• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 1,643 Views, 19 Comments

One Last Snowfall - Chaos Phantasm



Snowdrop, at the ripe old age of ninety seven, spends her final days in the company of her family as she visits Princess Celestia and Canterlot one last time. Spreading her wisdom and lamenting over her dearest friend.

  • ...
1
 19
 1,643

05: Thank you my friend.

Snowdrop: One Last Snowfall

Preread and edited by

=====================================================

Chapter 5

Thank you my friend

===============

Skylight sat alone in the living room of what was now her home in Cloudsdale. Snowdrop’s notes sat on the stable in a closed book. She had inherited them, as well as the house and everything in it upon the old mare's passing. The clock ticked loudly as she stared down at the notebooks, unable to decide whether or not she should finish them, writing down Snowdrop’s final moments would be too painful for her, too much. A knock came at the door, Skylight failed to hear the first one, but then came another, louder knock and Skylight blinked, shaking her head and glancing at the foyer.

"O-Oh… um… I'll be right there!" she called out.

Skylight lifted herself off of the couch and slowly walked over to the door. She passed the coat rack where Snowdrop would leave her coat. Taking a deep breath, Skylight opened the door to see Princess Celestia standing on the other side. This was a big surprise to Skylight, who had initially thought the princess didn't have time to see anypony specifically. It was snowing outside, despite the season it is supposed to be.

"P-Princess Celestia..."

Celestia bowed her head to Skylight in greeting. "I thought I would come and discuss the funeral arrangements... if that is okay with you..."

Skylight nodded and let the princess inside, two royal guards of pegasus origin stood by the door outside. Princess Celestia entered the house, passing Skylight as she did and walking into the living room. Skylight closed the door slowly and walked into the living room where the princess seemed to be looking around curiously.

"I haven't seen this place in years. Luna used to frequent this place when she was younger, when Snowdrop was younger."

"You may sit down, princess. I'll prepare some tea for you." Skylight turned from the living room and stepped into the kitchen just across the room by the hallway that went toward the front door.

"Do you like milk in your tea?" asked Skylight, who started grabbing milk from the fridge and tea bags and sugar.

"You put milk in tea?" the princess asked with much confusion.

Skylight popped her head out from round the corner to look at the princess. "Well I do, why? Don't you have milk with your tea?"

"I've never thought of trying it with milk... No milk will be fine." The princess smiled.

Skylight smiled in return. "Okay then." She popped her head back into the kitchen. She started to boil water over a warm fire while she prepared the tea bags.

While she waited, the princess looked around at the pictures of Snowdrop from various ages which hung against the walls of the living room and hallway. Snowdrop’s wedding photo sat on the table near the late elder’s autobiography, the princess couldn't help but levitate the framed photograph over to her so she could see it better.

"They were both wonderful ponies... Wind Waker and Snowdrop..." Celestia put the frame back and let out a sigh.

"They were..." replied Skylight.

The light cream colored pegasus came out of the kitchen with a kettle full of tea. She left it on the table and left once again to the tea cups and plates. She returned with those and rested one on the table in front of the princess. The cups were decorated with blue flowers, the plates too, they bared no tea stains. Skylight carefully poured the princess's tea into her cup, then some tea into her own, adding milk to it while the princess had none.

"Your visit might be in vain, princess... Mother has already made preparations for grandma to be cremated."

"I'm aware of this. Firn and I spoke extensively about the coming funeral, and the memorial service that is to take place here."

Skylight sipped her tea. "The funeral is to be held in Canterlot..?" Skylight said in a somber tone of voice.

"Yes, there her ashes will be buried. Her head stone is being finished as we speak. You'll like it, I'm sure of it," the princess spoke softly.

"It's not right..." Skylight shook her head.

"What do you mean?" The princess asked with a puzzled look.

"Her remains should be buried with grandpa Wind Waker's ashes... It would be the right thing to do... She would have wanted that."

Celestia smiled. "I know. That's why Snowdrop is to be buried in Canterlot, where Wind Waker's grave is. His head stone is set to be replaced with Snowdrop’s."

Skylight sighed in relief at this. "I wouldn't get to sleep at night knowing that they weren't together again."

"So, I take it everything is set, then?" the princess inquired.

Skylight nodded. "Yes. Everything is well with the funeral. It is to be held in two days, right?"

"That is correct, yes." Celestia finished her tea and put the cup down.

"Okay... I'm still just... I'm still moving on... I haven't been myself since she passed away... Aunt Snowdrift's probably doing worse than I..."

"She's recovering, or so Firn says."

"I doubt it... Aunt Snowdrift is more likely depressed than anything else... It's harder for ponies like her to heal after losing a loved one. The void in their hearts is sure to be larger than ever."

Celestia frowned at this, looking to her right. "I understand their pain. Voids like that can never be filled, the loved ones can never be replaced. I too share this void, though I wish I did not have to... I do..."

Skylight finished her tea and fell silent. The clock ticked by, it was loud and audible, cutting through the silence as if it were butter.

"Well. I should get going. I will be attending both the memorial service here in Cloudsdale, in addition to the funeral in Canterlot." Celestia stood up and looked down at Skylight.

Skylight put down her cup and stood as well. "And I better check on Aunt Snowdrift. I want to see for myself whether she's okay or not."

Celestia smiled warmly. "Cherish your family, Skylight. Cherish them as Snowdrop did. My family is somewhere I cannot go, but in time we will reunite."

Skylight smiled and nodded. She bowed to Princess Celestia, who bowed back in turn.

"I will see you later then, Your Highness," Skylight said courteously.

"And I will see you also, Skylight Cloudbreaker."

~~~

The memorial service in Cloudsdale was attended by the families of the ponies grandma knew during her long life. Each of them took the time to say their goodbyes and give us their condolences and sympathies. My mother, Firn, was different during this period of time. Her normal cold exterior had changed the day after grandma died, she was showing a kindness that was unnatural to her, she was awkward to be around, but it was great seeing her happy after losing grandma. Aunt Snowdrift exceeded all of our expectations, when I went to see her after the princess's visit, she was singing and dancing in her flower shop, even during the memorial service she was happy.

To be honest I think we were all happy, happy that grandma had gone to a better place, a place to be happy among her friends and family. Toward the end of the service, Princess Celestia, alongside myself, Aunt Snowdrift and mother unveiled a statue dedicated to my late grandma in Cloudsdale Park, the statue depicted her at a young age with her cloak, standing and watching over our city. We applauded the unveiling but fell silent shortly after. A moment of silence held for the mare who gave us the stars. There was a plaque on the statue which read:

"Dedicated to the mare who gave Equestria a cherished gift, one we wish on every winter. It was her unique ability to show everypony the joys of winter that has made it the beloved season as we know it today. In the snow, and in our hearts she lives forever. Thank you, Snowdrop.

I wish... I hope... I dream... I pray. By the princesses' rule, light my way."

Even after everypony had gone home, mom, Aunt Snowdrift and I stayed and stared up at the statue, even when the cool wind had picked up and chilled against our legs. But the wind changed and it was suddenly warm, as if urging us to move on. I looked to my family, who smiled at me.

"We have one more thing to do..." my mother said.

She was the first to move away. She went back to her home while Aunt Snowdrift and I stayed and stared a little longer, then she too had flew home to prepare for the trip to Canterlot. I alone now stood in the park to admire my grandmother's statue, to reminisce and remember all the times we spent together, I had a sense of melancholy the likes of which I hadn't had for a very long time. The warm wind came again, but this time it was strong, it nudged me as if somepony had pushed me, I stumbled for a moment and looked around for what could have pushed me, then I realized it was grandma, telling me; "Get a move on." "Stop lazing about." All that stuff.

I smiled up at her statue and nodded before taking my leave. I didn't fly, I wasn’t in much of a rush, I walked home and grabbed my speech, what I would say at the funeral. As I was walking down the hall to the front door, I stopped and looked back at the table in the living room, right at grandma's notes. I stood there, in thought for a moment, then I decided to take them with me, so I may finish them, for her.

The following day was a hard one, harder than it was the day before. This day was grandma's funeral, her final farewell. Her grave stone was a smaller version of her statue back in Cloudsdale, a filly with her coat. Aunt Snowdrift wept as the ceremony took place, mother stood firm, though she could not hide her sadness, her eyes had softened and could be read easier than her body. I however was happy to see grandma be put to rest alongside grandpa, but I was also upset to see her go. When her urn had been lowered into the ground and covered by the soil, I stepped up to the podium beside the gigantic head stone, laid my speech in front of me, and cleared my throat; gathering the attention of friends, family and the class of Medly's school, the very same children that lead us on our small journey to Canterlot to begin with, their parents stood with them. I looked at each child, and saw Ember standing close by Medly, her smile had faded. I felt upset that she decided to attend her role model’s funeral. I looked down at my words and took a deep breath.

"Today is not a day of mourning, but a day to be thankful, thankful for all the things she gave us, all the wishes she allowed us to wish. She was as magical as a unicorn and had the ability to make others smile when they were down. She was a wise old girl, aged to perfection, she was almost immortal, that's what it seemed. I have so many fond memories of her, when I was a kid she would wrestle with me and Grandpa, she would draw little pictures with me, tuck me in when mother was away. Even in my teen years she'd give me advice on guys and... and she was just an amazing mare. When I became her career our relationship soured. She was... difficult, and stubborn. I once told her I hated her and ran away, and you know what she did? She made me soup and waited for me to come home. When I did I found her asleep on at the table, that soup was good though."

I smiled a little and sniffled, remembering grandma... for all she was great and wonderful.

"I miss her... I'm sure everypony here does too. Her gift is her legacy. Ponies have almost forgotten the magic within these stars which were created in the likeness of those of Princess Luna, and they are as magical as those. Snowdrop wanted ponies to make wishes on her stars, so that everypony could look forward to winter, and love it for what it is. We take these snowflakes for granted now, but they are wonderful, and filled with the only magic no unicorn could ever create... Love."

As I finished my speech, the snow began to fall, the last snowfall of the longest winter under the princess's rule since the one hundredth spring sunrise. From that day forward wishes were being made every winter, and each wish was granted in many different ways. My wish was to live a happy life with a family I gained not long after. Mother, Aunt Snowdrift and I each moved on from grandma's passing in different ways. Mother went on to become a teacher of star makers and students alike. Aunt Snowdrift opened up that flower shop in Canterlot, it was there she grew Snowdrops in remembrance of her. As for me, I married a certain royal guard. Six Streak and I had three children together. However we had to compromise when it came to living together. Unicorns can't exactly walk on clouds like my daughter and I can.

As for her notes... I finished them. As heartbreaking as it was to relive her passing, I wrote of grandma's time in hospital, and her death. But nevertheless, I finished it. After some encouraging from Six Streak, I published it. The Autobiography was a huge success. Princess Celestia bought a copy, I even heard she built a special room to remember grandma, I've only seen it once though. Big glass windows with her image, her cutie mark, the first true snowfall in Equestria. And a vase, kept cool by a spell of ice, I never saw inside though.

I suppose that was for the best, everypony was happy in the era of peace that followed her passing. It was peace that lasted years after my own passing. Our family grew, it grew to the point where almost every pegasus could trace their heritage back to Grandma Snowdrop. With each snowfall, the ponies of Equestria would slowly forget how the snow flake came to be, except to those who chose to remember.

~~~

Luna stood before the snow-covered head stone of Snowdrop in the middle of the Royal Canterlot Cemetery. Her gaze was locked onto the statue’s eyes as if searching for a hint of life, they wanted to look into Snowdrop’s eyes again, they longed to do so, but they could not, and it hurt. The wind blew Luna's mane about, the aura that usually surrounded it and made it flow did not spark, did not move. Her mane was natural, and not overflowing with magic. Luna's eyes were sad, heavy with grief. Princess Celestia stood by the Cemetery gates, a chariot for two waiting close by. The Princess of the Sun wore a scarf that flowed in the wind, while Luna wore nothing but her usual attire.

Celestia was frowning, she watched as her sister mourned for Snowdrop silently. Luna bowed her head to the statue, eyes closed, sitting straight with royalty as a lone tear ran down her cheek.

"Luna..!" Celestia called from the entrance.

Luna reopened her eyes and blinked, she looked back at Celestia with a questioning look. Luna's face had grief written all over it. Clearly she wanted to be left alone if only for a few more moments. Though she would not show it, she was highly volatile. Celestia could see this however.

"It is getting cold out. Please, let us return to the castle, you need your rest."

Luna turned her head back to face the statue. "Let us be, sister, we would like a moment to be with thy friend. I have something to say... one last thing..."

"Okay... but please, do not be long." Celestia slowly turned away from the entrance and returned to the chariot where she waited for her sister.

Luna took a deep breath and exhaled out; her breath was as visible as morning mist. She looked up at the statue, searching for the right words to say.

"I hope you can hear me, my friend... It's been so long hasn't it? I missed your birthday... your Hearth’s Warmings... All of it, I missed all of it and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..."

Luna sniffled and took a deep breath, finding calm. She removed her hoof from her royal shoe and placed her bare hoof on the cheek of the head stone.

"Thank you, my friend. For everything you gave and every wish you never knew came true..." Luna closed her eyes tightly and shed a tear. "...Goodbye..."

Luna's hoof fell from the statue and was placed back into the shoe. She stood up and turned slowly away from the grave, and began her slow walk back to the chariot. A gust of wind blew into Luna's face, forcing her eyes to close and her head to turn. When the wind stopped, she felt a presence, she opened her eyes and looked back at the grave. She frowned and closed her eyes once again and started her walk again only to gasp in surprise.

Her eyes wide with astonishment, she turned her head and body around quickly to see Snowdrop, as young as she was when she first met Luna standing in front of her grave. The filly gave a sweet smile toward Luna and blinked.

"Goodbye, Luna..." The filly gave Luna her biggest, happiest and brightest smile yet before vanishing with the wind, becoming snow that was taken to the sky above.

Luna stared, warm tears trickling down her face and falling from her cheeks. "Goodbye... Snowdrop..." she said in reply.

Luna turned back and continued her walk towards the chariot where Celestia waited, oblivious to a familiar snowflake slowly falling down and landing on the tip of a snowdrop which grew in front of the grave with a twinkle. The flower bent over with the snowflake resting firmly on it, as more stars twinkled quietly.

=====================================================

Comments ( 7 )

Loved the story, it was sad but also extremely beautiful and the ending was very well done.
Good work.

SO SAD, But SO SO BEAUTIFUL I COULDN"T STOP CRY FOR THE LAST TWO CHAPTERS

going back over this, a snowdrop story set during her teenage ages sounds awesome.

Extremely good work.
A very good story that manages to really hit you in the feels.
Well done. :pinkiesmile:

The titles quite fitting.

I honestly like this story from showing how Snowdrop grew as a character and how she kinda acting like Granny Smith from present day.

I also love how you made the snow feel as magical as the original video featuring this character came from. Ignoring the song Let It Go of course!

7093140
I might actually do this...

Firn acts a lot like a certain lavender unicorn who will be born some 500 or more years later.

Actually, if we consider how many generations passed over 1000 years, it's likely that most if not all modern ponies share a little bit of connection to this remarkable mare.

In any case this was a touching story.


The curious nerd part of me was pondering on the description of Snowdrop's illness, and I might have a few ideas. For starters her sudden bouts of snappishness might be a sign of alzheimers or similar. Her breathing problems and paleness along with the curious "webbing" might indicate a cancer of some kind or another pulmonary disease like pulmonary fibrosis or asbestosis.

Login or register to comment