• Published 18th Mar 2015
  • 8,597 Views, 136 Comments

The Twilight Citadel - Pyrestrike



A new Kingdom has risen in the mysterious Antarctic South. It is the last safe-haven for the ponies of Equestria and the only shelter against the Changeling forces. The Question is though: Will they even open their gates?

  • ...
29
 136
 8,597

Lamentation (Fixed)

"Rainbow Dash! Can ya see anything?!"

Rainbow Dash was struggling to keep flight as the icy wind blew against her face and even though she wore flight goggles she could see almost nothing but the white snow and mountains. She shook her head as she thought she felt icicles hanging from her nose and descended to the ground.

"Nope. I didn't see anything A.J. I doubt we'll ever find something around here. The storm is too thick for me to see anything about a foot away."

"Well keep searching, I saw something up here and I'm not lying about it. If we find somewhere safe from those damned bugs then maybe we can raise our families safely for a bit."

"Applejack, I know you want what's best for your family. So do I, but in order for us to do that we have to watch them and see that they grow into the best ponies that they can be. We can't go on these trips anymore, the Changelings have already taken Equestria, but I have a feeling that they won't try to expand further without much consequence."

Applejack sighed and sat down on a nearby rock and took off her stetson. She shook off the snow that was on it and put it back on her head while staring out into the tundra.

"Don't ya ever get tired of running though? I've seen what those things do to ponies once they catch them, and it ain't pretty."

"As long as my family and friends are safe then I'll run a thousand miles for you guys."

"Yeah, but I wish we should've believed Twilight all those years ago. We could have stopped this entire thing from happening and instead we let that bug outwit us, and now here we are. When Twilight was sentenced to exile I just stood there and watched."

Canterlot Castle: 16 Years ago

"Please Princess you've got to believe me! Cadence isn't Cadence!"

Princess Celestia frowned and turned to her former student as she was locked in a magic-proof cell. She paced about the dungeon as she contemplated what to do with the lavender mare now. Applejack and Spike were watching as she pierced the soul of the poor unicorn with her gaze.

"I'm sorry Twilight, this is your doing. You are the one who kept accusing her of being evil without any solid proof whatsoever. And by doing so you have caused chaos and turmoil in the castle thanks to your antics."

"But Princess, the mind-control spell she had been using, her eyes, the horn aura, she's not the Cadence I knew before!"

"I WOULD HAVE BELIEVED YOU, IF YOU HADN'T TRIED TO ASSAULT HER WITH YOUR MAGIC!!!"

The room shook as the Princess used her Royal Canterlot Voice and nearly blasted the eardrums of the ponies inside the dungeon.

The Princess regained her composure and saw Twilight with her head down in regret.

"Twilight Sparkle, under Canterlot law you have assaulted a royal, caused multiple property damages to the castle, and nearly killed a member of the Royal Guard. The punishment for this would be the death sentence, but since your friends persuaded me so you shall instead be cast into exile, never to return and to never associate yourself with any of Equestria's affairs.

Twilight gasped as she heard the words come from the princess' mouth and started panicking as she saw her charging her horn for the spell to send her away.

"W-What! Please Princess, I'm sorry for not going to you first instead of carrying out my own plans just please don't send me to exile! All my family and friends are here! Please I beg you!"

"I'm sorry, you brought this upon yourself my student."

"W-Wait! Please! Applejack, please help me!"

"I-I'm sorry Twilight, it's for yer own good." she said.

"Spike?" Twilight whimpered hopefully.

Spike went up to the bars of her cell and held her hoof with tears in his eyes. He then stepped back and nodded to the Princess.

"I'm sorry Twilight."

"No! Please! No! Spike! Princess! APPLEJACK!!!"


"Applejack! Applejack!"

The cowpony immediately got out of her trance and looked around. She was still sitting on the rock from earlier and the snowstorm seemed to have settled down after her memory.

"Applejack are you okay? You kind of just blanked-out after you sat on that rock for a few seconds."

"I'm fine, just a bad memory that's all. Let's head back to camp, I'm sure the others are probably worried about us."

"Hey, I know we could have stopped this if we believed her but the past is in the past and the future is coming. It's best we get ready for it now."

"Those are probably the wisest words I have ever heard from ya Dash."

"I guess I realized that joining the Wonderbolts was just a silly dream, and that I should focus on important things. Besides, I already got a squadron of my own to take care of now."

Both of the mares shared a chuckle and started trudging through the frozen tundra. Rainbow Dash thought she had saw something but ignored it as the wind blew in her face once more. White snow had gathered on their foreheads once they got to the mouth of a cave. They walked in and shook themselves free of the cold blanket while taking their scarves and goggles off.

"There you two are! I've been trying to search the entire camp for any signs of you both for the last 5 hours!"

Rarity had galloped up to them and poked the aforementioned mares with her hoof. She panted as she regained her composure and tried to find words to say but was too tired to speak any longer and lowered her head in exaustion. After a period of panting she raised her head and glared at the two again.

"How the buck did you get the idea into your head that you could wander off like that in the middle of a bucking snowstorm without telling the rest of us first!"

"Sorry Rarity, we just saw something in the distance and we thought we should check it out."

"Blah, blah, blah. You always have these excuses for your antics, you have a family to take care of for crying out loud!

"Hey! We went out there because we thought there was trouble, don't you think we should try to at least defend ourselves instead of running all the time!" Before the three were about to throw punches a guard came up to the trio with a worried look on his face and interrupted the fight.

"Excuse me Elements, but we found somepony unconscious near the entrance to the hideout."

"Is it one of ours?" Rainbow asked.

"The face doesn't seem familiar to me ma'am." the guard replied.

"Crap. It may be a changeling scout playing possum with us. Use extreme caution and subdue it and seal off the entrance. Am I clear?"

"Yes ma'am, but what shall we do if it isn't a spy?"

"Then take him or her into the infirmary tent and ask Fluttershy to treat the pony with caution."

The guard nodded and gestured to his comrades to the front of the cave entrance while the 3 mares watched in anxiousness of the situation. The guards picked up the pony and laid it on a stretcher and brought it inside the cave. The guards dusted off some of the snow off the pony and gasped at the sight. He immediately galloped to the Elements and stopped with his eyes shrunken to the size of pinpricks.

You three may want to see this, and trust me this may shock you."

The guard escorted them to the unconscious pony and cleared more of the snow off of it's body. The three gasped and Rarity fainted as the image of Twilight's cutie mark was revealed, emblazoned on the suit of armor that the pony was wearing.

"H-How is this possible? She was exiled, I saw her gone in a flash."

"It beats me Applejack, but this pony isn't Twilight so why does he have a suit of armor with her cutie mark on it?

The pony started to wake up and Rainbow Dash and Applejack stepped back as he groaned in pain. The pony tried to get up but was to weak to handle the weight of the armor he was wearing and collapsed.

"I guess he'll have to tell us that himself then."