• Published 23rd Mar 2015
  • 4,607 Views, 236 Comments

Book, Blade, and A Whole Lot of Magic - Frustaz



"Revolution lead to imprisonment, but was it worth it, Celestia?" The Magus calls out, accusing her gaoler. A story of a lost human and her time in Equestria.

  • ...
40
 236
 4,607

Chapter 10-2: In the Dragon's Den

Ah… I wonder how that old reaper is doing. He hasn’t come by in a decade or so to check on me…

Byrviss rapped on the heavy, metal door of Ylbe’s room, quietly awaiting in the dim light given off by the paper lanterns. The padding of soft skin on metal alerted him to stand back, before the door was wrenched open by a human woman of short stature, with long flowing hair held in place behind her by the strip of fabric attached to the back of her short robe. Her piercing violet eyes showed intense disdain for the azure dragonkin. “What do you need, before I turn you into a fresh set of leathers? I’m currently feeding.” Venom dripped in her voice, contrasting sharply to her soft features.

“You’re feeding on the chrysalis again? The Emperor requires it, and you’re gonna kill him at this rate, parasite.” The dragon’s gnarled wings flared as he loomed over her, pushing her aside with a heavy claw.

“Oh, poor baby, it’s not like he’s immortal and safe in his pod.” Ylbe snorted, her eyes narrowing as her sanctum was invaded by the creature. “If you’d stop sucking the Emperor’s dick for once in your pathetic life, you’d actually be able to enjoy yourself once in a while. I’ve offered.” Picking up her staff, she went and retrieved her dark tights from the bed, pulling them up over her slender legs that lead up to shapely hips hugged by black lace. Byrviss looked away, focusing on the metallic tube with the strange knight inside, protected by a durable, stain-glass mural on the front, showing a simplified rendition of him.

“If not for the fact we’ve had to remove the smiling corpses from your bedchambers, I may have taken you up upon your rather… intimate offerings.” Byrviss scratched the back of his head, the tips of his claws digging between the rumpled ridges. “Along with the fact I cannot simply go request one of the geisha from the lower hills, as I bear our Master’s infectious gift..” The herald sighed as he went to lift the ornate coffin, only to feel the witch’s soft skin wrap around his waistline.

“All you have to do is ask, and I can be yours for a night… I’d love to have a taste…” Ylbe purred, only for her hands to be knocked away. “Fine. Continue to suffer. I still have to play the role I was requested in Frustaz’s awakening.”

“I know. You will need to continue scrying upon the other creature of your kin, who slayed the thrall we sent to Equestria. Do not touch me again, whore. Find something else to get your fill, as I will not be your toy.” the Herald snarled as he spun around to face Ylbe, a quiet smirk on her face.

“Oh I’ll get my fill today. Send a messenger to retrieve me one of the horned kirin from below, preferably male this time and I’ll leave you alone.” Ylbe, chuckling, waved her staff and lifted the stasis pod, guiding it out the door. “Now lead, fang-speaker, so we can finish this sooner than later. I’m still hungry, and your soul is looking tastier by the moment.”


Ylbe’s heels clicked on iron floors, her ethereally beautiful magic swaddling the stasis pod with a faint blue aura, while pastel cherry petals danced in an untold wind. To Byrviss, the smell of lavender and chamomile always wafted off her tender flesh, regardless of how long it may have been since her last bath. The other Kinfolk dubbed her the Witch of Flowers, and regarded her magecraft as something to be marvelled at, and her unique appearance amongst them as a prize to claim. They knew not of her dark desires, or her cursed diet of souls.

She politely waved at her fellow retainers, a cute smile plastered on her face as she inquired about the weather outside, how the hatchlings were doing, and if she should go for sashimi tonight with the fresh haul from the waters having come in. All it did was hide the monster only two knew her to be.

As they approached the doors to the Emperor’s den, Byrviss whispered to one of the guards. “Bring a male Kirin up to the guest house. Horned preferably. Madame Ylbe’s request.” The drake saluted, his ornamental armor jingling lightly as he quickly hurried.

“My, you’ve actually gotten your Frenzy under control enough to not need my help anymore.” A mischievous giggle escaped the Witch, earning another glare from the Fang-Speaker. She rapped lightly on the door with her crystalline staff, clearing her throat. “Great Master of Sky and Sea, Byrviss and I have brought the requested chrysalis, and I am ready to assist at your leisure.” Ylbe’s voice called out, echoing faintly in the expansive hall before the door.

“Enter, my most loyal of retainers.” Despite the thick doors, the booming bass still reverberated off the pillars and walls. The other guard stepped back from the door nearly forty feet, and pulled on an ornate rope and ring, allowing a smaller set of doors to open from the main ones. His distance was warranted, as black miasma crept out of the renewed opening, emanating nearly twenty feet before the edges of it sputtered out and evaporated in the light of the setting sun.

The dragonoid let the human proceed first, leading the pod in after her. He followed closely, his tail pulling shut, sealing the room once more. Ylbe shifted on her feet, her trailing hair swishing behind her as her excitement escaped from her. Byrviss knelt once more, having entered the for the second time today. “We have brought the pod as requested, Sir.”

“Ylbe, my dear, tell me what you have gleaned from this dreaming knight.” Zarkesh’s tone was much softer than before, as he rested his head close to the mage. Byrviss dared not look up, lest he reveal the thinly-veiled disdain for the adopted imperial.

She giggled in delight, as the hot breeze that made up the Emperor’s breath ruffled her hair and robes. “He’s actually one of my kin, surprisingly. Well.. Former kin.” Stepping back, she trailed her fingers over the container. “Frustaz here once was human like myself, but he sought out a precious sister of his. From what I gleaned, I look very similar to that sister, and I’ve used his dreams and a few teachers here for Claw-Sign. Until he becomes enthralled, I will be mimicking her, so I won’t speak.”

The Fang-Speaker’s head snapped up, a mixture of shock and disgust on his face. “My Lord, I mean no disrespect, but should we really interfere with the bonds of the heart in this manner?” He stood, his claws splayed. “I have no doubt that his sister may well not even be in this realm, but should we really twist him so?”

“So what do you suggest, herald?” the ruling imperial’s glittering amber eye locked upon Byrviss, the shadowy miasma growing thicker around the raised dais.

Byrviss scratched the whiskers under his jaw. “Preferably, I would deign to be honest with him. What is a partnership if it is not based on a level of trust? If the ancient stories are true, he is the master of wendigos and the Equestrian’s Incarnation of Winter. A powerful ally such as-”

“‘--Should be respected with all of the honor that comes with their titles,’ yes, we know that, Byrviss. But I highly doubt we can just allow him to leave.” Ylbe interjected, crossing her arms under her chest. “I figure you of all kinfolk, with the effort it took to smuggle him from the crystal caverns under Canterlot, would be more willing to go with this.” Ylbe raised her eyebrow, her violet eyes piercing the gloom with a look of smug satisfaction.

“Refrain from squabbling in my presence. If you really must fight, go to the feuding grounds. I will not tolerate any further hawkish jousts at each other.” Zarkesh intersected between the two retainers, One eye trained on each of them with a fiery glow. “We will be enthralling Frustaz, and Ylbe will assist in awakening, and act to gain the modicum of trust we need. Byrviss, Either you will remain and act to defend her in the event he does become hostile, or you shall await your discipline outside.”

Reluctantly, he stepped down into the black fog, and claimed his prized nagamaki and tedate from beside the door. Returning with his armaments, Byrviss nodded to his leader. “I await further guidance, your majesty.”

Zarkesh pushed up into a sitting position, resting on his fore and hind legs, whilst his wings curled around himself. “Begin, Ylbe.” She nodded as she waved her staff once more, turning the Stasis chamber vertical. Her eyes faintly glowed as she began to draw on the powers of the succubus granted to her, invading the dreams of the slumbering warrior.


I smiled like a damned fool, as I followed my little sister through the crowd, watching as she bounced from booth to booth. Her flowing white hair stood out amongst the cosplayers, at least to me. PIkachu? Eevee? Shark? She questioned, raising up three plushies in succession, her fingers fluttering.

“Which one do you feel would fit you best? Honestly, I think the Eevee would fit you best.” I replied, my soft tenor always grabbing her attention. I turned to look around at one of the other booths, only for an intense loud pop to ring out.

The world dulled and became grey, and everything slowed to a halt, before disintegrating into a featureless black void with a single spotlight. Out in the distance, I could see a pale figure, who was actively walking up to me, practically bouncing with each step. That is when I became lucid in my dream-prison.

“Naru?” I called out, my voice echoing as the groan of my thick armor returned, the mask projecting my voice once more. The at-first unfamiliar girl jumped and tackled me, hugging me tightly in the dreamscape.

“Naru, is that really you?”

Yes it’s me, although there’s a lot I need to tell you. The finger movements were a perfect match, despite the slight difference in her appearance. Her eyes were no longer the icy blue I knew them, and her skin was a few shades lighter, but It was her. It’s time to wake up.

“How did you even find me? I.. How?” I couldn’t stop the confusion from invading my voice, running my hand over the almost featureless helmet. “You’re not in the same clothes I remember you disappearing in. Where’s the grimoire you bought from that Merchant?”

I had lots of help from the dragons I’m outside of your stasis pod with. Do you know how to wake yourself up, or do I need to do something on the outside? Her query got my attention.

“Dragons? Am I not with Celestia and Luna?” I pulled the mask off my face, taking a moment to breath as my own snowy hair glistened in the spotlight.

You’ve lost a lot of weight and toned up, haven't you? No, you’re not with Celestia and Luna. They left your capsule in an abandoned ruin in the hopes that you wouldn’t wake up. We are definitely not in Equestria in the slightest, Jay.

I frowned a bit at that revelation, but I brushed it away from my thoughts. “Okay, so how long have I been sleeping? If you say a very specific number I’m gonna scream.”

1000 years, give or take.

“GOD FUCKING DAMMIT. Of course- of course.” I shouted, before bringing myself back down to a more civil level. “Celestia has a goddamn fetish with that number. I’m gonna throttle her the next time I see her. Especially if she knew you were walking around.”

So… How do we open your pod so you can meet the Dragon Emperor? He’s pretty much adopted me and has kept me safe since I had to grow up again.

“Oh, That’s great to hear you’ve been safe then. This is what you need to do in order to open my Cryostasis pod…”


Ylbe opened her eyes, giggling. “God, it’s surprisingly easy.” She reached over and tapped on the panel in the front, where as a familiar tri-pronged controller shot out. “L and R + Up, C-Right, R + Left, R + Up, Up, R + Right, Up, L and R + C-Down, L and R + Down, L and R + C-Left…” Her fingers deftly put in the code as told, confusing the two dragons in the room at her strange familiarity with the device.

“That looks vaguely like one of those entertainment devices Shirvata makes over in the western lowlands.” Zarkesh mused, a slight chuckle escaping the dragon lord.

“For all intents and purposes, it’s a replica of one, and he put a code from an ancient game as his ‘unlock code’.” Ylbe sighed with a tinge of nostalgia, a smile on her face as the pod vented cold gasses, hissing audibly in the royal cavern. She stepped back as the segmented door parted, exposing him to the air of the cavern.

“Ugh.. Naru?” The armored man called from beneath his visor, as he slowly pushed himself out of his once sealed bedchamber. Byrviss steadied himself, leveling the blade towards Frustaz. “Huh…” He looked up at the Emperor, and then Byrviss, the golden arches on the top of his helmet being the only orienting feature.

“Jayson, I’m over here.” Ylbe waved over at him, whipping his head quickly towards her. “I’m sorry, do you prefer Frustaz now?”

“I’m sorry, what?” His eyes looked over her, before chuckling. “God, you look like Merlin. When did you start speaking?”

“Ylbe, or Naru as you know her, has been in my service for many years, after she proved herself amongst the dragonkin. I restored her ability to speak with my gift.” Zarkesh moved his head forward into the light, his eyes piercing the darkness.

Immediately, Frustaz knelt before the Emperor. “I must apologize. I should have been respectful of your presence.” putting an armored fist over his heart, he turned his gaze downward.

Ylbe chuckled, but Zarkesh smirked, revealing a toothy grin. “Rise, Knight of Winter.” Frustaz rose to his feet, the heavy boots clunking on the metallic platform. “In respect to your sister here, I would like to offer you a position as one of my retainers.”

The knight hummed, running his hand over where his chin should be. “Might I have some to think? I’d like to get reacquainted with my sister first, if that is too steep a request.” Byrviss narrowed his glare, but lowered his blade. Ylbe giggled softly, hiding her smile behind a sleeved arm.

“Very well. Ylbe, please take him to see our city while you two reconnect. I would like to have an answer no later than sunset tomorrow.” Zarkesh nodded down to the trio, before retreating once more into the dark reaches of the den.

“Byrviss, do you think you can arrange a guest room for Frustaz here?” Ylbe looked up pleadingly to the herald of Zarkesh, leaning close to him.

“I can do that, Madame Ylbe. Please, go enjoy a dinner or something.”


“So… Frost Prime, huh?” Ylbe giggled, as they took seats in a tiny restaurant, who’s bar was protected by a thick canvas flap, painted with the script of the eastern dragons. The smell of meat and soy was thick in the air inside, and the constant bubbling of broth could be heard interspersed with chops of blade on wood.

“Yeah. Surprised?” The helmet lay on the bar, exposing the man’s face, a stark contrast to the dragonkin surrounding him. “I chose this armor back when I was hunting conventions for that merchant prick. I even made a few weapons myself to fight him. It originally was a canvas and kevlar affair, but it’s not anymore.” The clink of a pair of bowls before the two humans wafted the smell of an old favorite; Ramen. “Hey, Na- I mean, Ylbe. You go by that now, don’t you?”

Ylbe pulled out a pair of chopsticks from a pocket inside her robe, and had just picked up a piece of browned meat. “Yeah, that was the name I was given by my mother here. I was reborn, so I’m no longer sick and mute like I used to be. It's… really nice to talk.”

“So, that explains why you look like Proto-Merlin now.” Taking his own bite of food, with the forks provided, he quietly slurped a few noodles coated in egg yolk. “So… What’s happened in Equestria if you know?”

Fuck, that’s right. He’s a fan of the show from Earth. “Well… I’ve only heard rumors, since I haven’t been there. I didn’t even realize I was on Equus originally. Only things I’ve had confirmed are Luna’s return, Discord’s escape, and Twilight’s ascension.”

“Hm. So we aren’t there yet in the timeline.. Well, that’s fine. I’ll probably make myself known again eventually to the sisters, but that’s not important right now. Also, what exactly is in this? It’s fantastic, but I definitely know it’s not beef.” He isolated the meat in question, the faintly iridescent blue in the meat being muddled by broth.

“Bingrath. They were woolen beastkin in the northern mountain faces of Korohi, and were domesticated here. They look almost like a furry drake with a large hump back and long horns that turn blue with age.” she plucked her egg from its noodly nest, and chomped down on it.

“Okay, I don’t recognize that name. Where in Equus are we exactly?” Frustaz looked over at Ylbe, his brow arched, cheek bulging from the food.

“Far east, past the lands of Griffonstone, and definitely beyond the sea, which they call the Featherwake Ocean, we here in Zipangu call it Amatsu-kaiyo.” Another plate was set before the human duo, stacked with steaming white rounds of bread.

“Here’s those meat buns you wanted, Madame Ylbe. On the house.” The shopkeep smiled at her, before turning back to his other guests.

Frustaz looked over at the buns, blinking. “Those are huge.” He picked just one up, comparing it to the size of his head. “I could eat probably only one of these with this small bowl of ramen. Do we eat pretty light compared to the dragonkin here?”

“Yeah, even when you were being a fat ass way back when, you couldn’t match their appetite.” Ylbe giggled again, taking her own bun. He’s easy to work with. He’s also surprisingly honest. Ylbe’s eyes trailed down his form, the tenno-style armor both highlighting and concealing his bodies’ natural form. God, Seinaru, your brother’s hot.

“Hey, N- Ylbe? Ylbe?” He tapped her nose, breaking the mage’s focus. “Oi, stop staring girly, you’ll make the others jealous.” He put on his fakest scottish accent, before snickering himself. And he’s an absolute dork. I fucking love it.


The night swallowed the sky, as the full moon illuminated the roof tops, while lanterns were being lit by a small wyvern, bouncing from one post to another.

“So, Tell me about your emperor. He looks like a black Shagaru Magala… and that other retainer, Byrviss, looks like he’s a textbook example of a Dragonborn or Lizardfolk.” Frustaz and Ylbe had found themselves in a remote corner of the imperial gardens, near the guest house

“Well, compared to the western dragons of El Nera, which is the volcanic archipelago a little south of Griffonstone, that’s very common here. Why? Don’t know. But they call themselves Kinfolk. Everykin, somekin, similar to the ponies.” The mage of flowers shrugged, as the lanterns in these far corners were lit by the tiny workers.

“Emperor Zarkesh, and the prior emperors, all have been Elder Dragons. So yeah, he’s a Shagaru, but the ‘Frenzy’ he gives off is much more magic than just a mere virus. He also uses it to give power to his retainers or soldiers he favors. He probably will give you shard, depending on your decision tomorrow. Ylbe pulled her legs up, hiding her face. I’m gonna have to soundproof the room.. Or gag tonight's meal. Decisions, decisions….

“So, my cryopod. Where was it moved to?” the knight looked over at the curled up witch, before chuckling. “Getting tired?”

“Oh, uh, yeah.” How does he know? “Your pod is in the room we’ve set up for you. There’s going to be a guard outside if you do need anything during the night.”

“Good, I’m going to be cleaning my weapons.” Frustaz chuckled and picked Ylbe up like a princess, and began walking to the building.

“What ar- Why- I can walk just fine, asshole!” Ylbe smacked at the Tenno, only earning more laughter in response.

“Humor me, and let me carry you a bit, like I used to from the car rides.” He smiled, his eyes softening with the distant memory.

…Even with all the memories I viewed, it doesn’t explain how you didn’t see her as a burden to you. How are you so nice and caring? Why are you so easy to manipulate? Ylbe quieted down to think, His rhythmic steps providing a background of white noise before his next question.

“So, I can tell Zipangu’s architecture is similar to Japan’s, but why is there so much iron and ceramic, compared to the wood and lacquer used historically?”

“Claws are sharp and scales are rough. I mean, honestly, what did you expect?”

“Fair point.” As they reached the door, he set her down on her feet, sliding it open for her to go in first. It was quiet, as to be expected of the rarely used quarters, save for the two house maids that remained on site at all times. They were chatting amongst themselves, their belts jingling with the tools of their trade as they shifted their weight.

“Good evening, ladies.” Ylbe called out, eliciting a squeak from one of them, while the other simply chuckled and bowed at the arrival of the witch and her carrier. “No, you know better Amirna, I don’t like being bowed to when we’re private like this.” Ylbe sighed, an exasperated smile on her face.

“Even for my seniority here, you allow me to keep a roof above my head in exchange for some light cleaning. I simply must treat you with the same respect as I would a noble or dignitary.” Amirna was definitely the older of the two kinfolk, her scales having faded from their once lustrous emerald tones, and little, grey whiskers poked through tiny gaps between the hardened outer later. “Komos, you really need to get used to being approached, especially if you wish for a mate in the future…” the elder chided, chuckling.

The significantly younger of the two’s face flushed, nodding. “I apologize Madam Ylbe. I’m still getting used to working here with Grandma here.” Komos’ scales were definitely a spritely green color, just like her grandmother’s were in her youth, but she lacked the numerous ridges one acquired with age. “Is this your brother, perhaps? He’s a uh.. What was the word you used for your species?”

“It’s quite alright Komos, you don’t need to apologize for our sudden arrival.” Ylbe led Frustaz in, his eyes bouncing from each of them as they spoke. “Yes, He is my brother. Did anyone come by with his container?”

Amirna nodded. “Yes, they did, I set it in the room over here. Hopefully the accommodations are suitable to your liking, Master Frustaz.” Amirna nodded over to the man in question, earning his own nod back. “If you’ll come this way. Madame, your typical room is ready, and we will have breakfast prepared in the morning as usual. Is there anything else I can do for you?”

“No, thank you Amirna. Please make sure you rest. I know you’re getting close to the final molt, so let me know if you need me to help with some of the hard to reach scales.” Ylbe smiled, giving the older kinfolk a gentle grasp of the hand. “I’m going to retire, so I’ll see you tomorrow, Komos, Amirna, Jay- Frustaz.” Skipping off, she giggled to herself. Thankfully I’m on the opposite side of the house.

Opening her personal quarters, a slender Kirin sat in the room, looking at the moonlight, the spiral horn long, sharp and curved. “Good Evening Ma’am. I was requested to be here?”

“You were. Now, I hope your quartermaster was paid appropriately for your time.” Ylbe’s violet eyes caught the moonlight, glowing in the dim gloom of her feasting quarters. “You will be silent while I take my sweet time with you.”

“Yes, Madame.”


Being led to the isolated room, the elderly maid opened the door with a bow. “You room, Master Frustaz.”

“Please, don’t call me Master. It’s a little awkward for me.” he replied, before passing through the entryway to a wide room, decorated with what appeared to be twisted metal sculptures, as well as a wide, square frame holding up a ornate house robe. His cryopod rested in one corner of the room, vertical as it was when he woke. “This is fantastic, thank you.. Amirna, yes?”

“That is correct.” She nodded as she moved to close the door, only for him to catch the door with his boot. “Anything else I can do for you, sir?”

“Just a last question before you head out for the night. What is this ‘final molt’ Na- I mean, Ylbe spoke of?” his confusion evident, the senior draconid chuckled.

“The final molt is just a transition to our final stage of life. Our scales fall off entirely, leaving us covered only in a fur akin to a manticore’s or chimera’s. It’s simultaneously a mark of our age and wisdom, having survived as long as we have, as well as a sign for others to help us.” She smiled as she took his hand, putting it on her head, where many hairs had sprouted. “These little whiskers poking through my scales is the sign that it’s coming.”

Frustaz ran his fingers over the soft hairs, his eyes wide in fascination. “That's… Wow. I’ve never heard of that happening before. I apologize if this is personal.”

A wave of a claw and a scoff came from the grandmother. “It’s not anything private, it just means this old egg layer can finally get some of the fledglings to finally help me when I’m out picking up supplies for the dignitaries. Anything else?”

Frustaz shook his head, chuckling. “No, thank you for telling me. I have a decision in the morning, and I really must sleep on it. Good night, ma’am.” He slowly closed the door himself, listening to the clicking steps of the maid withdraw.

Note to self: Dragons grow fur when they get older. Second note to self: Dragon maids do not wear frilly outfits, they wear cargo shorts and tank tops with apron-like fronts. Third: Don’t isolate yourself with Komos, she’s cute as hell. Frustaz shook his head as he began to unfasten the thick armor’s gauntlets, slipping them off and setting them in the Cryo Pod, The overcoat following shortly afterwards. He stretched, extracting once unknown tension from his spine with soft pops.

So she goes by Ylbe now. She looks alot like Proto-Merlin, although if she is close to that character like I am with Frost, It means she’s subject to the rules of the World-System. His thoughts began to wander as he finished putting up his armor, only to press a button to present his armory.

Corinth Prime, check. Attica, still in good condition. Vulkar Wraith, still surprisingly scarlet after these years. I pulled each weapon out, taking a few moments to open them up and wipe them down, noting which weapons needed oiling. I can definitely still use you Vasto. I wonder if I can still upgrade you eventually… I spun the chamber of the revolver, smiling as I glided around its central shaft. Setting the side arm back down, Frustaz pressed another button, presenting a circular shield with spikes jutting out the edge, and a broadsword, with a flat tip. Octanis and Gram Prime. Too bad I lost Sigma. Lifting the sword, the Tenno struggled to lift his blade frowning. “God, I’m gonna have to practice again. I spent too long sleeping.”

After a few hours of maintenance on his weapons, Frustaz finally laid down upon the thick mattress, sighing. “I’m really going to go back to sleep again, aren’t I?” He mused, his mirth contained by pursed lips. I’ll have to answer Emperor Shagaru the Black tomorrow.

What’s the worst that could happen?

Author's Note:

So Ylbe's name is pronounced Yill-Bee, and Frustaz's name is pronounced Fru-stah-z (Fru as in Fruit.)

This is NOT a crossover chapter. This is introducing some of the other characters in the world, including two other displaced, one, who we originally saw way back in chapter 1, and the other who we recently say in Memories Spun into form - 2!

It's also a chance for you all to see the world beyond Equestria, which I hope to do more of.

Leave a comment, let me know what you think!