• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 1,633 Views, 19 Comments

One Last Snowfall - Chaos Phantasm



Snowdrop, at the ripe old age of ninety seven, spends her final days in the company of her family as she visits Princess Celestia and Canterlot one last time. Spreading her wisdom and lamenting over her dearest friend.

  • ...
1
 19
 1,633

04: One Last Snowfall.

Snowdrop's last days

Preread and edited by

=====================================================

Chapter 4

One Last Snowfall

===============

Cold winds blew through the trees of Canterlot, with warmer winds signaling the coming season. The winds blew through Cloudsdale, bringing great warmth to the pegasi. Firn did not feel this warmth, she felt only cold, there was a sense of dread looming over her. She was standing in the middle of the main room of the Weather Factory, watching the learners make stars when a letter appeared in a flash of light. Firn covered her eyes when the light shone, every pegasus in the room turning to see what the source of the illumination was. Firn removed her right wing from her face and saw the roll of parchment floating there with a gold aura around it. Cautiously, she took the letter and opened it to see what it said; the contents of the letter shocked Firn to her very core. She dropped it in fear and worry.

"Ms. Firn, are you okay?" asked Cloud Climber.

Firn stood in shock, shaking as if cold. She shook her head and took a deep breath. "I-I need to go to Canterlot... Skydancer, you're in charge while I'm gone, keep to the schedule..."

Firn turned and hurried out of the room, running as fast as she could in distress. She entered the foyer, passing the counter where a pegasus welcomed visitors and pushed open the door of the factory with her hooves. Once outside, Firn could sense even clearer than before that something was very wrong. Unwilling to waste time with carriages, the pegasus took to the air and flew to Canterlot with immense speed.

Firn wasn't the only one to get a letter, Snowdrift also received the same letter from Skylight. Snowdrift's very being was filled with worry. She quickly went to her husband and asked him to look after the children.

"Mother's unwell, I must go... Please look after them. I will be back soon." She kissed her husband’s cheek, and said goodbye to her children before running for the door and taking flight, heading in the same direction as Firn: to Canterlot.

It took only a few minutes for Firn to arrive in the old city. She was minutes ahead of Snowdrift, though this mattered not. Firn flew to Canterlot hospital at the top of a cliff as fast as her wings could carry her. Skylight sat in the waiting room of the hospital, her head lowered to face the floor. She was tense, she flexed her wings as a way to cope with it. The beeping of a heart beat monitor rung in her ears and reminded her of what was happening with her beloved grandmother.

Firn entered the hospital and looked around the room to see Skylight sitting in despair, facing the floor. The sixty-five year old mare sighed at the sight of her daughter, seeing her as upset as she was, was hard. Firn approached Skylight, stopping when the younger cream colored pegasus looked up to her.

"I'm sorry mother... I'm so sorry... I-I failed..." Skylight's eyes were filled with self-loathing and shame, her cheeks wet from her tears.

Firn frowned at Skylight, her face was not of contempt, disappointment nor anger. Skylight bolted from her chair and threw herself into a hug with her mother. Firn wrapped her wings around Skylight, resting her head over the younger mare's neck, her eyes closed tightly.

"It'll be alright, Skylight. Mother is a strong old girl, it is very hard to put her down," Firn said to comfort Skylight as best she could.

Skylight sobbed, burying her face in her mother’s chest to hide her tears, her sadness. A doctor emerged from the room Snowdrop was staying in and came down the hall from where the room was. He stopped in the doorway and looked over at Firn and Skylight. Firn knew that the doctor was inviting them in to see the elderly pegasus who laid on a bed inside. She removed her wings and patted Skylight’s back.

"Come on; mother's waiting."

Skylight hesitated to move. Eventually she forced herself to do so. She slowly pulled away from Firn and approached corridor, her mother following close behind. Skylight walked down the long hall, the doctor beside her. When they arrived, Skylight entered the room slowly. She stopped in the doorway upon seeing Snowdrop on the bed. A mask covered her mouth and nose, a long tube connected the mask to some canisters of air at the bedside, and a device of a magical nature hooked up to Snowdrop’s arm by a thin cable showed her heart beat as wavy lines. Skylight had never seen such a large device before, neither had anypony before them.

Skylight approached the bed and moved around so she was on Snowdrop’s left side. Firn entered the room next. She saw her mother and paused; her reaction had been cushioned by her attempts to remain as calm as possible, but deep down she wasn't.

"Oh mother... what has happened to you..?" She approached the bed slowly, glancing at the magic construct for a moment before turning back to her mother.

Snowdrop’s blind eyes opened slightly. She blinked and opened them fully, and then groaned and tried getting up, only for Skylight and Firn to urge her to lay down.

"Grandma... please don't move..."

"Don't move? Why? Where am I?" The elder asked in confusion.

"You're in the hospital, mother. In Canterlot," Firn said in a quiet voice.

Snowdrop breathed steadily with the mask on. "C-Canterlot? Oh... I remember now... the children..."

The three mares could suddenly hear hooves rushing up the corridor. Firn and Skylight turned their heads in the direction of the door to see Snowdrift rush in, her eyes fixating on Snowdrop in an instant.

"Mom… Are you okay?!" Snowdrift ran into the room, pushing past Firn, who groaned unpleasantly.

Snowdrop nodded slowly. "I'm alright for now, dear... I'm not out just yet."

Firn and Skylight smiled quite happily at Snowdrop’s words, Snowdrift also smiled just as happily. But their smiles lasted for a short time, the doctor came into the room with bad news.

"Excuse me, who here is the caretaker?"

Skylight came around so she was in front of the doctor. "I am."

"Might we speak in the hall? It's about your grandmother..." The doctor spoke with an apologetic tone.

"If you're going to talk about my mother, I want to hear it," Firn said sternly.

"So do I!" exclaimed Snowdrift.

"No, mother shouldn't be left alone," said Firn with an almost demanding voice.

"Will you stop treating me like a child, Firn! She's my mother too, I have a right to hear what the doctor has to say!" Snowdrift argued.

"I'll stay... You two go out and speak with the doctor, I'll stay with grandma," Skylight said calmly.

Firn sighed in irritation. "Let’s get this over with..."

Snowdrift frowned whilst glancing at Firn, Skylight, then Snowdrop. She lowered her head and followed Firn while she left the room to speak with the doctor, closing the door behind her. Skylight sighed and shook her head, she turned around and went back over to Snowdrops side. The old mare looked upset, she was facing downward, her ears twitching to the sound of the voices from behind the door, voices Skylight could barely hear.

Snowdrop’s lips formed a smile, she closed her eyes contently and breathed a happy sigh. "Well, I suppose it won't be long."

Snowdrop's voice had gotten slightly croaky, her pale complexion turning white slowly. Skylight frowned at the elderly mare and looked down, kicking at the carpet with her front left hoof. Snowdrop got comfortable in her bed and sighed, her joints aching all over and her body feeling cold.

"It's so cold... even with my coat on, it's cold..."

"Your body temperature is dropping.. that's why..." Skylight looked down.

"I know, sweetie..."

The hospital room doors opened and in stepped Firn and Snowdrift, both of them were dark under the eyes, their faces grim. Skylight saw their faces and knew that this was news she would barely be able to stomach.

"W-Well? What's wrong?" Skylight asked in an unsure tone.

The doctor stepped in after; Firn and Snowdrift couldn't utter a word. The doctor sighed as he stood in front of Skylight, the cream-colored mare, watching the stallion before her, his head lowered before lifting it to speak.

"Your grandmother is very ill. Her lungs suffer from a web like disease that's spread all over. We've never seen this before."

"She probably caught it by going outside at night in the cold weather..." Skylight said with a tremble in her voice.

Firn looked at Skylight, then at Snowdrop almost in fury. Skylight noticed Firn's angry look and bit her lip in guilt.

Snowdrop felt her face for the oxygen mask and removed it. When she did, she started chuckling, and that chuckle became a laugh. Firn, Snowdrift and Skylight looked at Snowdrop, who seemed to be quite happy and cheerful.

"So, that's it? I'm pleased to know that; that's how I will pass..." She coughed. "I'm still without fear."

The doctor simply looked at Snowdrop and closed his eyes. "You sound as if you're at peace."

"I am." Snowdrop turned her head slightly in his direction. "For the first time in fifteen years, I am at peace with myself, knowing that I'm... that I'll be joining my dear one soon, and passing my legacy onto my descendants."

Firn opened her mouth to speak out against this, fear in her eyes at the concept of losing another parent, only to be silenced by Snowdrift who put her wing up to her elder sister’s mouth and shook her head.

"There's still some time left, Lady Snowdrop. You have a day left at least," the doctor said with a heavy heart.

"A d-day t-to be with my family..." She started wheezing with each breath now. "That's enough." She continued to smile brightly.

Skylight came around to Snowdrop’s right and used her wing to get the mask back on despite the elder’s protests. Skylight could not bear the sound of her breathing like that, it was almost a nightmare, intensified by Firn's cold looks and the building guilt that bubbled from within. Skylight glanced up at Firn who looked ready to shout, and she quickly lowered her gaze to the floor, unable to look at the mare who put her in charge of caring for Snowdrop.

The doctor spoke briefly with Firn, who struggled to keep her calm. It was evident to Snowdrift and Skylight that the sixty five year old was struggling with blaming Skylight for being lax, or to dismiss this as nature. Regardless of which, Firn knew that Skylight was never truly at fault, nobody was. Snowdrift came over to Skylight while Firn spoke with the doctor, their voices so quiet a fox could barely hear it. Snowdrop's ears twitched in reaction to the voices which were as audible as slight whispers. Skylight looked at her aunt who sat down beside her and placed a hoof over Snowdrop’s. The old mare hardly reacted, though her blind eyes turned in the direction of the two. She had stopped smiling, but quietly it returned.

"Tomorrow will mark the eighty-seventh year since I gifted my stars. One hundred and eighty seven years under the princesses rule..."

Firn's and the doctor's voices got louder. loud enough be properly heard. They still spoke softly however. The doctor took his leave while Firn sighed deeply and glanced over at Skylight. The light cream pegasus knew that Firn wanted to talk. She looked at Snowdrift and lowered her head, she stood up and made her way outside the room, Firn following close by. Snowdrift sat in the room and sighed, keeping her mother company.

~~~

Skylight sat in the corridor, her head lowered, fighting back tears so as not to show weakness. Firn was not much different, she too had her head low and hanging. Firn fought back tears of her own so she didn't look weak in front of Skylight. Both mares had their ears folded down, both sitting across one another.

"...It's not your fault..." Firn finally broke the silence. "It was bound to happen sooner or later... please don't blame your..."

"I failed..." Skylight said softly. "... She wouldn't... She wouldn't be sick if I had been more careful... more watchful..."

Firn shook her head. "You didn't fail... You did your job well... for the past seven years you took care of her... You didn't fail."

"Spare me the pretenses, mother... You and I both know that deep down you want to blame me... accuse me of causing this... "you had one job Skylight, now she's sick..."" Skylight said, imitating Firn toward the end.

Firn stood silent, staring at Skylight as if she had seen her thoughts. Shock, surprise and regret filled Firn's every being. She blinked and turned her head to her left in regretful shame. Tears streaked down Skylight's cheeks, she grit her teeth and looked at Firn furiously.

"That's what you want, isn't it?! To accuse me of this! For failing to look after her! I failed!!" Skylight shook, her voice trembled with sorrow.

"You're not wrong... It's true, I want to blame you for this... blame you for her illness, blame you for being unable to do anything for her while she lays there... But I can't..."

Skylight's anger reached a breaking point before the end of Firn's words. Slowly her face relaxed as her mother continued. Firn shed tears which were warm and plenty. They streaked down her cheeks and dripped from the edges of her jaw onto the floor below.

"I'm an awful mother to want to blame you for this... for something out of everypony's control... In truth, I want to blame you so I don't... S-So I don't..." Firn closed her eyes and sunk lower. "...So I don't have to be reminded that this.. this is life! I want to blame you so I won't have to blame the reality that is what it is..! There is a void there left behind by my father when he passed away fifteen years ago... mother has been a part of my life since I was born; I am not ready to lose her!! Not yet!!"

Firn sobbed where she was while reality sunk in, it pierced her heart like an arrow shot with the speed of the sun’s light. Skylight approached her mother who had gone her entire life with everypony around her believing she had a heart of stone. Skylight got down to her mother’s current height and hugged her tightly, both mares sharing their grief in what was a rare moment of bonding between the mother and daughter.

Snowdrop's ears flattened on her head slowly as Firn and Skylights argument had ended. She closed her eyes, breathing in the oxygen slowly, the mask that covered her muzzle fogging up as she took each soft breath. Snowdrift could hear the yelling and was silent, she too felt emotional and reached out to Snowdrop for some comfort. She stretched her right wing out to touch Snowdrop’s left wing. The elder mare noticed the touch of feathers on her old wings and chuckled slightly.

"Fifty-eight years old, and still you reach out like a filly. I'm not fussed, I'm happy knowing that you haven't lost your childish ways, while Firn became hardened and dutiful. How is your flower shop, dear?" Snowdrop asked to start a conversation.

Snowdrift looked up to her frail mother and forced a smile. "It's doing well... The Rosemary's are our top selling flowers... The customers love them for their ability to withstand the cold."

"That's nice, darling..." Snowdrop’s voice had started to grow slightly quiet.

"I-I had hoped to move here, to Canterlot, so I may open a flower shop here." Snowdrift sounded as if she was struggling to sound cheery, for Snowdrop and herself.

Snowdrop turned her head in Snowdrift’s direction and removed the oxygen mask. "You are upset, aren't you?"

Snowdrift shuddered. "I wish you could see me right now, mom... I don't exactly look very happy, or cheerful... Right now I'm not anything like your little girl, you're little bumble bee..." Snowdrift had started to tear up, and unlike Skylight and Firn in the hall, she started sobbing.

Snowdrift covered her face with her wings and tried to quieten her sobbing. Snowdrop's ears perked up and she smiled. She moved her left wing down and laid it to rest across her daughter’s back.

"You, Firn and Skylight... the three of you are so precious to me. We have our little fallouts, our arguments, and our differences... When I'm away, I'm not gone."

Snowdrop moved her wing and pressed it against Snowdrifts chest. "I am here... Always..."

Snowdrift looked at where Snowdrop had pressed her wing, the heart. "You'll always be in my heart..."

Snowdrop nodded. "Always, my child..." She started taking deep breaths and laid back.

"Mom.. your oxygen..." Snowdrift frowned.

Snowdrop shook her head. "I do not wish... to prolong the inevitable... That oxygen should go... to somepony who needs it. I don't need it..."

Snowdrift looked at the tanks and mask and tried to protest but found herself unable to. "This... You are halving your life as it is... You could survive until tomorrow with this.. without it you're..."

"A vegetable? Maybe... I do not wish to suffer a long drawn out passing..." Snowdrop suddenly smiled as wide as she could. "Snowdrift... is it snowing?"

Snowdrift looked out the window to see a little snowfall. "Y-Yes... why?" She turned back to the old mare, who moved to get comfortable.

"Please, open the window..."

"But..." Snowdrift started, only to be cut off.

"Please.. trust me..!" Snowdrop felt her eye lids getting heavy, the magic heart beat monitor beeped very softly as the wavy lines grew fewer and fewer.

Snowdrift nodded and got up slowly. She approached the window, glancing back at Snowdrop then to the window of glass and wood. The middle-aged pegasus flipped a hatch and lifted the window with her wings. A cool gust of wind blew a lone snow flake into the room, which floated over to Snowdrop. As quickly as she opened it, Snowdrift closed the window and turned back quickly to see her mother laying still. Snowdrift began to fear the worst and slowly approached the bed, shaking while she did so.

The snow flake floated down to Snowdrop, the pale, old mare licked her dry lips and took a large breath, and softly spoke the words, "I wish, I hope, I dream, I pray, I could have just a little time to be with my family..."

And as Snowdrop finished her sentence, the snowflake came to rest on her forehead and melt. The waves on the heart beat monitor started to rise larger, but it was still slow and steady, it was as it was when Snowdrop had arrived in the hospital. No longer did she need the oxygen, for now she had time enough to enjoy her daughters’ company. Snowdrift looked at the monitor in surprise, she glanced back at the window to see the snow had stopped, before turning to look back at Snowdrop.

"Turn the oxygen off... please..." she asked softly.

Snowdrift looked unsure at first but in the end conceded. She approached the tanks and twisted a valve at the top, halting its flow just as Skylight and Firn walked in.

"Snowdrift?!" Cried out Firn in horror.

"What are you doing, Aunt Snowdrift?!" Skylight questioned.

Snowdrift looked at the two and gave a smile. "Mom asked me to turn it off..." Her voice continued to shake.

"She needs that, you fool! I don't care if she asked you, you should have..!"

"She used a star to give her more time, please do not raise your voice at me...." Snowdrift cowered whilst cutting Firn off.

Skylight looked at the monitor to see it was as it was when Snowdrop arrived. She knew then for sure that what Snowdrift said was true and smiled and looked over at Snowdrop with happiness. Snowdrop laid in the bed still and asleep. She breathed just fine and when Firn noticed this she did not know whether to stay skeptical or believe her younger sister. Regardless of whatever she believed, Snowdrop had bought herself more time, to tell a few more stories. Snowdrop’s sleep was peaceful. Skylight, Firn and Snowdrift had stepped out for a moment to get some food and a drink.

"My friend... your journey has been long… and I have long dreaded this day, I wish to be beside you... I wish it so much it hurts... but alas I cannot, and it burns... Snowdrop..."

Snowdrop opened her eyes and awoke from a dream. She could barely see anything, the beeping of the magic monitor made barely a sound that could bounce off of objects. The voice from her dream echoed in her mind, its familiarity was unmistakable, she knew this voice and closed her eyes as she whispered one name... "Luna..."

Beside her there was a presence, one of royalty and benevolence. Snowdrop reopened her eyes and let out a soft sigh.

"You came, Celestia..."

The princess smiled. "I did. I felt that I had to... At the same time I felt it was imperative that I be by your side."

"I'm happy that you are. What time is it, princess? Is the moon out this night?"

Celestia shook her head. "Night has not fallen yet, though the hour draws near. I will need to return to the castle so I may lower the sun and raise the moon. The time is five PM. I will leave shortly."

Snowdrop nodded slightly. "I understand..."

Six Streak sat nearby. "I just thought I'd stop by as well, Lady Snowdrop."

"Six Streak..." she said with a warming smile.

"If my father were still alive, I am certain he would be here for you," Six Streak said in a different tone than that of his guard one.

Snowdrop closed her tired eyes. "I thank you, Six Streak."

Six Streak nodded to Snowdrop. Suddenly, the doors of the room opened and Firn, Skylight and Snowdrift entered. The three of them bowed to the princess out of habit upon their notice of her presence. However she simply smiled and waved off their show of respect, insisting that they did not need to bow.

"You came to see grandma Snowdrop?" asked Skylight.

Celestia nodded. "I did. A dream asked that I do, well, It's better described as a memory. I'm doing somepony a favor, but at the same time, I'm here of my own free will. While Snowdrop and I have not seen each other for a great many years until yesterday, I still regard her as one of my closest friends."

Snowdrop listened to them contently, she felt happy that Celestia thought of her that way. Firn and Snowdrift listened to the princess's words eagerly. Snowdrop took a deep breath and let it out, blinked, and turned her head toward the window as if listening out for somepony. While Firn and Snowdrift conversed with the patient Princess Celestia, Skylight approached Six Streak and smiled. The stallion smiled in turn and greeted Skylight just as she greeted him, both of them speaking at the same time much to their amusement. They spoke together for a while, Skylight giggled quite a lot during their conversation. This giggling alerted Snowdrop, who took interest in what was happening.

The voices of Firn, Snowdrift and Celestia allowed there to be enough noise for Snowdrop to mentally see what was happening with Skylight and Six Streak. The unicorn stallion and pegasus mare laughed together at one another's jokes, much to Snowdrop’s joy. Though as much as she wanted to say something, she did not, instead she recalled memories from a time long since past, many years back to when she was just entering her teens.

"You know, I don't care what anypony else says, blind or not, I think you are the most beautiful pegasus in all of Cloudsdale," a colt said with a smile in Snowdrop’s memory.

Snowdrop recalled her first conversations with the colt, the jokes he told and his silly acts. He was goofy, lovable and kind, not like the rest of her class.

"I'm in your class you know, Snowdrop. I sit in the back row three seats behind Cumulo Nimbus."

"What's your name?" a younger Snowdrop asked this funny, goofy little pony.

The colt smiled and adjusted his red colored headband. "My name is Wind Waker."

Suddenly, Snowdrop started to move. Everypony in the room turned their attention tothe elder, who faced Princess Celestia. The Princess blinked at Snowdrop.

"Are you feeling well, Snowdrop?"

Snowdrop closed her eyes and sighed shakily. "I have a request, princess... I'd like to go back to Cloudsdale..."

Firn jumped at this. "Absolutely not! You cannot leave the hospital, mother. You'll never be able to make the trip, not in your condition."

Celestia saw sadness creep onto Snowdrop's face. The princess glanced down at the floor for but a moment, before turning to look back at the elderly mare with an idea.

"I can teleport us to the location of your desire, Snowdrop. But only for a short time."

Snowdrop perked up at this. "I-I'd like to go back to Ms. Windith's school for foals. I'd very much like to walk among the desks, one last time."

Celestia smiled. "Everypony stand back."

Everypony in the room did as they were told, all except Skylight. As Celestia's horn started to glow; Skylight dashed to the princess and was close enough to disappear with her and Snowdrop in a flash of light. In a moments notice, Snowdrop, Skylight and Celestia were standing in the classroom of Snowdrop’s childhood school. Memories rushed back to Snowdrop as she took a step forward, and wandered around the class room.

"I can hear them… as if it were just yesterday."

Celestia glanced at Skylight and smiled, urging her to walk with her grandmother. She was not angry, nor was she surprised that she had followed. Skylight looked up at the princess, then to Snowdrop, to whom she approached. Snowdrop felt the desks and chairs with her wings, her eyes closed tightly as she remembered.

"I can remember it, Skylight. I remember who sat at these desks right beside me. I remember I sat at the desk just before this one." She moved her wing forward to touch her old desk, her wing aching as she did.

"I can also remember Ms. Windith, her voice so clear and formal, addressing us every day while she wrote words I could not read on the chalk board. Cirrus and Cumulo used to sit over there..."

Snowdrop reopened her blind eyes and pointed a hoof in the direction of Cirrus and Cumulo's desks. Skylight glanced around the room, a small smile forming on her face.

"This was my school too. It makes you wish you were a filly again, doesn't it?" Skylight sighed contently.

Snowdrop's ears flattened down on her head. "I'm ready to go back now..."

Celestia nodded. "Okay, Snowdrop."

The princess approached the two mares and cast the spell. In only a few small moments, the three of them disappeared in a bright flash of light.

~~~

Snowdrift, Firn and Skylight laid on mattresses in the corners of the hospital room. Celestia and Six Streak had left earlier, the time was eight PM, and the room was lit by a lone candle on Snowdrop's left bedside table. The little flame flickered and danced about on the wick which kept it lit, the wax slowly melting as time ticked by. Snowdrift was staring up at a pot of flowers that rested on the bedside table on Snowdrop’s right. Firn read a book while Snowdrop did her best to finish the last five pages of the final book written by Cumulo Nimbus.

Skylight watched Snowdrop, staring almost. This had not gone unnoticed by the blind mare, who could easily tell when somebody was staring. Snowdrop turned the page slowly and started on the fourth last page, the magic of her wish slowly coming to its end.

"Is there something you wish to ask, Skylight?"

Skylight opened her mouth to say something but rethought her words before speaking. "How did... How did you get the name 'Lady' Snowdrop?"

Firn and Snowdrift looked at Skylight before glancing at one another and sharing a smile, then going back to what they were doing. Snowdrop chuckled to herself, coughing just a little and turning her head slightly in Skylight’s direction.

"Well, I didn't earn the title of "Lady" until I attended the Grand Galloping Gala when I was... I was.. um... F-Firn c-could you remind me how old I was when I went to the Gala..?"

Firn smiled. "Twenty six, mother."

"O-Oh yes, twenty six. I was twenty six at the time, and so was my partner, Wind Waker."

Skylight brightened up. "Grandpa."

Snowdrop nodded. "That's right. Your grandfather. He got me this dress which he described as ‘Fit for a princess.’ Of course, I felt so embarrassed to be called a princess, I brushed it off and told him that was not so, but he continued to insist that it was true. After a minute of arguing I conceded and from then on, I was his princess, and he was my prince. We went to the Gala via carriage, he wore an outfit which I swear he had been paying off for weeks since we got the invitation."

Firn and Snowdrift giggled to themselves, covering their mouth with their wings, they wore large smiles on their faces.

"How did you figure that out?" Skylight asked.

Snowdrop chuckled. "The silly stallion let it slip when he spilled his punch. ‘I spent weeks paying off this suit.’" Snowdrop laughed.

"I bet that was really funny," said Skylight.

"It was, I couldn't help but burst out in laughter when I heard those words. I heard the entire ball room join in the laughter. I wouldn't be surprised if his cheeks went red. But regardless, he and I showed a level of courtesy and etiquette like no other. Mares commented on my dress and admired the fabric. My mane was brushed straight and curled at the bottom. And in no time at all, everypony started addressing him and I as Sir Wind Waker, and Lady Snowdrop."

Skylight's eyes sparkled brightly at this. "You were just my age when you went."

Snowdrop nodded and started coughing. She covered her mouth with her wing, which hurt when it was moved. When the coughing ceased, she folded it back up and sighed.

"I think we should rest now," said Firn.

Skylight looked at Firn and pouted. "But it's not even that late, and I want to know more about grandpa..."

Snowdrop casually read her book while Skylight and Firn spoke together, finishing three pages and starting the last. She felt along the page with her wing, feeling the braille with her wing to the end. When she reached the final words of the page, she seemed to shed tears. She closed the book slowly and held it close.

"Oh, Cumulo..." She sighed.

Firn and Skylight were still talking. Skylight looked back at Snowdrop as she was putting the book beside the flowers on her right bedside table.

"Grandma..." Skylight spoke softly.

Snowdrop turned back slowly to Skylight’s direction. "Yes dear?"

"Could you tell me some more about grandpa?" Skylight had a pleading look in her eyes which Snowdrop could not see. But the old mare could feel how much she wanted to know and gladly smiled.

"Well, I wrote extensively about him, over the time I've been writing my notes. But very well, I will tell you about him."

Snowdrift and Firn fell very silent for this. Skylight was silent also, eager to listen.

"Originally, when I started school, I had no idea he even existed. I went through school without even realizing who he was. I had heard his name, heard his voice, but none of that mattered to me, and I never seemed to matter to him, especially when I needed his help. When I turned thirteen, I went for a walk in the Cloudsdale memorial park, it was early spring. Cumulo and I had barely gotten along and that day she thought it would be funny to call me names. "Ugly," "White Eyes," "Snow-blind," and "Ice breath.""

"That's awful..." Skylight commented.

Snowdrop nodded with a frown. "It was... But my sadness was short lived... Next thing I heard was this irritating voice cutting through Cumulo and Cirrus's laughter. He stepped in front of me and defended me in his odd sort of way. There wasn't a thing he'd do that wasn't goofy or crazy. If I recall correctly, he told them, "Leave this maiden alone thou vagabonds, or thou shalt be smote where thee stands.""

Skylight giggled hopelessly and grinned like an idiot. Snowdrop couldn't help but join her in her short bout of laughter.

"It was quite an interesting thing to say, and to say it in such an old fashion much like Luna made it all the more confusing. Cumulo scoffed and wandered off with Cirrus. I myself tried to walk away only to be followed by this colt who seemed to run as fast as the wind blew. Eventually I settled for talking to him, I had no idea who he was at the time since we had never spoken before. He told me jokes and made me laugh and smile. He made me feel good about my eyes, he said that regardless of their color, they were beautiful, they are beautiful."

"He was quite the gentlecolt, wasn't he mom?" asked Snowdrift.

Snowdrop nodded. "Indeed he was. After a while I asked his name, ‘Wind Waker’ he said, and I never forgot his name. We dated for a very long time, he was there for me when Celestia had announced Luna's banishment, I was just fourteen when I heard the news. You know how he and I married, so I'll skip the details there." Snowdrop snickered.

"He was an amazing father too, Skylight. He would cheer me up when I was down, he'd let me ride on his back when I was still a beady eyed baby. He was the only one who could break my shell and make me... feel.." Firn smiled fondly at the memory of her father,

"I loved playing jokes with him. His personality rubbed off on me so much I'm like the spitting image of him, especially when it comes to being happy and goofy," Snowdrift said with just as much fondness.

Snowdrop started frowning, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Then he passed away, suddenly and quietly fifteen years ago."

Firn turned her head away and laid it down on the pillow, unwilling to listen to what was about to be said.

"...H-How..?" Skylight asked with much reluctance.

Snowdrop's voice started to tremble. "He... He and I were together in the kitchen at our house back in Cloudsdale. I was washing the dishes when in the middle of reciting our wedding vows, for old times sake... he just stopped all of a sudden and ... and...." Snowdrop’s eyes grew hazy and tears fell.

"It's okay, Grandma... You need not say anymore..." The light cream pegasus frowned.

Snowdrop started coughing again until Snowdrift gave the elder her puffer which helped her to regain some breath, and a glass of water which she helped Snowdrop drink.

"I was there..." said Firn all of a sudden.

Skylight glanced over to her mother curiously.

"I was there that day... I watched him collapse... he passed away instantly..."

"M-Mother I..." Skylight's words were cut short.

"Don't... don't bother..." The sixty five year old curled up on her bed, and let sleep take her.

Snowdrift sighed and looked toward Skylight. "I think it's best if we turned in now..." she said softly.

Skylight closed her eyes and nodded slowly. She turned away from Snowdrop’s hospital bed and climbed under the blankets provided by the doctors when the mattresses were brought, and fell asleep. Snowdrift and Snowdrop joined her not long after.

~~~

Moonlight streamed through the windows of the hospital and into Snowdrop’s room. The light was warm on the old mare's skin, it was welcoming, longing. A lone voice called Snowdrop's name on the wind, a voice that was soft and lonely. Snowdrop awoke to the sound of this voice and carefully lifted herself from the bed and turned her head to face the window. She paused for a moment to figure out what this warm light was. The voice called again, and this time she knew what it was.

The old mare moved her bed sheets aside and quietly moved off the bed, being careful not to awake Skylight or the others. She donned her grey cloak adorned with patterns that resembled her cutie mark and swirls of the wind. Silently and gently she stepped toward the window, stopping just in front of it to feel for the hatch with her aching wings. She felt a wedge like switch at the top of the opening frame and with great ease, she quietly flicked it to the right, unlocking the window which she opened with her wings, lifting it just enough for her to climb through.

She was as silent as could be when she climbed through. She carefully climbed down from the window sill and onto the snowy ground which was cool beneath her hooves. The clouds above had moved away to allow the moon to shine this night, the image of the mare in the moon, visible for all to see. Snow fell from the almost cloudless sky to the ground below. A cool breeze blew past Snowdrop, who ignored it as she approached the cliff, stopping at the ledge and moving her head upward where she basked in Luna's calming light.

"I wish you were here. To say goodbye..."

The branches of trees swayed in the wind, leaves and snow flying around as the wind blew. Snowdrop felt the breeze and chuckled to herself, coughing before she finished.

"Well, I've had a good run... Haven't I Luna? I don't know if you can hear me... way up there among the stars. But I'm happy, I've had many bumps in the road but... I'm happy. And even as I sleep, I will still be so happy, for everypony good of heart, loyal, honest, generous and kind, who spread laughter and friendship, for all the ages to come. Do not weep for me Luna, for I suffer no more, I am at peace. I will go to where Wind Waker, my mother and friends have gone. And when you come back... there will be one more wish to grant. And I want you to grant that wish for me..."

Snowdrop’s voice grew soft, and hoarse, and soft again. She could barely stand as it was and her heart beat monitor of magical essence had started to beat a little faster, and a little slower. Snowdrop closed her eyes and made a wish, a wish on the moon...

"I wish for you, Princess Luna, whom I hold in my heart as thy dearest friend, to release the first star, for the first winter of your return."

Snowdrop reopened her eyes and smiled gently up at the bright sphere of light that dominated the sky. When she could feel her strength waning, she sighed and snickered.

"I guess I better head back... Don't want to miss my farewell, do we?"

Quietly and silently she turned around and proceeded back to her hospital room. Nopony would have suspected she was out that night. A wind blew, loud and with grief as the image of the mare in the moon stared down at the world, keeping its occupant sealed inside the sphere. Snowdrop closed the window and climbed back into her bed, her heart beat monitor still quite attached, its pulse slowing and becoming smaller, the power of her wish finally reaching its end.

~~~

The following day was one of grief, sorrow and loss. Snowdrop’s condition worsened overnight, she continually refused the oxygen the doctors had provided her with, and was edging closer to her long rest. Skylight, Firn and Snowdrift, all three of whom had their hearts in their throats, stood around the bed, waiting for the inevitable. It was agonizing, Snowdrift was struggling to contain her tears. Firn was taking deep breaths, as though she were angry and unable to cope with the situation. Skylight was silent, her eyes heavy with grief. She stood beside Snowdrop, on her left.

"You're tense... All three of you... I-I can tell you are fighting, struggling to hold back for my sake. You don't need to hold back, though you may wish to. It only..." She took a short breath. "...It only makes it worse.... I know, I've been there..."

Snowdrift had her wings to her mouth, a few tears escaping. Snowdrop's ears reacted suddenly to the arrival of Princess Celestia, who stood in the door way, her eyes fixated on the elderly mare.

"How do you feel, Snowdrop?" The princess asked in a gentle voice.

Snowdrop closed her eyes, snuggling into the pillow. "Cold... I feel cold... But... But I'm not afraid. Once when I was young, dying frightened me... Now that I'm older, It's peaceful... like drifting off to sleep..." Her voice carried, it was soft and gentle, though it would grow quiet like she was drowsy.

Skylight sniffled and breathed uneasily. "W-What about your notes? Your autobiography... It's unfinished?"

Snowdrop's wing came to caress Skylight's cheek. Snowdrop used it to wipe Skylight's tears. Skylight started to sob.

"Do not cry, Skylight.... we all have our end... there's nothing to be afraid of... I really did enjoy having you around the past eight years, though... Despite our arguments... O-Our disagreements... I never stopped caring about you... I looked out for you, as you looked out for me...."

Skylight sniffled and forced a smile. "L-Like when you left the bowl of soup for me when I came home that one night... after we got mad at each other and I said... I-I hated you.... Remember?"

"...I remember..." She took a long deep breath and let it out. "I remember..." It was getting hard to speak.

Snowdrop's already pale eyes started to dim, they grew foggy and hazy, blurred to the point they had grayed. Skylight felt Snowdrop’s wing fall from her cheek and fall to the floor slowly. The pulse on the magical monitor beginning to slowly and beep less. There was hardly any pulse left.

"....I remember... all of our special moments together.... with each of you..."

Images of her life flashed by in Snowdrop’s mind, all of them, every moment passing by at an indeterminable speed. She felt slight panic, as though she had second thoughts about passing on and leaving those she cared about, it frightened her. Suddenly Snowdrop felt the presence of others, Cumulo Nimbus and Cirrus sat side by side in the corner of the room by the door, both were younger, as young as they were during Snowdrop’s school years, Ms. Windith stood close by, she wore a warm, kind smile, while Primrose sat beside her elderly daughter, she too retaining her youthful appearance. The spirit stroked Snowdrop’s cheek with her wing, calming the elderly Pegasus who smiled and blinked, a sense of warmth sweeping over her. Suddenly she cleared her throat and started to sing, though she was quiet, everypony could still hear her.

“Small little filly,
Lost in the snow,
Your cries go unanswered
in this rain of frozen white.

Lost little filly,
your home waits for you.
Find your way home,
through this field of frozen white.

A light guides your way,
through snow and through ice.
A voice calls your name,
on the wind it calls aloud.

Lost little filly
your home waits for you.
You climb to your door
And now, you’re back home.”

The heart beat monitor pulsed once more then started to flat line. Skylight, Firn and Snowdrift looked at it, tears forming slowly as they looked back to Snowdrop. The elderly mare’s lips formed a calm, peaceful smile, her eyes closing slowly on their own while she passed. Skylight burst into tears, burying her face beside her grandmother and screamed in despair, her grief rivaled only by her aunt and mother. Both sisters fell to the floor in utter grief. Firn bared her teeth and gritted them; tears streaked down her cheeks and dripped to the floor, she was full of emotions, a mix of anger which bordered on rage, and intense grief, topped only by her sense and feeling of loss, the void even larger than it ever had been.

Snowdrift was in hysterics; she held her head between her hooves and screamed almost as loudly as Skylight. Snowdrift’s tears were like rain, and they fell as such. Princess Celestia stared toward Snowdrop for a while before turning slowly away and leaving the family to grieve. The princess was shaken up, disturbed by the passing, as peaceful as it may have been. As she walked she stumbled, more than once, her breathing was shaky and uneven. Celestia stopped halfway through the corridor and rested against the wall and sobbed quietly, for herself, and for Luna. Then at last, the final Snowfall of winter came, but this snow was not the doing of the weather team, it was the tears of another.

=====================================================