• Published 8th Sep 2015
  • 4,352 Views, 1,265 Comments

The Velveteen Mask - Crystal Wishes



Everypony knows her as a cute, bubbly mare with a penchant for playful mischief, but is that just a mask she wears? Who really is Velvet Step?

  • ...
31
 1,265
 4,352

Changing the Face Of

The Phial and Filly Alchemist Supply was the best place to shop for mare care products. It had all sorts of concoctions to improve the quality of a pony's coat, mane, and tail, from adding volume to reducing curls. That last part was what primarily kept Velvet a return customer.

Velvet took her time navigating the labyrinth of aisles. She stopped at the bathing section to pick up Crystal's favorite rose-scented bath oils and her own preferred shampoo. Then, once she had the aisle to herself, she slipped the anti-curl potion into her shopping basket.

"Velvet?"

Was that Dawn's voice? Velvet turned her head and did her best to smile when she spotted the mare in the next aisle over, coming toward her. "Oh, hey, Dawn."

Act casual. It was totally normal for ponies to meet by happenstance at places like beauty stores. If Velvet acted like something was wrong, then Dawn would get worried. Besides, there wasn't anything wrong at all! It just felt weird to see Dawn at such an ordinary place. Really weird.

Dawn smiled brightly. "You shop here, too?"

Velvet shifted to look around and shrugged. "I think most mares shop here, honestly."

There was a brief falter in Dawn's smile. Crabapples!

Velvet cleared her throat. "So, what are you here for, huh? Getting some coat glitter for a big date?"

"Oh." Dawn's ears flicked as she looked down into her own basket. There were a few bottles that Velvet couldn't see well enough to know what they were, but she guessed from the way Dawn wasn't blushing that none of them were out of the ordinary.

And then Dawn blushed.

"Oh, my!" Velvet grinned and stepped closer to her. "Who's the lucky mare?"

Dawn quickly shook her head. "N-no! I don't—I don't have a date, I just—" She bit her lower lip and looked away. "I just—I thought—I was thinking of going out to the bar tonight, you know, like you do, to find somepony."

Velvet's grin fell. "What? To the bar?" Her brow furrowed. "But, Dawn, sweetie, I thought you wanted something more than that?"

"I don't know what I want," Dawn mumbled, then shook her head again. "A-Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't know if I'll do it."

Velvet hummed thoughtfully as she looked Dawn over. "Listen, Dawn. If you're not happy with what we've got—"

"No!" Dawn squeaked. She reached out and put a hoof on Velvet's, determination in her eyes. "That's not it at all! I just, I just wanted to try something new. I'm sorry, I won't do it, I promise."

Velvet couldn't help a small laugh, though she was suddenly filled with earnest concern for Dawn's well-being. The mare seriously needed to live a little! "Sweetie, you can do whatever you want! I don't care."

Dawn hesitated before withdrawing her hoof. "You don't?"

"Nope!"

After another moment of hesitation, careful consideration on her face, Dawn sighed. "Then... do you mind explaining how it works?"

Velvet nodded her head for Dawn to follow her as she started walking down the aisle. "How what works?"

"One—One night stands," Dawn whispered.

"Oh! Sure!" Velvet grinned and paused to look over a selection of different colors of hoof polish. "It's really simple. You go out, you find a pony you like, you flirt a little, and if they seem receptive, then you ask if they want to move things to their place. If they say yes, then you go have yourself a good time."

Dawn chewed on her lower lip and tried to look busy with a bottle of mane dye balanced on one hoof before she set it back down. "What if they say no?"

Velvet offered a light shrug. "It happens! You just have to move on."

"Oh." Dawn's ears drooped, followed by her head. "I-I don't know..."

Velvet glanced at her, sighed, and turned to face her. "Okay. Ask me out."

Dawn blinked a few times. "What?"

"Ask me out."

Dawn's gaze flickered about, as if seeking an explanation from the products that surrounded them, then said, "Er—uh, Velvet? Would you... like to go out?"

Velvet smiled. "No."

Dawn waited a moment before shuffling her hooves and asking, "What are we doing?"

Velvet's smile widened into a grin. "Proving that the world doesn't end if a pony tells you no."

"Oh." A small giggle escaped Dawn before her gentle but cheerful expression returned. "I guess you're right."

Velvet bumped their flanks together as she passed her, heading toward the counter. "Of course I'm right! Come on, let's check out and get some lunch. I'm hungry!" She looked over her shoulder and added in a quiet, teasing voice, "And maybe after that, we can practice your pick-up techniques back at your place."

That oh-so-cute blush returned to Dawn's face, but she smiled brightly and nodded. "Okay!"

---

Nightingale rested her hind leg on the barre and beamed at Velvet while they went through their stretches. "So your roommate's coltfriend actually proposed! That's so exciting! Have they set a date yet?"

"Nah, Crystal's all 'oh, but we just got engaged, it's too soon for that'." Velvet grunted as she sat in a perfect split, reaching her forelegs for her right hindhoof. "I thought that was the first thing ponies did when they got engaged!"

Nightingale shrugged. "I think everypony is different." She shifted into the next position but froze halfway through the movement. "Huh?" Her ears wiggled. "Hey, who's that cutie?"

"Who?" Velvet followed Nightingale's gaze and laughed at the sight of a royal guard pegasus standing in the doorway. "Oh, it's Tumbler!" She pushed herself up to stand on all fours and trotted toward him. "Hey, creep!"

Thunder Tumble's ears shot up as he turned his head to look at her. "Oh, Velvet, I—"

"What do you think you're doing?" Velvet shoved her face in his, putting on her best look of irritation. "Does the guard pay you to sleaze around, gawking at mares? This is a place of business, you know!"

Tumble took a step back, his wings tucking in close to his sides as if to make himself smaller—which, given how much bigger he was than her, was almost comical enough to crack her composure. Almost. "No, it's not that, I—"

Velvet rolled her eyes. "Oh, so when you're standing guard, you don't want to talk, but now you're all chatty colt?"

"It really isn't—"

"Sorry, Tumbler, but some of us are getting paid to work, not lech!" She waggled a hoof at him. "We have a lot of practice to do today. No time for you to pick up mares. Try a bar like a normal pony!"

Tumble stared at her with a muddled expression. His mouth hung agape until he snapped it shut. With a light snort, he turned around and made a quick getaway for the front door.

Velvet waited until he was out of earshot before she let out a cackle. "He is so much fun!"

Nightingale trotted up alongside her, eyes wide. "Did you just chase away a royal guard?"

"What? Oh, yeah, but it's okay. He's a friend. It's all in good fun!"

"But what if he was here on important business?" Nightingale furrowed her brow.

"Tumbler? Important business?" Velvet snickered, shaking her head. "No, if Tumbler was on important business, he wouldn't be so easy to chase off. He was probably just bored in between shifts or something."

Nightingale eyed her with clear skepticism before her expression shifted into some doe-eyed look of infatuation. "Sooo, he's a friend of yours?"

Velvet took a startled step back at the change in Nightingale's demeanor. "Uh, yeah?"

"Just friends?" Nightingale advanced on her.

Velvet frowned. "Yes, just friends! What about it?"

Nightingale hesitated, then wiggled her ears. "Can you hook me up a date with him?"

"What?" Velvet waved a hoof at her and started back toward where they had been stretching. "Oh, whatever! Sure, yeah, I'll ask him next time I see him. I don't think I've seen him with anypony special, so maybe he's single?" She shrugged.

"Ooh, I hope he is." Nightingale shook out her coat before sitting down. She tucked in one leg and stretched the other out, reaching to touch the extended hoof. "Speaking of special someponies, how are things going with you and Dawn?"

Velvet's ears pinned back. "We're not special someponies."

Nightingale inclined her head to look up at her with one brow raised.

"We're not," Velvet repeated, rolling her eyes. "And things are fine. In fact, I think she's finally taking my advice and going to shop around for a real special somepony."

"Wait, what? Really?" Nightingale shifted legs to stretch the other one before straightening up into a deep lunge. "I thought she was totally into you!"

Velvet finished her own stretches and rolled over onto her back to stare at the ceiling. "Nah, she knows the deal. She just hasn't stepped out of her comfort zone yet, is all."

Nightingale gave up with a shake of her head and a sigh.

"Is everypony ready?" the lighting director Lazuli Luminaire asked, stomping a hoof to call attention to herself. "We have a tight schedule today, so let's get started!"

The choreography for Canterella had been finalized, which meant it was time to practice while Lazuli watched to plan the lighting design for the performance. That also meant a whole day of not just working to be in sync with each other, but having to redo sections over and over until Lazuli had an idea for them. In short: it was going to be a very long day.

When the ballerinas started to either line up off to the sides or—in Nightingale and Velvet's case—stand on their marks for the first scene, something amiss became suddenly apparent.

Lazuli looked around. "Where's Perennial?"

"Now that you mention it, I haven't seen her today," Velvet mumbled, frowning. "Hard to miss her over-inflated ego."

"That's weird. I don't think Perennial has ever missed practice." Nightingale's ears drooped. "Do you think she's okay?"

"I saw her this morning when I got in," Lazuli put in. "She looked fine to me! She seemed like she was in good spirits, actually."

Velvet frowned. "Well, that's not a sign of the end of times or anything."

Nightingale swatted at Velvet, giggling.

"Well, I can fill in for her for now," Beryl Waltz chimed, looking over at Ocean Starlight. "And my understudy can fill in for me."

Ocean nodded enthusiastically. "I can! I definitely can!"

Lazuli clapped her hooves. "Then it looks like things are settled!" She sat down on a stool and picked up a notebook, flipping to about halfway in. Her expression grew serious as the professional in her kicked into action; they would have to demonstrate the choreography at least twice before she would even begin taking notes on a lighting design. "All right, let's do the initial run."

The first scene was easy enough. Beryl worked off to one side to sweep the floor and clean a mirror while Velvet and Nightingale sat at a table, playing a game of cards. Each move was exaggerated, as was much of the role the Stepsisters played in the ballet.

As Nightingale set down a card, she brought one hindhoof up in passé above the knee of the other leg, then switched. When Velvet placed her card over Nightingale's, she spread her legs and shifted her working hindhooves in fondu, back and forth a few times, then brought her knees together.

The music began to escalate and their hind legs remained together, balanced on the very tips of their hooves, slapping one card down over the other's in a heated battle of some game until Nightingale's cue came. She jumped upright, scattered the cards to end the game, and pranced to the center stage with a long scarf. While Velvet gathered up some of the cards and chased after her, Nightingale began her routine—right leg high développé, bring it down to swing the left leg back.

It was fun. Velvet felt alive. This was what she had been missing in ballet—the fun of it all. The thrill of movement and freedom, even if it was a choreographed routine! She didn't have to match the other corps dancers. She didn't have to shut off her mind to move by pure instinct and react to her fellow dancers. She just had to follow her own moves, her own steps, and enjoy every moment of it.

Nightingale broke down into a fit of giggles. "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry, can we start over?"

Lazuli blinked. "What? Why? What happened?"

Nightingale pointed at Velvet. "She looks too happy and it's completely messing me up!"

Lazuli's gaze snapped to Velvet and she wagged a hoof. "Velvet, there is no smiling in ballet!" After holding the serious look as long as she could, she cracked a smile. "No, but really, didn't you two audition for this together? I expected you two to be in perfect harmony."

Velvet huffed and tossed her mane as she dropped down onto all fours to wander back to the card table. "Excuse me for enjoying myself!"

"Okay, no, seriously, there's enjoying yourself, and then there's looking so happy you might cry." Nightingale flicked a wing to lightly slap Velvet's flank. "Does this mean that much to you?"

Before Velvet could respond, Beryl cleared her throat. "Ladies, ladies, some of us are trying to maintain a professional career here." She looked down her snouts at them, then burst into laughter. "Wow, how does she act like that all day? I can't even say it once!"

"Because she's full of salt and pepper and all things unsweet like you," Velvet teased.

Beryl laughed again and rose to her hind legs, grasping the broom in her forehooves. "Let's take it from the top."

---

"Let's take a break," Lazuli called, clapping her hooves. "I think I'm starting to get an idea. Why don't you all refresh with some water while I jot down some notes and we start back at the beginning?"

Velvet wiped her forehead with the back of her leg as she and the others walked over to where their bags were lined up against one wall. "I am exhausted."

Nightingale picked up Velvet's water bottle and tossed it to her. "Well, that's what happens when you get a bigger role! We're in like, a lot of the scenes!"

"Corps is hard, but this is grueling." Velvet slumped against the wall, pausing to chug as much water as it took until she didn't feel the fire in her veins as much, then gasped for air. "Maybe we should have just stayed where we belong!"

"And miss out on all the fun you were having on the first run-through? Never!" Nightingale settled down beside her. "Velvet, we're in a lot of scenes."

Velvet shot her a light glare. "Yeah, you already pointed that out after my muscles told me so."

"No, I mean..." Nightingale's wings quivered. "Roles like this. This is how ponies get noticed. What if there's a talent scout at one of the performances?"

Velvet paused as the idea settled on her with all the grace of a raging manticore. She blinked a few times when it finally sparked a rush of adrenaline. "Do you really think so?!"

Nightingale beamed. "Who knows! It could happen! I mean, it's happened before!"

Velvet opened her mouth to speak, but her gaze latched on to the scene behind Nightingale. A few of the ballerinas were looking out into the studio, ears alert. Like a stun spell making its way across the room, more and more of them noticed the initial group of frozen mares and followed suit, until finally Velvet did the same.

The clicking of hooves against the smooth floors resounded in the silence that held the room as Perennial walked toward them.

"I have great news, ladies." Perennial stopped to stand tall and proud, all attention falling on her.

Velvet's stomach suddenly twisted up in knots. There was no such thing as great news when it came from Perennial's mouth.

"We won't be continuing with the Canterella performance." Perennial smiled.

Hushed murmuring slithered through the crowd. Nightingale shot Velvet a confused look, and she returned it with unrestrained disdain. What the hay was going on?

"I had a talk with the board about the situation this company is facing." Perennial's ear flicked, but her light smile remained in place. "After we discussed the matter, they agreed that in order to move the company in the best direction—socially as well as financially—a change needed to be made."

One of Velvet's hooves tapped against the floor in a fit of nerves. Perennial was stalling. She was building up to a dramatic reveal, and it made Velvet all the more sick with anxiety.

Perennial's smile widened as she finally announced, "Going forward, we will be instead practicing to perfect our performance of Swan Lake for an encore tour across Equestria."

Author's Note:

If you are enjoying this story, please consider taking a look at Anzel and my's website QuillnBlade.com for extra content such as mini stories, an Ask Us form to submit questions, responses to said questions, and special rewards for the awesome folks who support our Patreon.