• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 5,961 Views, 2,919 Comments

The Silver Stars - David Silver



The former human known as Silver has attempted to throw his life away, but neither Luna nor his wife, Night Watch will tolerate this. He claims it was an impulse, but they will cure him of the deep breaks even if it means reassembling him from parts.

  • ...
47
 2,919
 5,961

PreviousChapters Next
86 - Choo Choo

Several days later, Silver, Twilight, Spike, and Rainbow Dash boarded a train headed for Manehattan. They were given exclusive use of one of the cars and made themselves comfortable on the broad cushioned seats that were more like beds than standard train chairs.

Rainbow smiled at Spike. "So, who're you gonna try and get an autograph from?"

They began chatting animatedly about comic series, and which ones were 'totally cool' or 'lame'. Silver looked to Twilight, speaking gently. "I was hoping to discuss a little something."

Twilight perked an ear. "You've looked like you had something on your mind for a few days now. What's up?"

Silver huffed softly. "Nothing too big a deal, it's just, since you made the princess circle, we shouldn't confuse things more than they already are. I wanted to make sure we're on the same page with the herd?"

Twilight looked confused a moment before she caught up. "Oh! I see, yes. I suppose I don't need to marry into the herd if we're already bound together."

Twilight pinkened a moment and nodded. "Then we're settled." She reached out and poked Silver on the nose. "See, no need to be scared. Just talk to me. I'm a reasonable pony."

Silver nuzzled Twilight softly. "You're too good to me. Looking forward to the convention?"

Twilight smiled and chuckled. "I'm coming for Spike. Comics are not my kind of book."

Spike wandered over to them. "Hey, did you read today's paper?"

Twilight tilted her head. "I didn't get a chance to grab a copy before we left."

Spike produced one and handed it to twilight. "You two are on the cover!"

There it was, big as day. 'Princesses to Attend...' Twilight sighed softly. "I'm not sure which was worse, being unknown, or this. It wouldn't bother me as much if we didn't have enemies of late."

Spike raised a brow. "Enemies? What enemies?"

Silver tilted her head at Spike. "Didn't you see we got attacked at the coronation?"

Spike waved a claw. "I wasn't there. 'Ponies only' or something like that. I'm guessing it wasn't any big deal."

Twilight gave a little nod. "Silver and I handled the situation, with some timely assistance from Night. But they are at large." She frowned a little. "Maybe we should turn back."

Spike's expression fell, and Silver spoke up, "Twilight, we promised Spike. We can handle ourselves, can't we? Besides, we've made promises to the convention itself. If we don't show up, it'll be a huge deal. We'll make a lot of ponies very sad."

Rainbow suddenly landed in the middle of them. "Did I hear right? Somepony's gonna try and make some trouble on my watch? Don't worry, Twilight, I'll keep you safe." Rainbow nodded firmly. "You've got a pegasus for eyes in the sky. Nopony will get close to you."

Silver drew out her spell book. She flipped back and forth a moment before an idea came to her and she began scribing a new spell. It came slowly at first, but she quickly found her old groove and was smiling broadly as she worked. "I forgot how fun it is to make a spell."

Twilight scowled a little. "There you go, just doing that so casually. Show it to me when you're done."

"Aye aye." Silver crossed out the last section of the spell and went back over it, trying to juggle the variables in her head. "Maybe one more theta..." It wasn't until supper time that Silver set the book down, looking satisfied.

Twilight perked an ear at her. "So, what's that supposed to do? That took a while. You normally finish in minutes, not hours."

Silver tilted her head and nodded. "It was very complicated. Not powerful, but delicate." She rose to her hooves and stretched. "And I'm ready for some food."

Twilight pointed at Silver. "We'll get some, but you're not getting away without telling us what you've been working on all day."

Silver gestured out the window. "Remember that foal-cleaning spell we made together?"

Twilight chuckled a little. "It cleaned you, if I remember."

Silver stuck out her tongue. "Beside the point. The spell could track and identify several ponies in a crowd, and that's the part I needed. In this case, it should make any pony using actual spells glow like a christmas tree."

Spike blinked with a huh. "Christmas tree?"

"Oh, uh, Hearth's Warming tree?"

Spike gave a thumbs up. "Gotcha."

Twilight rolled a hoof as her speech started to become frantic. "What if somepony's using a perfectly harmless spell? What if we're attacked physically? What if they're far away?"

Rainbow set a hoof on Twilight's withers. "Easy there, Twi. No need to melt down. We have this under control. Just believe in me, Rainbow Danger Dash!"

It was time for food, worries or not, and they pulled the provided rope to summon service. A smiling pegasus arrived and took their orders. When she left, a letter was left in her trail. Silver plucked it up with her magic. She unfolded it and scanned over it.

Dear Princess Silver Stars,

Sorry it took so long to get this to you. Your little excursion has drawn them out of hiding. They're moving against you, my little bird of the night. This will be your best chance to catch them, or for them to catch you. Look for a big yellow horse of a pony, or a little nerd of a unicorn with off-purple fur. They're desperate enough to attack you in public, so be on watch always.

Hugs and Kisses,
Starlight

Twilight tugged at the letter lightly with her magic. "What is that?" Silver let her have it and Twilight was soon frowning. "Why is Starlight Glimmer sending you clandestine letters?"

Silver shrugged. "I told you she promised to send one. She said she'd tell me who to look for, and here it is. She did what she promised she'd do."

Twilight sighed. "I suppose she did at that. I don't trust her." She shook her head. "But you already knew that. I couldn't convince Fluttershy not to trust Discord, I doubt I'll get through to you. I can only hope you do as well as she did."

Rainbow pointed at the letter. "So, big yellow and little purple? I'll have them pinned down in no time at all."

Twilight raised a hoof. "Don't go leaping at every yellow pony you see. Just keep an eye on them. I'm sure there's more than one large yellow pony in a city the size of Manehatten, or small purple unicorns." She raised a brow. "I would have qualified before becoming a princess."

The food arrived on brightly-polished trays. Well-cooked and tasty, conversations died down in favor of filling bellies. Spike was enjoying a plate full of emeralds and sapphires. Silver perked an ear at Spike. "So... What's it like, eating a rock like that?"

Spike shrugged softly. "Ever eat hard candy?" Silver nodded. "Like that. I crunch it up and it's like a little taste explosion. Sometimes I suck on it and let it melt instead. Either way works, but it's different."

"Like hard candy..." Silver nodded slowly with understanding. "An expensive habit. How did you ever enjoy it before Twilight became a princess?"

Spike hiked a thumb in the vague direction of Ponyville. "Well Rarity could find gems, that helped! I'd dig them up and she'd let me eat some of them. We both won! Shame she couldn't come with us to the convention."

Rainbow Dash gave a soft pfft. "She's probably working on a dress or something."

Spike raised a claw. "Actually yes. She's getting ready for the next big fashion show. She'll be in Manehattan in a month or two, funny enough. Maybe I'll go with her then." He got a dreamy look in his eyes, likely plotting out their visit far in advance.

Twilight shook her head, "I'm just glad you came along, Rainbow. I haven't been spending enough time with my old friends."

Rainbow smiled brightly. "Good to be here! Uh, Applejack would have come along, but she has to work. She said to send her best."

Twilight nodded. "I know that feeling. We'll be sure to get her a souvenir. What about Pinkie and Fluttershy?"

Spike snorted. "We want to attend the convention, not crash it. Pinkie thinks every convention is an unending party."

Twilight sighed and sank. "And she'll do whatever it takes to make sure that's true, I get it. And Fluttershy?"

Rainbow chuckled. "You really want to put Fluttershy in a room full of pushing and jostling ponies all talking eagerly about comic book heroes?"

Twilight flopped onto the bed/cushion. "Granted. Well at least my number one assistant is here, and you, Rainbow Dash." Twilight gave a smile and sat up. "We should arrive in the morning, let's get some sleep before then. We want to be fresh for what promises to be a very full weekend."

Rainbow rolled her eyes as she began to draw down the blinds on the windows. "Full of something alright. I'll be ready for it."

The car became still and quiet, and soon enough sleep came to its inhabitants. Manehattan could wait one more evening for them.

Author's Note:

Let's go to Manehattan! I hear even the typos are famous there!

PreviousChapters Next