• Published 8th Apr 2015
  • 253 Views, 2 Comments

Sweet symphonies - Storm Rival



An aspiring musician attempts to join the Canterlot Royal symphony Only thing is he's a complete underdog. after his initial audition He's accepted but how long will he stay?

  • ...
 2
 253

Prologue: Audition for the Royal symphony.

Sweet Symphonies.

Prologue: Night of Nights.

Three judge ponies sit in the center of an empty auditorium, ready to hear the pieces that others, before, had attempted to get into the Royal Canterlot Symphony. The stage was set and it was only those three listeners were intently listening and making critiques on Octavia’s piece.

I have tried and tried many times before to get into the Royal Choir, however, with my changing voice when I was a younger colt, singing left me in the dust, one of my lost causes. I have also tried to become a DJ but I just can’t keep up a rhyme to save my life. In hind sight or just having time to prepare I’d be a good DJ but that’s just not how things work another one of my lost causes.

Enough on those though, tonight’s not going to be a third or fourth lost cause, I’m not going to fail this audition into the Canterlot Royal Symphony. I’ve tried and gotten rejected at choir before, perhaps, I just need an instrument for my voice.

I’m thankful that somepony besides me actually owns this rare instrument; I hear that it comes from human mythology and I actually pilfered the one I own from an ancient dig sight.

I actually fooled a couple ponies into believing that it mystically disappeared. The other half believed that somepony, namely me, stole it and they were right on that accusation. A private Investigator by the name of Thunder Vanguard actually got on my tail for that; let’s just say there wasn't enough evidence that I stole it so, he let me keep my, now, prized possession. The silence in the auditorium alerted me to the inevitable…My turn.

Though my thoughts were racing about how I got here. I heard Octavia’s show stopper which had actually gotten the judges to clap for her. She was there to reapply because her contract expired. She’s quite literally the best at what she does.

She passed by, somewhat taunting me, but, in a good mannered way “How was that Rookie?”

I, on the other hoof, was letting my expressions show my disbelief. If this was how good the top ponies were I’d have no chance at actually getting accepted. Why didn’t I notice what an underdog I was at this event; and why was this affecting me now? She’s preformed at multiple Grand Galloping Galas and even a couple weddings, ugh, why?

A voice from beyond the stage called “Next!” I pass the back stage’s red curtain and am aloud now to see the huge but empty auditorium. I froze the spotlight on me. no going back, no going forward; just the now. I take a couple of breathers to boost my self-confidence and I slowly levitate my Clarinet to my mouth and I begin to blow.

The piece I’d prepared that night, to apply for the Royal Symphony, was a jazzy piece knowing that saxophones usually carried that title. I assumed that a clarinet could do just as well. I also know that saxophones are usually carried by gryphons and their talons but for a clarinet it needs just a magic touch to it. It’s supposed to be handled by a five fingered human, and, well, I use my magic to stop the air from going through the 'finger holes and also to press down the buttons. I breathe from going through the open holes of this thing and that’s how I’m able to play it.

A minute or so of my rhythmical piece passed, and I am done. The judges continue their ramblings for about a minute then the first one done then says, “Thank you for preforming. You’ll get your results via the mail in about a week or so.”

The feeling of being stuck passed, I was no longer nervous, but now I understand how Pinkie pie must’ve felt waiting for a letter from Rainbow dash. I pack up my clarinet into my saddlebag back stage and soon, I head to the cheapest diner in Canterlot. I didn’t have enough for the train ride back to Ponyville and the most elegant dinner ever, so I had to stick to second rate dining which I’m totally fine doing.

-----

Now that I’m back at home I still hope that I’m accepted. Heck, if not, at least I didn’t replace Octavia at what she does best. All the same, I’d think with such a rare instrument, I’d be at least considered for the band. I sigh then head for my kitchen.

Not much adorns this home; with the feud between my mom and aunt about my grandma’s will there’s a lot of scars that can come from just a past picture of any one of them. The pictures I do have out on display are actually of my eldest sister brother in law and three nephews.

My eldest nephew is a unicorn. He's suffering from a very rare disease called magic degeneration. Basically, it was the reason Tierik was such a threat to Equestria. True he took magic but the same principle applies here; My nephew’s horn is slowly receding into his head and not much is known past that. It’s speculated that after the horn completely recedes that the pony then becomes either an earth pony or a Pegasus because of the magic aura and that the process would be very painful either way. He's miraculously soldered through that and his horn is nearly fully receded. Now his mind must make up weather he should be an earth pony or pegasus.

Most of my family are pegasai; When I was born I was the only unicorn in the bunch. My parents made a quick move to the Crystal Empire to house me and my sisters. Because My parents weren't magically inclined, I had to learn basic levitation elsewhere making me more less an abnormal unicorn relying heavily on my physical being rather than the magical.

My stomach was growling and it was now lunch time. I check my fridge and find nothing but my favorite meal, Spaghetti. Making a quick snack of left over spaghetti I then decide to check the mail.

Heading out I find that the mail mare was actually on time today.

"Hey, Ditzy," I call out to her.

“Ah, hi Cloud," she replies.

"Did it come yet? I ask hoping for the expected 'no'.

"Yes It did, all the way from Canterlot."

I was excited and nervous- nervousited as pinkie puts it- hoping to be accepted, yet at the same time hoping not to be bound by some royal contract. "Thank you." I said to her as she flew off to deliver other mail.

I was now left with a scroll, A scroll with the Royal seal being the thing binding the contents from anypony else seeing it. Opening it up without my magic, I see what was formally written with a typewriter.

'Mr. Clarinet Cloud,

We are pleased to inform you that you have indeed been accepted to the Royal Canterlot symphony. With your rare, melodic, instrument, it was no trouble fitting you in with the rest of the band. This band is in need of more melody and harmony parts, that is where you fit in. You will be a second Clarinet part; who will, at times, play the main melody like the first clarinet, yet at the same time you will also accompany the bass parts and other parts as such to fit the music.

The only Requirements to this is you must don your own set of bow ties as to fit uniform Regulation. You must also practice in your own time. The decision to cut you may be made by the band directors, or by others in the band who feel you aren't pulling your weight, so, practice hard.

Finally, you need to know the important dates, so as to get the music that everypony in this band is going to preform and when each concert is. The meeting for your music is May 19th, and the first concert is in July. Visit your director for more details.

We are happy to have you as an addition to this band and wish you luck in expanding your career.

Sincerely, Mr. Combs, Mr. Crockett and Mr. Colgrove, (their names signed in pen)
The Royal symphony Directors.

-----

I was awe struck, I can't believe that I was actually accepted, especially considering that the others from that night out preformed me. I sighed hoping not to be late for anything band related and quickly wrote down the dates given. I did it, No longer will the things I’ve tried float by in the clouds.

Author's Note:

I'm sorry but I don't know the director\directors of the Royal symphony as soon as I know the sooner this will be changed please let me know asap thanks much.

Storm Rival