• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 8,495 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Poisoned Barb's Tale - ManlyDerp



[Sequel Story] A mother, reborn into the mirrored world of her daughter's bygone years, desperately tries to find purpose in her second childhood. This is Barbara's diary.

  • ...
34
 1,352
 8,495

PreviousChapters Next
Entry 9, Part 2 (Look Before You Seer)

Spike sure was a strange kid, huh?

Revelation of the century, I know, but please stick around for a moment longer. Unlike all some most of my ham-fisted segways segues, this one does actually have a point.

Spike The Dragon was, without question, Twilight's loving assistant. Rarity held the young drake's heart too, and would infrequently return his affection in the form of a kiss or a gift. Beyond his loyal companionship with those two ponies, however, he was rather an enigma when compared with the rest of the main cast. Early on the ponies were able to bounce off of each other fairly naturally due to their past history together, or due to their largely compatible personalities, but I can't recall a time where the little dragon was allowed to really shine with, say, Applejack, or Rainbow Dash.

Now by his eighth birthday it was clear that everyone had grown to care about each other very much, but I can only hazard a guess as to what their initial thoughts were of him, and his in turn, during the first half of season one; the nebulous time period where the characters were only starting to get to know one another. Did he dislike one mare over another? Did he think highly of somepony besides the two he frequently hung out with? Which girl was the one who got around to talking to him last, or who was the one to strike up the first non-dragon related conversation with him? Did he ever humorously butcher one of their names, or get called something like "Spork" by mistake?

The reason I’m bringing up these admittedly silly questions is because I’m having a real hard time imagining Spike's friendship with his world's girls matching one for one with my friendship with this world's boys. See? Told you there was a point.

A good example of this split comes from my relationship with Rainbow Dash. Of the male mane six, excluding Dusk, I feel as though I’ve grown closest to him most of all during my relatively short stay in Ponyville. Bubble Berry is still a bit too wild for my tastes, Butterscotch is friendly but imposing, Applejack is a hothead so full of himself that it gets grating at times, and Elusive is elusive... but Rainbow Dash?

Rainbow Dash is a stallion who I feel gets me.

Sometimes he’s girlier than I enjoy seeing, and often he’s way too intense to keep up with, but he more than makes up for these minor negatives by possessing the most important trait I look for in a friend above all else:

When I’m around him, I feel welcomed.

I feel like a person to consider, and not a load to be ignored, when he takes the time to say hello to me, or offers me a wing when I fall down. Gleaming Shield, Red Gala, Sweepy Belle, and Scooteroll all displayed this quality too when our paths first crossed, and it was from this tiny spark that our friendship grew to where it is today. Dusk displayed this ember as well when I first met him; when he welcomed me to his world with open hooves, and cradled me when I thought my life was truly over. Our meeting is still the one I hold dearest in my heart, and the sole reason why I sacrificed so much to remain his assistant all those years ago.

Now truthfully this fire wasn't in Rainbow Dash when I first met him. He was kind, and paid more attention to me than canon Dash did with Spike, but the stallion’s blaze only began to burn when I agreed to turn him into a lady. The intense training session that followed, involving fiery threats and just as hot outfits, was what allowed me to see the pony in his element, and for him to see me as an equal. That connection is where our friendship truly began, and where my mind at last accepted this Dash, the one that enjoys being femininely loyal to himself and others, as my Dash; quirks and all...

… Him wanting to tag along for my trip to Canterlot was still a rather strange request though, not gonna lie.

◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠

Rainbow Dash is waiting expectantly for my reply.

I’m staring at him dumbly, waiting for him to pull my other leg.

The streets of Ponyville remain busy as we rudely stand in the middle of traffic.

“...”

“...”

Eventually my mind restarts.

“You... want to go to Canterlot?” I tilt my head, greatly confuzzled.

“I want to talk to Solaris too,” Dash thankfully elaborates in more detail... yet somehow only making things more confusing. “Got a question on my mind that I want to pick his brain about.”

“Question?”

“P… P-personal stuff,” the stallion deflects with the waving of his hoof. “It’ll be better if I ask him myself,” he adds, cutting off my chance to learn more.

… Huh…

… Rainbow Dash… wants to talk... to Prince Solaris...?

… What?

… Looks like it’s Seer-Think-Mode time, folks.

Let’s review what we know:

To start, I’m fairly certain the episode that mentioned Spike leaving for royal business was called Look Before You... Leap? No! Wait! Sleep! Look Before You Sleep… I think. If memory serves, that specific story contained no Spike in it, and instead opted for just Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and Rarity. Together they had a sleepover, with the reasoning behind it being because of… um... of... something

… Phooey.

I don’t remember this one at all! Spike wasn’t in it, and it mostly featured sleepover clichés that don’t carry over that well to a male centered cast, so I must have deleted it from my memory banks at some point without even realizing! All I do remember is that Twilight, Applejack, and Rarity were the stars. I don’t recall any appearances from Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, or, most importantly, Rainbow Dash.

If RD doesn’t have a role in today’s events, and if he wants to go with me to Canterlot to chat with Solaris for some reason…

… and… and if more’s the merrier…

… W-would it be selfish of me if I…

… Screw it.

I wanna play with my friend.

“I’d love for you to come,” I smile, unable to hide my growing elation. “Prince Solaris might not have time to fit you in for a meeting though, and the one I’ll be having with him is kinda just between the two of us… Knowing that, do you still want to go?”

“Hay yeah, girl!” Rainbow cheers, hyping me up even more. “Been meaning to try that donut shop you and Dusk won’t shut up about anyways. Chatting with Solaris would be pretty awesome... buuuut if I don't get that chance it'll still be a win win for me.”

“Awesome!” I steal his word with a immature squeak, earning me stares from passersby. “I-I mean… ahem… awesome.”

Speaking candidly, traveling alone is still a rather risky undertaking for someone my age to go through. Though my mind hasn’t completely regressed to that of a child’s I still am one, and thus am just as likely to get foalnapped or lead astray as any filly else. My opinion on such has only grown louder in the last few days as my walk back to Ponyville painfully reminded me of just how vulnerable I am on my own.

Beyond there being safety in numbers, I actually do enjoy spending time with Rainbow Dash, so him being willing to travel with me is a boon if ever I saw one. It's highly unlikely that Solaris, who knows full well how guarded I am of my secrets, will allow a wildcard like him to spy on our meeting, so there's not a whole lot for me to be worried about for once. Plus, as a bonus, RD will stick up for me if any Canterlot snob decides to be their usual xenophobic self!

I’m only seeing positives here, and no negatives.

All aboard the Friendship Express, choo choo!

“We can talk about He’s Dedicated to Roses 2 on the train ride up!” I resumed walking, spring now in my step. “That ending was crazy, right?!”

“Where Meadow Shire turned out to be Snowflame the whole time?!” he whispers back loudly, attempting to keep bystanders from overhearing spoilers and failing spectacularly. "I literally flipped when I read that part!”

“And they finally addressed the dice roll from book one!” I add, equally finding it hard to lower my volume. “That was driving me nuts!”

“Oh same, for real,” Dash agrees with a wave of his cutely laced hoof. “Totally called it being six though.”

“My money was on one,” I shrug, more than happy to have this little mental breather from my still looming ‘battle’.

“...?!”

Something I had said, however, seems to have reminded Rainbow Dash of something important.

“Money!” he yelps out, now hurriedly patting himself down. “Shoot shoot! I-I didn’t bring any bits for a train ticket!”

“That’s okay, I can spot you some,” I offer, opening up my purse and reaching inside.

“Nah girl, I can’t do that!” Dash insists, waving his forelegs denyingly. "I still haven't paid you back for the prank with the storm cloud!"

"The prank with th-" I start to ask, but then I recall the event he's referencing. "Oh, you mean the one with the scrolls from a couple weeks back? I forgave you and Berry on that already, Dash, and so did Solaris. Don't you remember the message he sent us about it?"

Yeah, get a load of this; the big guy didn't see fit to update me on Eris' statue, or on his thoughts concerning my warning about Stardust, but he DID take the time to write up the magic letter equivalent of a 'L.O.L.' in response to getting buried in a tidal wave of unused scroll seals.

That dude seriously needs to reevaluate his priorities.

"Yeah I remember," Rainbow admits, knocking me out of my princely critiquing. "But I also remember you telling me that Dusk took away your allowance because of it!" Next lifting himself up into the air, shedding more ribbons in the process, he cries back to me with, "I owe you lunch or something, Barb, so let me just fly home and grab some bits real quick for us both! Won’t even take ten seconds, promise.”

“Hmmm, ‘kay,” I relent, putting my bit purse back into my purse purse. Guess I can't argue with a free(ish) lunch. "I’ll meet you at the train station then.”

“Sounds good,” he readies himself to leave. “See you at the train stati-”

“Aren't yah supposed to be bringin’ in the rain today, Mister Rainbow Dash?”

Airbreaking and tripping, a sudden new voice startles the two of us into halting.

It’s a real young voice too, I might add. Whipping our heads towards the source, Rainbow Dash and I quickly discover it to be none other than Apple Buck.

Riding in from the east atop his sister’s, Red Gala’s, head, the colt casts worried eyes RD’s way. "Ah thought there was gonna be a big storm tonight,” the school aged foal speaks innocently, concern evident in his words. "Sweet Apple Acres' crops really need the water.”

“Eeyup,” Red supports this claim. Shooting Rainbow Dash a deceptively flat look for good measure, it doesn’t take much for either of us to figure out that this mare was not amused by this turn of events.

Now sweating, my pegasus friend gulps nervously as my farmgirl friend's expression continues to drill holes into him. “O-oh,” he stutters out, conspicuously avoiding eye contact with both Apple ponies. “Was that storm scheduled for today? Shoot… Must have forgotten all about it, h-hehe”

"Eeyup,” Red bobs her head curtly…

Fump

… unintentionally flinging Apple Buck off of it in the process.

Stepping over to his side while the big ponies talk over us, I help the youth back to his hooves. "You okay there, bow buddy?”

Upon shaking off his daze, the yellow coated colt grants me a funny look. "Bow buddy?”

Bringing my tail forward, I lightly tap my new green accessory against AB’s pinkish bowtie. Now catching my joke, the two of us share a little giggle.

“... Okay you make a really, really good point,” Rainbow Dash finishes his intense conversation with Red Gala, regaining my attention. “Ponyville’s team is still a bit green in the gills to be handling seasonal storms on their own.”

“Eeyup,” Red concurs diplomatically, clearly grateful for Dash sticking to his commitments.

Sigh… Sorry, Barb,” RD moans as he turns back my way. "Guess I can’t go to Canterlot with you after all. Got some scheduled bad weather to oversee here in Ponyville that's going to take all day and night to complete. Bleh..."

While I nod in understanding, Red Gala's eyebrow suddenly skyrockets in concern.

"... Eeyup?" she next asks me, casting her gaze in my direction. Her eyes are silently sending me a message, one that roughly translates to; “Canterlot? Everythin’ okay, Barb?”

Gratefully mouthing the words "Yeah, everything's fine. Thanks,” back to her, I turn to RD and tell him, "That’s fine, Dash. It’s the thought that counts… Oh!” I then exclaim, as the makings of a new plan forms in my head. “Maybe you can come along next time! I do these meetings once a month, so I can totally ask Solaris to add you to his schedule by then!”

“Really?!” Dash flutters his wings agreeably, accepting these terms. “Awesome! As long as he doesn’t put it on the day of the Best Young Flyer competition or something you can consider it a date, Barb!”

This remark results in Red Gala shooting RD another harsh, judging glare.

In retaliation, Rainbow simply rolls his eyes.

"Playdate, Red,” the stallion groans, shaking his head. "We're talking about a playdate here. Get your mind out of the gutter, girl; stallions are supposed to be the dirty ones, not mares.”

“...”

Thanks to her being one of my best friends, and thanks to her being his older sister; Apple Buck and I snicker to ourselves as we end up being the only ones here able to tell that Red is now blushing profusely.

Toot toot

“All aboard!”

Jumping in place, my sight zooms towards Ponyville Station as the Friendship Express' smoke stack begins to steam. "My train!” I shriek, realizing that I’m about to be late. Crud crud crud! Dashing off, I shout back to all my gathered friends, “Gotta go, everypony! Stay safe with today’s storm!”

“Bye Barb!” Apple Buck waves politely in return. “Be safe too!” Awww, look at what a little sweetheart he is~

“What he said!” Rainbow piggybacks off of the colt’s cry. “And bring back some donuts while you’re at it!” Hey I’m not made out of bits here, dude.

“Eeyup,” adds Red... whether for the ‘stay safe’ part, or the donuts, I’m unsure.

Well, either way, I warmly grant the ponies a fond farewell as I round the steps leading up to the train station, show the conductor my ticket, and make my way to a comfy open seat just in the nick of time. I've gotta stop these close calls from becoming a habit!

Toot toot

With train moving, I lean over to the windowsill and open it ajar in order to stick my upper torso (and just my upper torso this time thank-you-very-much) out of it. This allows me to wave goodbye one final time before the Friendship Express departs Ponyville entirely.

Rainbow Dash being unable to come along sure was a bummer, but the thought that he wanted to spend time with me is reassuring in and of itself. So far only my young friends and my gal pals have expressed that desire unconditionally, so to see one of the boys genuinely wanting to make sure I’m safe… Well it certainly goes a long way towards making ‘Barbara The Dragoness’ and ‘Spike The Dragon’ feel like two completely different characters.

The jury is still out on whether we truly are though, sadly.

Spike possessed something that Luna wanted in the same way I possessed something that Artemis wanted; that’s not a detail that should be overlooked. It can mean one of many, many different things of various levels of severity. From as minor him knowing a cooking recipe the Princess desperately needed at all costs, to as major as him being my double; the reincarnated father of two...

... Same old same old for little old me; I have plenty of guesses, but zero answers. Will Solaris be able to shine some light on my darkness? Will I ever know the truth in its entirety? Let's be honest, the answer to both these questions is probably no. There's nothing I loath more than an unsolved mystery, so it's likely my fate is to endure plenty more of them until the end of my days!

At least I can always count on my friends to grant me steady ground when the world starts spinning a tad too fast for my liking.

~At the Same Time, Underneath the Same Sky~

The great locomotive speeds off into the countryside, whisking away the young dragoness.

The small gathering of ponies remain behind, slowly weaning off their waving as the engine disappears into the distance.

The deafening silence lingers on as the three equines debate on what next to do with themselves.

Jobs still needed to be done...

… thus Red Gala departed first.

With baby brother galloping energetically in front, helpfully ‘leading’ her back towards their home, Red hiked up her saddlebags full of unsold merchandise and readied herself to gallop.

But before she could leave... Rainbow Dash spoke up.

“Saaaay,” is how he halted the mare's retreat. “Red. You’re good friends with Barb, right?”

“... Eeyup,” Red replied apprehensively, unsure where the sudden line of questioning was heading.

“And she, like, TELLS you things too, right?” the pigtailed pony continued on, head still turned away; gaze still locked on the horizon. "Not like girl talk, but the real deep stuff… right?”

Red’s brow narrowed.

“Eeyup,” she spoke simply, as she cautiously eyed her guest for his suspicious inquiries.

“...”

“...”

… Rainbow Dash then drew his sight back towards Red Gala…

… and offered her an expression she was all too familiar with.

The expression of a concerned friend.

"Got a question on my mind that I want to pick your brain about.”

PreviousChapters Next