• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 8,495 Views, 1,352 Comments

The Poisoned Barb's Tale - ManlyDerp



[Sequel Story] A mother, reborn into the mirrored world of her daughter's bygone years, desperately tries to find purpose in her second childhood. This is Barbara's diary.

  • ...
34
 1,352
 8,495

PreviousChapters Next
Entry 8, Part 3 (Dragonapped)

Dear Diary,

I don’t know what’s going on.

It feels like what happened in the library took place a lifetime ago. I’m no stranger to recalling long forgotten memories, but the ones I have about the ambush feel centuries outside my grasp. All I can remember is feeling fear, the sapping of my strength, and a dark figure looming with horn ablaze with magic... but that's it.

I also recall having reached some sort of epiphany about his identity, but that seems to have been wiped clean from my mind along with everything that preceded the discovery. I don’t know who that pony was, I don’t know how I escaped his grasp, and I don’t even remember when I decided to start writing.

Writing soothes my nerves, writing keep my thoughts together, and writing will be my gateway to figuring all this out.

Okay, let’s start by focusing on the facts.

Fact number one: after the boys left to chase away the dragon I made my way inside of the library. Fact number two: once I was in the comfort of my home somepony cut out the lights and used their magic on me. Fact number three: said pony asked me to do… something... Great, there’s the progress I needed. This “something” must be the key.

Now, what could they have possibly wanted me to do...?

No, wait. Better question, what could anypony gain in attacking me?! I don’t have any enemies in this world save for maybe Madame Red and Stardust, but I’m pretty sure neither of them care about my existence. The zebra I met in Canterlot that one time didn’t seem to like me a whole lot for some reason, but I don't think this was her work; my latest assailant had a horn.

I feel confident in stating that I’ve done nothing heinous enough in my young life yet to warrant such an assault. If I follow that train of logic, and accept that the act wasn't done out of spite, by process of elimination I must have something that this stranger wants... Or maybe I was an obstacle in their way to possessing it?

Hell, knowing my luck, maybe they were just a common burglar and I'm waaay overthinking things as usual... That answer doesn’t feel right to me though. There must be a detail I’m overlooking.

If him being a burglar doesn’t match up with what my clues are suggesting, then maybe I should look at this from a different angle. Let’s say that he was here just for me, what do I have that's worth taking? Listing everything mentally; to my name I own a diary, a small gem hoard, a purse, a couple of skirts and bows for special occasions, and...

... knowledge of the future.

Could the fact that I’m a Seer be the answer? I can easily see Future Sight information being a pretty hot commodity for those seeking to change their destiny... The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I can’t remember what happened after the stranger’s horn was placed on my forehead, and my mind still feels foggy, so maybe that jerk did something with his magic to extract my memories!

That’s a terrifying thought if it’s true… but I’m not convinced that’s the complete answer.

There's no way a mind reading spell would be public knowledge; it would have to be some kind of super advanced spell, or maybe even forbidden. It's the only reason I can think of for why a socially awkward bookworm like Dusk doesn't know it... Not only that, but how could this mystery spellcaster have possibly learned about this deep secret of mine in the first place?! Last I checked only Prince Solaris knows that I’m a Seer, so how could this stranger hav-

Wait... no... That statement wasn't correct.

Solaris isn’t the only pony who knows about my show knowledge.

There’s one other who does...

… and his name is Prince Artemis.

Yeah... I remember now. He eavesdropped on the private meeting I had with his brother last month, and in doing so learned quite a bit about me. Far more than I was comfortable with him knowing, if I'm being honest, but Solaris promised me that he was going to talk to Artemis about his spying. The elder Prince may have a poor habit of lying to me at times, but I thought I could trust him on this at the very least.

Guess I should have known better… but I suppose I can understand his thought process.

It's now well documented how Nightterror Nebula was the product of Artemis' feelings of isolation and loneliness, so it only makes sense for Solaris' to want to keep him from-

“Don’t mention Nebula.”

...

I…

... I shouldn’t focus on Nebula.

No I… I-I should be focusing on…

“Head’s up Barb!”

“Huh?” I ask, as I find a red rubber ball now speeding my way. Wait, wasn’t I just writing in my diary?

My... diary...

...

... No, my diary is still in the bushes where I left it.

Why would I be worried about it now...?

... Eh. Whatever. Not granting the thought further attention, I catch the toy in mid air and toss it over to Sweepy Belle. A laugh escapes his lips as he kicks it over to Scooter, and soon I’m giggling as well. I’m glad the two colts invited me over to play! In Canterlot I never had the desire to act my age, as parents would often tell their foals to steer clear of me, but after what happened earlier today at the Carousel Boutique...

Let’s just say that I really needed this long overdue break from ‘adult’ Barbara.

Heck, I don't even care that I just got splashed by a muddy puddle! I’m having the time of my life right now! “Thanks for asking me to join, Sweepy!” I let out a shrill squee as the game devolves into unorganized childish chaos. “I’ve never done anything like this before!”

“You're welcome!” the unicorn foal yells back, purposely staining his coat with another dirty splash. “Hey, is it weird if I said that I’m kinda glad we got zapped into that weird dream thing now?”

“The one from last week?" Scooter chimes in, before performing a cannonball into the puddle. "Totally weird, dude... but I get what you mean though! We probably would have never met if it weren’t for that.”

“Hehe, yeah,” I snort, thoroughly enjoying just being here with them. “I guess when you look at it that way, the three of us really owe a lot to that mean old Nightterror Nebu-”

“We asked thou not to dwell on that, Seer. Please focus on thy visions instead.”

...

... I… shouldn’t focus on Nebula.

No I… I-I should be focusing on…

“What are ya’ll playin’?”

Blinking, I lift my head up over the dungeon master screen and glance at the Apple Family’s staircase. As I do I find Apple Buck leaning over the banister, and focusing his eyes on all the figurines and game pieces his sister and I have littered the living room table with.

“Ogres and Oubliettes,” Red Gala answers her little brother plainly, not providing further information.

Unsatisfied with such a bare bones reply, the earth pony colt bounds his way downstairs and makes to get a better look.

I take it upon myself to offer him with a clearer explanation. “It’s an imaginary game, Buck.”

Tilting his head, Apple Buck spares the board another look.

“But... it’s right there,” he states plainly, pointing a hoof at our setup.

This gets a chuckle out of me.

“Heh. No no,” I try to explain again. “I mean it’s a game that uses your imagination.” I then lift up the Monster Manual and flip it open to some of the tome’s cooler looking creatures. “Using the monsters from this book, I try to picture a story and make it come to life!”

Setting the book aside, I next allow the bow tie clad pony to lift it up himself and scan its many pages.

“There’s a lot of numbers in this,” he comments drolly.

“Eeyup,” Red Gala nods sagely.

“... This looks like homework.”

“Hehe… Eeyup.”

Raising a claw to my lips, I attempt to smother a second chuckle.

I fail spectacularly, and my ‘reward’ is a well earned pouty glare from AB.

“It really is fun though!” I try one last time to prove to him that the game was worth checking out. Apple Buck is about the same age as my other friends, so if I can convince him I can convince them all!

Hmmm... Oh! Maybe showing him the paper mache I made for this second session will encourage him to stick around!

Mind set on my decision, I reach into the box I had brought with me and lift up the replica of Nightterror Nebula’s Helmet. I had spent all night working on i-

“Why in Equus are thy recollections still transfixed by that monster's visage... And why are thou drifting further away from th- Wait… Oh for the love of; vision! We said vision, Seer! Not envision!

"Grrrr… At this rate she will awaken before we get what we need! This would be soooo much easier if our powers were fully recovered... Okay... Let's try this again.

"Ahem... Remember the vision, Barbara; the one that did not come to pass.”

...

... I… I shouldn’t be here.

No I… I-I should be… be…

… Here…

… There’s… carpet beneath my feet… I can’t feel it… That doesn't matter though... I know it’s there…

… The hairs poke through my old crocs, brushing up against my toes...

… There’s… a buzzing... in the air…

… It’s coming from the living room…

… My gait is massive… my bones ache with age…

… I can’t see myself…

… The TV is on…

… A person, obscured by a diagonal distortion of whites and grays, sits on the couch…

… She’s… a little girl…

She’s… my… little girl…

“C-me -n m-ma!” the… child… excitedly calls to… me. “I-’s s-art-ng!”

A stuffed animal… dark blue… is cradled in her arms…

… My black fingers fiddle with the remote... and the TV crackles.

“M- li-tle po-y~ -y -it-le p-n-~”

The room fades away into static.

“...

“... That…

“... Was complete and utter nonsense...

"... Grrr! How can a mere child’s subconscious be so fortified?! Our usual methods of persuasion aren't working! Either we're rustier at this then we assumed, or she's utilizing some manner of devious Seer trick to dissuade invaders... Hmmm... No that answer doesn't feel right! We've encountered many a foal with the Seer curse before...

"... Maybe Sol has taken to training them better in our absence...?

"... No... N-no that answer doesn't feel right either! There’s something more going on here. Being out of practice can't be all there is to this.

“Well... talking to ourself isn't going to yield any solutions, so let's lay out the facts.

"So far she has written in a language we could barely translate through the dreamily haze, splashed in mud, conducted some ritual involving quill and parchment, and did something with a noise producing box… Perhaps she’s distracting herself with games to guard her mind from our prodding...

“... If that’s the case, then let’s see where her thoughts will wander once she puts everything back into the proverbial toy chest.

Ahem... Playtime is over, Barbara. Don’t focus on Nebula, and put away all hindrances.”

… I… shouldn’t focus on belongings. I… shouldn’t focus on Nebula.

I… should be elsewhere.

I should be...

“... Um… What… W-what are we supposed to be feeding her, dear?”

“I... don’t really know… Hay?”

“... Maybe?” Dusk Lyons pony shrugs, pointedly not looking my way. “When she was a baby she was usually brought to us with a premade lunch and dinner.”

“Do you remember what those were made of?” Eve Sparkle asks quickly, now opening kitchen cabinets and searching.

“Ummm… Gems, if I’m remembering right.”

Eve halts in place.

“... I don’t think we have any of those lying around.”

Meanwhile, in an abandoned corner of the house, I find myself staring numbly at the wall I once scribbled on out of spite.

The same wall I hadn't seen in over two years.

Everything feels so… surreal right now.

Here I am, barely five years old, and finally free from the Bluebelle’s estate. I’m also free of Misses Red’s stupid baby dresses, thank god. In fact, the first thing I did upon being granted my freedom was to burn the whole darn box of them down into ash…

… But now things have stupidly become complicated again.

Dusk is still living in the dorms as of this time, and he isn’t going to be heading home until summer vacation. Since I no longer have a place at the Bluebelle’s, and seeing as how my old nursery in the castle has long since been converted into a janitor’s closet; there was really only one place left where Prince Solaris could have me wait around for my newly appointed charge.

Unfortunately said place, House Shine, was clearly not ready to care for a toddler again on such short notice.

“Umm… Barbara?” Dusk's mother suddenly asks me quietly, having approached once it became clear that they were gemless. “Are you okay with eating hay for now?”

“Wes,” I mutter back, nodding. I'm too tired from my confrontation with Prince Solaris to remember how to speak Ponish properly, so hopefully she gets my gist.

Apparently defending your right to be a person and not a thing really drains a gal. Who knew?

“O… o-okay,” Eve Sparkle chuckles weakly, unsure whether to interpret my lisp as cute or troublesome. “I’ll make some hayburgers then… Honey!” she then calls out to her husband. “Can you start getting the spare bed ready? You’re going to need to dig out the foal safety bars from storage…”

The mare then turns back and scans me over.

“... and the rubber sheets too,” she finishes yelling.

My cheeks are now crimson.

“Don't meed,” I try to defend what little dignity I have left.

“Just for one night,” the blue unicorn gently pats my head in reply. “Just until you prove you don’t need them.”

Eve then, without sparing me a second thought more, makes her way over to the kitchen and starts working on dinner.

“... Prove enough,” I sniffle, frustrated beyond description. “Prove enough…”

Hasn’t this damn planet humiliated me enough already? Can’t I go one, flipping, day without being reminded of all that I’ve lost? Dark thoughts begin to swell as I grip my knees and bury my face into them. I… just want some reason to keep going.

I just want my Dusk Shine back.

Knock knock knock

…?

Surprised by a sudden knocking on the door, I lift my head up just in time to see Eve Sparkle returning to the living room.

“Now who could that be?” she ponders loudly, approaching the entrance.

“Maybe Prince Solaris forgot to give us something for Barbara?” Dusk's father suggests, now with a safety rail firmly gripped in his magic.

Not wanting to keep the mystery stewing, Eve opens the door…

… and gasps.

“Oh! Hi Gleaming!” Eve chimes, very happy to see her daughter. “What a pleasant surprise!”

An armored white unicorn then enters the building, and grants her mother a loving squeeze.

“Good to see you too, mom,” Gleaming Shield replies back, hugging deeply.

Whoa… That’s Gleaming?! I remember when she was half that tall! She’s really grown fast since the last time I saw her and-

Wait, she’s wearing golden armor. Did she get hired into the royal guards while I was gone?

No, wait… seeing her like this is reminding me of something… important

… !

Oh! I remember now! She was the guard who barged in when I told Solaris that I wasn’t a slave! I helped her avoid face planting into broken shards! Wow... How did I not put together that that Gleaming Shield and Dusk’s Gleaming Shield were the same pony?!

Was I really that out of it today?

“What brings you around to your old stomping ground, kiddo?” Dusk Lyons asks jovially, stepping closer. “Guard Barracks not feeding you right?”

“No they are, dad,” Gleaming reports with a salute, and a light giggle. Stepping away from her mother, she begins to use magic to remove her armor. “I just had a weird day, so I wanted to swing by and say hi.”

“... Huh?" the sole male in the room's questions. "But... if you're only here to say hi... why are you taking off your gear then?”

Struggling slightly with the last strap, the guardmare grips it with her teeth and tugs.

“Because I heard through the grapevine that you might be getting a little visitor tonight," is her reply...

... Or I think that's what she said.

Thanks to the fabric in her mouth the words had come out a bit more muffled and a lot less... coherent.

Now working on her helmet, not seeing the need to repeat herself, the mare keeps going as she levitates this final piece aside. “If it’s who I think it is, then I wanted to see if-”

Fwump!

A word to the wise; if you ever find yourself reincarnated as a unicorn, please please please look where you're slinging your magic around.

You don't want to accidentally use some poor baby dragon as a hat rack, do you?

Having realized that her helm's resting place sounded a whole lot more scaly then she had expected, Gleaming's explanation halts as she turns to investigate the oddity.

I stare back at her the best I can through my ill-fitting head gear.

"..."

"..."

"... Snrk..."

With a repressed chuckle to herself, the pony removes her helmet from my head and locks her eyes on my own.

“... Like I was saying," she resumes the conversation with her parents... though she does so while still looking my way. "I wanted to see if it was okay if I stayed for dinner.”

With grin growing, she approaches closer.

“Long time no see, Barb," she greets, now putting all of her focus on me. "How’s my favorite dragon doing?”

Unprepared to be addressed so soon again after Eve, I open my mouth and try to think of something to say.

Ggggrrrr

My empty stomach beats me to the punch.

R-really regretting not eating Solaris’ offered gemstone now. I blush as everypony’s ears perk up at the sound of my starvation.

“...”

… Twinkletwinkletwinkle

As I turn away, trying to hide my embarrassment, the sound of magic sparking fills the room. I try to ignore my curiosity and remain aloof, just so I could maintain a tiny smidgen of my pride, but I quickly find myself unable to keep up the act.

The sight of a delicious looking sapphire floating tantalizingly across my vision is a hard one to ignore.

Knocked off guard by the strangeness, I turn back towards the gathered ponies and discover Gleaming’s horn glowing brightly, and her smile turning soft.

“Thanks for the save earlier at the castle,” she speaks kindly, voice brimming with gratitude. “Scars look better on a stallion’s face, not a mare’s. I owe you.”

She then cuts off her magic, allowing the gem to plop into my claws.

“Hope they’re your favorite,” she beams, radiating a wonderful warmth I haven’t felt in far too long. “I’ve brought plenty.”

“...”

… I look at the gem for a brief moment...

Munchmunchmunch!!

… before digging into it greedily and noisily. Oh god how I’ve missed gems! Misses Red only gave me freaking tiger stones to eat!

Those aren’t even gems, people! They’re crystals!

That’s like feeding a starving woman with breadcrumbs instead of bread!

“Hehe… Now don’t go giving her too many treats before dinner, Gleam,” Eve Sparkle playfully chides her daughter, laughing at our interaction. Before heading back into the kitchen, she adds, “And, yes, you’re free to join us. I’m making hayburgers~!” With that she departs the room and Dusk Lyons, wanting to finish making the guest bed, soon follows suit.

Now left alone with me, Gleaming Shield's smile droops as she stares at the door to the kitchen with an... unreadable expression...

... Huh?

“Treats?” she asks herself, mulling over her mother's words. “But… gems aren't treats. Dusty says they're super important to dragon diets…”

The blue maned mare then turns back to me.

“Prince Solaris brought some gems for you to eat while you're staying with my parents... right?” she questions, concern evident in her tone.

“... No,” I mumble back, not wanting to think about it. Splitting my attention between her and my pre-meal meal, I offer the best answer I can give with my minimal Ponish vocab. “No gems. Just self.”

“Just self?” Gleaming parrots, flabbergasted. “You don’t have any bags?”

I shake my head no, and continue munching.

“No bags…? Really?"

"Nothing to bring," I shrug upon swallowing.

Twinkletwinkletwinkle

Before I could get too self-conscious of what my tired mind was admitting, Gleaming fishes out another sapphire from her bag and hooves it over.

As I accept it and start eating, it barely registers with me that the unicorn's face is beyond stunned.

"Barb..." she stammers, acting as if she's trotting on eggshells. "Do you..."

She gulps.

"D-do you... own anything to your name?" she at last asks. I don't catch her expression as I keep on munching away. "Toys? Books? Clothes?”

“Dresses,” I work up the will to answer, though I don't meet her gaze as I add, “Burned them all,” to the end of my report.

“...”

… Gleaming Shield then stops asking questions, and instead chooses to lay down beside me as I ate in silence.

Eventually dinner started, and eventually it was finished in equal silence. Gleaming’s parents asked her a bunch of questions about how her new job was going, and she answered them in good spirit, but she always went quiet when her eyes wandered towards me.

I'm unsure whether Eve or Dusk Lyons noticed this, but I certainly did.

A few hours pass in a flash, and soon I find myself being carried off to my temporary bed. Gleaming was kind enough to be the one to tuck me in, and wish me goodnight, but before she left the room…

“Stay,” I plead to her, causing her to halt. “Please stay. D-don’t want to be alone.”

"..."

... Gleaming approaches my bedside without another word.

“Of course, Barb,” she whispers, running a hoof through my spines. “I’m right here… Do you want me to read you a bedtime story?”

The adult in me indignantly grunts no.

The scared child that is me says, “Yes.”

With a nod of her head, the mare reaches down into her saddle bags and fishes around for something. A moment later she pulls out a hefty tome…

… and blushes.

“Oops,” she stutters, displeased with what she had grabbed. “Must have left my comic books in my other bag… Eh. Guess this will have to do.”

Sitting up in my bed, I scoot over as she cracks open the book and presents its contents fully for me to digest.

“This creature is called a Squizard,” the huge dork explains, taking on what I can only assume to be an ‘epic’ sounding voice. “A multiarmed spellcaster who wishes for nothing else but to sink kingdoms into the briny depths...”

Using her magic, she takes out a tiny figurine of a minotaur and poses it 'menacingly' in front of the cartoon image.

“... However, brave adventurers always put a stop to her evil ways!” she finishes, making adorable slashing noises as she tilts the figure back and forth in imaginary combat.

It’s equal parts absurd and genuine.

I love it.

I show my appreciation by granting her a girly laugh, even as a yawn threatens to overtake it.

Turning the page, Gleaming goes on. “Mighty Cerberus can’t stand before a hero’s might either!”

Another wiggle of the game piece and yet another monster meets its end.

Flip

“Nor can a tatzelwurm!”

Flip

“Or a landwyrm!”

Flip

“And especially not-”

The last page reveals itself to be a two page spread.

Said spread is of Nightterror Nebula.

“OH COME ON!”

There’s a... ripple in the air.

It’s powerful enough to stir me from my position.

“What the?” I ask myself, only to instantly realize that my Ponish is much better now. I’m no longer lisping, and I don’t feel nearly as tiny.

Sure enough, looking down at myself, I can see that I’m my usual age again, not five. I’m still in the Shine Household’s spare bedroom though, and Gleaming is still how I remember her from those few years ago. She’s frozen in place, however... and in fact it feels like the entire world is equally as stuck in time.

“What... W-what’s going on?” I question, feeling my tiredness slowly fading. “Why am I back here with-

“Er… D-don’t think about that.”

!!!

That voice! I… I-I’ve been hearing that voice this entire time! It’s been influencing my thoughts, and directing me on where to go! How long have we been at it..?

... The tone he's using indicates that I've not been all that compliant to its demands, so at least that's good. I don't know how much he's learned already though... Hopefully not enough to grant him any leverage over me.

I'd hate for him to stop what I'm about to do next.

“Don’t think about what?, Mr. Voice?” I snap at the unseen force. Jumping off of the bed, I choose to explore the small room I find myself in.

The voice is faint, but it doesn’t feel all that far off when I stop to listen.

“I don't know what you're talking about, Mr. Voice," I poke again, looking all around. "You should be more specific with your requests! Didn't your mother ever teach you to speak clearly?”

"Hey don’t back sass us thou little-, Grrrrr… Return to the story time, child. Aren’t thou curious as to who the lovely Gleaming Shield will 'slay' next in her tale?”

“Not really,” I reply, now placing my claws on the walls and feeling around. “I already know who's next in that book anyways. It’s the bite-acuda, followed by the bufogren, followed by a slingtail... The Ogres and Oubliettes Monster Manual doesn’t believe in silly little things like ‘creature order', Mr. Voice, but that doesn’t matter because I practically memorized it thanks to that kind nerdy mare's bedtime stories. Those were some real good memories I made…

“... but I’m wondering why I’m reliving them all of a sudden.”

"N… n-no reason,” the voice responds, his nervousness becoming palpable as well as louder. "Just a happy coincidence.”

“... Really?” I deadpan, moving away from the walls.

Nothing there… but it still feels like I'm getting closer.

“It’s just a coincidence that I’ve been bouncing between my memories at random with no rhyme or reason?”

“... Yes.”

I grant the ceiling a stink eye.

“...”

“...”

“...”

"... Thou art mistaken in assuming that there is a rhyme or reason for this happenstance!" the voice huffs angrily, getting defensive. "Retire to yon bed, and take a well earned sleep.”

“Have you slept on rubber sheets before, dude?” I shoot back with arms crossed, stepping closer to where I think this not-so-mystery culprit is hiding. “They’re hot as sin, and the very definition of uncomfortable. Give me a basket any day of the week instead.”

"... We can bring a basket if that would make things more comfortable...”

“No,” I decline, stealthily approaching the closet door.

"P-please go to bed.”

“No,” I repeat, making sure my clawed toes weren’t clicking on the bedroom floor. “There’s too much strangeness going on here to just be a coincidence.”

"B-but it is just that!”

“Nope,” I counter, mentally retracting my steps; noticing how the voice is getting even louder as I take actual steps forward. “First I was writing in my diary, then I was playing with Sweepy and Scooter, after that Red Gala… then someone precious... and finally Gleaming Shield… Do you know what all these memories had in common, Mr. Voice?”

"... They… t-they all involved spending time doing what thou loves doing!" they suggest, proving that they think I have the intelligence of an actual child. "Huzzah! Mystery solved! Perhaps the opportunity to experience more will present itself upon laying down in bed?”

“Mmmmm, yeeeaaahhh… Nice try, Mr. Voice," I call him out, backing him into a corner verbally while my body works on the physical part. "But your guess is way off.”

One of my claws is now resting on the door handle to the closet.

“I distinctly recall somepony mentioning something about a vision,” I disclose, the memory becoming sharper as the fog lifts from my mind. “And I remember this same pony becoming quite upset when I mistook it for envision and sent myself into the memory of one of my O&O sessions.”

Maybe I’m imagining it...

... but I think I just heard a gulp.

Sensing that I now have the initiative, I push harder. “There was also a pretty easy to spot trend where the scene would change after a certain something happened… Were you able to pick up on what this something was, Mr. Voice?”

"W-well we-”

“Did, you, pick, up, on, it?” I snarl, tightening my grip on the door handle.

The voice goes silent.

Content with my victory, I perform the coup de grâce.

"There was one pony present in all of these memories in one form or another… and I think you know who it was.

“You know because you are them, Mr. Nightterror Nebul-”

“WE ARE NOT THE NIGHTTERROR, CHILD! WE ARE THE VERY PRINCE OF THE-”

Before he could yell fully at my jab, I throw open the closet door and glare at the pony inside.

Prince Artemis, halting mid-rant, simply stares back like a deer in the headlights.

“...”

“...”

“... We... can explain, Barbara.”

...

... I take a nice deep breath to calm my nerves...

◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠◠

~Journal Entry 0049~

Barbara The Dragoness taught us much about herself today, and in doing so we learned a fair bit about ourself as well.

We are grateful, in a way, but if we were forced into taking not but one minuscule piece of this treasure trove home it would most assuredly be this: A dragon whose hoard is built of secrets possesses power that can rival even a Prince's...

... as well as a mean right hook.

Ow.

PreviousChapters Next