• Published 11th May 2012
  • 1,452 Views, 30 Comments

When you're in... - PeaceColt112



Twilight discovers Pink Floyd as a separate universe

  • ...
0
 30
 1,452

More

Twilight woke up slowly this time, as if it was an ordinary morning. The first thing she noticed is that her hair was in her eyes. Hair! Eyes! Hooves! She had no idea when she got her body back or how, the only thing she knew was that having one is a very good sensation if you think about it. If you were to ask her, she wouldn’t tell you that she felt as if someone disassembled and reassembled her, instead she would tell you that she had one hell of a night’s sleep. Oddly, she could recall what being a mass of atoms felt like too. Well, there’s one thing you don’t think about every day, she told herself.

She shook her head and looked around, still somewhat shaken. The first thing she noticed was that it was unnaturally warm, almost hot. Soon she found out why. It was a desert, a very empty one. Thankfully it was a beautiful day, even though she had no idea if it really was day per pony definition. After her recent adventures (She had no idea how recent, or if the concept of time even mattered anymore) she learned to ask herself all sorts of strange questions. Do I really exist? How many moons does this place have? Can you manipulate the colours or any other physical properties? By now she had a checklist, since she had quite a lot of fun determining all those things. Twilight was a scientist after all, and finding out how stuff works was one of her passions.

Putting one of her hooves forward, she took her first step in this foreign place, and soon found out that the sand felt divine, very silky. Looking up, she realized that the planet had several smaller ones orbiting around it, and three of them were visible during day. She wanted to investigate closer, but the warm silkiness under her hooves drew her attention away.

For a while she just trotted around, taking in the sensation. She flopped and bounced around and had a lot of fun in general. Suddenly she rolled down a dune. When twilight arrived at the bottom after a rather abrupt descent, she wore a less amused look. Blowing the hair out of her eyes with a loud snort, she trotted forward, aiming to figure out where he was.
Right ahead of her stood a long silver strip of light. She couldn’t tell if it was a road or a body of water. Twilight decided to investigate. Slowly, cautiously she trotted forward, just in case something decided to sneak up on her like that pesky dune. After a few steps, she realized that she stood on something soft, almost feathery.

Looking down, Twilight found out that she was standing in the middle of a meadow. It was an almost unearthly beautiful meadow, full of flowers and puddles. But for some reason, there was nothing except plants all around, not even a butterfly. It was still the greenest, most beautiful meadow she had ever set hoof in. A bird could be heard somewhere, what surprised her, since she didn’t see anything alive anywhere in the meadow. It was almost ghostly. Music started playing, out of nowhere:

Lazing in the haze of midday,
Laughing in the grasses and the graze.
Yellow bird, you are not lonely
In singing and in flying on,
In laughing and in leaving.

Willow weeping in the water,
Waving to the river daughters,
Swaying in the ripples and the reeds.
On a trip to Cirrus Minor,
Saw a crater in the sun
A thousand miles of moonlight later.

It was so absolutely beautiful that Twilight’s mouth turned into a smile instinctively. It’s like she could see all the stars and galaxies. The sheer feeling of being in that meadow and hearing the music made her feel so happy that when she finally collected herself, she realized she had tears running down her cheeks. She had to go on, towards the streak of light.

Soon, she arrived at the bank of what turned out to be a river. It was very long and extremely shiny. It was an opaque liquid, flowing freely and steadily. Twilight was thirsty already, from all the walking, so she decided to take a sip.

It was a sweet liquid, similar to nectar. Suddenly her hoof became purple. Out of the blue, the sky turned green, and it was night...and then day again, and then night again. Twilight walked forward and as soon as she took her first step, a heavy electric guitar chord echoed out of nowhere. And then another one and another until Twilight was making music by simply bouncing around. The colours were shifting all the time, and with every bounce they turned more vivid. The day-night cycle grew erratic, the sun rising in the west, then going down and rising in the south. The moons were bouncing off each other. Twilight felt something on her back, something feathery. She had wings! Immediately she took off doing all sorts of crazy loops and jumps and spins. Now he knew why Rainbow liked to fly. It was a sensation unlike any other, that feeling of absolute freedom. As she trashed her wings, she made more music. A very vivid voice began to sing:

Oh, my tears wept like a child.
How her golden hair was blowing wild.
Then she spread her wings to fly,
For to fly.
Soaring high above the breezes,
Going always where she pleases.
She will make it to the islands in the sun.

I will follow in her shadow
As I watch her from my window.
One day I will catch her eye.

Suddenly, tiredness overcame Twilight, and she could flap no more. Her wings fell tired and she tumbled towards the ground in a corkscrew motion. The meadow seemed to open up and take her into itself. She fell into a liquid, and started sinking. Her hooves desperately gasped for air and her hooves kicked, but to no avail. Twilight’s body relaxed and she started sinking. It was too little too late...

Twilight’s mind flickered in and out of consciousness, images flashing trough her head, surreal images. Images of Ponyville hundreds and hundreds of years after Twilight left. There was nothing but rubble. She felt nothing. Emptiness. Void. Nothing at all. It was a total and mass numbness of all her senses. There was nothing in her mind, nothing at all. She felt just like the atoms, but far sadder.


As she sank trough the dark fluid, a voice began singing in her own mind, even though it seemed distant and secluded:

The path you tread is narrow
And the drop is shear and very high
The ravens all are watching
From a vantage point nearby
Apprehension creeping
Like a tube-train up your spine
Will the tightrope reach the end
Will the final couplet rhyme

And it's high time
Cymbaline
It's high time
Cymbaline

She finally touched the bottom of the liquid, all alone. She couldn’t take it anymore, not in this place. She wanted to go to the next one. There was only one thought in her mind, It felt like a cold knife stuck in an empty drawer, just sitting there. It was almost a whisper, a plea of the desperate. It was too much.. It was a sentence. One. Sentence.

Please wake me