• Published 16th Mar 2015
  • 2,554 Views, 102 Comments

Stallions of Equestria: Adam's Apple - mr lovecolt



Adam moves in with the Apple Family to help with cider pressing season while his sister Amy goes on her honeymoon.

  • ...
27
 102
 2,554

Spa Date

Big Macintosh awoke to the sound of a rooster’s crow. As he rose from his slumber, he felt a patch of soft hay in his mouth. Must’ve fallen asleep in the barn again, he thought, before the unmistakable scent of lavender filled his nostrils. He nibbled delicately on the hay, wondering why this particular patch smelled the way it did. The stallion turned to move, but stopped when he felt a weight on his foreleg.

A small sigh rose through the air. Upon realizing that the sound did not come from him, Big Macintosh’s eyes shot open, only to find that he was snacking on a lock of hair. He spat it out and leaned his head back, where he noticed the now soaking wet hair had fallen down and landed unceremoniously on Adam’s face with a small plop.

“What the—” Big Macintosh jerked his legs back, and Adam rolled away.

He heard Adam squeak and saw his eyes dart open, the human’s pupils shrinking the moment they laid eyes on the now flustered stallion.

“Oh God,” Adam muttered.

The two scooted away from each other and sat up, still unable to tear themselves away from each other’s gaze. Adam reached up to wipe the sleep from his eyes, but when he felt the patch of wet hair, his eyes widened.

“Why is my hair wet?” Adam furrowed his brow. “And why is it sticky?”

Big Macintosh, still in shock, simply shook his head. “You fell asleep,” he finally managed to say. “On… me.”

“Granny Smith told me to get you,” Adam replied. “I… tried to wake you… but then you…”

Adam’s gaze fell to the floor.

“I guess I didn’t realize how tired I was.”

“I see.”

“At the risk of making this even more awkward,” Adam whispered, “you were really warm. And your leg was… soft?”

The way Adam phrased it, Big Macintosh could tell that the human wasn’t sure if he had just given the stallion a compliment. He looked around the barn, secretly hoping that the rooster would crow again to break the silence.

“We won’t speak of this to anyone?” Adam suggested.

“Eeyup.”

Big Macintosh got to his hooves and stretched his legs. When Adam tried to move his shoulders, a small cry left his lips.

“What’s wrong?” Big Macintosh asked, now fully awake.

“My arms,” Adam replied as he winced. “Let’s—ow—get inside.” He groaned as he got to his feet. “Before the rest of the family wakes up.”

Adam stumbled the moment he stood up. Big Macintosh ran to his side.

“Easy,” Big Macintosh said, letting Adam use his withers as a crutch. “Worked yourself too much.”

“I’m fine.” Adam said as he grabbed his satchel from where he had dropped it the night before.

“You ain’t fine!” Big Macintosh shouted.

The stallion walked behind Adam and tucked his head in between the human’s legs. He stepped forward and lifted his head, causing Adam to slide down his neck and onto his back. Adam yelped as he wobbled from side to side.

“Hold onto my neck,” Big Macintosh commanded, ignoring the blush on Adam’s face. “You’re goin’ into that house and gettin’ some rest.”

He waited, and when he finally felt Adam’s hands on his fur, he nodded and walked carefully to the barn door which had been left open all night. As he made his way to the farmhouse, he felt Adam’s head come to rest at the back of his neck.

“Didn’t mean to yell at you,” Big Macintosh continued. “Granny’s right, though. You and Amy are stubborn as mules.”

“Are you calling me a jackass?”

Though Big Macintosh couldn’t see him, he could still sense that Adam asked the question with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.

“Maybe I am, or maybe you’re just actin’ foalish.”

As they approached the house, they both smelled the aroma of eggs and cooked apples. Big Macintosh reached the porch, but before he opened the door, Adam slid off of him and got to his feet.

“Somebody’s awake,” Adam said. “It will already be awkward enough without them seeing you carry me like some sort of invalid.”

“Adam, I—” Big Macintosh stopped when he felt Adam’s hand touch his neck again.

“Please, let me do this,” Adam asked. “I promise I’ll rest today.”

Adam let go.

“Besides, what would they think if they saw you carrying me into the house after spending all night in the barn?”

Big Macintosh’s swallowed the lump in his throat and nodded his head furiously. Adam gave the stallion a gentle smile. Adam sighed and opened the door, his legs shaking as he made his way into the kitchen. Applejack stood at the stove, stirring a pot with a ladle using her mouth. She paused, her eyes slowly turning to the newcomers, and let go of the spoon before turning to face them.

“You’re walkin’ sorta funny there, Adam.”

Adam immediately facepalmed and Big Macintosh mimicked the motion with his hoof.

“Miss Applejack,” Adam replied, “I can promise you that—”

“I’ll handle this,” Big Macintosh said. “Adam’s body is just sore from the past few days.”

“Uh huh,” Applejack said as she raised an eyebrow.

“Just from moving heavy things,” Adam butted in. “I didn’t know about the cord, so I was just bending over a lot and—”

Applejack started to snicker.

“Not like that!” Adam wailed as he covered his face with his hands.

“It ain’t his fault,” Big Macintosh said, trying to salvage what was left of their dignity. “Just been workin’ him too hard in the barn is all.”

Applejack’s snicker turned into outright laughter. As the kettle on the stove began to whistle, she tried to keep her mouth from quivering as she lifted the hot container by the handle. The sound of approaching hooves was heard, and the three turned to the staircase just as Granny Smith made her way down the stairs, followed by Apple Bloom.

“What’s with all this hullabaloo?” Granny Smith asked.

“Adam, your ‘bout as red as my brother.”

“It’s nothing,” Adam replied as he cracked his knuckles.

“They just fell asleep in the barn,” Applejack said.

“I-I just didn’t realize how tired I was,” Adam replied.

“Since we’re all here,” Big Macintosh said, trying to gain control of the conversation. “Maybe we can go over how the barn is organized.”

“Can someone just do me one favor before we begin?” Adam begged with his hands still on his face.

“What’s that, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

Adam lowered his hands and looked right at the mare.

“May I please have some coffee?”

Once breakfast was finished, Applejack and Granny Smith began to put the dishes away. No wonder he’s so skinny, Applejack thought, who eats only one egg and one piece of bacon? When she turned back to the table, she saw Adam slowly massaging his shoulders, wincing in pain every moment or so. He reached forward and lifted the cup of coffee, his hands shaky.

“You all right there?” she asked.

“I’m fine,” Adam replied, turning his head away from Big Macintosh when the stallion gave him a stern look. “I mean, I will be fine once I get this figured out.”

“I can’t make heads or tails of this,” Granny Smith said, looking over Adam’s shoulder at the diagrams.

Adam took a sip of coffee and sighed. After taking a deep breath, he set the cup back down and leaned over the table. Applejack saw him glance over at the cup and move it to the right an inch before refocusing on the information in front of him.

“Okay,” Adam said as he reached for a pen he had removed from his satchel, “the barn is divided in half, with both sides containing the same apples, correct?”

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh replied.

“Each side contains five hundred barrels, and the rows are two barrels high, two barrels deep. That means there are one hundred twenty-five rows the length of the barn.”

“Ugh,” Apple Bloom said as she placed her hooves on top of her head. “Why am I havin’ to do math this early in the mornin’?”

“We’re almost there, Abby.” Adam reached out his arm to pet Apple Bloom’s mane, but he flinched and pulled it back when he felt a jab of pain in his arm. He began to write the names on the boxes in the diagram. “The first fifty rows are Gala Apples.”

“Best apples for the base of any good cider,” Granny Smith said as she hummed to herself.

“Then we have twenty rows of Golden Russets, fifteen rows of Golden Delicious—” Adam snickered as he continued writing. “Ten rows of Katy’s, and five of Pink Lady’s.”

“That’s mighty fine hoofwritin’ you got there, Adam,” Big Macintosh said.

“Anything worth making is worth making beautiful,” Adam replied, choosing not to correct the stallion’s term usage.

“So there’s fewer rows of each type of apple as you go on?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Not quite,” Adam said as he tapped the pen on the next few rows. “We then have ten rows of Porters, followed by seven rows of both Wagener and Northern Spy.” Adam took another sip of coffee.

“Didn’t Mister Rich request that cider to sell at Barnyard Bargains?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Eeyup,” Granny smith replied, “Don’t care too much for the combination myself, but he says there are ponies up in Canterlot who use it as a seasonal cider.” She cocked her head to the side. “Usually picks up the barrels at the end of the day.

“And then…” Adam glanced back down. “One row of Topaz?”

“I usually take that cart down to the Ponyville Retirement Village once we’re done,” Applejack said. “Not too strong, not too weak.”

“Okay, so that makes sense,” Adam said, biting his lip in thought. “Why are the Porters here?”

“That one a real hearty variety,” Granny Smith said. “Ain’t a best seller, though. We get requests mainly from that Rainbow Dash mare.” The old mare grinned. “But when she finally got to taste our cider, sure as shoot that one was her favorite.”

“More coffee, Adam?” Big Macintosh asked as he took Adam’s empty cup.

“Um...Yes, thank you,” Adam said softly.

Big Macintosh got up and retrieved a refill for Adam, who couldn’t help but notice the stallion’s tail swishing back and forth. With a new cup of coffee in hand, Adam returned to his work; neither he nor the stallion noticed the mares as they exchanged looks.

“I’m starting to get a picture here,” Adam said, going back to the earlier apples. “Is there a reason why these four rows equal to the same amount of rows of Gala?”

“Gala’s are the base of most our ciders,” Applejack replied. “Combine ‘em with Golden Russet and you get a real strong flavor. Most popular one we got.”

She reached out and gave Adam a small nudge. Adam smiled and tried to hide the pain, but when he turned away, he saw Big Macintosh edge closer.

“We take a few of those and I make a hard cider out of ‘em,” Big Macintosh replied.

“Like what Amy had at the reception?”

The ponies looked at one another and laughed. Adam glanced at each member of the Apple Family and turned back to his cup of coffee.

“S-sorry, sugarcube,” Applejack wheezed. “Ain’t none of y’all able to handle hard cider. What Amy gets is just slightly fermented.”

“Aren’t those the same thing?” he asked.

“My hard cider’s hundred-ninety proof,” Big Macintosh said proudly.

“That silly filly once took a swig of Big Mac’s hard cider while standing next to a lantern.” Granny Smith added with a laugh.

“Poor thing belched and sent a fireball through the barn ‘fore passin’ out.” Applejack said.

“That’s… absolutely terrifying.” Adam replied while holding his head in his hands.

“What was terrifyin’ was how she acted next mornin’,” Apple Bloom said as she leaped to her hind legs and threw her forelegs out. “Why are you ponies so loud? Roar!”

Apple Bloom bared her teeth and growled. The other ponies laughed hard, but Adam simply chuckled softly as he looked into his cup.

“So my sister and I are now part of a family of bootleggers?” Adam asked as he forced a smile.

Granny Smith leaned forward as though revealing a secret.

“Back when I was a filly,” she said, “daddy used to send a barrel all the way to the Griffon Kingdom. ‘Course, this was back ‘fore the Treaty of—”

“Granny Smith!” Applejack stopped the mare. “We ain’t gotta let Adam here know all our exploits!”

Now it was Adam’s turn to laugh. Granny Smith joined in, but Applejack and Big Macintosh simply looked at one another with concern.

“Did Great-Grandaddy break the law or somethin’?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Ain’t nothin’ to concern yourself with, Apple Bloom,” Applejack replied.

“I’ll let you guys know something,” Adam said, leaning in as well. “When my sister and I were younger, we took one of mom’s bottles out of the refrigerator and drank some of it.”

Big Macintosh’s eye widened when he realized that not even Amy had mentioned this story to any of them.

“What happened?” Applejack asked.

“Nothing,” Adam replied. “It turned out to be sparkling grape juice. But we made each other think we were drunk, so we were just spinning around and acting silly.”

“Wouldn’t you know if you were really drunk?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Luckily, that is something you won’t need to concern yourself with for quite a while, Abby,” Adam replied.

“But goin’ back, we got Golden Delicious and Katy’s,” Big Macintosh said, once again steering the conversation away from less wholesome topics. “Put ‘em with the Gala and you got yourself some mild cider blends.”

“And then the Pink Lady’s,” Applejack continued, “and they combine with the Gala to make our sweet cider.”

Adam stared at the diagram in front of him. As he listened to what each pony said regarding the apple and how they were used, his mind raced. Something about this layout sounds familiar, he thought.

“Okay,” Adam said, “we know that Amy said this was going to be an efficient system.” He interlocked his fingers and tapped his thumbs together. “What would she mean by that?”

“Far as I could tell, she ain’t got that much to worry ‘bout organizin’.” Applejack said. “You’ve seen her room.”

“Yes, unfortunately, I have.”

Adam rubbed the bridge of his nose as he thought about the disaster that was his sister’s living quarters. The only thing in there that had any semblance of order was—

Adam’s eyes shot open, and the ponies took a step back.

“You okay, Uncle Adam?”

Adam smiled.

“I need to show you all something to explain,” Adam said, but when he tried to move, the pain shot up his body. “Actually, I’ll meet you up there. I need to use the little colt’s room.”

The mares nodded and turned to leave, but Big Macintosh stayed behind.

“You need help gettin’ up there?” he asked.

“Oh don’t be such a worry wart,” Adam said with a laugh. “I am perfectly capable of walking up a staircase.”

Big Macintosh’s gaze fell and his eyes softened. Adam reached up and scratched Big Macintosh’s ear.

“But thank you for your concern,” he added. “I will be right up.”

Big Macintosh smiled and joined the rest of the family upstairs. As soon as he was out of earshot, Adam reached into his satchel and pulled out the vial.

“Last time,” Adam convinced himself. “Last time, and then I’ll give it a rest.”

Adam groaned as he made his way across the kitchen and down the hall. He glanced upstairs, frowned, and then entered bathroom.

“I hope he’s got this right,” Applejack said.

Granny Smith pulled open a drawer and pulled out some of Amy’s clothing.

“I hope so, too,” Granny Smith said as she set the clothes in a box. “The cider pressin’s tomorrow.”

Apple Bloom leaped onto a nearby chest and pulled back the blinds.

“Ain’t it ‘bout time for Pinkie to set up her tent in front of the stall?” she asked.

“Eeyup,” Big Macintosh replied as he entered the room.

“Where’s Adam?”

“He’ll be up soon.” Big Macintosh shook his head. “He don’t wanna let anypony know how sore he really is.”

“Colt’s gotta run outta steam soon,” Granny Smith said as she sat down on the bed. “But I’ll give him this—he’s outlasted Amy.”

“That poor girl was bedridden after the first day,” Applejack said.

“Maybe boy humans are stronger,” Apple Bloom suggested as she prepared to hop off of the chest. The filly glanced out the window once more and pointed towards the gate.

“Applejack, who are those ponies?”

Applejack trotted to the window and peered out. She could just make out their frames before they disappeared behind the hill once more.

“Huh,” she mumbled. “Must’ve gotten lost.”

“I swear I’ve seen ‘em before,” Apple Bloom said.

“Probably just comin‘ by to get in line early,” Applejack replied as she nudged her sister off of the chest.

“Adam must’ve been plum tuckered, though,” Granny Smith said. “I sent him to the barn to fetch Big Mac last night and I didn’t see him leave.”

Applejack snickered.

“Somethin’ funny?” Big Macintosh asked.

“Nope,” Applejack replied as she lowered her hat over her eyes for a moment. “But I am curious as to what happened.”

Big Macintosh felt the collective gaze of his family burn into his fur and he tucked his tail between his legs.

“Nothin’ happened,” Big Macintosh said. “I just woke up and he was there. Maybe the work and walkin’ ‘round town with Pokey tired him out.”

“That reminds me,” Granny Smith said. “Adam brought somethin’ back for you.”

Both Big Macintosh and Applejack quirked their heads towards their grandmother.

“One of them fancy dishes from that restaurant.” Granny Smith smiled. “Said he wanted to get you somethin’ to thank you, then he said somethin’ ‘bout a song, but I don’t think he meant for me to hear that part.” Granny Smith snickered. “And ponies say my hearin’ ain’t good.”

Big Macintosh turned an even darker shade of red when he saw the smile on Applejack’s and Apple Bloom’s muzzles. He turned to find out where Adam was, but the moment he did, he found that the human was already in the doorway.

“Okay, I bet you are all wondering why we’re in Amy’s room.”

“‘Cause you told us to come up here?” Apple Bloom asked.

Adam pushed out his hip and raised an eyebrow as the ponies in the room laughed.

“Anyway,” Adam continued as he shook his head at the filly. “We know that Amy used an organization system that made sense to her.” He pointed around the room. “Take a look around. How is her room organized?”

“It ain’t,” Applejack replied. “This room’s like Rarity’s inspiration room without the inspiration.”

“Oh, I’m going to borrow that one,” Adam replied. “Look at her closet.”

“I don’t see nothin’ special, sugarcube,” Applejack replied as she trotted into the closet. “Just a bunch of shirts and jeans, and a couple dresses in the back.”

“Exactly,” Adam replied. “She organized her closet to be efficient.” He joined her and pushed the clothing aside. “These are the clothes she always uses.” Adam pointed to the back. “She never wears the dresses.” He paused, waiting to see if Applejack got it.

“We use the Gala apples the most.”

The others turned to Big Macintosh, who stood before them with a hoof on his chin. Adam smiled brightly as he noticed the recognition in the stallion’s eyes.

“The first five rows are the most used,” Big Macintosh continued. “We mix Gala with the others—that’s why the Gala’s and the other four are both fifty. We sometimes get the Porters. The others are special order we make at the end of the day.”

“Puttin’ the apples you use most in front.” Applejack shook her head.

“Makes sense,” Granny Smith added.

“How come we always put ours in alphabetical order?” Apple Bloom asked.

“You know,” Adam suggested, “that sounds like it would be a great question for your next study session with Princess Twilight.”

Apple Bloom squealed and charged towards the door, only to have Big Macintosh hold out a leg to stop her.

“Not now,” he said. “You missed a day of school yesterday. Now you get ready so I can take you.”

Apple Bloom huffed and her ears drooped, but she still nodded her head and trudged to her room.

“Actually,” Adam said, “I could go with you two. I did hope to stop by Miss Rarity’s to see how she’s doing.”

“You sure that’s a good idea?” Granny Smith asked.

Big Macintosh, however, was more upfront with his opinion.

“Nope.”

Adam looked Big Macintosh in the eyes and smirked, but the stallion continued.

“You worked too hard.” He pointed to the bed. “You’re gonna stay in bed so you can recover.”

The two continued their stare-off for a few moments, with Big Macintosh giving the human a look similar to a determined parent and Adam giving the stallion a look of a stubborn colt. But as Big Macintosh’s stare grew stronger, Adam felt his cheeks burn. Big Macintosh noticed and then chuckled as he rubbed a foreleg against the other.

“If you wanna go, I’m takin’ you and Apple Bloom in the cart.”

Adam closed his eyes and shook his head.

“Deal,” he sighed.

Adam readjusted Apple Bloom’s bow for what had to have been the fourth time as they reached the schoolhouse.

“Uncle Adam, I’m fine,” Apple Bloom wailed as the cart came to a stop.

“But Abby,” Adam replied, “I want you to look more than fine. I want you to look perfect.”

Big Macintosh chuckled as Apple Bloom huffed and leaped off of the cart and galloped into the schoolyard, where Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were waiting for her.

“Sometimes I think you’re more like Miss Rarity than Amy,” Big Macintosh said.

“Oh hush, you,” Adam said as he leaned over the edge of the cart and reached out to flick the stallion’s ear.

“Though when he does things like that,” another voice said, “there are times when the resemblance to his sister is uncanny.”

Adam turned around and saw Rarity, who was currently wearing a large-brimmed sunhat.

“What a coincidence,” Adam said with a smile. “I was just coming into town to see you.”

“Howdy, Miss Rarity.” Big Macintosh said.

“Hello, Mister Macintosh,” Rarity replied as she glanced back at Adam and then the cart. “I didn’t know you had a side job as a carriage operator.”

Big Macintosh rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders.

“It seems I may have overdone it at Sweet Apple Acres, Miss Rarity.” Adam pouted. “But I did manage to solve the issue of my sister’s unidentified organization method.”

“Oh, how marvelous!” Rarity shouted as she reached up to give Adam a hug. “This calls for some well deserved relaxation at the spa.”

Big Macintosh watched as Adam’s eyes narrowed and his lips curved into a smile. As the human turned his gaze to Big Macintosh, he felt the urge to hide.

“You know who else has been working hard, Miss Rarity?”

As Rarity’s eyes turned to Big Macintosh, he changed his mind from the urge to hide into the need to gallop away.

“Nope,” He shouted.

“Oh, what a divine idea! If anypony deserves a much needed massage, it is you, Mister Macintosh.”

Big Macintosh shook his head for two reasons: one, to show how strongly he opposed the idea, and two, to hide the blush that threatened to appear on his cheeks.

“Please, Mister Macintosh?” Adam pleaded as he rest his head on the wall of the cart. “It’ll be my treat.”

With both Rarity and Adam giving the same pleading look, Big Macintosh felt his resolve waver and bend. He glanced over at Rarity, and when she nodded her head and nudged it towards Adam, the last of the resolve finally broke. Of course, Applejack would tell Miss Rarity, he thought. He lowered his head and sighed.

“Fine, but nothin’ fancy.”

Rarity squealed and leaped onto the cart just as the school bell began to ring. Big Macintosh raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything as he headed off to his new destination.

As he travelled through town, Big Macintosh saw a couple of ponies turn their heads when they saw the two passengers he carried, only to snicker amongst themselves as the human and the mare became engrossed in their own conversation.

“I love the hat, Miss Rarity.”

“Well, a chapeau is necessary on such an unusually bright day, which is why I am surprised you aren’t wearing protection, Mister Garnet. Your skin is almost as pale as my fur.” Big Macintosh heard Rarity huff. “You haven’t completely abandoned me to pursue the simple life, have you?”

Big Macintosh coughed loudly, but it went unheard as Adam started to laugh.

“Oh no, Miss Rarity. I remember the story you told me about a certain Trenderhoof.”

When Rarity gasped, Big Macintosh couldn’t help but laugh to himself as the mare made her indignation known.

“We must never speak of that incident, Mister Garnet.”

“What the name of that theme again?”

As the two began to bicker, Big Macintosh couldn’t help but smile as he continued on in a steady trot. At least Adam’s made a good friend, he thought. Applejack considers him family. He has tea with Miss Fluttershy. But then he thought of the others, who hadn’t always warmed up to him. Miss Dash don’t like how fussy he is… makes sense, since she don’t care much for Miss Rarity.

Big Macintosh reached a crossroads and stopped as a few carts passed in front of him. He shuddered when he realized that he was in front of Sugar Cube. Took a while for Adam to get used to Miss Pie, he thought, especially after he yelled at her for messing up his shirt when her welcome wagon went haywire—Miss Twilight didn’t like that much.

“Big Mac?”

Big Macintosh shook his head and turned around. Adam was staring at him with concern.

“Are you all right?” he asked. “The road is clear.”

The stallion blushed and continued on his way. He could see the Ponyville Spa in the distance. As he neared it, however, he hunched his shoulders over at the thought of ponies seeing him go into the establishment. His trot slowed to a simple walk.

“Are you sure you want to take care of all of us?” Rarity asked.

“Of course, Miss Rarity,” Adam replied. “You know my salary, and you know that I still have a lot of bits saved up from Princess Celestia’s settling in allowance.”

Big Macintosh heard Adam sigh and he couldn’t help but feel that the human was looking at him.

“Besides, it is important to let ponies know you appreciate them.”

“That’s right, Adam,” Rarity replied, though the stallion could sense that she was projecting the response to him. “It is important to let others know you appreciate them.”

Miss Rarity, Big Macintosh thought, you’re as subtle as your outfits.

The cart came to a stop in front of the spa. The moment Rarity lowered herself to the ground, the door swung open and two ponies appeared in the doorway with beaming smiles on their muzzles.

“Miss Rarity,” Aloe Vera said.

“Mister Garnet,” Lotus Blossom said.

“Hello, dears,” Adam and Rarity replied.

Big Macintosh unhitched himself from the cart and trotted to the back before Adam had a chance to get out. As Adam started to lift himself out, he flinched and reached his hand out to Big Macintosh. Adam hesitated for a moment, but when the stallion nodded his head, he set his hand down gently on Big Macintosh’s withers.

“I’m sorry,” Adam whispered once he was standing straight.

“Don’t be,” Big Macintosh replied. “Ain’t nothin’ wrong.

He offered Adam a smile, which the human returned, but Big Macintosh could tell it was forced. He didn’t call attention to it, however, and the two made their way into the spa, where Lotus Blossom stood holding bathrobes.

The first thing Big Macintosh noticed as he passed through the doorway was the music. They’re still using the recording of The Pony Tones, he thought, shaking his head. They continued inside, which was when the Spa Twins finally took notice of the third companion.

“And what is this?” Aloe Vera asked. “Will Mister Apple be joining you today?”

Big Macintosh ignored the conversation they were having and instead glanced over to a nearby tub, where he noticed a tray of freshly sliced cucumbers. He picked up a slice and began chewing on it absentmindedly as he looked around. At least they got snacks here, he thought. He looked down at a nearby tub that was built into the floor and grimaced when he saw what was in it. Ponies pay to sit in mud. As Big Macintosh turned back to the entrance, he caught the end of Adam’s conversation with the mares.

“—and nothing but the best for...”

Adam turned to the stallion and paused. Rarity looked over, as well, and blushed when she saw half of the cucumber slice still sticking out of Big Macintosh’s mouth. Aloe Vera and Lotus Blossom both covered their muzzles with their hooves and giggled. He turned back to Adam with a confused look, but when he saw the smile on Adam’s face, he relaxed. It was a gentle smile, but unlike the one outside, Big Macintosh could tell this one was real.

“Um, Mister Macintosh,” Rarity said as she pointed to her muzzle. “You have a bit of…”

The stallion sucked in the last piece of the cucumber and bit down on it.

“Girls,” Adam said as he draped a large bathrobe over his forearm, “I’m going to change, and then we can get started.”

Adam strode past Big Macintosh and disappeared into a hallway. Big Macintosh reached for another cucumber slice, but groaned when the tray was levitated above his head. He turned back and saw Rarity’s horn glowing.

“Mister Macintosh,” Rarity chided, “those aren’t snacks.”

“That don’t make sense.”

“Ugh!” Rarity groaned as she set the cucumbers aside. “You and that sister of yours are hopeless.” She levitated a bathrobe in front of him. “Now kindly remove your collar and put this on.”

Big Macintosh narrowed his eyes at the garment and shook his head.

“Nope.”

“Oh please?” Rarity begged, drawing out the last word. “Adam will think you look adorable in it.”

Big Macintosh clamped Rarity’s muzzle shut with his hooves.

“Not so loud,” he whispered. “I don’t want Adam hearin’ nothin’ like that.”

Rarity nodded. Big Macintosh slowly let go and shrunk back.

“Applejack told you?” he asked, his eyes widening as a smirk appeared on the mare’s now free muzzle.

“No,” she said with a wink. “You just did.”

Before Big Macintosh could retort, Aloe Vera approached them and pointed to the mud bath.

“You’re going to love this,” Rarity said as though she hadn’t just revealed the stallion’s secret. “Mud baths do wonders for the fur. It will make your coat look simply radiant.”

Big Macintosh eyed the tub warily, but began to remove his collar just the same. As he stepped in, he turned to Aloe, who nodded her head in encouragement.

“If it’s so good for you,” he said, “then why don’t Ah just roll around in it back home?”

“Because regular mud is dirty,” Rarity replied with complete conviction.

Big Macintosh blinked a couple of times as the mud rose to his fetlocks. He opened his mouth to speak, but was too dumbfounded to say anything. As he lowered his body further, he felt himself floating like an apple in a barrel. As the noises died down and the spa ponies trotted away, Big Macintosh heard the music drift in and out of his ears.

“Adam likes this song,” he said.

“I know he does, Mister Macintosh,” Rarity replied, waiting a moment before catching the stallion’s attention once more. “Before he returns, I would like to discuss the situation in which you find yourself.”

Big Macintosh groaned and closed his eyes, receiving a tut from the mare in response.

“Now don’t be like that,” Rarity chided. “I want to help you, actually. I think you could be good for him.”

Rarity laughed softly to herself and blushed.

“Honestly, had I known your feelings, I would have nudged Adam in your direction a while ago.” She closed her eyes and levitated two cucumber slices towards him. “But in order to help you, I need to know why you are so smitten with him.”

Big Macintosh lowered himself until his muzzle rest along the surface of the mud.

“Dunno,” he replied, feeling his cheeks burn when Rarity raised an eyebrow. He sighed. “He just seems so small. I like stallions, but sometimes I just like the idea of takin’ care of somepony.”

“Oh that simply will not do,” Rarity replied.

Big Macintosh lowered his muzzle into the mud and glared at the mare and grumbled, causing small bubbles to form on the surface.

“For one thing, Adam does not want to be seen as somepony to be taken care of. As his name suggests, he is much stronger than ponies give him credit for. And another thing...”

Rarity’s smile fell, and Big Macintosh saw the sadness in her eyes.

“The other day I—” She stopped herself. “Adam doesn’t want to be seen as ‘the human’. He just wants to be seen as Adam.”

Rarity bobbed her head to the music for a moment, and her smile returned.

“Garnets are a unique gemstone. They appear quite jagged and pointy from the outside, but any geologist worth her salt knows that what makes a garnet beautiful is not what is on the surface, but what is within.”

Big Macintosh reached out to grab the other cucumber slice, but Lotus Blossom trotted over and snatched them midair.

“We don’t want you to get mud in your eyes, Mister Apple,” she said as she prepared to gently place it over his other eye using her clean hoof.

“What’s takin’ Adam so long?” Big Macintosh asked.

“He’s just disrobing and putting on his trunks,” Lotus Blossom replied.

“Miss Rarity,” Aloe Vera said as she trotted over. “Remember the first time Mister Garnet came in? He said he was trying a new look.”

The mares shared a small laugh, and Big Macintosh looked at Rarity with his uncovered eye as he lifted his muzzle back out of the mud.

“Oh, sorry, Mister Macintosh,” Rarity said through her laugh. “We were just reminiscing about a peculiar human trait. As it turns out, the color of human fur can be different on certain parts of the body.”

“In some places, Mister Garnet has fur almost as red as yours.” Lotus Blossom added.

“Ain’t never seen red fur on him,” Big Macintosh replied as the other cucumber was placed over his eye. He thought about it for a moment, and then gulped nervously.

“Miss Rarity, don’t be tellin’ me things like that.”

The mares stopped giggling.

“Mister Macintosh,” he heard Rarity say, “I was referring to the time he tried to grow a beard.”

The stallion lowered his muzzle back into the mud, wishing desperately that he could disappear in it entirely. His ears twitched the moment he heard Adam’s feet gently pad into the room.

“Oh, you guys started without me,” he said.

Big Macintosh could hear the disappointment in Adam’s voice. The stallion lifted his head out once more.

“Don’t you worry, Mister Garnet,” Aloe Vera replied. “We were just helping Mister Apple settle in.”

“We’ll be back shortly, dear,” Rarity said.

“Where y’all goin’?” he asked with a trace of fear in his voice.

“Miss Rarity and I usually go into the sauna first before our massages,” Adam said.

Big Macintosh felt Adam’s hand brush his mane.

“We felt it best that you get the traditional package,” he continued. “When we’re done, your coat will be shiny, just like how an apple should be.”

Adam chuckled at his joke while Rarity simply sighed.

“If you were a pony, a comedy cutie mark would not be your future.”

“We’ll come check on you soon.” Aloe Vera said.

Big Macintosh heard Adam and the mares walk away. When everything was quiet again, he rest his head on the tile floor and thought about what Rarity told him. If Adam wants ponies to see who he is on the inside, he thought, then what does he see when he looks at me?

It was afternoon by the time the three friends left the spa. Adam was so relaxed, he didn’t even give a sarcastic reply when Big Macintosh pointed to the cart and forced him in. Rarity decided to walk with the stallion so that Adam could rest.

“Thank you, Miss Rarity,” Adam said guiltily. “It’s just you know how exhausted I get after a trip to the spa.”

“You hush,” Rarity replied as she levitated her hat to him. “And get some rest. I have perfect company with me, anyway.”

Rarity turned to Big Macintosh and winked at him. Adam leaned back and covered his face with the hat as Big Macintosh hitched himself to the cart. Within moments, the group was on their way to Carousel Boutique. With the time being what it was, none of them were surprised that most ponies were inside for lunch. The silence reigned, and within moments, the two ponies could hear the rhythmic breathing of the human coming from the cart.

“Adam was right, you know,” Rarity said quietly. “Your coat does shine now.”

“Eeyup.”

“Though am I correct in assuming that you do not intend to join us again?”

“Nope.”

“Hmm.”

A single cloud floated lazily in the sky until it came to rest in front of the sun. Big Macintosh watched as the shadows of buildings around them disappeared and the landscape grew grey. A warm breeze tussled the stallion’s mane. The only sounds besides Adam’s sigh-like breathing were Rarity’s hooves as they tapped along the road while Big Macintosh’s thundered.

“Even our hooves work in harmony,” Rarity said.

“Eeyup.”

“I had an… interesting… conversation with Adam during our massage while you finished in the sauna after your mud bath.” Rarity said.

“Oh?” Big Macintosh gulped and stopped the cart for just a moment. Behind him, he heard Adam groan slightly, and he shook his head and continued on. “‘Bout what?”

“You, actually.”

“Ah shouldn’t be havin’ to ask you ‘bout this.”

“Adam found out about the issue regarding Mister Order, and I am not speaking about the fine I received for the height of my establishment.”

Big Macintosh sighed and felt his pace speed up. As they passed Sugar Cube Corner, the stallion could just make out the top of Carousel Boutique.

“It was actually quite the peculiar experience,” Rarity continued. “Remember how he had earlier mentioned about paying for this spa date? And yes, this was a date, Mister Macintosh, believe me,” she added with an upheld hoof before Big Macintosh had the chance to reply.

The pair stopped at a crosswalk and waited for a mare to cross the street before they continued. As they passed by a row of trees, a gust of wind blew around them, and the sound of leaves as they cut one another sliced through the air.

“Adam nearly stormed out of the spa and went down to the bank so that he could—forgive my language—‘take care of that jackass’.”

Big Macintosh started to protest, but was once again cut off by Rarity’s hoof, which was now so clean that the stallion could see his reflection in it.

“I know what you’re going to say,” Rarity continued as they neared the boutique. “And I advised him that you wouldn’t have any of it.”

At last, they reached the steps of Carousel Boutique. Rarity brushed her hooves on the welcome mat and opened the door before turning back to Big Macintosh, who was about to grab Rarity’s hat with his teeth. She reached out and placed her hoof on the stallion’s withers, and when he turned back to her, she shook her head.

“It does make you think, though. Doesn’t it, Mister Macintosh?”

“Eeyup?”

“Don’t you find it odd that both of you and Mister Garnet want oh so much to take care of others, but recoil at the thought of others wanting to take care of you?”

The stallion felt himself shrink under Rarity’s appraising stare.

“I have nudged him in my own way, Mister Macintosh, but that is as far as I go.” She turned to the sleeping figure in the cart. “Sometimes, even I can’t get him to tell me how he feels about certain ponies. It took me an entire year to find out how he feels about himself.”

Big Macintosh tilted his head to the side, and when Rarity realized what she had just said, she gasped.

“Whatcha mean by that?” he asked.

“It’s not my story to tell,” Rarity replied too quickly. “I shouldn’t have even mentioned that much. What I want to say is that I learned my mistakes from the Trenderhoof incident.”

Big Macintosh turned and looked into the cart. Adam slept with his arms wrapped around his torso and his legs tucked up to his chest. The cloud above finally began to move once more, and all around them became bright. He felt a muzzle against his cheek and turned to see Rarity right next to him.

“You are a wonderful stallion, Mister Macintosh,” Rarity said as she backed away. “And you have a beautiful voice. So I suggest you use that voice. Tell him how you feel.”

“But what ‘bout—”

“Do not get yourself worried over what Mister Pierce thinks,” Rarity interrupted him. “We aren’t foals here. He’s a grown stallion, as is Mister Garnet.” She leaned over and pecked Big Macintosh on the cheek before heading into the boutique. “Thank you for joining us today.”

Big Macintosh rubbed his cheek as Rarity snickered and closed the door behind her. The stallion shook his head and turned towards Sweet Apple Acres, walking slowly so as not to wake his cargo.