• Published 1st Jun 2015
  • 7,476 Views, 432 Comments

Sunflower - Life in Equestria - Hoopy McGee



A collection of side stories based on Project Sunflower: Harmony

  • ...
19
 432
 7,476

Humans in Ponyville, Chapter 5

The area around the grass-roofed cottage gave Tandy flashbacks of her uncle’s pet store in Chicago. She had spent two years there as a teenager, ringing up customers, feeding animals and cleaning cages, all while trying to save up for her first car. It was because of that smell that the sixteen-year-old version of herself had sworn to never work with animals again.

At least Fluttershy put some effort into cleaning up after her animal friends, or the yard would have been a lot worse. Judging by the mass exodus of fuzzy and feathered critters that had streamed away from the cottage as she and Erika had approached, the cottage and surrounding area was one short step away from being a large petting zoo.

Fluttershy had matched her animals’ skittishness, hiding behind her flowing mane whenever she couldn’t just fade into the background. She was currently holed up inside her house discussing who-knows-what with Erika, the mousy brunette. Erika the little mouse and Fluttershy the animal caretaker, of course they’d get along.

Tandy snorted as she began drilling the holes needed to secure the mount for the wireless access point to the exterior wall. The fact that Erika had been invited inside of the home of the tiny little pegasus, who had seemed downright terrified of Tandy, had more than a little to do with her growing annoyance at the whole situation. Not to mention that she was out here trying to do a two-person job solo.

It was a sunny day, and Tandy’s irritation was helped along by the sweat prickling along her scalp. Today’s wig was one of her most uncomfortable, a thickly-layered shag cut in an alternating series of electric dark and light blues. It was chosen specifically to fit in with the Ponyville crowd and had earned her many admiring glances from the pony folk during her walk out to Fluttershy’s cottage, but it was hot as hell with the sun right on it.

Still… it was worth it, to look this good.

Tandy had gotten the last of the holes drilled and was getting ready to install the mount when she heard the front door open and close. Erika came around the side of the cottage a moment later, carrying her bag in one hand and frowning down at the grass under her feet as she approached.

“Finally ready to help?” Tandy asked, carefully wiping the sweat from her forehead with a cloth.

Erika jumped a little, a guilty look drifting across her face. She put the bag down with exaggerated care before nodding. “Sorry about that. Fluttershy had some questions about the Wi-Fi.”

“I figured.” Tandy shook her head as she came down the ladder. She glanced at Erika’s bag, sitting in the shade under Fluttershy’s house. Was it a little fuller than before she went in? “So, you want to unpack the AP while I sort out the cabling?”

“Sure thing,” Erika said, breaking out her box-cutter and setting to work.

~~*~~

“So, what’s with the hole?” the little yellow earth pony asked.

“I was kinda wonderin’ that myself,” Radio Wave said, the charcoal-colored unicorn glancing curiously at the hole Jerry had cut into the roof of the closet earlier that morning.

“The hole is attached to a newly-installed duct that vents out on the side of the house,” Jerry said. “This end of it is going to be fitted with a fan.”

He held up the fan in question, plastic with a metal collar and about the diameter of a dinner plate.

“Okay,” the filly said, arching an eyebrow. “But why?

“I was just about to ask that!” Radio Wave added in, grinning at the filly and ruffling her mane with a hoof. She grinned up at him, preening at the attention.

Jerry rolled his eyes. He was stuck with the stallion at the Mayor’s insistence. She’d wanted a local pony “expert” who could maintain the equipment, which made sense. Even though there was no way Radio Wave would be able to do much more than power cycle anything that wasn’t working.

As for the filly, for some incomprehensible reason Erin had decided that it was okay for Apple Bloom to sit and watch as much of the installation as she wanted to, provided that she stayed out of the way and didn’t touch anything. And then, of course, she’d vanished somewhere, leaving the filly with him.

“The equipment we’re installing here is going to generate some heat. We’re putting in ventilation so that the heat doesn’t build up—”

“And start a fire?” Apple Bloom asked, her eyes lighting up at the prospective mayhem.

“No, of course not. So that it doesn’t cause the equipment to get damaged. It would shut itself down before it got anywhere near hot enough to start a fire.”

“Oh, that’s good. I wouldn’t want the house to burn down.”

Jerry noticed her eyes wandering over to his open toolbox. She took one hesitant step, and then another.

“Nope,” Jerry said flatly, bringing her up short.

“I wasn’t gonna touch ‘em!” Apple Bloom protested. “I just wanted to look at ‘em!”

“What did I tell you before?” Jerry asked.

Apple Bloom sighed. “You said you’d kick me out if I did anything dangerous, even if it ain’t your house.”

“Danged right,” Jerry replied with a satisfied nod. “I’ve seen people get badly injured with power tools. You treat them with respect, or you get hurt.”

“He’s right, kiddo,” Radio Wave added in. “Once saw a stallion near cut his leg off with a bandsaw because he wasn’t payin’ attention.”

The filly’s eyes widened. “No foolin’?” she squeaked, looking a little green.

“No foolin’,” Radio Wave replied somberly.

Apple Bloom’s eyes narrowed defiantly. “I’ve used power tools before, an’ I’m always careful.”

“Well, you aren’t using mine,” Jerry replied shortly as he worked the collar for the fan into the hole. “Your parents want to let you use their power tools, that’s their business.”

“Ain’t got no parents,” Apple Bloom muttered. Her whole body seemed to droop towards the floor as she said it, her ears sagging and her eyes looking down between her hooves. “They died when I was a baby.”

Jerry’s heart lurched briefly. “Sorry, Apple Bloom. I didn’t know.”

The filly sniffled and ran a fetlock across her muzzle. “S’okay. I don’t really remember ‘em much at all. My Granny, sis and big brother take good care of me.”

Jerry used the ensuing awkward silence to get some more work done. The collar snapped into place, and the fan clicked in a minute later. Then it was just a simple matter of running the power cord down to the outlet that Sparky the electrician had installed in the closet for them.

“The cord’s just gonna hang like that?” Apple Bloom asked. “You should tack it up, or somethin’.”

“That’s the plan,” Jerry said. “Just going to make sure it runs without wobbling before I finish up.”

“Oh, I didn’t think of that! That makes sense.”

The fan started up with a quiet whirring noise. With the closet door shut, it was doubtful that Erin would even be able to tell that it was on. Which was kind of the point, really. The fan had a sensor that would turn up the speed as it sensed higher temperatures. He ran it manually through the various speeds to make sure it stayed put in its mount.

“I think that’s got it,” Jerry said a few minutes later with a satisfied nod. “Nice and tight, not so much as a wobble.”

“So, now you’re going to take care of the cord?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Yes. Yes, I am,” he said with a sigh.

“Can I help?”

Jerry wasn’t psychic, but he had a horrible premonition at that moment. The future stretched out before him, a future consisting of unboxing and racking equipment, each step accompanied by the piping, curious voice of a little filly who was far too eager to be truly helpful.

It was going to be a long day.

~~*~~

Tom Carsten walked the streets of Ponyville, the bright sun beating down on his dust-covered, balding head. They’d made great progress today on the solar tiles, so they had opted to take an extended late lunch to avoid the worst of the afternoon heat.

Not that there was a whole lot left to do for his team. Erin Olsen’s house wasn’t exactly large, with its simple gable roof. Tearing off the thatch had been much easier than expected, easier even than removing shingles would have been. The most time-consuming part, assembling and installing the framework used to attach the solar tiles, had been completed in record time.

As he walked through the town full of tiny horse-people, it struck him as kind of amazing how almost-normal it was to him now. It had been a struggle at first, with the townsfolk a weird cross between adorable and creepy, and he’d had to keep reminding himself that these were actual sapient creatures and not some strange animal.

Sure, he’d still have the occasional moment of confusion or disorientation when looking at the ponies, but those moments were becoming more and more rare. When you got to know them, the ponies started to seem like normal, if somewhat fuzzy, people.

“Hiya!” a voice chirped behind him.

Well, most of them seemed normal. And then there was Pinkie Pie, the bright pink mare standing behind him and wearing a pair of saddlebags stuffed with what looked like rolls of wrapping paper. A creepy-looking stuffed bunny was slumped on her back, its button eyes staring blindly up at the sky.

“Hello, Miss Pie,” Tom said, smiling in spite of the way his nerves twanged at the sight of the hyperactive party mare. He’d lost a good chunk of his hero worship of the Element Bearers after the “Welcome to Ponyville” party she’d thrown for them, but Pinkie still put him on edge. Maybe it was the way she never seemed to breathe while talking, or the way she jittered and moved constantly. He doubted Pinkie could stay perfectly still even if she tried.

“So, whatcha doin’?” Pinkie asked, looking up at him with her innocent blue eyes.

“Just on my way to grab some lunch,” Tom replied.

“No other humans with you?” Pinkie asked. A shadow seemed to cross her face right then. “That’s kinda sad.”

Tom shrugged. “It’s no big deal. I wanted to try that cafe near the town hall… Cafe Kartie, I think? The rest of the guys wanted to try one of the food carts at the market.”

“You’re all on your own? Well, I’m not hungry, but I suppose Mister Hugglebunny and I could walk you there!”

Tom was about to answer when a voice came from the stuffed rabbit on Pinkie’s back.

“I’m sorry, Pinkie,” the rabbit said in a doleful voice, “but I didn’t quite catch that.”

“Nevermind!” Pinkie said over her shoulder. She grinned at the rabbit and patted it with a hoof before turning back to Tom. “He’s such a good bunny, but he gets confused sometimes.” She cocked her head and frowned. “Is something wrong?”

“Did…” Tom pointed a trembling finger at the thing on Pinkie’s back. “Did that stuffed rabbit just talk?!

“Well, of course he did!” Pinkie said. She bucked her hindquarters, startling him and causing the rabbit to cartwheel lazily through the air, only to be caught in her forehooves. “My friend Sunflower gave him to me. He’s got a special tummy, see?”

She pointed a hoof at the overalls that the rabbit was wearing, the front of which had been cut out and replaced with something glassy. Tom stared at it for a moment before it clicked in his head.

“Oh, it’s a tablet!” He let out a nerve-ridden laugh. “Thank God, I was worried it was some sort of magical talking plush rabbit or something.”

“Oh, he’s plenty magic, alright!” Pinkie said with a grin as she hugged the stuffed rabbit in her forelegs. “He knows all sorts of things, and he can do math problems like nopony’s business!”

“I suppose,” Tom replied with an awkward smile.

Pinkie tossed the rabbit back into the air as she got back to her hooves, and it somehow landed perfectly on her back without sliding off.

“Anyway,” Pinkie said. “Want us to walk with you?”

“I guess?”

“Come on, then!” Pinkie said as she skipped away, humming a cheerful little tune.

Tom walked alongside the pink mare as she pranced through town, smiling and waving cheerfully at the ponies she passed and always getting a smile and wave in return. Tom briefly wondered what it would be like to be on such good terms with so many different people.

Probably a lot more work than it’s worth, he decided.

Tom lapsed into silence as they walked, the strange plush rabbit weaving drunkenly from side-to-side on Pinkie’s back with every step she took. Just like that, the weird feeling came back to him, the omnipresent realization that, no matter how familiar some of it looked, he was still on an alien world.

“What’s with the heavy sigh?” Pinkie asked, a look of concern in her eyes.

“Sorry, it’s just… after all of this, I think I could use a vacation.”

“You don’t like it here?” Pinkie asked, pouting.

“Oh, no!” Tom said quickly, shaking his head. “No, it’s very nice here. The buildings are nice, and all the ponies are… uh… nice,” he finished with a wince.

Pinkie giggled.

“It’s just that…” Tom shrugged helplessly. “I don’t know. It’s different from home, I guess. It’s not what I’m used to.”

“I suppose I can understand that,” Pinkie replied. “I visited an Earth town, and I watched a whole bunch of Earth movies that Sunflower gave me. It was almost like…” she trailed off for a moment, long enough for Tom to wonder if she simply forgot they were having a conversation, before she started up again. “It’s like, because it sometimes looks so close to what I think is normal, the stuff that isn’t normal stands out that much more.”

“Yeah…”

“And it makes you realize that your normal and my normal aren’t the same normals, so we get confused by all the different things that are normal on the other world that aren’t normal on our world, and that can make us stop and wonder, ‘just what is normal, anyway?’” She grinned up at him. “Or, at least it did. I stopped wondering that a while ago.”

“Uh…” Tom replied, not knowing what else to say.

“And this is the place, isn’t it?”

Tom glanced around, surprised to find that they’d covered the distance to the cafe already. “Yup.”

“Okay! Well, I hope you enjoy your lunch, and I’ll see you later!”

“Okay, bye” he said, but Pinkie was already trotting off in a different direction. He stared after her for a long moment. “Weird mare…” he said.

With a shrug, Tom started walking towards the cafe’s front door, his hands in his pockets and his eyes on the ground. After a little while, he started whistling a catchy little tune.

~~*~~

“Did you girls happen to walk past the movie theater on your way back to the hotel?” Michelle asked.

“Nope,” Tandy replied. She was sitting at the hotel room’s one tiny table, staring into a makeup mirror while clearing off the last of her foundation with a disposable wipe. She followed that up by tugging on one of her false eyelashes in order to remove it.

“No,” Erika said, huddled up on one of the beds. Her voice sounded dull and distant, as if she had something heavy on her mind.

Tandy spared the little mouse a look. She was sitting down on the mattress with a pensive frown on her face and her knees drawn up to her chest. Her dark blue bag, the same one she’d had out at Fluttershy’s, sat between her and the wall, the fingers of her left hand running lightly over the zipper. Tandy was just about to ask her what was in it when Michelle spoke up again.

“The marquee reads The Wizard of Oz. That can’t be right, can it?”

Tandy blinked at her, her left set of eyelashes still longer than the other. “What, like the actual Wizard of Oz? Dorothy and the scarecrow and everything?”

“I don’t know!” Michelle threw up her hands, exasperated. “The theater was closed, and there were no ponies around who knew. But it seems like too big of a coincidence for it to be a different movie!”

“Erin must have given it to them, somehow,” Erika said, chewing on her right thumbnail. It was a bad habit of hers, and the clicking sound of her teeth biting through fingernail drove Tandy right up the wall. The girl could have been passably cute if she tried, but her nails were always so ragged and disgusting.

“Makes sense,” Tandy said, finally getting her left set of false eyelashes off. She’d only packed disposable ones for this trip, so they joined the right set in the small trash bin next to the table.

“Well, I don’t like it,” Michelle muttered.

Tandy lowered the disposable pad she was going to use to remove her eye shadow and gave the other woman a curious look. “Why not?”

“Well… I mean, it’s an old movie, right? What if the ponies don’t like it, or think it’s stupid?” Michelle clasped her hands together and frowned fiercely at nothing. “I mean, it’s not like they have a whole lot to judge our species by, and that’s a pretty silly movie. Aren’t there better ones we could show them to give a better impression?”

“Like what?” Tandy asked, turning back to her makeup mirror.

“Oh, I don’t know,” Michelle replied, sounding hopeless. “Something uplifting, something that shows us in our best light.”

“So, something with no conflict at all?” Tandy asked, not bothering to temper the sardonic tone in her voice as she cleared off her eyeshadow. “Some boring piece of propaganda?”

“That’s not at all what I said,” Michelle snapped. “Why do you always put words in my mouth?”

Tandy grunted. “Sorry,” she said, trying to sound as sincere as possible. It had been four days already with the three women sharing one room, and there were still three days left. Far too long to deal with Michele if she got into one of her snits. “It was kind of a rough day,” she said, casting a significant glance at Erika, who was still chewing on her fingernails and staring off into space.

Michelle caught her look, looking briefly at the younger woman on the bed. “Oh, I see.”

Tandy started pulling off her wig, which had a comb in the front and back that was designed to go into her natural hair to keep it in place. “I don’t know what’s up with her, but she’s been a space-case ever since we went to Fluttershy’s cottage.”

“What’s that about Fluttershy?” Erika asked, coming up out of whatever daydream she’d been lost in. Her left hand clenched the straps on the bag she’d been absentmindedly stroking earlier.

Something is definitely up with that bag, Tandy thought as she put her blue-on-blue wig on its stand. She took a moment to scratch furiously at her scalp before pulling a brush out of her bag.

“Wasn’t talking about Fluttershy,” Tandy said, glancing at her out of the corner of her eye while taking the brush to the wig. “I just mentioned that you’ve been out of it since we talked to her earlier.”

“Oh,” Erika said, her voice tight as she tensed up.

“Okay, that’s it,” Tandy said. She put the brush down and stood up. “What’s in the bag?”

The little mouse looked up at her with wide, scared eyes. “What?” she squeaked.

“The bag. The one you’ve been treating like a national treasure most of the day. That one right there,” Tandy said, pointing at it.

“N-nothing,” came the expected and obvious lie.

It wasn’t a large room. Tandy only needed two steps to reach Erika’s bed. “Come on, hand it over.”

“No!” Erika yelped, clutching the bag to her chest.

“Why not? You got something in there that will get you in trouble?”

This time, Erika’s “No!” was indignant rather than panicked.

“You didn’t steal something from her, did you?” Michelle asked, hands on her hips, every inch of her radiating a disapproving matronly aura.

Erika gaped at Michelle. “No, of course not!”

“Look, either you show us what’s in there, or I go get Jerry,” Tandy said. It was a bluff, of course. There was no way she’d be heading out of this room, wigless and sans makeup, for anything short of a bathroom trip or an emergency.

Erika, bag clutched white-knuckled to her chest, looked desperately between the pair of them. Finally she sighed as her shoulders slumped. “Fine. But you have to promise to keep it a secret.”

Tandy exchanged a glance with Michelle, who was frowning. “If you stole something—” she started.

“I didn’t steal anything!” Erika muttered. “Fluttershy gave these to me! You can even ask her, if you don’t believe me.”

“Fine,” Tandy said with a roll of her eyes. “Enough with the mystery, already. Just show us what’s in there.”

Erika sighed again as she unzipped her bag. She reached inside and pulled out several glossy magazines.

“Uh. Fashion magazines?” Michelle asked reaching for them. She scowled as Erika jerked them out of her reach.

Pony fashion magazines,” Erika clarified.

“Is that Fluttershy on the cover of that one?” Tandy asked, pointing.

Erika winced. “Yeah. When we were talking, she mentioned she used to be a model—”

Tandy burst out laughing. “What? Little Miss Run-from-the-camera was a model?”

“I think it’s a big part of why she runs from the camera,” Erika replied with a thunderous scowl. “It wasn’t a pleasant experience for her.”

“Uh, do you know how much that’s worth?” Michelle asked, her hand twitching towards the magazine.

“Of course I do,” Erika said, hastily putting the magazines back in the bag.

“I wanted to look at those!” Michelle whined.

“No. I didn’t even want you to know I had them,” Erika reminded her.

“There are magazines and news channels offering millions for decent pictures of Fluttershy,” Tandy said, feeling faint. It had been drummed into their heads since day one that they weren’t allowed to take pictures of the ponies without their permission. Especially Fluttershy, considering the harm it could do to human/pony relations if it was discovered that a camera-happy human was harassing one of Equestria’s national heroes. “For so many pictures that good, we’re talking an early retirement for all three of us.”

“Don’t get any funny ideas,” Erika said, her eyes narrowing dangerously.

“Why did Fluttershy give those to you?” Tandy asked. “Did she know how much they’d be worth on Earth?”

Erika grimaced. “I might have mentioned it. I wished I hadn’t. She told me she wants me to sell them.”

“So, why?” Tandy asked, honestly confused. “If she hates being in the spotlight so much, why ask you to do that?”

“And, are you going to share the money?” Michelle asked. It was all Tandy could do to not roll her eyes at the woman’s obvious greed.

“She wants me to give the money to animal shelters,” Erika replied sullenly, hugging the bag to her chest. “She said she wants to do good, to help out.” She straightened a little and added proudly, “She trusts me to do it for her.”

So long, early retirement, Tandy thought ruefully. “So, that’s why you’ve been out of it all day?”

Erika shook her head. “I’ve been out of it all day because I’m not sure if I should do it or not.”

“She asked you to, though,” Michelle said, eyes glued to the bag. “If you don’t want to, I can!”

Erika’s answering sneer showed what she thought of that idea. “I’m not sure I want to cause a media frenzy with Fluttershy at the center of it. She’s a really nice person. And she’s my friend.”

Tandy nodded. “Makes sense that you’d be conflicted, I guess. I’d say go for it, though. The kind of money that’s being offered, someone is going to get a picture of her eventually. If it’s going to happen anyway, it may as well be on her terms.”

Erika gnawed on her thumb again for a few seconds while she considered that. “Yeah. Okay. I guess you’re right. And, that way, I can make sure that the money goes where she wants it.”

“So, now that it’s all settled, can I see the magazines?” Michelle asked.

“No.”

“Aw, come on! I promise I’ll be careful with them!”

“No!”

Tandy sighed and returned to the room’s single small table to finish prepping her wig for storage. The other two women kept squabbling the whole while, with Michelle getting more and more whiny as the minutes stretched on. It eventually got to the point where she was ready to snap at the two of them to shut up when she heard a rattling noise.

“Uh, did you two hear that?” she asked.

“Hear what?” Michelle asked.

The rattling noise repeated itself. “That,” Tandy said, pointing at the window. With the shade drawn, there was no way of seeing what was outside.

Michelle frowned at the window. “You think it’s the wind?”

“I don’t think so,” Tandy replied as the rattling happened again.

She marched over to the window, grabbed the cord and gave it a quick yank. The shade went up, revealing the startled face of a very young pony with an orange coat and a purple mane. Tandy vaguely remembered seeing this particular filly a day or two ago.

“What the…”

The filly quickly lifted a very old-fashioned camera and pressed a hoof on the button. A loud “pop” sounded, and a blinding flash went off right in Tandy’s face. She reeled back with a shout, trying in vain to blink away the bright spots.

“I got a picture of one!” she heard the filly yell.

“Our cover’s blown!” another voice shouted back from ground level. “Get out of there, Scoots!”

One particularly horrifying thought hit Tandy like a freight train. That little filly had a picture of her, without makeup and with her natural hair still pinned down unflatteringly close to her scalp. She lunged for the window, throwing it open, which caused the filly to yelp in shock.

“Give me that camera!” Tandy shouted as she made a grab for it.

The filly yelped and leapt backwards off of the ladder that was propped up against the exterior wall of the inn. Tandy made a desperate grab for her and missed, but her terror at the filly’s inevitable fall turned to confusion and then understanding as a set of tiny wings on her back started buzzing. Rather than plummeting to her doom, the filly drifted towards the earth like thistledown, where two other fillies were attempting to hold the bottom of the ladder still.

Tandy leaned out of the window and stared down at the three fillies, who looked back up at her with wide eyes. The little orange pegasus lifted the camera and, with a loud “pop!”, took another picture.

“You little brats!” Tandy roared, shaking her fist at them. “You’d better hand over that camera!”

“Leg it!” the earth pony filly hollered.

The three fillies scampered off into the late-evening gloom. Tandy growled and strode to the door of the little room. She nabbed a big, floppy hat off of a hook by the door and jammed it down over her head, to at least try and guard her dignity once outside. As she flung open the door in order to pursue the troublemaking trio, she heard a smug Erika talking to Michelle.

“See? Not everyone wants to have their pictures ogled at by aliens.”