• Published 8th Apr 2015
  • 253 Views, 2 Comments

Sweet symphonies - Storm Rival



An aspiring musician attempts to join the Canterlot Royal symphony Only thing is he's a complete underdog. after his initial audition He's accepted but how long will he stay?

  • ...
 2
 253

Speak softly and use your angry eyes (the DJ Pon3 chapter)

Part 1: the new recruit

Chapter 1: Speak softly and use your angry eyes.

I was excited that I was now accepted to the symphony and I was trying to see who else in the little town of Ponyville was accepted. I knew Octavia was one, but I just wanted to know who else.

I walked the life filled streets of Ponyville hoping to hear any sort of music but to my surprise, none came to my ears. The day was a clear one thanks to Rainbow Dash, but from time to time, I prefer a couple of clouds in the sky. I continued on for about an hour or so with no such luck to finding who played music in Ponyville. I eventually went to the park and saw Lyra Heartstrings.

She was sitting like she usually does on the bench, strait up yet, slouched down. I walk over to her knowing she at least plays the lyre and ask; “are you in the royal band?”

She sits up a little her hind legs nearly toughing the ground then says, “Excuse me?”

“Sorry, I was just inducted to the Royal Canterlot symphony and I was wondering if you were a part of it.”

“Oh no, If I were there’d be very little time I could spend with Bonbon.”

I looked down somewhat disappointed “Oh.” I said flatly back

“I’m actually a freelancer,” She said back; “I’ll play if somepony pays me to, but other than that my playing is just a hobby.”

“Have a good day,” I say to her.

“You too,” She said back

I sigh and continue my journey to find who else is in the band. After a bit, I came to a park in which I saw Rarity’s choir group practicing for an upcoming performance. They need a bit more practice, in my opinion, but all the same the melody harmony and the glorious bass of Big Mac all came together wonderfully. I sighed, continuing on. Not wanting to stop and have Rarity ask if her group got any better; frankly it needs a little bit more time in my opinion.

On my way back to my house, I hear some electronic beats go off from some window and some ponies covering their ears as they trotted by. ‘Who could that be?’ I asked myself; I’ve only known that Octavia was in the band, but who else does music here in Ponyvile. I creep around the building and see an icy, white, blue, mare, step out of the house.

‘Who was that?’ I again asked myself again, browsing my brain for an answer I know I should know her, but I don’t.

I head into the mare's house knowing that whenever she got back, I’d be in big trouble, but sometimes curiosity gets the best of me. Besides, my house is right next door. I sneak around front and see that she’s going to Sugarcube corner.

I once again, browse my head and think of somepony who goes to sugar cube corner who’s the same color, but none come to mind. I continue inside and all I see are a stereo set and a couple of turntables. Whoever it was, was a DJ, I went over to the set up and saw that there were records there lying in a neat pile. Now that I thought about I have always wanted to be a DJ.

I’ve heard kit bit’s 8 bit music and loved it I’ve also heard dubstep some of which I tolerate. I just can’t take songs that more less repeat the same bars of measure over and over again to get to the main piece, or more simply put drop the beat. Kit bits has somewhat inspired me to become a DJ, however, I’ve never been able to get the equipment, nor did I get how exactly the remix process happened which made me well nothing compared to the elites.

I levitated the first record in the corner that I see and place it on the turntable. The disc begins to spin and the needle on the disc began to make the sound. SUCH LOUD SOUND! Jeez! If this was how loud DJ’s normally listened to music, I honestly couldn’t handle the job had I had training of course.

I quickly turn down the music, thinking that whoever was here before would’ve heart that musical blast especially from Sugarcube corner. Aah, much better… I continue on and try out some of the effects on the electric middle of the turntable and well got some interesting results. I wasn’t too sure about the wubs and how those wubs came together to make dubstep, but I liked the chance to try this.

I continued on doing this for about a minute, until I hear the door crash in. The mare I saw before was now right in the entrance, my only chance of escape being the open windows, but I decided to accept her judgment.

Not much came after I’d stopped everything, She just looked at me through her sunglasses as though expecting an explanation to which I offered one: “I’m sorry, I stumbled into the wrong house." That was a futile attempt at getting sympathy from her. She just simply lowered her sunglasses a little so that her red eyes came through. "I was looking for musicians, I'm sorry I barged in." That she somewhat bought "look I’m sorry and I’ll never become a DJ and I’ll fix what I’ve done wrong.”

With that last sentence, she took off her sunglasses revealing in full the crimson eyes that were easily clashed against her mane and cote she looked angrily at me.

“Just, get out.” She said angrily. I immediately followed that one instruction from her, making way to the exit quickly.

Just before the door shut I asked “who are you?” To which her only reply through the door was:

“The name’s DJ Pon3.”

I decided to call today a lost cause, because the most ponies here do is farming anyhow. I knew that pinkie played both the trombone and the sousaphone, However, she’d really never given the band a shot, preferring freelancing much like Lyra from the park before.

DJ Pon3, I thought. I have heard of her before she performed for the summer sun celebration before being the main DJ and even announcing a new dance that year. I honestly thought that dance to be hilarious but all the same that summer was the best.

Oh, horse feathers… I pissed off that DJ. She’d preformed for the summer festival many times before, but, unknown to me now, she'd also done a wedding or two as well. All the same I was ashamed about pissing her off I just wish for some way to make things better.

Author's Note:

First off, I must apologize in advance to Vynal Scratch fans.:applecry: I wanted to incorporate something a friend said about Vynal, and that was the fact that in the series she hardly ever spoke. even though there are plenty of times she has spoke in the fandom and IDW comics she has yet to speak in the TV show (Pre Background pony episode (when it airs)). That said I took the approach that she'd only speak if she needed to. please tell me if I got this right and please as always tell me how I can change it if it needs to be. :pinkiesmile: I really don't want this ending as another bad fic right off the get go.
Thanks much,
Storm Rival.