• Published 18th Mar 2015
  • 6,816 Views, 395 Comments

Love Beats Stupid - chillbook1

  • ...
23
 395
 6,816

PreviousChapters
LCS: Love Stories

“Wow. That was… beautiful. I wish I could’ve heard it from them,” said Blake. “But… Why bother telling me? Why now, Auntie?” Adagio ran a tired hand through her hair before limping over to the bed and plopping down next to Blake.

“Because Aria and Sonata were idiots,” said Adagio. “And, as their son, you were bound to inherit some of that stupid. So, I was expecting you to do the exact same stupid thing that Aria almost did.”

“What’s that? Getting cold feet?”

“Bingo, kid. So, knowing what an idiot you are, which isn’t your fault, I decided to tell you those stories. You needed to hear them. And you needed to hear them because you’re still asking yourself questions that don’t matter.”

“Like what?” asked Blake. His aunt was never this sentimental, and it was honestly a little concerning.

“Your whole life, you’ve been wondering what you are. Are you human or Siren? And I suppose I understand how you could mistake that for an important question.” Adagio studied Blake, seeing more and more of Aria the longer she looked. “That’s the question Aria answered when she went back to Equestria.”

“But she actually was a Siren,” noted Blake.

“Just as much as you’re a Siren now. Don’t you get it? Aria was a Siren because she chose to be one. She chose to join me and feed off of negativity, and she did that because that’s all she knew. For the first couple hundred years of life, Aria didn’t know love. She didn’t understand what it was like to have someone she’d give anything for. Soon, she started to understand what that meant. She left her heritage behind and assimilated a much kinder one. That moment when she realized that everything she knew about her old life was gone… That was when she stopped being a Siren. She sold her true nature in exchange for her humanity.”

“What good does that do me, exactly?”

“None, you moron, because you’re still thinking about it wrong. It’s not about the good it does you now, but the good it’s already done.” Adagio snapped her fingers to make sure Blake was paying attention. “Don’t you get it? Aria, Sonata and I lived long lives, and we’re passing some of it down to you. So, next time life seems crazy or terrible, just remember these stories. Remember the time Aria got stung by a jellyfish at the beach. Remember the time Sonata let a live reindeer into our two bedroom apartment. Remember the time I was so desperate for friends that I willingly ate a seaweed and snail juice cupcake.” Adagio shook her head. “That one still makes me queasy… And, right now, when you’re about to waste everything you have because of something stupid like fear, remember the time Aria almost did the same thing. Remember that she didn’t, and how glad she was that she didn’t. If she did what you’re about to, I wouldn’t have a little twerp to lecture right now.”

Adagio and Blake shared a laugh, then a hug. He really did appreciate his aunt’s advice, even if she did have a rough, sort of cold way of delivering it. In a way, it reminded him of Aria.

“So, Blake. What are you going to do?” asked Adagio. “Are you going to waste the time of everyone here? Or are you going to follow through and make a very lucky girl very happy?”

“Sorry, Adagio. Let’s go.” Blake rose, straightened his bow tie, then helped Adagio to her feet. Together, the two walked out to rejoin the festivities.

It was a perfect wedding. Blake looked back at his bachelor party, which he had left in the capable hands of his sister. Thanks to her, he had a heaping truckload of fun and had some of his fears alleviated. He really did owe his sister a lot for that. Then, when the big day arrived, all the dreams that Blake didn’t know he had came true.

The church, filled to burst with all the twins’ friends and family, not to mention Ahsley’s family. Blake was a nervous wreck when he finally made it to the altar. He was constantly adjusting his tux, pulling at his cuffs, straightening his bowtie. Then, down the aisle in the most gorgeous dress ever conceived came his wife to be. She moved with grace and beauty, stopping Blake’s heart in his chest. Ashley removed her veil, the two said their vows, nobody had any reason the two shouldn’t be wed, their peace was forever held, with these rings the two were wed and the bride was most certainly kissed.

Blake cried. Ashley cried. Even Bellatrix cried. And, through it all, Blake knew it was all thanks to Aria. He kept her knowledge stowed away for the future, and he drew from it near-daily. Thanks to her, Blake finally married the girl of his dreams.

It was, simply put, the most perfect wedding anyone had ever seen.

Author's Note:

And so, it ends. I hope I managed to keep some of you happy throughout this story, which ended up being waaaay too long. It was a good ride, tons of fun, and one of my favorite things to ever work on. Thank you to everyone for reading and thank you for your comments. It's changed my life, all for the better.

Goodbye.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 43 )

A beautiful ending for a beautiful story.

Farewell my friend.

Im gonna miss seeing the odd update to this story. It was cute. It was sad. It was exciting. And it was fantastic. Well done.

Alright. First off, beautiful story, I almost cried (Thank you "The Wheel and the Butterfly: A Dan X Pinkie Saga"'s comments section for providing a heartwrenching soundtrack literally half an hour before) Loved the way it went, and I'll be back to provide a detailed review when I reread it. First, gotta get through an SS&E daily from a while back, so don't wait up.

Keep up the good work, don't let anything get you down. This kind of story is something to be proud of. I'll miss LBS... and LCS, which were correctly deemed very close-tied by the mods to your chagrin.

All good things must come to an end I suppose. :pinkiesad2:Great story. It was so good 19 people turned their screens to like it again. :pinkiehappy: (Not me by the way.)

my goodness. finally caught up and i had keep a few tears out of my eyes. its beautiful. I feel like I've also warp-travelled on a bicycle with the timeskips, but considering WHY... i get it. Its.. bittersweet in some ways to me, but i get it.

I love both LBS and LCS. this is one of my favorite fics of all time. it was one of the things that added to my love for the Sirens when i was still joining the fandom. I got into Arinata because of this. so many warm moments in this for me. also, i REALLY loved the little injections of siren tradition. the swimming at Aria and sonata's Wedding and the use of song. i also loved the alliterative named of the younglings. heck, i think I will make use of that meself in the future!

I truly thank you for writing this story, it was such a ride. Good luck with what you write in the future. Tides be in your favor- ill keep an eye out.

And this goes in my Masterpiece section. Bravo. Just bravo. :twilightsmile:

Great Ending to a Fantastic Story.

11/10

7424352 Thank you for reading. May our paths cross again.

7424371 Thank you very much, friend. I appreciate your sticking with the story for so long.

7425035 Thank you. I feel people often underestimate how much it means to an author to hear things like this. The fact that you felt anything at all from reading my story... Makes all the work worth it.

7425716 I wondered if this story would have been better had I ended it earlier. Now, after realizing the ending, I couldn't imagine it ending any other way.

Thank you for reading

7426099 oh, don't I know it. I can't fathom how much more it takes to pull off a story this size, and even that pales in comparison to Skirtsian feats of prose. How long would you say you worked on this actively?

7425726 Thank you so much. I'm glad you've enjoyed it, because I sure enjoyed writing it.

7426026 Thanks.

Just. Thanks

7426033 Much appreciated, friendo

7426105 Hm... That's tough to pin down. For the first part, I put out a chapter, on average, every 4-10 days. When that finished, I took a long break, worked on some side-stories, then came back for LCS. Then, I put out a chapter a week for about 8 weeks. So, at a wild guess, I'd say about seven-ish months of total work.

This story was amazing. It's sad to see it over, but alas, all good things must eventually come to an end

I greatly enjoyed this story but I have one major question about it. How, after 1700 years of relative youth, did aria and sonata die after just another 40? It makes no sense.

7436908 Oy vey, I was kinda hoping nobody would ask... I have a few explanations, none of which I could really find a way to work into the story...

1) They are immortal, not invulnerable. Just because they lived to be 2,000 (almost) doesn't mean they can't succumb to something like cancer.

2) The pendants were the only things keeping them forever young. Now that they're gone, they aged normally.

3) They lived for long enough, and they were ready to say goodbye. Mind over matter. If the mind is willing, the body will follow, even to death.

4) Saying that another 40 after 1,700 shouldn't have mattered is like saying that 30 years after 55 shouldn't. Time just finally reared its ugly head.

That said, thanks for reading and enjoying! I really wish I could've slipped a decent explanation into the story.

Well, that was a great ride, it was a little awkward to get over the Sonaria ship but you made it work. The only issue I have is the same issue I have with all Siren stories on this site and that's that the Sirens in canon aren't immortal, they were sent forward in time. But that's just par for the course with fanfiction.

7469621 Really? That was never the implication I got. All that they really said is that Starswirl banished them to the human world. I don't recall any mention of time shenanigans. That said, I tend to miss little details like that, so I'll have to reinvestigate.

Thanks for reading and enjoying!

7469789

It was only ever implied in the movie. It wasn't confirmed until the Siren's origin story in the comics, hence why everyone writes them as immortals because no one reads the damn comics. The reason I say it's canon is because unlike the main series comics, the FIENDship comics were commissioned by Hasbro to tell the villain backstories.

img12.deviantart.net/62e3/i/2015/157/7/1/mlp_fiendship_is_magic_issue_3_sirens_page_21_end_by_illiowdarkness-d8v0y4k.jpg

As you can see, it's modern day Earth that they arrive in.

7503591 Never saw it. Just thought it was a fun reference.

I had this story sitting in one of my bookshelves for a couple months, and now I really wish I had read it earlier, because this was one of the sweetest things I have read in a long time. I read the whole thing in one sitting, and I don't think there was a single minute when I wasn't smiling and wishing I was in Sonata's shoes.

Thank you so much for writing this. Really brightened my day.

7504892 Your comment absolutely made my day. I love it so much when I can make my readers smile.

Frankly, this story was kinda bittersweet for me. On one hand, it was probably my favorite thing to work on so far. On the other hand, I found myself growing intensely jealous of Sony, Ari, and even Dag. Love is powerful like that.

Thank you so much for reading. It means so much to me, I can't even properly express it

7506201 Well, I feel like I should clarify. I wasn't just smiling, I was also laughing and crying, so bonus points for that. However, I also think I know exactly what you mean. This story was wonderful because it showed such a perfect relationship, but it's hard to see something like that and not be jealous of the people involved. Personally, I'm just glad that stories like this exist. It's really nice to just sit back and enjoy something cute once in awhile, and I'll definitely keep this story in mind if I end up writing Aria and Sonata scenes in the future.

7649954 A good friend is one who convinces you to step outside of your comfort zone and try new things.

Also, there was nothing to stop her from saying no. If she really didn't want to do it, she could and would have said no

7649268
I don't believe you can "earn" friendship or forgiveness for past wrongdoing. It has to be given because nothing is ever "enough" to earn those things. I mean what about being willing to potentially mutilate yourself (AJ or Fluttershy's tests, even if we knew they wouldn't actually be harmful, Adagio didn't) ensure that you "deserve" friendship or forgiveness?

If Adagio was still evil and manipulative she could still decide to do these things to gain their trust. If she was good she might not choose to do these potentially harmful things to herself, that doesn't mean she isn't worthy of their friendship.

As for the hair thing, hair is still a status symbol for women in many places/groups and there certainly is stigma against bald women, at the very least she would have suffered mocking and ridicule. A group of girls forcfully shaving another girl's head is a classic example of extreme bullying. On a more personal level it's apparently a big deal for Adagio, as she was quite attached to her hair, she liked it and she wouldn't look at herself in a mirror after it was done to her.

Lastly, I do say "force" a lot because in many ways she didn't have a lot of choice. Oh sure, there is the flat "No." but there was also a ton of social pressure being put on her not to do that. Even her own guilt and need for acceptance and/or help put pressure on her not to just say "No." Putting aside Sunset lying to her to get her in the house, locking the door when she first got in, and not telling her what she was to do until she actually was forced to do it, there are many ways you can "force" someone to do something they really don't want to do even with the option of saying "No" still being present.
7650029
A good friend does not however force her desires on you.

And Adagio did say no, repeatedly. It wasn't until Rarity brought up Silver, planting ideas about what he prefered (which could lead to all kinds of doubts, fear of him finding her unattractive, fear of him not telling her the truth, ect...) that she finally gave in. This did not at all read like a friend helping another friend to branch out to me.

Anyhow, I'm only giving my thoughts on the situations because I wanted to talk about them. Of course I did not need to "take it so seriously, it's a dumb chapter of a dumb story" and you don't need to worry about my "dumb comment on a story talking about minor issues of consent in a relatively harmless situation." I hope I didn't bother you too much with my comments, it wasn't my intent.

7650118 It did kinda bug me, but that's more my fault than yours. I get kinda Hitler when it comes to my stories, especially one as near and dear to my heart as this one.

Don't worry about it, mate.

7650140
And this is certainly a story worthy of being near to your heart. It's definitely a joy to read (considering I've read all of it in one go today) and overall I thought it was very good. I'm sorry if it only seemed like I was nitpicking negative things, I guess I tend to want to say things as I come to them rather than waiting for the end recall back to them. I usually read to the end and then sum up what I thought of it overall (and this is generally where I say good things about it) but in this case I kinda didn't get to that point before we had our discussion here. Anyhow, thank you for writing this story and sharing it with us. I do appreciate it and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

7982735 Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm still gonna play Devil's advocate for a moment.

The hair thing just isn't that big of a deal. Sure, it sucked, but I imagine she would've gotten over it almost immediately upon realizing that she was now a part of the group. That's all she wanted, really. Plus, Adagio's a tough girl. She can endure a bit of hazing, especially when there's an undo button on the way in the form of the hair potion.

Just think about your friends, your closest friends. What would you be willing to sacrifice for them? I'm willing to bet that it'll be more than your hair.

Thanks for reading.

7983293 eh. feel like this and Trixie being a priest (felt super off to me).




Leaving the Trixie thing aside cause that'd just open a kettle of fish I'd rather not

I guess my thoughts come from the fact that my own hair is something i take a LOT of pride in ands the idea of a group asking me to cut it while annoying and repetitive as many other have too i would still find it really messed up and doubt that I'd be willing to just happily sit in a room with them.

But i am not adagio and while i feel it was really really f'ed up for them to ask of her she also probably had a lot of guilt to prove to them and herself.

And so I'll leave it here. We both have thoughts and opinions but reguardless in the end this discussion doesn't matter. The story is the way it is. I have no want to change it or anything of the sort.

And so i wish you a good day and good life.

8546786
Blast it all! Still I love adagos interaction with the girls

I love it. Someone do a fanfic reading, a comic, fanart, and/or an audio drama of this please.

I was not ready for that feels trip, but goddamn. Thanks for almost making me cry at work. :raritydespair:

This story is seriously underrated. This was a cute, funny story that could even be touching at times.

Damn it the last two pages got me right in the feels

This has to be the best sonata x aria fanfic I've ever read. Sonata x Aria is my favorite ship in mlp. Thank you for this story. I hope you can make more sonata x aria stories in the future :D

just finished reading it and gotta say it was beautiful and wondering is there any sonata x adagio fanfics out there

Login or register to comment