• Published 24th Mar 2015
  • 3,994 Views, 184 Comments

The Chaotic Touch of Harmony: The Stars - law abiding pony



A damaged world recovers from war. But the victory was only half earned.

  • ...
17
 184
 3,994

2: Dinner With your Demi-Goddesses

The Fluffed Toque was about as exclusive a restaurant as possible in Trinity. The business sat on the rooftop of an eighty nine story building with a gorgeous panoramic view over the glowing city. Polite chatter and gently clanking cutlery was moderately drowned out by Fusion music with roots from old blues and electronica that had taken the upper and middle class by storm. The future could truly be a bewildering place.

Aquaria stepped out of the elevator dressed in her best clothes, which sadly consisted of a red t-shirt that clashed horribly with her rich blue fur and some fake pearl clip on earrings. The only thing that looked of true wealth on her was a titanium necklace with a sapphire pendent barely an inch and a half wide.

Despite her bedraggled attire, she managed to have a decently styled mane and finely brushed coat. Alright girl. Just keep it together. You made it this far. You’ve suffered far more embarrassing things than this.

Aquaria let the other occupants of the elevator speak with the earth stallion host, giving her time to smoothen her shirt, no matter how tacky it looked. When she thought no one was looking, she breathed into her hoof and sniffed, only to be displeased with the result. What am I worried about? I just need to drop my name and Demi-Goddess Aurora Sky’s. He won’t say no to that!

Quickly drawing up a practiced dignified poise, she marched up behind the last herd who were being led to their seats. The tuxedoed stallion behind the maître d' podium had a hoof on the built in touchscreen as he updated the restaurant’s seating arrangement. He looked up when Aquaria gently cleared her throat. Between her hideous shirt and lack of product in her hair or fur, his instant reflex was to assume she was either lost or someone poor looking for work. The necklace gave him the idea it was stolen, but he couldn’t exactly call her out on it without proof.

The last thing that seemed out of place on her was a four year old model of a facial uplink computer. The maître d' remembered the headset being popular among the rich at the time. Similar to Alexia’s model, it was contoured to Aquaria’s face and melded into her fur color. The most telling aspect of its extremely high quality was the section that wrapped around the groove of Aquaria’s horn, eliminating the need for the eyepieces that had dominated such headwear since it was first introduce some ninety years ago. One of the more pertinent features coming to his mind being it couldn’t mold the users mana. If she happened to get rowdy, security could answer quickly enough to avoid a scene.

In the end, the host didn’t exactly know what to make of her, so he opted for emotionless professionalism. “Can I help you, Miss?”

“Yes, my name is Aquaria. I am here as a dinner guest of Princess Aurora Sky. I should be on the list.” Aquaria mentally commended her birth-mother’s lessons on dignified speech.

Those lessons seemed to be paying off because the host gave her a curious look rather than one of dismissal. “Aquaria, is it?... Hmm, yes. You’re in luck. The Demi-goddess arrived barely two minutes before you.”

I know, I purposely waited for her cause you’d never believe me if I came first.

“She is waiting at the presidential balcony.” The host tapped his touch screen and made a swiping gesture from the screen towards Aquaria. The act posted Aurora’s location on her HUD. “Have a good meal, Miss.”

“Thank you very much.” Aquaria curtsied as her mother taught her, and made her way towards Aurora’s table.

Aquaria made it a point to look straight ahead with her shoulders square to avoid eye contact with the throng of Trinity’s elite. At best, they wouldn’t even notice her, at worst, they would take pictures of her meeting with Aurora. Probably cause a scandal no doubt. I can just see the headlines now. It doesn’t matter. Aurora said she could help me fulfill this ache of longing.

Thanks to the digital overlay across her vision, Aquaria found the princess in short order. Unlike her mother and sister, Aurora Sky had long since transformed herself into a cross between human and pony. With the exception of her human torso, hands, and shorter than normal muzzle, Aurora looked like a pony who was more comfortable walking on her hind legs than on all fours. The alabaster half-pony had fur covering her entire body, but she still opted to wear a flowing purple manaweave top that elegantly wrapped around her womanly torso and had two billowing coattails that went down to her hooves. Despite dressing in that manner for all of Aquaria’s life she had heard there were still some people who would prefer the anthro princess to wear some form of pants or skirt. Aurora was far happier leaving her lower half to bare fur however, save for some comfortable shoes. The critics could complain all they wanted, but nothing was going to move Aurora from dressing as she wished, save cold weather.

Aurora had seen her first however and waved Aquaria over without any of the dignity her station demanded of her. Aquaria found the self styled scientist’s behavior to be refreshing, even more so since she decided to dress more formal. It was all a little strange coming from a being over a century old. Makes me wonder if she does that on purpose.

Trying and failing to emulate Aurora’s eccentric mirth, Aquaria quickly slid by two human waiters before coming up to the table and giving a slight bow. She already told me how much she despises genuflecting. Aquaria put on a genuine smile to hide her growling belly. “Princess Aurora, thank you for your time.”

“Please, sit,” Aurora Sky gestured to an open spot at the small round table. The restaurant’s simple AI locked on and teleported a comfortable pony style seat to the open space. She’s totally dad, I know it! But play it cool, can’t tip the hand just yet. She came to you to pitch her rare magic style for experimentation. Her ‘condition’ is just the secondary issue. No need to let her think there’s more to this meeting. Aquaria sat gracefully in the offered seat, but noted the two chairs were not on opposite sides of the table, as if Aurora was saving space for one more guest. “I can’t tell you how glad I am that you’ve taken an interest in my water magic.”

“Oh it’s really no problem, Miss Aquaria, my company’s water magic department could use some new blood.”

So far so good. She seems to really want my help. Maybe not even a demi-goddess can get access to natural water magi. “I’m glad I’ll have some way of repaying you for the meal and the assistance with that… problem of mine.”

“That strange emptiness you’ve felt since you were a child,” Aurora stated as fact, to which Aquaria nodded hopefully. “That is concerning I won’t lie. Though nothing major I’m sure, just something we’ll have to look into.”

No matter how much her upbringing commanded her to focus on the alicorn, Aquaria couldn’t stop her hungry eyes from glancing at the menu. The table was actually mana-formed crystal from the year 2078 that allowed holograms to be used right inside of the furniture. Deciding she didn’t truly care what she got as long as it was food, Aquaria brought her eyes back to focus on Aurora while tapping a random selection. Glad I’m not a vegetarian Earther.

“I’m sure there are other…” Aquaria staunchly refused to use the phrase ‘mental condition’. “Issues worse than mine. I only mentioned it last time because you said you had a close friend who suffered from it.”

“Nova, yes.” Aurora quickly scanned the menu for her favorite appetizer. The ritzy restaurant may have specialized in dishes from the long dead nations of France and Italy, but the hybrid still loved her onion rings dearly. Eh, I’ll just special order them “However, I don’t know if I can really help you with the issue,” Aurora was kind enough to use Aquaria’s term for it, “but I think my mother could.”

“You called?” a playful voice called out from above. Aquaria nearly fell out of her chair the moment Alexia Tune came in for a landing. Nary a second later the building computer teleported a chair over. Aquaria was completely stunned at Alexia’s arrival, but she felt she was able to conceal it as mild surprise.

“D-demi-goddess Alexia, it-it is an honor!” Approaching Aurora in such ragged clothing was bad enough, but to have two of her demi-goddesses present within a high society restaurant pushed Aquaria’s spirits to her limit.

“The honor is mine, actually.” Alexia’s comment put a bewildered halt on Aquaria’s downward spiral. The silver alicorn affixed the pensive unicorn with a gentle smile. “After all, when one of my daughters takes notice of someone, I do the same.”

“I’m just a duelist with some water magic secrets from my family line.” She coughed out of a brief renewal of embarrassment. My very brief family line at least.

“Really?” Alexia replied with interest. “You mean you’re a member of the IDA?” Aquaria nodded with measured enthusiasm. Alexia glanced at Aurora Sky who looked back at her with a playful grin. “It seems my daughter forgot to mention that,” Alexia lied smoothly to hide the fact she had researched Aquaria.

“I felt it would be more impactful if you heard it straight from her.”

“I must say I’m impressed, Aquaria. There are many who call sanctioned duelists modern chevaliers.” Alexia browsed the menu while glanced back and forth between it and Aquaria. “Not many can abide the Code D'honneur.”

Aquaria swelled with pride at her demi-goddess acknowledging her strong morality. “I thank you, Princess. I find the discipline it demands to be most spiritually rewarding.” A human might have taken the opportunity to ask why none of the alicorns chose to live the Code D'honneur, but Aquaria wouldn’t dream of it. The Congregation of Life always preached that they lived by their own higher code.

Aurora however, had already discussed that topic earlier, and decided to shift the conversation. “You don’t see many water magi in the Intercontinental Duelist Association. Few people can grasp it without computer assistance.”

Aquaria was starting to forget the shame of wearing rags in front of her deities. “You’re too kind, my Demi-goddess. My great grandfather, Kaspar Anders acquired a book on water magic the day he became a pony, and it was passed down to my herd-mother who in turn passed it down to me.”

Alexia hummed at that. For herd-borne ponies there were two types of mothers: herd-mother and birth-mother. “You must be very fond of your parent-herd. I’ve seen far too many mares only care about the children they give birth to.”

“I am, very much so. She’s also the one who taught me to be a duelist. My birth-mother wanted me to be a socialite to climb the ladder, but it was unbelievably dull.” She would say more slanderous statements, but her birth-mother’s teachings still firmly held her tongue.

“So where are they now?” Alexia paused as Aurora and Aquaria’s first course arrived. She waved off any offer from the others to wait for her before digging in, which gave her the excuse to keep talking. “Your family that is.”

“They’re in Cologne back in the Fatherland. I was sent abroad to join the duelist circles here in the Americas, though there have been problems with that. I was going to get a job at… that establishment when I saw you, Princess Aurora Sky,” Aquaria stated as she briefly shifted focus.

“And I offered you a job after hearing about your water magic,” the hybrid alicorn finished for her.

While Aquaria’s youth may have caused her to miss it, Alexia easily saw through her daughter’s scheme. She’s got a company black card for any expenses. Getting a water mage should be a non-issue. Then again, it’s believable enough. “Well I’m sure you’ll perform admirably.”

As the conversation moved further into job details and Aquaria’s dueling history, which she was very comfortable with, Alexia continued making discreet inquiries about the mare’s parent-herd.

Alexia had, of course, already deeply investigated Aquaria’s background in the past few hours since arriving back from New York. Most of what Aquaria had been saying concurred with the computer records. The herd, her great grandfather, the duelist registration was accurate, along with her moderate academic scores. Such is the life of a dueling socialite.

However, what Aquaria was saying through her clothes, rather than her words, was the recent accruement of massive family debts. Alexia’s search programs found they had started with medical bills from the grandparents, which eventually led to loan sharks getting involved.

However, all of that took a backseat as far as Alexia was concerned. While Aquaria was focused on Aurora during the conversation, Alexia weaved a quick soul-sight spell, and saw exactly what she had been hoping for: a brown thread connecting Alexia and Aquaria. The thread had long flitters of blue intermingled with the brown, just like how Nova’s green thread was shifting towards pink, reflecting the new person they had become.


We’ve been talking for about ten minutes now, Alexia thought as she kept stealing veiled glances at Aquaria. Let’s see if we’ve gained some results. She polished off some of her steak before speaking. “Aquaria, you mentioned you had some ‘other’ problem earlier.”

Alexia had timed her question just right as the young mare had been deliberately caught right after she had taken a bite. The pause gave her just enough time to realize that same emptiness which had haunted her since childhood seemed much weaker than before. “I did, yes.”

“I hope you don’t mind but I’ve been using the same technique I did with Miss Nova since first hearing about it. Have you noticed any improvements at all?”

“I ahh – I have, actually.” Aquaria was stupefied to find that ache in the back of her mind was no longer throbbing. It was only then that she seemed to truly look at Alexia. Like she saw her as something more than her Demi-Goddess, a figure, but something... she just couldn’t find the words. Maybe there were none.

Not that Alexia was going to let that slide though. “Tell me how you feel, no matter how personal. It might be the same way Nova was feeling.”

Though it was worded like a request, Aquaria wouldn’t have dreamed to deny Alexia her answer, personal embarrassment be damned. “As you wish, my Demi-goddess. It feels far too presumptive to say this, but it feels like I know you, personally. Far more than just what the church teaches, like I…”

“We’re making no judgements here, Aquaria,” Aurora stated placatingly. “You know we love all of our little ponies.”

It took her a few moments to wrestle with her pride, but the love of her patron deities was more than enough to win in the end. “You are far too kind.” Aquaria swallowed the lump in her throat. “I feel like I should be your protector. Though I don’t know of anything that could bring true harm upon you.”

Aurora shot her mother a text.

See? Who else but father would be so dead set on protecting someone who can’t die?

Anyone who wants an easy meal ticket.

Alexia responded. Still, I think her heart stands by her words. “Well then. I see no other reasonable recourse. Duelist Aquaria, I would like to extend my hospitality for you to stay at my manor.” She said officiously.

Aquaria’s fork clattered onto her plate with her jaw joining it a moment later. “Y-you – what!?”

Alexia’s tone remained calm and collected, but she allowed a thread of seriousness through. “Because you proudly wear the integrity of a duelist, I will tell you all I know of this problem of yours. However, I would prefer to speak of it in a more private setting. Is that fair to you?”

Aquaria grew cold at the idea her mental condition required secrecy, but she had too much faith to deny Alexia. “I will exercise discretion to the best that I am able.”

“Excellent, thank you for your trust, Aquaria.”

“Begging your pardon, Princess Alexia, but one does not simply say no to a demi-goddess as virtuous as you.”

“Oh I don’t know about that. I have my share of vices,” Alexia deadpanned, Aquaria was about to laugh at the assumed joke when Aurora butted in.

“Like Endless Sim Lover V? You play that thing every time you think no one’s in the house.”

“Well you can’t blame a mare for wanting some male company while she waits for a special someone,” Alexia countered as if she was talking about the weather. “Though I have to say,” she added with a fierce smirk at her daughter. “You’re not exactly perfect at hiding your activity on ESL either.”

“Ha! I just leave those bookmarks lying around so you can find the good stuff,” Aurora snarked back. “If you actually liked using a half human form, you’d open up so many different positions.”

Aquaria couldn’t quite believe the surreal conversation she seemed to be having with her Holy Idols. They… They’re talking about porn right in front of me?! This has got to be fake. That’s it! They’re only saying these things to make me feel better about how I also, nope! She blazed beet red with embarrassment.

She glanced about, but none of the passing staff or patrons within ear shot seemed to care in the slightest about how the demi-goddesses were discussing the pros and cons of pony vs anthro pleasure centers. This must be what Friar Lederhosen said about the demi-goddesses being of the flesh. Morbid curiosity got the best of her though. I wonder if their alicorn magic gives them limitless endurance.

The trio finished their main entry before Alexia returned her attention to Aquaria. “I think we got a little side tracked. Where were we?”

“Umm…” Aquaria’s brain had a brief disconnect. “...Oh! I think you were talking about how to assist me with my issue.” Aquaria breathed a sigh of relief at that section of the conversation being over. Porn was not a topic she was willing to discuss in public.

Alexia nodded in appreciation. “Ah thank you. To that end, I feel the best way to assist you is to be close by. If that is undesirable to you, I can always arrange lodgings for you elsewhere within the city.”

“Sounds like a reasonable offer to me,” Aurora added warmly. “The house is pretty close to my lab, so it would cut down on commute time.”

“A-a –aum – Yes! I don’t wish to be a burden,” Aquaria stammered out as she tried to smooth out the erratic hairs popping up from her mane and keep her sweating under control.

“Nonsense,” Alexia rebuked calmly, “ever since my grandchildren started families of their own, no one has time for dear old mum. Well, except this one and Vi.” She said gesturing to her daughter. “Apparently the charm of living with an alicorn wears thin after a decade or two,” Alexia added with a snarky chuckle. “Still, it's nice for them all to visit on the holidays.”

Aurora laughed politely, but knew all too well how lonely the house felt with only four people and a single maid.

What just happened!? I come here with water magic, I sit through my demi-goddesses just casually talking in detail about anthro porn like a couple of shameless old nags, and all of a sudden I’m invited to live into The Holy Manor? With said porn!?

The face of Aquaria’s blood-mother thundered into her mind while giving her a stink eye so powerful it could melt noses. Aquaria, you demean yourself! Sit up straight, withers back, and speak with the dignity and poise demanded by your station.

Unconsciously obeying, Aquaria took a deep breath and seemed to exhale all of her nervousness and wild excitement. “I would be most grateful to you, Demi-Goddess Alexia. I will endeavor to be of any assistance you require.”

“Glad to hear it.” A round of ice cream desserts arrived. “Now, I know you’re quite young to have had a very long one, but I’d be very interested in hearing about your duelist career.”


Out in the depths of space, far beyond Earth, the fabric of space warped in on itself. It roiled and churned until a spiky car sized probe fell out of a portal.

A blazing blue star hung just barely two astronomical units away with a number of planets within the probe’s sensor range. The artificial intelligence, 5206 Silent Witness, adjusted its cameras and antenna to gain its bearings.

Mission clock begin. Time to portal beacon activation: 72 hours.

Subspace scanner operational... Passive search initiated. Primary objective: locate source of automatic transmission.

Subspace around the star system was nearly devoid of anything outside of general background noise, aside from the single artificial broadcasting point. While 5206’s cameras and other passive sensors scanned the area for any indication of a starship, it focused its attention on locating the source of the transmission that had guided the terrans here. It helped that the signal corroborated with the original estimates of the Mion Meteor’s origins.

Signal decay at minimal levels… Preliminary theory suggests low power level or damaged transmitter. Potentially damaged computing system.

Signal code unencrypted. Language matches sample text from original transceiver. Translating… Incomplete sections unreadable.

Alert: Shipyard GTf-1042 under attack by (~) Requesting immediate reinforcements from (~). (Message repeats)

Signal origin is automated distress beacon, not biological. Logging.

Electronic security intact. Unable to breach station systems from the outside. Possibility of hostile AI at 89.543%. Canceling dialogue. Authorized Terran user required for future attempts.

The probe AI found a small moon with wreckage orbiting a large asteroid belt. Too large for natural formation at current location. Probability of moon being dislodged from orbit of local planet at 67.0023%. Implications unpleasant… Logging.

Aside from several blasted and blackened craters on the moonbase, there were a few darkened unpowered structures visible from 5206’s position. However all of the wreckage kept obscuring its cameras.

Starbase destruction confirmed… Follow up protocol 45-9 initiated. Scanning debris orbits to determine time of battle.

Power output on primary facility remains constant with 0.001% variance. Transmitter damage probability increased. No other power sources remain active.

Negative findings for active ships or probes. No other discernible artificial energy signatures detected.

Findings logged.

Continuing passive observation until Gate-Recall.


Violet Spark sighed as the station’s stadium sized portal winked out and fell back into her chair. “Alright, everybody, we’ve got three days. I want the Flicker’s crew on standby five hours before Witness returns. Terrene, you have the chair until then.”

The control room around her bustled to obey. The chamber itself was filled with twenty operators seated in front of holographic stations for functions ranging from portal controls to the comms officer. Fingers, hooves, and small bursts of magic danced over the commands to prepare the station for the Terrans’ first foray into Koridost space.

Violet stared up at the ceiling while various different outcomes filled her thoughts. Can’t let the Koridost capture a probe while our portal’s active. They could link it back to us. Not like we can power such a long distance portal for very long though anyway. For the time being though, I’ve taken care of everything on my end. Now I can join mom on the first manned-

Her thoughts were interrupted by a picture of a grinning kelp-green earth filly popping up in her HUD.

Call from Bell Pepper.

A large smile crossed her face as she left her chair and walked outside before accepting the call. “Hey my little Green Bean, you know you’re not supposed to call me during work.” The headset’s section that was wrapped around her horn glowed green to show others she was on the phone.

“Hey, Gramma!!” The filly’s voice cried out, completely ignoring Violet’s statement. “Are you excited for tomorrow, huh, huh, are ya, are ya!!??”

Violet stepped towards an outer walkway where a vast window curved around the station’s command section and afforded a side view of the facility. “You know I am! Family day is best day, right?”

Pepper giggled manically. “I can’t wait to see you! I got you a bow tie for your mane! And not just any bow tie! I got a super special one fit for my super special alicorn Gramma!”

“Did you now? Well I can’t wait even more to see you!” The filly bubbled with laughter.

“Aah, momma’s home! She might know I was calling you at work, see you bye bye!”

Violet snorted in amusement as her granddaughter hung up abruptly. “That girl is going to be as much trouble as herd-momma Loki was. Poor Creative Constant, she’s got her hooves full with that one.”

Pausing a moment to center herself, Violet gazed out of the large windows. The command/living quarters of the station were the size of a football field and two stories tall. The massive portal ring attached at a perpendicular angle. Paired together, the whole station took on the appearance of a wedding ring hanging in low orbit above the moon.

I think it’s time to go home. I have to get ready for Family Day, and Sis thinks she found daddy’s new reincarnation. A melancholy frown marred her face as she placed a hoof on the glass, staring out to the blue and white orb that was her home. This Aquaria person may not be my father, or even act like him…

But if there is anything of him in her, then I want to be a part of his… her new life.

With renewed hope, Violet departed for the planetary teleporter. Although, due to the late hour, Violet would have to wait until morning to speak with her reincarnated father.

As she walked, she smiled and exchanged courteous nods to passing personnel. However, her mind was elsewhere when she started going over several e-mails both her sister and mother sent her while Violet was working. Interesting. Aquaria might not be that different from daddy if she’s a duelist.

Fond memories of her father’s aerial combat instruction bubbled to the surface. I may not be a duelist, but I wonder if Aqua will spar with me. A faint smile crept across her lips. It’ll be like old times, daddy.