• Published 8th Apr 2015
  • 252 Views, 2 Comments

Sweet symphonies - Storm Rival



An aspiring musician attempts to join the Canterlot Royal symphony Only thing is he's a complete underdog. after his initial audition He's accepted but how long will he stay?

  • ...
 2
 252

The Royal party

Chapter 2 the Royal party

The next day, I avoid the wubs, hoping not to venture down that anger filled road again. I instead, head to Sugarcube corner to partake in some sweets for my recent accomplishment. As I head in, I see nothing but smiles to welcome me in.

“Hey! Welcome to your super fun congratulations party!” I hear the energetic voice of none other than Pinkie Pie.

“Thanks Pinkie,” I say. “How did you know?”

“Oh, Lyra told me.”

“Well, uh, who else knows about this party?”

“Oh, I managed to invite the Royal Symphony.

“What!? How!?” I always knew that pinkie had the power to practically make parties happen, but I was completely flabbergasted that she invited the entire symphony.

Pinkie completely ignored my shock, continuing on in her usual carefree way.

“I had Twilight help me a little with this party.”

Of course, it was Twilight. Her recent ascension to an alicorn princess has really made her gain popularity, whether or not she wanted it.

I looked around and saw ponies and gryphons alike indulging in both cake and idle chitchat not really caring if the guest of honor, namely me, came or not. The place was decorated more to Twilight's standard rather that Pinkie's; but, I'm sure Pinkie at least insisted on the balloons.

I hear another voice behind me, “Oh, you’re the new inductee? You might remember me.” I turn my head and see the one who had helped me reach the top. She looked a lot like one of the spa sisters; her cote was blue and her mane a pinkish color. She was a bit off of the sister’s colors though; her blue cote had strands of silver and same on her hair. In general she had more of a yogurt tint to her color that the spa sisters didn't.

Oh, Hey, Diamond Sorbet! I didn't know you were in the symphony."

"What were you expecting when I tutored you?" she asked.

"I really wasn't expecting this at all." I replied

"Nopony ever suspects a Pinkie surprise!" Pinkie chimed in from the other half of sweets shop.

"Eeyup," I say back, My tenor voice not really making it so that I mimicked Big Mac's.

Sorbet laughed at my attempt.

"Welcome to Ponyville, I guess." I said

"Thanks, it is, after all, the symphony's thousandth anniversary; and besides of all the places they had to visit, this was the quaintest place they chose."

"Well, nice to hear a good review of it." Pinkie jumped in, somewhat stealing what I was going to say.

"Well," I say brushing off what Pinkie blurted.

"It’s very inspiring for those who would want to write music about the farm land, the, more less, low key get togethers. A songwriter could go crazy over a place like this." Diamond said back to pinkie.

"I could see that," Pinkie said. "I can also see that a lot of song writers would also like a shot at, oh, I don't know, getting the elements of harmony in a piece."

"Ooh girl, I like the way you think." Sorbet said back.

After effectively being cut out of the conversation by pinkie, I decide to go on and meet the other ponies and gryphons alike who have been invited here. The band directors were in a corner discussing the state of affairs and such about music and Orchestra members as well.

I move past them and find a gryphon sitting alone at one of Sugar Cube Corner's couches. I sit next to him and well… "Hello."

"Hey," he said back.

"I'm Cloud.

"Nice to meet you, cloud and my name's Jacob."

"Pleasure meeting you," I said putting my hoof out for a hoofshake.

"Say, I heard there was a new inductee, Is that you?" Jake said accepting that hoofshake.

"Yeah, I'm the new guy. How'd you know?"

"It’s because Anniversary get-togthers are usually for the Symphony only and I haven't seen you around before."

"Ah,"

There was now a silence. The room had gone quiet if for but a second or two but, the chitchat once again picked up.

"So, what instrument do you play?" Jake asked.

"The clarinet," I replied.

"What, that rare thing? I hear gryphons have the hardest time playing that thing, that’s why I play a tenor saxophone."

"I heard that Instrument had to have a gryphon or pony standing to play it. That, I can't do too well because, hooves."

“The likes of which a gryphon doesn't have" Jake proclaimed boastfully.

"The clarinet takes magic, the likes of which I do have." I said calling his boast.

"I guess you're right," Jake said realizing he was matched card for card in this little boasting contest.

The room still bustled with conversation. As Jake and I were silent for a bit longer, neither of us made much of a break from the conversation until.

"Well, it’s been fun talking to you cloud."

"Same," I replied "Have a good evening."

"Same to you and I hope you're ready to work your cutie mark off once things get started." Jake said as I walked away from the couch he was sitting on.

I head to the punch table which was serving apple cider and berry punch. I take a cup of both knowing that Applejack works hard at farming apples and knowing that whoever made the punch would be upset if it weren't all gone.

I still see that pinkie and Diamond were talking and sipping their own drinks over at a table, still possibly talking about music. Despite being as random as ever, Pinkie has from time to time gives a lot into conversations.

I continue walking on and see the one who taunted me the night of my audition, Octavia. Her grey cote and black mane the same as usual, her purple bow tie still on from her re-audition or, was it a different one. I couldn't tell

"Hello there cloud," she said. It’s nice to see a new face in the orchestra."

"Thanks," I said. "Your re-audition was phenomenal."

"Of course, I only save the best pieces for auditions," she said. "That and Vynal helped me re-imagine things that were a bit bland in it."

"Ah, Wish I could be as talented as you."

"Oh, that, well it comes with time and practice. Lots of practice," she said emphasizing the word lots.

"That, I wouldn't doubt," I say taking a sip of apple cider.

"Not to mention, the music that's supposed to be performed is going to be showcased all around Equestria and Neighboring places," She took a sip of her berry punch after that sentence.

"How hard is this gig?"

"Oh, it varies, especially if there's a new inductee." she said hinting to me.

I took the hint, “I’m no slacker.”

"So, what have you heard if anything?"

"About what?"

"Um," I really don't know what to talk about right now "I heard that there's a pony in ponyville who has this awesome turntable and…"

"Oh you're talking about Vynal? I heard somepony broke in and wreaked havoc on what she was working on for over a month, a new sort of 'Wub' as she puts it."

No wonder I pissed off the DJ who'd preformed for Cadence's and Shining's wedding.

"Now that I think about it, her description of the pony involved seems to fit you to a-"

Oh buck…

"Excuse me, Fillies and Geltlecolts," one of the directors said from the front of Sugarcube corner. Saved by the cloud, again. The conductor there had on a formal suit that clashed with the style of the town he was in. He spoke like he'd been a podium pony for years; His mane was grey, and he was a little wrinkled. “I’m one of the three directors here and I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to Miss Pinkamina Dian Pie and Princess Twilight Sparkle for cordially inviting us to Ponyville for our 1000th anniversary."

Pinkie cut in right after that, "Please call me Pinkie!"

The speaking director cleared his throat and then said, "I would like to take this chance to welcome our new inductee, Clarinet Cloud." the ponies and gryphons there clapped as I made way to the stage just for an appearance. I saw the many faces of those in our Orchestra and that was a little too intimidating for me.

I was soon shuffled off stage by another one of the conductors. That conductor wore a Stetson much scruffier than Applejack's and had a country accent one that when he spoke, he'd spoke the years of experience he had. "I would also like to say that the piece we're doing this year will be handed out tonight instead of our usual meeting on the 19th of May. So, please, line up by section and get your piece.”

The Orchestra did so. I saw Octavia fall in close to the back Diamond Sorbet was close to the front and Jacob somewhere in the middle. My instinct told me to go to the front, I knew Sorbet as a tutor and she was the best I’ve had on that. I was now wondering, with how organized Twilight is, how much harder tutelage under her would be.

I was perhaps the tenth pony served being handed the music to “The Great Steamboat Race”. It, at first, sounded like a piece that a seasoned pony sailor would write or perhaps a race of that kind witnessed by a pony.

Soon enough, after everypony got their piece, two others came to me Sorbet and Octavia. oh, how would this go?

"Oh, Sorbet," Octavia said "It’s been a while hasn't it?"

"Yes it has, Tavi, Yes it has," Sorbet replied "and frankly It’s been a pleasure to tutor this fine, new, recruit."

"Oh, Cloud, you know Sorbet, How did that come to be?" Octavia asked me and for once to be a part of the conversation, which pinkie cut me out of one, I replied

"She was my tutor soon after I found my clarinet."

"Hm, Well, Cloud, you'll have your job cut out for you, Basically, in this orchestra you're supposed to be good or get cut. Frankly, I can see you in both categories as of now; But, I can see you becoming a good player if you just practice and do things excellently and diligently."

"You're right Tavi," Sorbet said. "And I should mention the credo for this Orchestra and that is: 'there's always room for improvement.'"

I thought on the credo for a moment and began pondering how I myself could improve upon what I know and what others have taught me.

"So, Tavi, How's Vynal doing these days?" Sorbet asked.

"Oh, she's been better, She recently had somepony break in and destroy a tune she'd been working on for a while." as Octavia said. 'somepony' she looked directly at me, That was no longer a secret, even if it was one.

"Oh girl, that sucks," Sorbet said somewhat not taking the obvious hint Octavia threw.

"I know, now she has to work all week to try and redo everything." Octavia said somewhat like Rarity.

"Did she catch sight of that ransacker?" Sorbet asked.

"She did, even said that the colt involved apologized, but, that hardly makes up for the work she'd lost."

"mmhmm." Sorbet nodded.

Somehow, someway, I have to make it up to DJ Pon3. I just know an opportunity will arise for me to do so. I remained silent.

"So, what’d the colt look like, Tavi?"

"He had brown fur and a combo colored mane orange and yellow. She didn't However get a good look at the cutie mark though. That’s how the guards and police ponies can be certain that their perp's always caught."

Shoot, No cloud saving me this time.

"That sounds like it could've been you, Cloud, Was it?"

That was my moment to be truthful as much as it sometimes stung to be, "Yeah I might as well come clean now, It was me." Sorbet and Octavia looked at me shocked, then Octavia said, "I knew it. I knew you were the one I'll..."

"Look, If it makes any difference I have a job and I'm willing to give my first years paycheck to Vynal. I just wanted to let her know that I was sorry and that I can't DJ for nothing." I cut Octavia off.

I was now saying this because I'd done this on my own curiosity, "No, that won't do," I said "I'll give her all my paychecks. Even 75% tip." I said

Octavia was still very angry, Tartarus hath no fury like mares scorned. I was ready to just run and never return, as though this had been what my destiny was since I had ever gotten my cutie mark. But, just then, I remembered my middle sister's saying to cheer me up in these situations: 'Clouds always have a purpose.'

"Tavi, Calm down." Sorbet said.

Octavia looked as though she hadn't wanted anything to do with me after that.

"It was my fault, I just get too curios at times and well you know how both those sayings go."

"That, indeed, I do,” Sorbet said. "And one thing I'm going to say is: it's going to take forever before Octavia will ever speak to you. I know how she gets when she's angry and trust me, it’ll take a lot to patch things up here."

I remained silent after that incident blew over, I needed some way to make this up to Octavia I vowed from then on to find a way to do so. Things were coming to a close at the recruitment party as such everyone there headed for the midnight train going back to Canterlot. Diamond Sorbet bid farewell to those who had played the violin and viola parts in this symphony as well as Jake who'd just simply nodded back.

The train departed and I noticed that Diamond Sorbet wasn't getting on. I was shocked at finally knowing somepony else that'd lived in Ponyville and preformed in the Symphony.

Sorbet trotted off the train stand and was headed this way. she was right next to me when she said, "So, you live in Ponyville as well?"

"Yeah," was all I could say back. I was still ashamed of what had happened back there. I was even surprised that she would even talk to me after all the drama back in Sugarcube corner.

It was a quiet evening but, then again, it was midnight and things were pretty low past dark. I was wondering: since the symphony was in town why weren't the ponyville news papers warned about this? Perhaps it was a surprise party like Pinkie had said.

"I'm staying just for a bit with some family, I would be catching the train back to Manehatten but," Sorbet started but cut off. "Pinkie tells me that she got the symphony to come here for their 1000th anniversary just for you. Frankly, I don't see how you're so special as to have a surprise party being the Royal Symphony. I must know how did you and Pinkie meet?

Author's Note:

When things came down to this chapter, I had no clue what to name Diamond Sorbet. I had help from golden oath on the names for this chapter. I went for broke on the gryphon's name actually naming him after my friend in band class who did play tenor saxophone. I wish to poll a simple question and one that will be answered in the next chapter: is it possible to surprise Pinkie? please comment. and please tell me if I need to work on anything
thanks much Storm Rival

Comments ( 1 )

Even though this is on a hiatus, I have gone over it once more and tried to fix any mistakes that were there previously as best I could.

Thank you.

Login or register to comment