• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 5,970 Views, 2,919 Comments

The Silver Stars - David Silver



The former human known as Silver has attempted to throw his life away, but neither Luna nor his wife, Night Watch will tolerate this. He claims it was an impulse, but they will cure him of the deep breaks even if it means reassembling him from parts.

  • ...
47
 2,919
 5,970

PreviousChapters Next
34 - Combination Potion

It had been three days of learning the basics before Silver felt up to trying a combination of two simple potions. She looked at the two, then back at the reference chart for ingredients, then back at the recipes, then flopped onto her haunches with a frown.

Zecora tilted her head, "Is something amiss?"

Silver shook her head, "Just don't see the pattern like I did with unicorn spells. I could make an intellectual guess, but it'd just be a guess. I definitely don't have the confidence to suggest anyone actually drink the result." She frowned a little as she looked between the two recipes again, "The diplomats are probably going to be upset."

Zecora glanced upwards, "Let us find out." She was gone swiftly, and returned with them in tow. "She has put in effort true, but her talent is no use for you," said Zecora on the way back.

The diplomats looked saddened at the news as the stallion spoke, "I trust Equestria will continue to share its discoveries of magic with us."

This made Silver's tufted ear perk, "What can zebras do with unicorn magic?"

The mare smiled, "It is always such a surprise to be reminded how little our allies know of us. We have troubled you long enough, and have other places to visit. Peace on you." They bowed in unison and saw themselves out.

Silver looked after them, then turned to Zecora, "They took that rather well."

Zecora tilted her head, "If I may be frank, you have me to thank. Their ire was fierce, but short. I convinced them to return and report."

Silver bobbed her head quickly, "Well, thank you. I did my best..." She nudged the recipe book, "Don't they want their books?"

Zecora glanced down at them, "You will find it more useful than they. Study it perhaps to learn a new way?"

Silver noticed something then, "Oh... you're rhyming again. Does that mean the lessons are over?"

Zecora just nodded. Silver advanced and nuzzled her shoulder, "Thank you for being an awesome teacher. You'll still be around, right? I didn't stop having this foal."

Zecora nodded once more, "Princess Twilight was quite clear, to you I should remain near. Until the foal has tasted air, you can trust that I'll be there."

Silver turned and started cleaning up the potion-making supplies when she heard new clip-clops approaching. Turning, she beheld Night Watch, who looked a little different. Silver tapped her chin thoughtfully before it hit her, "Oh!"

Night looked back at Silver, blinking through her glasses, "Oh? Did the spell-combining work for potions?"

Silver shook her head quickly, "No, but you're growing." Silver moved up quickly with a smile.

Night snorted, "Don't remind me. Big fat mother is not a title I'm looking forward to, and it's your fault."

Silver nuzzled Night, rubbing snout-to-snout until her frown turned into a light smile. "You aren't really angry, are you?"

Night nipped at Silver's cheek with sharp teeth, "No, silly pony, but I'm fairly sure one foal's enough." She perked an ear at Zecora, "Unless I'm getting a pair?"

Zecora shook her head, "Neither of you bear twins today. There are two foals between you on the way. With mothers as healthy as the two, the foals should come easily for you." She turned and trotted off after the good news, leaving Night and Silver alone.

Night rubbed noses with Silver fondly, "Are you happy?"

Silver perked an ear, "That's a sudden and deep question... I suppose I am. I have a family that I love so much, with more on the way. We're stable, with a network of friends." Silver shrugged softly, "Even Twilight seems to be warming up. I'm not sure what more I could ask for right now."

Night wrinkled her nose lightly, "Not even to be a stallion again?"

Silver shuffled in place, "Low blow... Right now, this very instant, I am happy. When I have succeeded as a mother, I can face the next challenge. What about you?"

Night extended a wing to point towards the center of town, "I met Mayor Mare and she put me in contact with the right pony. You're looking at the town's night watchpony. This is not a very... exciting town, but everypony's nice enough, give or take."

Silver's ears twitched, "I hear a but."

Night went flat-lipped a moment before she sighed out, "But, it's also kind of boring? There isn't a lot of call for a... warrior. When I worked for Luna, she would send me out on exciting missions. Even if I was only watching, it was important watching. Watching a sleepy rural town is like the opposite of that."

Silver sagged a little, "Well... I don't want you bored... How can I help?"

Night looked quite uncertain, taking a moment to adjust her glasses, "Well... If we're not doing exciting things on account of foals, we can at least spend more time together. Now that you're done messing with silly potions, how about you take me out on the town?"

Silver smiled brightly, "It would be a pleasure. Do you want to go alone, or should we invite Fast along?"

Night tapped her chin with a hoof, "Let's bring her along. She always makes a fun situation more so. I'll go get her, you go pretty up."

Ever since Night and Fast had seen her with managed mane and tail, they never let Silver go back to her natural spiky appearance. With a bit of a grump, Silver trotted off and proceeded to get dressed for the evening ahead.

Silver emerged to the appreciative nods of her herd-sisters. The front door opened just then, admitting Twilight and Spike. Spike noticed the three of them all gussied up, "What's the occasion?"

Twilight looked over the three, "Did I miss a holiday?"

Fast flashed a bright smile, "Girls' night out. Want to come, Twilight?"

Twilight looked hesitant a moment before she bobbed her head. Spike crossed his arms, "Wouldn't want to go on a froufrou thing anyway." He stormed off in a bit of a sulk. Twilight, oblivious to it, marched off, and soon returned with her own pretty-work completed.

"Where to?" she asked.

And so they were off. The first stop was the nicest eating spot Ponyville could support, where they sat around a round table and talked over the tasty food.

"Oh thank Celestia," sighed out Twilight, having just been told neither of the expectant mothers were having twins.

Fast nudged against Twilight, "You sound especially happy about that."

Twilight shook her head, "I don't mean it like that, but, well... I'm barely getting my mind around being mother...father? Parent! Of one foal. I know the Cakes are handling theirs pretty well."

Night reached across the table with a wing, poking Twilight, "You're not alone. Even if you don't join us formally... I don't think I'm alone in saying you're part of us."

Fast quickly nodded, and Silver followed. Silver smiled gently, "If you need anything, don't feel shy about it. We're one family, fancy titles or not."

Twilight flushed a little as she wriggled in place, "I... thank you..." She let out a slow breath, and her tension went with it. "You really want to be with me like that? I'm a bit... neurotic. And I'm... obsessive, and I hide in my books all the time, and..."

Night shook her head slowly, "You're describing things we've learned to find endearing, and they aren't absolutes anyway."

Silver put up a false wall of bravery as she spoke, "You just get sexier when you're obsessing over something."

Twilight went red through her lavender fur, "You're joking!"

Fast wobbled a hoof, "Afraid it's true. You're just an adorable alicorn. The more you get fixated, the more I want to tackle you to the ground and offer a... distraction."

Twilight's wings extended stiffly as her eyes went downcast, unable to form a reply.

Night tilted her head, "My turn! Tell me why I'm sexy."

Silver reached and gently tapped Night's glasses, "You're cute with them on, and taking them off makes you look dangerous, and I like that."

Fast bobbed her head, "When you analyze my madness, I feel like you can see through me, and that makes me want you all the more."

Silver and Fast looked to Twilight, who looked back and forth between them, "What? Oh! Uh..." She shrank a little, "I... want to be wrapped up in those wings..."

Fast slapped the table with a hoof, "You did not!" She burst into gales of laughter, collapsing. Night was as red as she could be, silent.

Twilight looked to Silver, "Did I do it wrong? I'm sorry!"

Silver shook her head quickly, "You did it very right. If you don't mind my echoing, I also think Night's wings are wonderful. When she holds me in them, I feel... so safe."

Night cleared her throat and adjusted her glasses in a double gesture of composure, "I do believe it's Fast's turn. Fast Change, I find your earnest expression of your feelings to be a buoy in my life. You lift me in dark times, and bring me to happiness in light times. You are the white to my black, and I couldn't dream of life without you now."

Fast's laughter died quickly, and it became her turn to color, "Oh... oh Night... That was so..." She leaned in and kissed Night on either cheek, "I love you too."

Twilight raised a hoof, "Your honest expression of affection is something for me to strive for. I doubt I'll ever get as good at it as you are, but I am glad to have you around."

Silver took her turn, "Fast, you're sexy as hell." Blunt, but Fast seemed to appreciate that. "You're also optimistic, clever, and best of all, you put up with me. Thank you for being with us."

Twilight pointed at Silver, "Your turn, hmm. Well, I'll start with the obvious... You were my first, and you accepted me even when I was being rude. You have a searching intellect, and you like to read."

Fast wobbled a hoof, "Go on."

Twilight darkened, "I... was consi--"

The doors to the restaurant exploded inwards as the lights were snuffed out abruptly. Silver saw flashes of magic as it happened. Twilight surrounded the table with a sudden force field that only Silver could see in the dark.

Loud clip-clops filled the area. Silver shrank a little, wondering why her eyes couldn't penetrate the gloom. She could hear ponies being shoved to the ground with cries of fear and alarm. Night whispered softly, "We should leave." Silver heard her wings unfurl just before Silver was grabbed in big paws. Before Silver could panic, she smelled Fast's scent and knew she was safe. The bubble suddenly shuddered violently and Twilight grunted with effort.

Twilight let the bubble vanish, and Silver could see nothing. She felt movement. Fast was going somewhere with her. They emerged through the window of the eatery, crashing past and flying off into the night, leaving the attack behind.

It seemed life was taking a new direction.

Author's Note:

This chapter. I like it.

It probably has typos. I don't like those. Why couldn't those un-described attackers go after the typos instead and let Twilight finish her words? I'm pretty sure they were important.

PreviousChapters Next