• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 415 Views, 5 Comments

Survival of the Fittest - Szalhi



Earth's moon has changed. It appears to now be a thriving world. A squad was sent to the surface to investigate what's their. But the squad didn't make it through and now Josh has to mix with the locals. They seem to have problems of their own.

  • ...
 5
 415

You probably thought you were going to die today

Author's Note:

Another chapter written in an hour. My goal are to spend only one hour on chapters and write almost daily.

Next chapter: This guy is a badass


Five years earlier


Josh was fighting through an office building. Terrorists were holding it up and he was tasked with dealing with it. He wasn’t from the country, but it didn’t really matter. These days the world is more united, but that doesn’t mean there’s less violence.

Josh busted through the door. His carbine in hand. The Terrorists were supposedly on the higher floors. This would mean he would have time to plan the attack more thoroughly. He checked around for targets. There were no targets in sight.

“Room clear. Advise, do not send backup.”

He swept the next room and found no targets. The Intel was currently correct. They weren’t occupying lower floors. He approached a staircase and went up to the second floor. He looked right off the staircase and saw a lone terrorist wandering the halls. He wasn’t armed well. Josh approached him and quickly pinned him to the walls.

“Now, you tell me all you know about your mates, and shit won’t go down.”

“C’mon dude, like you’re going to let me go for telling you. You guys never do that to people like us.”

“Man, I will find your family, and I will deal with them if you don’t do that,” Josh Blackmailed him. Technically, he isn’t allowed to blackmail them unless on warrant, but he wasn’t actually going to do it.

“Man, you will probably go see them anyway.”

Your family aren’t terrorists are they? If they are, maybe I will go see them, Josh thought.

“Look buddy, Unless your family committed a crime, nothing majorly big will happen to them.”

“Ok fine, they’re on the fourth floor. You might want to go there. Now please, just leave me and my family alone.”

Josh grinned and handcuffed the Terrorist. He went through with it, so he didn’t really deserve to die. Josh went up to the next staircase. A door was blocking it.

“Damn it. I can’t blow the door, it would alert them.”

“No shit, it’s also not like I can get you through there. I’ve never even been up there.”

Josh looked at the nearest window. He could possibly climb to the third floor, provided that he doesn’t rush right into them. He opened it up and looked up. It wasn’t that far up. He could attach a grapple.

“Next time, shut up man,” He said as he shot the man. He clearly had a knife in his hands and was trying to stab him.

Josh climbed up to the third floor window and looked inside. This lead directly to an office room which wasn’t occupied. He climbed inside and approached the office door. He peered through the window and saw a group of Terrorists inside. This might not go good.

“Requesting back-up, it might get hot up here.”

”Negative, Backup will make it too hot. Suggesting tear gas.”

“That could work. I’ll try it.”

Josh equipped his gas mask and a few canisters. He quickly opened the door and chucked the canisters inside. Chaos wreaked as terrorists reacted to the gas. Josh smiled and peered through the window. There weren’t as many active terrorists, but some managed to find and equip gas masks too. They also looked uglier and cheaper.

“Ugh, I guess I can deal with that myself.”

Josh Burst into the gun with his carbine and fired at a couple of hostiles. He ducked behind a desk and equipped a thermal optic. He fired at a couple more hostiles. One of them chucked a grenade his way. He chucked it back and damaged some hostiles.

“You know, Back up would be nice.”

”Negative, you’ve got it covered.”

He fired at a couple more of them. Command was right. He did have it handled. He looked through the optic and found no more targets.

“That was easy as…”

Josh didn’t even get a moment to relax as a hostile grabbed onto him and attempted to slit him. He grabbed the knife and tried to force it back. He couldn’t get it back though. He grabbed at the hostile’s mask and ripped it off before releasing the tension and evading the knife. He proceeded to walk to the staircase. He walked upstairs where he was met by a door.

“Alrighty, kick open door, rain hell.”

Josh kicked open the door and stepped inside. All around him, were the unexpected. Young boys barely armed. Scientists that looked like they shouldn’t be here. They all looked at him in horror. None of them could even move their weaponry.

Josh looked at all of them. His job was to eliminate them. And eliminate the terrorists is what he should do. It was his orders.

But there was nothing about shooting children and scientists. Just the troop’s right?

Josh sighed and holstered his gun. He couldn’t do it. He was supposed to be a good person protecting the good and fending off evil. But sometimes he thought that command was the real evil sometimes.


Present


Josh stood there as he thought of the people he saved back then. The real reason he Signed up for this mission. It was to get away from the command. To do something, but outside their hands.

Josh sighed and dropped his handgun.

“Ok, let’s talk.


“So you’re meaning to tell us you’re from a different world?”

“Yes, A different world. This world happens to be right next to this one.”

“And did you magically teleport here?”

“Magically? Heck no. Magic doesn’t exist. Well, wait, does magic exist here?”

“Magic’s the centre of beings. Everything runs on Magic! How can you tell us you don’t have magic? How can you live like that?” Twilight exclaimed.

“I don’t know how your magic works here, but we have enough technology, that it kind of feels like magic. I came here on that over there,” he said pointing to the broken ship.

“That rustic junk?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Well, it kind of is rustic junk. But before it was fully functional and capable of medium level space travel.”

“Space travel? You achieved space travel? We haven’t even achieved space travel!”

“By the looks of it, you’re focused too much on magic. Besides you look like you’re still developing. Who knows magic might not work in space.”

“Oh Celestia, what am I thinking for all I know you could be here to take us over. Why are you here?”

“Too be honest. This world, is our moon. Now, that’s the conspiracy. I don’t think this world was always our moon. It used to be a dull white land of no life. But now, it’s this. We needed people to go up and see what’s here. And that, happens to be me. And only I remain here today.”

“Do you think it has to do with nightmare moon?” AppleJack asked.

“That can’t be right, His world has no magic. Nightmare moon is linked a lot with magic.”

“Boring talk, c’mon I want to find out all the neat stuff you have!” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I’m sure you do. Just promise me one thing. You won’t turn around and kill me.”

“Why would we turn around and kill you? We would’ve thought you’d kill us.”

“Just making sure.”


“So, these are Fire-arms?

“Yes, They propel high speed projectiles. Each one is a different size and works differently,” Josh said picking up the hand gun. He Aimed at the ground and fired it.

“That sounds powerful,” Twilight said as she checked the hole left by the bullet. “That was deep. How powerful does it need to be?”

“They need to be powerful enough. Sometimes the more powerful fire-arms aren’t the best. They’re less simple to use and normally larger.”

“These sound really dangerous, what do you use them for?” Fluttershy asked.

“My world, is not, a safe place. Not everyone likes each other, and several wars have occurred. Fire-arms are the most iconic way of attacking each other and used for defense.”

“So, These could tear down a timberwolf? Twilight, you need to take these with you!”

“Woah there, I don’t even know how to use these.”

“You mentioned timberwolves. Are they dangerous?”

“Very dangerous. But they’re also not one with harmony. They reproduce quickly but rarely strive out of the Everfree, their natural habitat.”

“You think I can demonstrate on them?”

“Ugh,”

“C’mon Twilight, I’m sure nothing can kill us with this badass around.”

“Okay, fine. We can bring a random stranger to the Everfree to demonstrate their weaponry. You happy now?”


Comments ( 2 )

This needs a fair bit of work, but you might be onto something

Indeed. This has potential. Please, continue...

Login or register to comment