• Published 23rd Mar 2015
  • 4,614 Views, 236 Comments

Book, Blade, and A Whole Lot of Magic - Frustaz



"Revolution lead to imprisonment, but was it worth it, Celestia?" The Magus calls out, accusing her gaoler. A story of a lost human and her time in Equestria.

  • ...
40
 236
 4,614

Chapter 7

The lunar diarch raised her eyebrow. "Nyx? Someone named after the night like myself?" Luna had laid beside me, as I began to relax a bit more. I leaned back against the boulder, my eyes drifting over the storm, nodding at her question. "That is quite flattering to hear. Did you name Nyx or--?"

"Nah, she chose that name for herself." I chuckled, stretching out my legs to hang off the edge of our shared platform, quietly thinking. "She should be joining us soon." I took a look to the dreamscape once more, frowning lightly. The rain had turned to snow, as the ripples of the past began to play once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve grown to hate winter. I learned that the local ponies push the seasons into place normally, but the castle decides the day that winter should officially arrive. The little farming village I live near begged for delays, crying out for just a few more days of sunlight to finish a harvest, but the governor, Velvet Mark as he was called, denied them.

Those extra few days would have made a harvest possible. It would have provided enough for Velvet Mark’s winter ‘tax.’ He didn’t work those fields. All he ever did was call upon the guards to get his way. He infuriated me, but I did nothing. I was not willing to make the village an enemy more than my figure did.

I brought firewood daily to town. I set it into their fireplaces, cast a simple fire spell, and warmed their homes. All for a single bit a week. Even when they couldn’t pay, I still did it, telling them to ‘worry about it later.’

Butter Cream and I had started teaching the children Claw-Sign at the start of fall. That made my communication problem easier, especially with how raspy my voice sounded once I tried testing it, but it earned me a few glares from concerned parents. I didn’t care. Even if it was little ones, I could socialize more, and learn from them as they learned from me. Some of them had some really simple names which I couldn’t take seriously at first, like Potato, the spotted beige foal an unruly mane. Others had names I came to expect, like Jack Knife, son of the local blacksmith, or Orange Blossom, daughter of one of the orchard workers. All of them little earth ponies.

Jack got me an apprenticeship with Anvil Breaker, his father. I spent 4 days of the week learning how to make nails, shoes, and even the occasional piece of jewelry.

I helped Orange Blossom pick fruit from the trees, and took a few home myself. Tiger Lily, her mother tried to get me to kick the trunk a few times, but it was met with a few laughs and a sore foot for a day.

Potato always goofed off, causing others to giggle, but he could incite things to grow faster if it had roots. A gift for magic. He brought me a orchid he grew one time, because he had a crush on me. It was sweet.

Jack Knife died two weeks into winter. Starved to death. The governor paid in gold for Anvil Breakers work. Gold doesn’t feed families. Anvil took his own life 3 days later. I never met his wife.

Orange Blossom was found dead in the snow, having gotten lost in the trees. Frostbite. Hypothermia. Her little bucket full of frozen oranges she found.

Potato almost made it. It was two weeks to the end of winter. He died having eaten a poisonous mushroom in desperation. I found him personally in his last moments. “Was I a good Potato, teacher?” I carried him into town. He was lighter than my sword.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The snow slowly turned grey and warm, becoming the ash as unbidden tears sprung to my eyes, the wounds fresh and infuriating. The echos became shadows amongst the falling soot, it's clarity lost once more.

“Illua… I’m sorry.”

“I didn’t want to show you that."

"We did not chose that avenue to explore. I believe the Dream did." Luna frowned a bit, her gaze tracing my line of sight, watching as the shadows congregated around square holes, headed by stone tablets. “The Dreamscape is a reflection of ourselves in many ways. One could call it the place where we heal the most." Luna extended a wing towards my shoulder, offering the invitation of comfort once more. “I may be its guardian, but it still can make decisions we might not agree with. The Dream chose for us to see it, so it must be important to you.” The nocturnal princess nudged me, her eyes no longer holding the gaze of a judge, but the look of a concerned friend. “We have yet a few more hours of night. Do you want to continue?”

I glared off into the distance, only to sigh, releasing the anger. "I'd like to trust you, if only because you are genuinely trying." I took up the offer this time, leaning against the soft side of the princess. "I would have to guess we might only have enough time to see my first encounter with her..." I mused quietly.

Thunder rolled at my mutterings, as if the Dream was chuckling at my defenses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The governor, who I finally learned was named Velvet Mark, passed gold coins and the lead to a cart laden with sealed clay pots to the weather enforcers, and they took winter with them when they left. I only scowled at them. My anger was directed at him and the enforcers, but I held back. Butter Cream tried to explain some of the physiology of Pegasi, but I ignored her.

I had began looking over Velvet Mark. He was somewhat portly for a unicorn, His white coat managing to barely hide that fact from most eyes. However, the violet mane he kept long reminded me of the elves of high fantasy. I couldn't help thinking how pretentiously he carried himself. He had a slight limp, probably from a hind leg injury from youth. These thoughts distracted me until Butter cream elbowed me. "Hey. We need to move." I snapped out of my stupor. The guards for his manor never seemed to like me, as most of the guards viewed me as a threat, especially after Potato's death. I nodded, pulling my cloak tight around me once more.

"I'm sorry, Cream puff." A silly nickname I had given her. She rolled her eyes under her helmet, marching right along side me.

"I know you've been out of it. It's my job to keep you out of trouble, I'd rather not have to find out you ended up in a cell in the guardhouse, Lulu." Her own nickname for me. It made me smile. "With spring finally here, the planting can start once more, and the town can start foraging safely once again. Especially after all the work you did over winter." Butter Cream grimaced. "I still can't believe you got me to eat that manticore stew."

Despite my addled mind, I still managed to grin. "Hey, you liked it. Don't complain. I took hours disenvenoming it." I sighed, releasing the smile from my face. "Hey, I've been thinking. I need some time away from town. I really need to study magic more. Do you think you could keep coming by the sanctum while I train?"

"Of course."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reassured that I wouldn't be alone, I threw my self into study. I unbound the grimoire, sorting the pages according to what kind of effect each spell had. I recognized all the spells almost immediately, containing the entire library of the Final Fantasy spell list, with additional spells appearing from Persona. While I might not ever need Titanomachia, it nice to know I can eventually perform it. The page was clear about the cost of the spells in regards to the game's meta-structure, many of the stronger ones costing most of my current pool of Mana, if not impossible to cast currently.

In the weeks that passed, I threw the book a few times. I had broken down crying as I found spells that could of saved lives only months prior. Thankfully, Butter Cream came by almost every day, and she comforted me during those nights I couldn't sleep from the guilt. I had Esuna this whole time. Potato didn't have to die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had curled up on the rock, pulling my knees to my chest as I stifled the tears. I had shed many for those foals and filly. I didn't need to more, even after three hundred years. The memories flashed between many practice sessions, peaceful moments with Butter Cream, and meals shared with the visitors who passed through my glen. Luna held up a hoof suddenly, pausing it as my past self looked over a spell labeled 'Cosmic Flare'

"What is this? It's incredibly complex and, if we are reading it correctly, has a horrifying amount of destructive power." Luna queried, her concerned expression looking over me.

“That’s a Nuclear spell, at least, the most powerful of them. I can't cast it, nor do I want to. Frei, the weakest of them, leaves a radioactive patch in the area that will probably take a while to deteriorate. Cosmic Flare, based on my understanding, could level Canterlot and the mountain it's on, while scattering its fallout over most of Equestria. I couldn't do that in good conscious. Titanomachia has some of the same destructive power, but it wouldn't leave such lasting damage."

"Oh... Oh dear. Please don't."

"Didn't plan on it."

“For fuck’s sake, it took me long enough to get in here. God Illua, it’s like you had shields up or— Oh, hey Moonbutt. Been a while. Have you been chatting with her the entire time, Lulu?” Nyx’s face welled up out of one of the many puddles upon the ground, rising like a wraith from the mud. Luna’s immediate reaction was of shock, then anger, and then calm. Nyx sat next to me, shrugging. “By all means, continue. I bet you’re showing her how we met, huh? ‘oh, I'm dying’ ‘I’ll help you!’ ‘Oh, thank you, kind lady.’ And then we murdered the governor!” Nyx summoned a pair of puppets representing herself and I, equipped with tiny swords. Luna was not amused.

“Illua. I’m assuming this Nightmare Fragment is the Nyx you spoke of.”

“Yes.”

“Hm.”

“Hm, indeed.”

“How attached to it are you?”

I glared at the dark alicorn. “Don’t touch her. Let’s finally get to the memory. I can sleep in late if I need to."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer had struck, and I opened the pill bottle. Barely half a pill remained. I grimaced. I had made it this far into my first year by weaning my self down to a half a pill a week, and finding ways to fight my disease with magic, but not even Esuna could cleanse this ailment. It could only push back the ticking clock.

I popped that half pill into my mouth, and began my daily routine. Hunt today’s food as combat practice, attempt another sigil and rune combination to fight my disease, and reinforce my sanctum more with more mana and stone. My little meadow now had paths where Butter Cream and I had worn the plants away, with the most worn being the one to town. I can’t go to town today. Butter Cream’s off duty today. Perhaps I can do some menu work.

I got comfortable, propping myself up on pillows I had made from fur and feathers, and swiped my ringed finger before me. My status showed a constant ticking ailment, but my overall stats had gone up since I had checked them last. A few new skills had popped up, with some minor benefits that explained my new proficiency with certain magic types and projects. So those epiphanies actually are reflected as rank increases. Nice. I had only spent a few moments exploring my menu before an alert overlaid it all.

[There is an update available to Displacement. Update to 1.32-EQ?]

Did I miss eight entire updates? I mean, it has been a while since I opened the menu. I pressed the confirmation, curious as to what those updates brought.

[Update Starting; Please Note, you will be made unconscious to adapt your form for the updated features. Time remaining: 72 hours.]

“What! No, nonononon-“ I cried out in my raspy voice as the darkness took me, leaving me slumped in bed.

In that darkness, I was conscious of the time passing. It was a lucid dream, but it was devoid of everything but the timer above me, with a progress bar.
"I'm going to die aren't I?" The thought of dying because of a stupid update frustrated me, but at least it would be in a peaceful sleep.
"Probably." A voice spoke out from the darkness, it's form missing from my sight.
"Who are you?"
"I've had many names, but you can call me Nyx. I'd like to make you an offer."
"What does it entail?" I was cautious. my physical body was vulnerable, and if I knew anything from fantasy, I knew that where magic was, demons existed.
"It's simple. I'll help keep you alive, you just allow me use of your body every so often."
"That's it? No 'unlimited power' offers for my eternal loyalty, no 'in exchange for my mortal soul, i'll give you everything you desire'?"
"What do you take me for? I've been shattered into a million bits and pieces. I need somepony to help me put myself back together. You're powerful enough if your practice sessions are anything to go by." The voice took a deadpan tone, with the edge of annoyance.
"Alright. I'll help you. You can use my body on occasion, you keep me alive. I'll see about helping you piece yourself back together if I can." I extended a hand. Honestly, Better a demon than dying. Does this make me a multiclass warlock now?
A hand similar to mine reached from the darkness, grey and cold as I shook it. I was vaguely aware of something entering my mind and chest, but I didn’t have the ability to respond more than a soft gasp in this dream state. "So.. You're stuck in this.. 'update' If I'm understand your words correctly." The figure stepped into full view, having become desaturated clone of myself with only a few differences. "I'm going to use you while you're stuck like this. Have fun waiting."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next time I had control, I woke up to Butter Cream shaking me, her eyes watery. “Why are you so hurt? Where have you been? I’ve been looking all over for you…” my blanket had wet dots from her tears, and I groaned in pain. “Why didn’t you leave me a note or tell me anything?!”

“Ow… Hey Creampuff, what’s wrong? Why do I hurt all over?” I sat up, groaning from the soreness from bruises I hadn’t remembered. “Butter Cream, how long have I been gone?”

“I found you here just a few minutes ago, because I decided to see if you had come home. It’s been almost 5 days.” She sniffled a couple times, before pulling out a square of cloth, blowing into it. “I have to get back to HQ to report your appearance… Don’t leave. I’m bringing back a medic.” Butter Cream took off, flying back to town.

"You're much more powerful than I thought. Durable too."
I looked around, before facepalming. Right, deal with a demon.
I can read your thoughts too you know, Illua.
Great, I don't have to vocalize. What the hell did you do?
Fought a dragon, broke a few ribs, used a few of your healing spells to get you back here alive. Your bag of holding has the corpse in it. The sensations from your pain are wonderful.
Sadist.
You better fucking believe it. Meanwhile, I did already find one of my fragments in the dragon, so our deal is already off to a great start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nyx was giggling, eating popcorn produced from somewhere. Luna couldn't believe it. "Yep. Great start to our relationship." I giggled as well. "You were an abusive little shit when we first bonded." I nudged Nyx. "Either way, I was in pain for all of summer because of her first spin with my body, so Butter Cream ended up moving in with me to make sure I didn't hurt myself."

"Me, Abusive? Never." her tone sarcasting, but her mirth was becoming infectious. "It was fucking hilarious she brought a vet to come look at you."

Luna was confused. "Wha-- H-How canst thou even be mirthful with this... evil?!" Luna had slipped back into her archaic speech, flustered from our banter. "It caused the rift between Celestia and myself, and proceeded to dominate my mind. How?"

"Blame your sister. When she blasted you and I with the Elements, she shattered me and sealed you in the moon. Your omnipotent mcguffin of rehabilitation actually changed me to be less 'take over the minds of my host and control the world' and more willing to be cooperative. Honestly, best mistake I made was bonding with you." Nyx said to Luna, grinning as the night princess became more agitated.

"How dare you! you do not know the pain of--"
"Being sealed in the moon for a thousand years? Uh, yeah I do.The fragment of me that was sealed with you was returned to me when the new Elements blasted you again. I have those memories as well. Also, I really need to ask.. why the fuck did you name a rock Skippy?" the starry haired nightmare interrupted her previous host, smirking at the end of her interruption.

The sun began to rise in the dream, bringing light to the dark plains. "It seems dawn is around the corner." Luna commented. "While it was a pleasure to meet you, and learn that you're much more compassionate than my sister insinuated, I'm surprised the Nightmare survived."

I only shrugged. "Well, considering she's helping and being good compared to what she did to you, I'd say it's probably the best result."

"Keep her in check, otherwise I will find a way to purge it." Luna began walking away, her form slowly fading.

"Bite me, don't forget to write, Exxy~" Nyx called out, earning a scowl from the departing guest.

"Well, that went pretty alright."
"Is she gonna become your nightly therapist or something?"
"Don't know, but at least I can say one of the princesses isn't a complete bitch. Plus, I could honestly use the mental health assistance, and I know I can't afford it."
"So what now?"
"Well, since you know of them.. Tell me about the new Elements, since you have the memories."

Author's Note:

Took me long enough.

Also, I think this is my Longest chapter currently.

Please leave a comment if you see anything I can refine/fix. I'm heading to bed.