• Published 18th Mar 2015
  • 6,813 Views, 395 Comments

Love Beats Stupid - chillbook1

  • ...
23
 395
 6,813

PreviousChapters Next
LBS: Inebriation Beats Relationship Barriers

Friday nights were often the saving grace of high school students. Fridays meant freedom, albeit temporary, from all the stress and worries of school life. Monday through Thursday didn’t matter anymore; Now, it was Friday. Anything could happen on a Friday. Friends could meet up, relationships could be rebuilt, and one could have the time of their lives.

Except for the Sirens, who were sitting in their living room, groaning in boredom.

“We gotta do something!” exclaimed Sonata for the third time that evening. Since school got out and Adagio’s shift ended, the three rendezvoused in the living room and went about their normal routine; Aria picked her way through a large crate of comic books, Sonata rested her head on Aria’s lap while flipping through her phone, and Adagio sipped on a mug of tea while reading through whatever novel she had lying around. While this was the norm for the three, tonight Sonata found it unacceptable.

“Even if we wanted to, can’t you see that Adagio is busy?” asked Aria. “She can’t put that smut down for longer than a minute.”

“Shut up. I assure you, I can put down this trash whenever I choose,” said Adagio, her nose buried in Fifty Shades Freed.

“If it’s so bad, how come you’re still reading it?” asked Sonata.

“Because, Sonata, I already read the first two books. You know how much I despise an unfinished story,” grumbled Adagio.

“Yeah, Nata, we’d better let her read her book. We don’t want another Half-Life 3 situation on our hands,” snickered Aria.

“Over seven years and not a single word of its existence!”

For some reason, Sonata chose that moment to have a brilliant idea. She shot up, just barely missing Aria’s nose with her forehead. A big, cheesy grin broke out on her face to contrast the irritated frown on Aria’s.

“One day, you’re going to rip my comic or break my nose,” growled Aria. She closed her comic and returned it to the crate “Then, you’re going to disappear.”

“I know what we should do!” squealed Sonata, ignoring the threat. “We should go out for a drink!”

“A drink?” asked Adagio, raising an eyebrow and sipping her tea “You mean… Booze, correct?”

“Uh-huh! It’s been forever! I don’t think we’ve been to a bar since… I dunno when, honestly,” said Sonata. “I think Al was still alive.”

“That jerk owed me twenty bucks,” recalled Aria. “I hope the scars were worth it.”

“So what do you say? There’s a bar downtown that's supposed to be totes great! Let’s check it out!”

“I don’t know. Lately, I’ve felt like such a third wheel,” griped Adagio. “I thought things would be more normal after a few weeks, but you two are always joined at the hip.”

“Oh, did I mention that there are some hot guys who go by there all the time?” said Sonata. Adagio rolled her eyes and shut her book in annoyance.

“Come on, now. Did you really think that would be enough to convince me?” asked Adagio. She bit her lower lip in thought for a second. “How hot exactly?”

“Think Robert Pattinson, Chris Brown, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Channing Tatum,” listed Sonata. At this point, the only thing keeping Adagio seated on the floor was her own will, and that was quickly waning. She really, really, really didn’t want to give in, but she did like the idea of a bunch of Channing Tatum lookalikes all in one place.

“It’s not like I have a massive crush on any of those men,” said Adagio, in a shockingly unconvincing tone.

“Oh, and they have money. Tons of it,” added Sonata. Adagio was upstairs before Sonata could blink.

“Get ready girls!” shouted Adagio from the bathroom. “I’d like to leave before 9!”

Aria snorted her disapproval before getting to her feet and looking to her girlfriend. They shared a small laugh at Adagio, then headed upstairs. Together, they started digging through their respective closets. Over the years, they had acquired quite a few garments, and a select few followed them in every home they’d lived in.

“What’re you wearing, babe?” asked Sonata.

“Just some jeans and a tee. I mean, it’s not like I have anyone to impress, right?” said Aria. She pulled a pair of black jeans from her closet and went from indifferent to irked in record time. An off-white, almost beige splotching adorned the entirety of the left pant leg, splashing across to part of the right.

“Ugh! Who did laundry?” asked Aria angrily, though she already thought she knew the answer. Only Sonata was dumb enough to do something like this.

“Dagi did a load yesterday, and I hung em up for you,” said Sonata. She thoroughly inspected a shirt, then returned it to the depths of her closet when she concluded that chartreuse really wasn’t her color.

“Wait, this wasn’t you?” asked Aria.

“Nope. Adagio won’t let me do laundry anymore, remember? Not since the accident.”

“We had to replace all of our clothes and the apartment was flooded for a week,” Aria reminisced. “So it was Adagio who ruined these?” She sucked her teeth loudly. “Man, I loved these jeans.”

Keeping up with the day’s theme of sudden epiphanies, Sonata suddenly had a thought. Unlike her earlier realization, this one didn’t make her especially excited. Quite the contrary, she felt what might have been anger, or at least, the start of it.

“Hey! I just thought of something!” exclaimed Sonata.

“Hm? That’s new,” mocked Aria. “What’s that feel like to you?”

“You’ve never said it! We’ve been together for, like, a month, and you still haven’t said it!”

Aria thought a second, trying to do two things. Primarily, she was searching for a suitable replacement pair of jeans. On a subroutine, she gave herself the task of deciphering what in the world Sonata was talking about.

“I give up,” said Aria. “What haven’t I said?” She reached back into her closet and took out a pair of similar jeans, these belonging to Sonata. Not caring to ask how they got in there, Aria laid them on her bed.

“You haven’t said ‘I love you’!” said Sonata dramatically.

“So?”

“So? So?! You should’ve said it by now! This is a huge deal!”

“You haven’t said it,” noted Aria. “Why is it my job to initiate?”

“Cause you’re the guy! It’s the guy’s job to say it first!” said Sonata, as if it were obvious. Aria raised a questioning eyebrow, then pulled a violet tank top from her closer.

“I’m the guy? What’re you talking about?” asked Aria, pulling off her old shirt and slipping into her new tank top. “I think you might need to start keeping your fantasies in your head.”

“You know what I mean! You’re way more masculine than I am,” said Sonata. “If we were a regular couple, you’d be the guy.”

“So, just because I wear the pants, I have to do something I don’t feel comfortable doing?” asked Aria. She unbuckled her pants and pulled on Sonata’s. “That’s not really fair.”

“How come you’re not comfortable saying it?” asked Sonata.

“Cause I'm not. Can we just drop it for now while you get dressed?” said Aria, though it sounded less of a question and more of a demand. “I can practically hear Adagio’s ragged breathing.

“Shut up!” Adagio shrieked from the bathroom.

Aria let out a heavy sigh, then rose from her bed. Without a word to Sonata, she simply slid out of the room. Sonata was puzzled, and a little hurt, but didn’t pursue the issue. Finding an outfit was more important, and, as soon as she did, she’d be able to get some answers out of her girlfriend.


As soon as the three Sirens crossed the threshold of the bar, three very distinct thoughts ran through each their heads. As was usually the case, these thoughts were about as different as its owner’s viewpoint.

I’m so gonna have fun! thought Sonata, for she saw nothing but fun times ahead. There were tons of interesting people to talk to, the entire place had an atmosphere of friendship, and the bartender had a genuine smile on his face. Sonata saw opportunity.

I’m so gonna lose my mind! thought Aria, who saw everything Sonata saw and hated it. Too many people, too much noise, and what in Tartarus was that bartender grinning at so hard? The only reason Aria didn’t turn and leave at once was standing right next to her.

I’m so gonna get laid! thought Adagio, ignoring everything except the multitude of attractive, lonely, and (presumably) wealthy men scattered across the semi-crowded bar. In a slightly different way from Aria, Adagio also saw opportunity.

“To the bar!” declared Sonata, grinning widely. Adagio and Aria followed as Sonata led them forward. Adagio had a devious, minxy smile on her face, and she set herself a challenge.

“Seven minutes,” she said when the three reached the bar. Each of them deposited themselves on the wooden bar stools. “Seven minutes before I talk one these hunks into buying me a drink or twelve.”

“Someone’s confident,” said Aria. “Be careful, now. You don’t know what kind of weirdos hang out here.”

“Don’t you dare try to ruin this for me! This might be the best idea Sonata ever had, and I refuse to let your sour attitude get me down!”

“That’s the spirit, Adagio! Just let the good times come to you!” said Sonata. She already felt victorious, and the bartender hadn’t even served them yet.

“Whatever. All I know is that the bartender better get over here, ASAP,” grumbled Aria. “I need some booze already.”

“Excuse me,” said a man from behind Adagio. “Is this seat taken?” He pointed to a stool beside Adagio.

Dreamy blue eyes? Check. Chiseled features? Check. Washboard abs? Adagio couldn’t be entirely sure, but, at a glance, check. He covered all the bases, in big ways. Engaging Hunt Mode.

“Only by you,” said Adagio, barely choking back a girlish giggle. The man took a seat and tilted his head slightly at the sight of Adagio.

“Sorry, this might come off as creepy, but…” the man said. “Since you walked in, I couldn’t keep my eyes off of you.”

“Oh, I’m flattered,” said Adagio. “But are you sure you should be talking to me? Your girlfriend can’t be very happy with that.”

“That’s not a problem. I’m not seeing anybody right now.”

“In that case, my name is Adagio. I didn’t catch yours,” Adagio tilted her head in the same way.

“I’m Spencer. Pleased to meet you.”

“And you’re absolutely sure that you don’t have a girlfriend?” asked Adagio. Spencer shook his head. “Would you like to go to a booth and chat?”

“Oh, I couldn’t take you from your friends,” said Spencer bashfully. Adagio got up and grabbed Spencer by the wrist, smiling flirtatiously.

“I assure you, they will manage without me,” said Adagio. That ended all argument, and Spencer allowed himself to be led by Adagio. Aria and Sonata stared, wide-eyed at Adagio’s… skill, for want of a better word. Just before she was out of sight, Adagio managed to mouth “Don’t wait up” to the other two, which made her intentions clear.

“Wow. That’s something special,” said Aria.

“She could talk to someone after two minutes and it took you fifteen hundred years to ask me out?” asked Sonata.

“It is totally not the same thing! I want a girlfriend, she wants a sugar daddy,” sneered Aria. Sonata had to agree with that and so decided to leave it alone. An awkward silence threatened to arise, thankfully overturned by the appearance of the bearded bartender.

“Sorry for the wait, ladies. What can I get you?” asked the bartender.

“Irish Trash Can, please,” said Sonata.

“Jack Daniels for me,” said Aria. Sonata laughed and shook her head.

“She’s joking. Get her an appletini,” said Sonata.

“What? No. That’s a girl drink,” argued Aria.

“Babe, you drink like a girl,” Aria growled angrily, and Sonata raised her hands in defeat. “Okay, okay. Get her her whiskey, and bring an appletini as well. Just in case.”

“On it,” said the bartender. He reached under the counter and pulled out a pounder glass, a martini glass, a whiskey glass, then went back down for the multitude of bottles he’d need, as well as a can of Red Bull. He poured and mixed and stirred until the Sirens were looking at three glasses, one filled with a light green liquid and a Red Bull can, one with an amber liquid, and the last with a nearly glowing neon green drink.

“There you are. Just let me know if you need anything else,” said the bartender with a smile.

“Thank you,” said Sonata, returning the smile. As he walked away, she crossed her arms and looked at Aria. “Well? Aren’t you going to drink?”

“Whatever,” grumbled Aria. She took her whiskey glass and took a sip, the liquid instantly burning her throat. She slammed the mostly-full glass onto the table and started coughing furiously.

“See?” said Sonata. She took the glass and drained it in one gulp. “You drink like a girl.”

“Okay, so maybe I have over-romanticized memories of whiskey,” admitted Aria. “That doesn’t mean I like appletinis.”

“You could at least try it,” said Sonata, pulling the can from her glass. She watched in amusement as Aria grabbed the glass in the same way that a person might grab a sleeping cobra.

“Cheers!” said Sonata brightly, clinking her glass against Aria’s.

“I still don’t think I’m going to like this,” mumbled Aria, taking a careful sip. She looked at the glass, then drank the whole thing.

“Well? Do you like it?” asked Sonata, sipping her own drink.

“Oh, shut up,” said Aria playfully. Content with her girlfriend’s slightly improved mood, Sonata let out a sigh and sipped her powerful drink.

“Glad you like it,” said Sonata.

“Yeah… Guess you do know me pretty well,” admitted Aria. “So… What now?”

“We drink, get tipsy, talk about stuff, and maybe get kicked out of the bar,” listed Sonata. “Sound fun?”

“Definitely. So, how many of these will it take to get to the second step?”

“Let’s find out,” said Sonata. She waved the bartender over and asked him to refill Aria’s drink. When he was done and had started to walk away, Sonata steeled her nerves enough to ask the question that had been bugging her since they left the apartment.

“So… Can I ask you a question?” asked Sonata. Aria shrugged, but didn’t try to stop Sonata. “Kay. Why does it make you uncomfortable to say it? To say you love me?”

“I… It’s just that…” Aria couldn’t get the words out at first. “Okay. Let’s back up a bit. Remember when the three of us split up for a couple of years?”

Sonata remembered, though not very fondly. It was about eleven years that the three had gone their separate ways in search of Equestrian magic. Sonata was lost and lonely for the entire time, and it wasn’t an overall pleasant part of her life. When they met back up, they all agreed not to talk about it, and it never resurfaced. Until now.

“Yeah… “ said Sonata.

“I moved around a lot. Headed to Spain for a couple of years, then I stood in Germany,” said Aria. “It was hard. Met some people, and… It was just really difficult, you know?”

“What was so hard for you?” asked Sonata. Aria didn’t say anything for a while, instead busying herself with her drink. She drained her glass and planted it back onto the table.

“You must know what it’s like to be with someone, and then something happens to them,” said Aria. Sonata shook her head slowly.

“You’re the first person I’ve ever been with,” sighed Sonata. “Nobody ever noticed me, no matter how hard I tried to find somebody.”

“That’s their loss,” snorted Aria. “They’re missing out on a gem here. Should’ve taken you when they had the chance.”

Sonata beamed, her spirits raised. The look that she gave to Aria made her blush slightly, and she was more than willing to change the subject.

“I’ve been thinking about heading back there for a little while,” said Aria. “Spain. I’d like to take you out there.”

“That sounds nice. We should start planning it, huh?” asked Sonata.

“Definitely. I used to stay in Aragon, and I’ve been thinking about taking you and Adagio there,” said Aria. “Or maybe just us. But those are just my plans. What have you been thinking of doing? You must’ve been making plans since we lost the pendants.”

“I’ve been… Well, I’ve wanted to do something, but…” Sonata sipped her drink to try and loosen up. “I’ve been worried.”

“Bout what?”

“You’d call me dumb,” said Sonata.

“I always call you dumb.”

“Yeah, but…” Sonata let out a wistful sigh, then finished off her drink. “Okay. I’ve always wanted to do this, even before we got banished here. I’ve never had the chance, because I’ve been scared, but… I really want to sing.”

“What’s been stopping you?” asked Aria. She pushed her glass away, making a self note to ask the bartender for a slightly stronger girly drink.

“It’s so hard to get noticed. I don’t want to get rejected by anyone,” said Sonata, staring down at the table. “I don’t know how to get myself out there.”

“You can’t be afraid to jump out and do it. If you want something, you have to grab it,” said Aria. “Don’t let fear hold you back. You want it, you have to grab it.”

For the third time in that day, Sonata had a sudden burst of insight. She realized that Aria was right, that she had to grab it. But, more importantly, Aria needed help to practice what she preached.
Sonata jumped from her stool and hugged Aria tightly, kissing her softly on the cheek. Aria didn’t know how to react at first, but soon made a decision. She kissed Sonata deeply, breaking away when their breathing got too ragged.

“I love you,” said Sonata.

“I… I-I… I think….” Aria slurred. “I think you gave me contact buzz.”

“You wanna head home?” asked Sonata. Aria shook her head.

“No. I need to get some liquor in me, and then we need to talk,” said Aria. “Is that okay?”
Sonata called the bartender over, and the two drank some more. Sonata smirked slightly. Aria really couldn’t say it just yet. Sonata could deal with that, so long as they had some booze to drink and something to talk about.


The first thing Aria noticed was the pounding in her head. It wasn’t until she sat up and put her palm to her forehead did she realize that A) Her hair was down, B) She was topless, and C) She was on Sonata’s bed. Sonata herself was looking up at the ceiling, her eyes half-shut, and was wearing Aria’s tank top, her hair also down and loose.

“Morning, babe,” said Sonata drowsily. Aria fell onto her back, her migraine growing in intensity slightly.

“Hey. Last night was fun,” said Aria. Sonata rolled over and laid her arm across Aria’s chest.

“Sure was. How’s your head? Got a hangover?”

“Yeah, a little. I’ll be fine, though,” Aria laughed quietly. “You know how to party, huh?”

“I just like having fun, especially with you,” said Sonata. “Look, I’m sorry about last night. I shouldn’t have tried to pressure you into saying it. I won’t try to rush you anymore.”

Aria ran her hand through Sonata’s sea of blue hair. The memories from last night came drifting back and Aria tried her best to be upset, but she couldn’t bring herself to it. Mostly because she knew that she was being silly.

“I love you, too,” said Aria, kissing Sonata on the cheek. She closed her eyes and the two sat warmly, waiting for a reason to get out from the grasp of the other. If they were to guess, they wouldn’t find one for quite a while.

Author's Note:

Is it super obvious that I don't drink?

PreviousChapters Next