• Published 23rd Mar 2015
  • 4,613 Views, 236 Comments

Book, Blade, and A Whole Lot of Magic - Frustaz



"Revolution lead to imprisonment, but was it worth it, Celestia?" The Magus calls out, accusing her gaoler. A story of a lost human and her time in Equestria.

  • ...
40
 236
 4,613

Chapter 9

I quietly stirred my slowly simmering stew, looking their direction the entire time. I knew they were there, as they were not exactly quiet. It was honestly kind of funny, hearing the occasional whisper of their plans, a soft smile on my face. They’re unsure of how to approach. Cute.

You are a monster of sorts, at least to them, especially if Celestia spoke to them first. You’re also being relatable right now, so it’s throwing them off. With how they treated Zecora, I wouldn’t be surprised they are trying to figure out the right way to approach.

I nodded, scooping out a bowl from the pot, beginning to eat as I continue to wait for their appearance.

“Hi there! Whatcha eatin’?” A soft sigh escaped me. I was expecting one of the lower-energy ones to approach first, but this will have to do.

“Potato and Manticore stew, with onions and corn.” I took my first bite, before turning to the bright pink party pony. “I’m Illua, nice to meet you. I can hear your friends out in the bushes. They’re welcome to join me around my little cooking fire.” With a wave of my hand, I cast a small spell, summoning up a few rocks to sit around on.

Pinkie gasped and dashed back over to her group, leaving me to quietly eat. Barely a few moments passed before they started to come out of the woods. My eyes looked over each of them, only to lock on the yellow one. Just to remind you, from left to right, Rarity the White, Applejack the Orange, Rainbow the Blue, Twilight the Purple, Pinkie the Pink, and Fluttershy the Yellow. They all quietly took positions on the rocks, except for Rainbow, who remained aloft.



“So, what brings you to my little glade?” Curiously, they all looked to each other, before the alicorn spoke.

“Ahem… You are Illua, correct?”

“Yes. What can I help you with?”

Twilight put her hoof to her muzzle, furrowing her brow. Most of the other ponies seemed genuinely confused, with Pinkie remaining a giggly mess. I just continued to eat my meal while it was warm.

“Uhm.. ah… Are you uh… going to hurt ponies again?” the meek yellow Pegasus spoke, hiding behind her mane. A grin grew on my face as I watched the uncanny clone of Butter Cream.

“I don’t plan to, because I’m hoping you can answer a few of my own questions, after having been trapped for a few centuries.” My eyes flicked to each of them, only to take a sip from the worn water skin. “First question, and we can trade them, How’s Celestia? Is she a distraught mess?”

The ponies stiffened almost in unison. “Yeah, She is, and it’s your fault. My turn, what gives you the right to attack the princess?!” Rainbow flew into my face, her own expression of anger. I put a finger on her nose and gently pushed her backwards.

“I’ll answer that question in a bit, if you will have patience. Any other volunteers?” I looked to the others, only to sigh when no one spoke up. “I just had this discussion with Luna last night...” Muttering under my breath, I pushed my hair back from my face, to allow the elements to see my face entirely. “Fine. Celestia created a system where cruel, uncaring ponies had power, and used the rules of the land at the time to create disparity between them and those they governed at the time. She then allowed for those same ponies to continue this destructive behavior until it reached a point where ponies were dying, either because they had their property or their supplies for survival taken.” I looked into the fire as the memories started coming back to me.

“I watched children die of starvation, hypothermia, and other easily preventable causes. Tell me, am I supposed to allow her to continuing to enable the cruelties that I fought against?” I quickly stood, turning away from the group. “I will be right back. Come up with questions while I go retrieve something.” I stepped into my sanctum, my teeth grinding from the sudden interrogation.


“Rainbow! You didn’t have to do that!” Twilight scolded, running her hoof over her eyes.

“So? It got to the point. We’re here to get her and go right?” Rainbow shot back, taking a perch in the tree that marked Illua’s home.

“That’s not the point, sugar cube.” Applejack called out, her own frustration spilling into her voice. “She was being hospitable, especially since I’m pretty sure we’re on her property.”

Rarity looked between the two, and sighed. “Always the same, isn’t it, dear Fluttershy, Pinkie?”

“Yeah, but I don’t think they’ll change that easily. Applejack isn’t wrong though.” Fluttershy shook her head. “I’m pretty sure Illua is a bit touchy about that subject. She also kept looking at me with a sad look. I’m not sure why…” Fluttershy’s soft tones barely rose above the sounds of the two tomboys arguing.

“I bet she’d like something sweet, like an ice cream cake. Ooh, I feel she’s probably a double chocolate mocha with hazelnut frost- Yeah, those two are always gonna but heads, but it’s probably for the best. They balance each other out like we all do.” Pinkie’s vocalized thoughts were interrupted by Rarity’s question, before Rainbow hopped down.

“She’s a villain, right? We take them down!”

“Dash, You missing a few marbles from your bag? She’s not a villain as we know them!”

“And? She’s still a villain, and she needs to be dealt with.”

The cowpony groaned, thrusting her face into Rainbow’s personal space. “Discord has his own fair share of problems, but he’s not a villain anymore, especially after being given a chance to prove himself. Why can’t we do the same for Illua?”

“I agree with Applejack.” Twilight finally spoke up, having rose to her own hooves. “Honestly, I wasn’t fond of doing that with Discord, but Fluttershy proved us wrong. Illua, despite her much more, uh, ‘violent’ past, she seems much more amicable. Let’s try and be a bit more friendly with her, okay Dash?” Twilight queried, nudging the blue Pegasus.

“Fiiiiiiine. I’ll refrain from asking accusatory questions.” She replied, earning a look of surprise from Rarity. “What? You know how much I read, I learn interesting words too. I can speak fancy.” A few giggles escaped the group, releasing the tension many of them held.


Illua sighed as she stepped down her stairs, collecting the mirror.

You seem agitated about that question.

Wasn't expecting such an accusatory and aggressive introduction, but.. I took a deep breath, holding it for a moment, and released it, along with the embers of my anger. They don't know better, so I can't really hold it against them. Lifting the mirror, I began stepping up the stairs, carefully setting it on each step to protect the glass pane.

So you’re gonna introduce me?

It’s best if they know now. No point in lying to them.

Oh really? I thought you enjoyed hiding your secrets.

They don’t need to know everything right now, but they do need to know of your presence. More than likely, there are wards in different places intended to find and harm things like you. If Twilight is the mage you make her out to be, she’ll have a solution.

Fair point, One you, zero me.

Did you wipe the board?

Three hundred years of separation, and a new start, why not? I saw Nyx shrug as I picked up the mirror, my dark mimic’s appearance ever in the reflections of the world around me. “Besides, it’s going to be nice to have some people to talk to that isn’t always the two of us.” She spoke up from the mirror, testing her vocalization. “Oh, they’re talking outside.”

“… Let’s try and be a bit more friendly with her, okay Dash?” Twilight’s educated voice was close to the outer layer of her little home’s entrance, only for the sounds of giggles to punctuate the now lighter atmosphere. I pushed open the door to the sight, watching as they took their seats once again.

“Well, it's nice to hear we’re feeling a bit more relaxed. Any new questions?” I probed, as I set down the mirror, Nyx no longer visible in it for the time being.

“Why ever did you bring a mirror outside, dear?” Rarity was the first to speak, a slight smirk on her muzzle. “It’s a lovely mirror, although it could have a higher clarity.” The fashionista’s horn glowed with her pale blue aura, the mirror now outlined in that same glow. The minor imperfections were ironed out, resulting in a much more accurate reflection of the world. “Hopefully that helps, darling.”

I raised an eyebrow as I watched her cast her spell, appraising her work. “That’s actually much nicer. Thank you. Anyways, while this is not a special mirror, I need you to understand something about me.” Most of the ponies leaned forward in anticipation, watching for anything. A grin spread on my face. “I have a passenger, and her name is Nyx.”

Nyx floated onto the surface of the mirror, her arms resting around my reflection’s neck almost affectionately. “Hello, once again Elements.” She giggled at the varied reactions. Twilight looked flabbergasted, Fluttershy fainted, Rainbow and Applejack both immediately stood, ready to fight. Only the pink and white ponies had almost no reaction, mostly due to shock. “Lulu, I think we’ve scared them.” I shrugged at the response. “I am a fragment of the entity you know as ‘The Nightmare’, but I am bound to Illua here. Most likely, I am the largest, or even the only remaining portion of it.” Nyx looked over their tense stances, only to release annoyed growl. "Alright, guess they don't want to talk to me. I'm heading back inside." She immediately faded from the mirror with an aggravated snort.

“Now with that answered—” I started, before the shouts came.

“How did it survive the Elements?” Twilight’s question hung in the air.

“Oh dear, I’m not sure how I feel about that.” Rarity’s musings followed suit.

“Why do you have that creature inside you?” Rainbow, once again on the offensive, shouted at me.

“What in tarnation did you do to have that thing bond with you?” Applejack sounded almost afraid.

“Huh. Not what I anticipated. But it means she’s a double friend!” Pinkie’s gleeful declaration earned a look from all those conscious, only to giggle more.

I couldn’t contain my chuckling. “In order, you destroyed the fragment with Luna, not the others that still remained from when Sunny Bitch used the elements before. I wasn’t happy with her at first, but despite her antagonistic ways, she’s my best friend. I made a deal with her. Pinks, interesting thought.” I turned to each of them with my answers.

I looked to the sky, frowning as I heard the creatures of the night beginning to stir in the surrounding forest. “The moon will be rising shortly, so I suggest you all stay here with me tonight. You don't have to, but I'm not too sure how safe it will be heading back.” A flick of my wrist and water doused my flame, whilst I put a lid on the warm pot, setting it inside my sanctum once again, alongside the mirror. “What will you all do?”


I found myself pushing the few pieces of furniture to the edges of the main room, and setting up areas for the girls to sleep around the floor of my humble abode. Many of them asked questions about the various items that I had set on shelves and tables, each one being answered in turn.

“What’s this?”

“Mortar and pestle, used to grind herbs, seeds and the like into powders.”

“What’s that?”

“Grindstone, used for sharpening my sword, and good for shaping gems and the like.”

“Ooh, what is this?” I only sighed, pinching my brow, as I turned to look at Pinkie once more. “That… Is a very special item that I would ask you to put down.” I kept my composure as she picked up my tablet, one of the few technological remnants of my old life. “It is fragile, and can break very, very easily.”

The bright pink pony seemed to catch my drift, and gingerly set it back on the shelf. “Sorry.”

“No need for apology, I just want you all to realize there are many sentimental things in here that are now effectively bits of history from my time as a revolutionary. I’d ask you to refrain from poking around while we continue to chat.” Pushing back the last bit of furniture to the corner, I finally had made the space to start laying out the massive pelt I used for camping.

“Uh.. where.. erm.. did this fur come from?” Fluttershy asked, her hoof idly running over the white fur as I rolled it out.

“A very large and experienced manticore. It was in the mountains, so it's fur is much thicker than one of the forest or jungle breeds. I skinned the pelt without the head, so it’s very comfy as bedding.” I noted, pulling pillows out from the same closet. “Why, is it bad?”

“Oh no, it’s very soft and warm.. I just..” Fluttershy hid behind her hair once again, breaking eye contact with Illua. “I’m just not good with uhm… hunting..”

"Well, unfortunately, most ponies don't support carnivorous needs, so I only hunt when I need the meat. I've never been a big fan of hunting for sport." Sitting on the edge of my bed, I took another swig of water. "I also try to avoid hunting females, mostly to avoid harming the ecosystem more than I really need to."

Rarity, despite the conversation, spread out on the plush pelt, her soft giggles earning her a few looks from the room. “What? You don’t find anything this quality very often, and it’s being used for bedding. Its absolutely luxurious. Don't you judge moi for this little indulgence...” Rarity pouted a bit, before the rest giggled in return.

I simply snickered as I laid back into my own bedding. “Get some sleep girls, I’m going to be waking up early.”

“I’ll be awake most of the night, so if you do have questions for me, I’ll answer. Just call my name. Hopefully one of you will deign to actually interact with me.” Nyx waved from the mirror, flipping through an ethereal book in the reflection. The room’s light began to dim, leaving it barely lit by the moon overhead. “Sweet dreams.”


It wasn’t long till most of the ponies were asleep, as the trek through the woods had taken its toll, combined with the prior teleportation. However, one prismatic Pegasus was not asleep, and had waited for this moment. Rainbow lifted her head, and swept the room, and quietly got to her hooves. Nyx wasn’t to be seen in the mirror.

“Now what could she be hiding…” Rainbow mused, quietly lifting herself into the air to snatch a book from the top shelf. “This could be full of pretty juicy information.” The book was worn around the edges, and definitely old. The pages had yellowed from time, and even the binding had frayed. She opened it somewhere in the middle, and began to read the ancient text.



November, 17th, Year 697 of Celestia’s Reign.

The Siege is affecting morale. I’m trying to push for a much more peaceful resolution, but Duke Hoofchester refuses to budge on his conditions. What don’t you understand that you cannot keep your power over the people? Aggravating, that fucker is.

“What.. this is a diary?” Rainbow muttered, before continuing.

Butter Cream has been focused on training where she can, but many still haven’t seen battle, and I’m afraid I will have to make them soon to resolve this. I shouldn’t have to, but for the good of them all…

I’m grateful for Cadenza helping me. She’s been actively teaching me the strengths of each type of pony that I hadn’t considered, and healing many of my wounds from my own magic practice. I’m surprised she puts up with me and my aspirations for the ponies here. She even likes Nyx as much as myself…

… Is it possible I love her? Maybe, Lulu, but If so, I wouldn’t complain, she’s probably the most genuinely good ponies we know.

“She knows Cadence?”

“Yep.”

Rainbow’s wings locked open, as she muffled her own yelp. “Why did you have to scare me like that?!” Rainbow hissed at Nyx, who’s smirk was a mile wide.

“Why did you have to go snooping, hm?” Rainbow opened her mouth to respond, but only closed it and shook her head. Nyx snickered, but continued. “Yes, we knew Cadenza Mi Amore at one time. She was one of the few ponies who found us attractive, both in physical appearance, and as people. However, I could wake up Illua, but I’ll make you a cute little deal. You say nothing to the others about this until Illua or Cadenza, if she’s still around, decides to bring it up. In exchange, I tell Illua nothing in the morning. Fair?” Nyx held her hand out as if to shake it, pressing it to the mirror.

“Deal.” Rainbow pushed her hoof to the mirror, a faint glowing circle on Nyx’s hand forming when she pulled it back. “What’s that?”

“It’s a promissory mark. I like making it a point to keep my word, even if I’m supposed to be some bogeyman to you all. Now put the journal back, and get to sleep.” Nyx watched the cyan pony put the book back, and hover back down.

“Hey Nyx?”

“Yes, rainbow one?”

“Last question before I go to sleep; Why are you so different from the other’s we have seen possessed?”

Nyx chuckled at the question. “I’ve had a good influence for a long time. Being blasted by the Elements a couple times also helps to reinforce the idea of ‘being nice’. Now, good night.”


The dawn came once again, and the first sound I could hear was the faint clip-clop of hooves. One of them’s an early riser… My pondering was interrupted by the stretching of another, a soft squeak escaping the pony as she reached her peak. “Good Morning, whoever you are.” Illua whispered, earning another squeak. Must be Fluttershy.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to wake you I--” she stammered out before I held up a hand.

“I was already waking up, you don’t need to apologize. Why are you awake so early?” Beginning to stretch myself, I groaned pleasurably at the few pops my joints made.

“I usually go and feed my animal friends at this time, so I was going to start heading back. You don’t mind, do you?...” Fluttershy’s teal eyes looked up at me after her quiet request.

“I don’t mind if you need to leave, but I’d rather you wait until everyone’s awake.” I looked up at the skylight, attempting to stifle old emotions. “I.. uh.. Do you guys have a graveyard in Ponyville?”

“Yes, Ponyville has a graveyard, it’s a little ways out from the main town, near Whitetail woods.” The mumbling came from the messy-maned alicorn, who had ended up curled around one of my spare pillows. “Why would you need to go to the graveyard anyways?”

I looked to Twilight, and raised an eyebrow. “Twilight, I’m a little over three hundred because of the time in stone. I need to visit some old friends.” I watched as the two conscious ponies put their ears down, Fluttershy retreating behind her bangs once more.

“Alright everypony, time ta’ wake up. I got chores to do back on the farm, and I’m sure y’all need to do the same.” The pumpkin colored bumpkin came down the stairs, looking ever ready for the day, as I had expected. The groans of the other sleepers put a smile on my face. “No groaning, and ‘sides, Illua can’t prepare breakfast for everyone if her stock’s low.” She nudged the fashionista and athlete, pushing them to their hooves despite their resistance.

I looked over at the pink pony. “What would be the easiest way to wake her up?”

“Tell her what kind of cake you like.” Rainbow said, snickering.

“Oh Celestia, don’t Illua-” Twilight started, but was too late.

I knelt down, and whispered to her before Twilight could stop me. “I want a mocha cake with a layer of vanilla ice cream in the middle. Hazelnut frosting.” I looked back at Twilight. “Why not?”

Pinkie sprung to her feet with eyes full of wonder. “Oh. My. Stars. I knew it! I’ll get on it right away! What do you want for your party, would you prefer--” I put my hand over her muzzle, sighing.

“I see what you were trying to prevent now.” I turned back to Pinkie. “If you want to throw a party for me, can you wait untill tomarrow? I need to do some errands.” I got a nod and salute in response. “Thank you. You ladies head back to town, I’ll head that way soon.”

"Errands?" Twilight queried, ears perking up. "What kind of errands?" There was an obvious underlying tone of suspicion in her voice.

I sighed as she looked back to the Princess of Friendship. “I have to check my traps for today’s meat, and any ponies caught by accident. Then I need to collect some flowers before I go visit the graveyard. Is that a problem?” Crossing my arms over my chest, I looked at her expectantly. “What did you think I was going to do?”

Twilight smiled sheepishly, her ears folding back once again. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you.”

“No offense taken. Now get going, you all need breakfast and I need some time to myself.”


I’m gonna follow them.

Excuse me?

I’m going to follow them. This way you can have me guide you around later, and I get to watch them from their shadows.

It hadn’t even been moments since the Elements had left, and Nyx was ready to roam. Whose shadow would you even latch onto?

Twilight the Suspicious seems like she’d be fun to shadow. I knew those giggles. She wanted to cause mischief.

Just don’t get yourself blasted, alright? I mentally nudged her, her presence slowly growing faint as the magical pull began.

Of course, I’ll come home if I get in trouble, ‘Mom.’ And then she was gone, off to spy on a pony princess.

“Finally, I can start getting to work…” I pushed up off the edge of my bed, rolled up the makeshift bedding, and started on my own day.


The steady rhythm of the ponies quietly punctuated their chatter, as they wound their way back through the Everfree’s trees, along pathways beaten into the woods by the hermetic Zecora.

“I’m deeply conflicted about Illua right now.” Twilight began, receiving glances from the others.

“You ain’t the only one, Twi. Celestia made her out to be this vicious monster, and we come out and see she’s…. I don’t know, kinda normal?” Applejack replied, scratching the back of her head with one hoof.

“She seems awfully nice actually, even for a predatory species.” Fluttershy noted, ducking under branches as she hovered along the group.

“She’s a predator? I thought she just seemed like a wonderful lady with a definitely interesting style. I might have to see if she’ll show me more.” Rarity’s thoughts drifted to the possibilities, almost ignorant of the conversation, before bringing herself back. “Ahem, either way, what makes you think she's a predator?”

“Well, I don’t know exactly what she is, but considering she’s a meat eater, and her eyes are forward facing, she’s definitely a predator, if I compare her to some of the animals at my cottage. She also has canine teeth, and talked about hunting while with us. Combined with having no discernable patterns or defensive features on her almost implies she may have been an apex predator in her ecosystem..” Fluttershy’s soft explanation received her new looks now.

Nyx watched as Rainbow went to reply, only to rethink her words a few times, quietly observing the struggle. “I think Illua probably has things to hide that she doesn’t want to talk about, at least until she can trust us more. I know I’m not exactly a good pony to trust, especially with how I acted towards her.” The prismatic pony rubbed her eyes. “My point is that I think we should find out her side of the story more.”

“Exactly, especially with the limited details about the Civil Revolution, it’s hard to dismiss her personal experiences, since she was a central figure to it. But then again, she seems friendly, if a bit soft spoken. But then you have Nyx…” Twilight’s thoughts trailed off as they reached the edge of the forest.

“Yup, the friend in a friend! I wonder if she likes the same foods as Illua.” Pinkie Pie positively bounced on the path, almost constantly humming. “It might be hard to understand how a Nightmare can be good, but even rain brings good things.”

“Yeah.” Twilight smiled, spreading her wings as they broke the treeline. “I’m gonna go send a letter to the Princess, and inform her on Illua’s status. I’ll see you later girls!” Twilight waved as she took to the air towards her crystal castle. Nyx was just a passenger at this rate, but she looked over Ponyville from Twilight’s vantage point, and would have been grinning were she corporeal.

It’s definitely grown quite a bit since last time, and that god awful mansion is gone. It’s also far more colorful. Lulu’s going to enjoy seeing how it’s changed.


I really shouldn’t have tagged onto Twilight.

Oh really? You say that now? What brought you to this conclusion?

It had been hours since Nyx had left, and the sun had reached its peak in the blue sky, cloudless sky. I had reset my traps with fresh bait, and turned my attention to my grove. All she’s been doing is research! All trying to find more information about the two of us and our presence back when we were fighting, including anything about ‘what’ you are. I smiled a bit, as I had begun channeling one of my favorite spells, Earth Heal. The field faintly glowed in the noonday sun, but I watched as flowers bloomed once again on this once-forgotten field. Illua, are you even paying attention?

I groaned internally, letting her know my dissatisfaction with her complaints. What do you want me to do about it, hm? I’m just a bit busy with my own little project. Besides, I’m pretty sure Twilight is one of those ponies who get tunnel vision on a subject and won’t let go. I knelt down and cradled together a trio of orchids, gently uprooting them and tying together with a ribbon.

You have no idea. She has a shield wall made of books, and she’s reading each one simultaneously like some learning monster. Her mental shiver pulled a soft laugh from me as I moved to the outcropping of tiger lilies across the field.

It’s likely she has photographic memory, and an incredibly advanced ability to read, learn, and retain knowledge. Are you scared of her? A few gentle tugs, and the delicate orange flowers came up, ready to be delivered to new ground.

Realistically, if you saw a single person being able to flip through nearly thirty books at once like some Avatar of a Library, wouldn’t you be scared?

If they were spell books? Yes. Storybooks? Not so much. Looking across my field, I spied the dainty silver irises I had planted centuries ago, and carefully collected a few of them for yet another tribute. Let me know if something happens, okay?

Fiiiine, I’ll be gooooooood. The whine I heard as she continued to focus on Twilight got me giggling again. Heading inside once more, I withdrew from my inventory a small bundle of waxy blooms, primarily yellow with bright pink edges. A plumeria, from the southern coasts of Equestria, just before the ocean that separates the pony and zebra nations. I carefully wrap them in yet another ribbon, only to gather the four fragrant bouquets in my arms.

I couldn’t hold back the tears forming at the edge of my vision. Despite the wound being hundreds of years old, it still hurt. I wonder what kind of things they would have accomplished, had they been able to thrive. I slung a little pouch onto my belt, a pair of tools clinking inside. Wiping the slowly forming tears, I pushed myself to leave my humble abode, memories of a time long past filling my mind.


As I followed the path the girls had taken, my eyes caught the worn path between the grass and roots. So there’s regular travel through here now. Gazing upon the path, I smiled through tears that still came up unbidden.

Illua, look what I found in the forest! It looks like a mushroom of some kind.
Illua, is living in the Everfree dangerous? It seems like it would be compared to mommy’s farm..
Teacher, Dad wants to know if you can braid the handles again, one of his clients really liked that.

I swallowed the lump developing in my throat, as I saw classical wrought iron stakes peek through the thinning tree-line, whilst the voices of the past lingered in my head. Shaking my head, I ventured onwards, as the echoes of the past replaced the hallowed silence.

Hey, Teacher! What are you? You don’t look like the minotaurs who come deliver iron for Jack’s dad..
I like her mane, it holds the flowers really nicely.
What color do you like, Illua?

I pushed open the gate, trying to ignore my ghosts, their high pitched squeals of delight and curious questions dancing in my skull. I knew the hill this graveyard was on, despite the changes. Amongst the stone monoliths marking the passing of loved ones, I strode with my bundle of flowers, now glistening with the tears that escaped me.

Was I a good potato, Teacher? I set the orchids down on the first of my destinations, a faded stone marking its stone, with only a name and nary a symbol. I wiped the moss off Potato’s marker, smiling despite my tears. “You were a good potato.” I pulled the little hammer and chisel from my hip pouch, and slowly etched in fresh text on the stone. “I bet you’d have a few plots around here, growing potatoes and tubers for the village, probably with a painting above your hutch of me. You’d have liked to hear me talk, with how hard you tried learning my signs.” I scooped out a small handful of dirt, and placed the roots of the orchid into the ground, before replacing the dirt.

Sniffling, I shifted to the next plot over, continuing my little ritual, planting the tiger lilies. Teacher, do you think there are any more oranges out in the orchard? Orange Blossom’s last words to me broke the damn in my eyes, blinding me temporarily as I wiped tears between strikes of the chisel. Her grave was mostly unmarked as well, having never earned her cutie mark with her friends. “No dear, the season’s past, and it’s time to keep warm, but you’d still go out and pick those last few oranges. You and that Applejack might be distant relatives. You have the same coat color.”

Once again, repeating my motions, I knelt down and planted the silver irises upon the third of the markless graves. Teacher, can I try that meat of yours? It smells good… my lips turned up as I opened my inventory, pulling a bit of my manticore jerky out and burying it alongside the Irises. “O-of course you can… Or you would have been able to if not for the ponies of the time..” I quivered, pushing myself up to go further into the back of the graveyard. I knew the path, having walked it for weeks at a time.

Lulu, you can’t torment yourself like this.

I shook my head, pushing the voice back for just a bit longer. I need to finish this, I don’t want to forget. My heart pounded in my ears as I fought the sobs gathering in my chest.

Alright then, Lulu. Just don't let Cadenza catch you bawling your eyes out. You know she'd join you.

Her grave was more elaborate than the typical ponies, fenced off and topped with a preserved spear and helmet in a glass covering. The glass was nicked from the abuse of time, and I smiled, as it seemed someone took care of this grave. I planted the last of my tributes to the lost at the foot of the plot. “H-Hey.. B-Butter Cream… I br-brought them back like I promised…”

Thank you Lulu, they’re wonderful. Maybe if we can get the weather a bit warmer here, they might spread around for everyone to see.

I finally let the sobs out, slowly curling in on myself as I laid down next to the grave of my best friend, breaking the persona I had kept up for so long. “I fucking hate you, Celestia. You took not only the lives of the first ponies to accept me, but you took the years I could have spent with Butter Cream and Cadenza from me.” I curled up in the soft grass, as I finally let the grief of centuries flow from me until consciousness left me to my devices.

That's okay Lulu, I'll be here, waiting for you to get back.


Sadness, grief… Catharsis.. Hate. She’s getting it out of her system.. I’ll leave her be for now. Nyx retreated from the connection, her own emotions stirred up in curiosity. Twilight had written to Celestia, and had not received her response yet.

“Hey, Twilight, why are you in such a rush today?” the purple dragon sipped on a box with a straw coming from it, with some sweet smelling fluid inside it. He was tiny considering the average dragon’s size, but that was to be expected of one who’d barely been around a decade.

“Well, considering I spoke with The Bloody Grimoire herself, I thought I’d do the research of her campaign across Equestria, and see what more I could Iearn of her, and see if there’s any connection between her and some of the bloodlines around here.” Twilight flipped through another set of books, frowning. “Honestly, I wish I had gathered more knowledge on the wars of the past..” Her down-turned ears reversed when a puff of gold smoke deposited a roll of parchment and a pair of thick books before her. “Oh, she sent a book with the letter.. Ahem..”

Nyx rolled her eyes, as the lavender librarian began to read aloud for the dracling’s benefit.

Dearest Twilight, I am glad you have found Illua, and she has deigned not to harm you all. However, I am pleasantly surprised that she has even agreed to meet with you and your fellow Elements, as she may have considered you as my emissaries.

I do not know the full extent of her knowledge of Equestria or the lands beyond, but considering there are few books detailing either side of her revolution, let alone in a fair light, I have included two books that would assist in your research of her. The one bound in blue is listed to have been written by a scholar who acted as an advisor and leader in her armies, and is apparently a first-hoof account of the war on her side. The one bound in red was written by the Royal scribe at the time, near the end of his tenure and his own life.

While I am concerned with certain factual differences between both accounts, outside sources have corroborated these two books as the most complete image we have of that time in history.

Please use these at your discretion and leisure for your research, and return them when you can, preferably after you have transcribed a copy for yourself.

From, Princess Celestia. Spike, this is absolutely exciting!

“So we have two entirely different viewpoints on the same events? Why would anyone do that for a history book? It seems almost, I don’t know, against the norm for these kinds of books?” Spike let his thoughts be known as he continued to flip through a comic.

“This is important Spike, because of how history is typically written. While many of them hold prophecies and tell of grand battles, it’s often times only from the view of the results afterwards.” Twilight danced in place as she bade the other books back to their shelves, flipping open the scribe’s book first. “Besides, this also gives us a chance to learn of how Illua thinks and acts, both from a friendly and antagonistic view!” Twilight let out a short squeal of delight, her wings fluttering with her excitement.

“Okay Twilight, I’ll leave you to it. I’m gonna head to Rarity’s for a little while, help her with whatever she needs.” Spike put his comic back on a low shelf, filled with similar thin books, and walked out of the room, the pitter patter of his feet fading into the castle.

So, old Bristled Quill actually wrote about us, like he said he would. I wonder what he put out about us. However, Duke Legaius also wrote an opposing book.. I wonder how this little filly will deal with the conflicting-- Hm?

The rapid pounding of feet was only punctuated by the young drake screaming. “Twilight! Trouble!”

Twilight sighed, rubbing her hooves on her face. “Alright, just another fine day in Ponyville, what’s the worst that it can be…” The violaceous equine muttered, before responding proper, “What’s going on Spike? I thought you were going to Rarity’s?”

“I was, but then this big drake-like thing came running into town, and it’s destroying whatever it can get its claws on!” Spike’s arms spread out to try and explain, but Twilight closed her book quietly, and disappeared in a flash of magic.

When she reappeared outside in the town square, the massive creature in question was nearly double Big Mac’s size, resembling a mixture of a dragon, wolf, and boar. “What is that thing?” she spoke aloud to her misfortune.

The creature's gaze whipped to her, it’s eyes dark, with little glowing orange dots to mark pupils. Little black motes floated about its claws and dripping maw. The fur and scale on this creature rose, giving it the appearance of being covered in jagged spikes, as muscle rippled and tensed under a thin hide. Twilight froze, watching as this monstrosity approached her, snarling.

“Twilight, fucking move!” Nyx yelled from one of the castle’s reflective surfaces, breaking the trance the princess found herself in to teleport, a claw cutting through the air where she once was.

“Nyx, What are you doing here, I thought you were with Illua?” Now aloft, the alicorn looked to her castle, seeing the starry enigma in the crystal. “Aren’t you soul bound to her?”

“I am but this isn’t the time for your damned inquisition, you need to fight and distract it. Lead it to the graveyard, I’ll get Illua. Don’t let that thing hit you, dragon-kin claws and teeth are typically disease ridden.” Nyx flickered out of sight in the reflection, leaving Twilight alone with the mad creature.

It snarled once again, spitting a gout of flame up at the flying princess, who dodged with an instinctual teleport. “This way big guy!” She fired a beam of her magenta magic, striking it across the nose. It whimpered for a moment, only to jump to a nearby rooftop, using it to lunge at her from a higher vantage point. Another flash of light, and another beam of magic, and she had begun to lure it from the village proper. “I hope Nyx will get her soon…”


Illua, get your unhappy ass up, we got trouble.

Wha- what’s going on Nyx? I blinked, my eyes puffy and my throat sore from my crying, pushing myself up from the tear laden grass, and brushing the stray blades from my clothing.

Oh, it’s nothing but a Dragonkin in town, and that Two-toned student of Celestia’s is leading it here! I wiped my eyes, pounding the grass behind me as I ran to the entrance of the resting place, as I watched the flashes of light and magic strike the hulking beast.

Nyx, cast Protect, prepare to double cast Esuna and Cure, wide area targeting. My eyes glowed with Nyx’s presence while the hexagons surrounded me, the feeling of mana being drawn from me. “[HUD activate.]” I croaked out the command, bringing forth the health bars I had kept hidden, marking the hostile creature in bright red text.

It was labeled as a Sildanian. Twilight had done a good number on it, bringing it down to 75%, but it wasn’t enough. She’s definitely not an attacker. As I got closer, I threw a lightning bolt at the creature. It staggered from the crackling spell, turning it's gaze my direction. “That’s it, over here!” I called out, my blade shimmering in the light as I raised it to my cheek.

It lunged for me, its chipped claws out stretched for my tender flesh. I brought my blade up, pushing myself away in a spinning motion, only to draw my steel back and step in once more. My sword drew a near perfect crescent upwards, separating the creature's head from its stout neck with a violent spray of blood. The body tumbled away into the woods, leaving a streak of crimson fluid across the wooded path.

I flicked my blade clean, but I was stained by my action, a clear stripe of blood cut across my form. The gasp I heard from above made me sigh once more. That's right, this is supposed to be an era of peace…

"Illua, are you alright?" Twilight landed beside me, her head horn alight with magic. I chuckled as she tried to find any mark upon me, before I set a hand on her withers, as my fingers began the familiar symbols as before.

Fine - need - clean. Blood - Dragon - beast.

Her eyes lit up with renewed curiosity. "You know Claw-sign as well? Why aren't you talking?"

Claw Sign - easier - now. Voice - hurt. Graveyard - Cry. Clean - Spell? I hastily signed, pointing over at the Sildanian. Body - materials - collect - fast. Fluttershy - see - no. Twilight’s look of realization was a relief.

"Yes, I have a cleaning spell, and I understand completely. I'll let you uhm… take care of the… body." Twilight's words were broken as she scrunched up her nose, as the acrid smell of sulfurous blood reached her.

Thank you. Castle - Visit - After - Body - Me. I finished signing to Twilight as I began walking towards the decapitated trophy. It’s head was triangular mostly, with two curled tusks jutting from the lower jaw. It’s eyes however, stood out. The sclera was black, and oozing oily tears, with what appeared to be tiny veins invading on the slit pupil.

My curiosity piqued, I moved over to the body, using one of the tusk’s as a handle to carry the evidence with me. Similar veins appeared on scars from previous battles on the body, but those strange markings flaked off and disintegrated as the body began to cool.

What in the world is that?
Probably some draconic spell or ability that’s wearing off since the bearer is dead. It really shouldn’t be anything to worry about. Let’s just get this thing chopped up and tucked in the inventory, so we can use it later.


The deep rumbling escaped the enormous dragon as he gazed upon his scrying pool. Eyes scanned the dim room, as blue arcane flames highlighted the podium before him, a singular bipedal dragon kneeling before him.

“It failed. Why do you suppose that is, Byrviss?” the timbre of his voice rolled like distant thunder in his lair, peering down on the suitably tiny minion.

“I apologize, your imperial majesty, I did not anticipate that creature with the sword, nor the Incarnation of Friendship living in that rural village.” Byrviss groveled, keeping his own head facing down at the pool.

“This can work to our favor. An attempt on the fledgling’s life and his protector would definitely induce… a delightful tension.” A pleasant chuckle rippled the flames, as the onyx elder stirred the pool once more, watching the human carve up one of their own. “This thing will be a problem if we cannot convince it to our side. Have Ylbe continue to scry upon it.”

Byrviss looked up at his lord, his grimace shifting to show surprise. “Yes my lord. And of the metal chrysalis?”

“Bring it here. I will awaken Frustaz myself.”

“Yes Emperor Zarkesh, Master of Zipangu.”

“Your repeated use of my titles is not endearing. You can make just as fine a thrall as that beast was or what Frustaz will be. Leave me, Herald.”

“Yes sir. Your orders shall be echoed as they were said.” Byrviss, bowing once more, scurried from the imperial lair, leaving his master to deliver his instructions.

Author's Note:

So, Chapter 9 is finally here, and it was a hard write for me.

Also, while Nyx's words were originally in Red, Purple fits her much nicer, and is a little less harsh on the eyes comparatively.

Leave a comment below, let me know how your enjoying it and any questions you may have?

Also, the next chapters should be out sooner rather than later....