• Published 15th Mar 2015
  • 9,007 Views, 239 Comments

Midnight's Radiance - MrAlterad



Three best friends are reunited after a year of following their own dreams. Just in time to welcome back Celestia, who refuses to lower the sun...

  • ...
6
 239
 9,007

5. Radiant Dusk

Poetry and Prose, Chapter 7.3: The Lonely Sun - Sunset

Their comp'ny spent, the two content.

Shadow and Light, friendship twilight.

At longest sunset's rest, that friendly bond was put to test.

From Shadow's will, the Light did spill.

As dark turned bright, shadow learned fright

The loyal one led way, to rad'ant gleaming end of day.

The Moon harked night, Shadow fled sight.

To whence it came, refuge from same.

The sun bid fond farewell, in hopes shadow's dark sins could quell.

For shadow had saved sun from living life alone as one.

~~~~~~~~~~

Sunset Shimmer didn't need to open her eyes to figure out that she was back inside the shadow snare. Her body felt heavy, and her thoughts were cloudy, as she slowly collected herself. A small part of her was content with the notion of letting the fatigue she brought upon herself take her, but she quelled that desire, making her brow furrow as she took in a deep breath. Her eyes then popped open, as the act of furrowing her brow lit the nerves around her horn on fire. Wincing at her carelessness, she slowly got up, feeling light headed, as she took in her surroundings.

She was still on the observation tower, and was greeted with a wide view of Equestria that wasn't her own. This Equestria was a land lacking color, a land that was undoubtedly made of her memories, as well as Shadow Flare's. It also had a foreboding border, which Sunset was certain wasn't there last time. A distance away, around the base of the mountain, was a black fog, and Sunset was under the impression that it was getting closer.

Like a cloud, it was hard to pick up the subtle changes in its shape and distance, seeming to be completely different from before if she stopped looking at it for only a moment. She then heard a familiar voice clear her throat from behind her, prompting Sunset to let out an annoyed sigh.

'You know, when you said there wouldn't be a second time, I kind of believed you,' Her other self said snidely, making Sunset whip around to glare at her. She immediately regretted the action, causing her horn to flare again, and almost losing her balance. To her surprise, her other self helped from falling over. 'Nice one, by the way. Falling for her trick and all.'

“S-Shut up! I got swept away in the moment, okay!”

'Right, well, no point crying over that now,' she said as she let out a sigh, 'Let's work on getting you out of here.'

Get me out of here? If she's me, then wouldn't she leave with me? Sunset thought as she appraised her other self.

“Were you here the whole time?” Sunset asked, getting a nod from her other self. “Then how are you me? How do I know you're not Shadow Flare out to trick me again?”

'I don't know how to convince you. But I am you.' She adopted a determined look that momentarily surprised Sunset Shimmer.

Is that what I look like when I'm fired up? Sunset thought, a little impressed with how she looked, Is, is that part of being radiant? she wondered as she indulged in a moment of narcissism.

'That's what I believe,' Sunset's other self stated, then frowned as she looked at Sunset, 'And stop thinking those thoughts, it's embarrassing.' Sunset briefly flushed as her other self continued, 'I don't think I'm Shadow Flare, I'm just Sunset Shimmer. I'm you, but I'm also different.'

“How?”

'When you first came, it felt like I woke up from a long sleep. When you left, I fell asleep again. Our emotions run on the same wavelength, but there's a big difference in what we prioritize.'

“Huh? We didn't even talk that much, yet you picked that up from that?” Sunset asked, getting a nod from her other self.

'You didn't want to deal with coming to terms with your flaws, and how you treat others important to you. I did.'

“There were more important things at the time,” Sunset quickly replied, “Kinda needed to get free of Shadow Flare and save Equestria.”

'And we see how well that turned out,' she replied as she raised an eyebrow at Sunset, getting an annoyed sigh from the mare.

“Right, so, assuming you're not Shadow Flare, I guess teleporting three times is out of the question now," Sunset admitted as she rubbed her horn, "Do you know of another way?” Sunset asked, getting a shrug in response.

'I can only guess, and my guesses are no better than yours. There's also the possibility that there is no way out now,' she offered with a worried look, eyeing the black fog enveloping the base of the mountain, 'And I don't think we'll have enough time for you to recover your magic before that reaches you.'

“...Is that—”

'Shadow Flare.' Her other self affirmed, and they both looked to the fog for a moment, and as they did, a thought occurred to Sunset, and her other self immediately adopted an annoyed look.

“You're my shadow,” Sunset declared, hoping she was right, but doubting that was the case.

'You're just grasping at straws,' her other self proclaimed, 'You know that's silly. If ponies had shadows that could do what Shadow Flare does, we'd know about it. Or at the very least, Twilight would. Besides, do I look like some creepy black fog?' She shook her head as she continued, 'All that stuff about your radiance casting a shadow was nothing more than a metaphor, she didn't mean it literally, and we both know it.'

“It's still a better guess as to what you are than anything else that's been offered.”

'Well, maybe I'm a part of your subconscious, trying to protect you from the ill effects of the shadow snare?' she offered weakly.

“You really don't know?”

'I wouldn't really keep if from myself,' she stated as she gave Sunset a side-glance, 'So, we just gonna stand here, or are we going to act?' Sunset looked to the fog down below, then to the rest of Canterlot.

If I get moving, I'll probably be shown the memories of others again... Now trapped, she still found herself unwilling to continue through Canterlot and trigger whatever was waiting for her.

'Scared?' her other self asked, with a touch of concern.

“Is there any point? I get it, I'm not a good friend. What's the point of wandering into other memories if I already know that.”

'If you already know, then why are you hesitating? Either way, we're not the kind of pony that stands still while there's something to do. We both know you're going to start moving forward sooner or later, so why not get an early start? Who knows, maybe we'll find a way out of here.'

“We don't know unless we try, right?” Sunset replied, thinking back on Luna's old advice. My friends are still outside, waiting for me. Shadow Blitz must have seen my capture. If they're working to rescue me, then I need to try and help! The shadow snare must keep some part of Shadow Flare occupied! A fire in her eyes, she looked to the fog, and it seemed to quiver under her look, prompting it to pick up speed, which made Sunset grin slightly. “Alright, let's get this over with.” With that, she turned around, looking to head down the stairs.

Instead, she found herself in the hall outside of the room Spike was raised in. So I don't need to teleport to reach the next patch of memories? Does Shadow Flare want me to see these memories, or is my psyche that self abusing? Sunset wondered worriedly as she briefly looked out the castle's windows, noting the progress of the fog as memories of ponies she had long forgotten flew by her.

Memories of two royal guards, a stallion and mare, who were assigned to guard this part of the hall at alternating shifts. The mare was a kind, hard, dutiful worker. Sunset always liked her, and now she found it troubling that she didn't even know the guards name. The stallion, however, she saw as somepony beneath her. He was a slacker, and she made every opportunity to affirm that to him, showing him no respect. The mare was happy to greet Sunset, the stallion was always left with concealed annoyance, and an ounce of shame.

'We're rather harsh to anypony we consider a slacker,' her other self affirmed, 'Remember how you started to warm up to Trixie after-'

“Yes yes I know,” Sunset interrupted. She didn't mind if other ponies didn't like her. The anger and shame she brought to strangers has never bothered Sunset, it was simply how she was. The fact that she didn't know the mare guard's name was what bothered her about these memories. “What happened to her?” She had been there for several years, then one day, wasn't there anymore. And Sunset never noticed, and that filled her with shame.

'I don't know. I guess Shadow Flare didn't care about her either. Looks like we have that in common.' That made Sunset adopt a dark scowl, the truth of those words keeping her mouth shut. 'We're mean, rude, and shallow to those we don't respect. And we're inconsiderate to those that we do respect. We're so busy trying to shine, that we don't pay attention to those around us. We're very self centered.' Hearing that from herself seemed to add a certain weight to those facts, prompting Sunset to let out a weak sigh.

“Everypony knows that, you don't need to repeat it for my sake.” Her other self's words prompted Sunset to recall her interaction with Applejack earlier in the day, and how brash she had been to the mayor of Ponyville. Applejack was somepony worthy of respect, yet, Sunset didn't see that till after having interacted with her for a bit. Sunset had to wonder, how many others had she treated that way, who were never given the chance to show their worth...

Choosing not to linger on the thought in favor of progressing, she looked to the door to Spike's old room, now beginning to worry as to what way she's been a hindrance to him. Adopting a determined look, she opened the door, and entered, being struck with nostalgia as she saw all the old and familiar takings of the room. A collection of Spike's things, a few of Cadance's affects, things left behind by Twilight, Trixie and herself.

As she took in the room, Spike's memories greeted her, and what she saw made her eyes water. A filly version of herself, dutifully taking care of him, Cadance overlooking them both with a beautiful smile. She saw herself feeding Spike his first crystals, teaching him how to write, playing with him, giving him a bath, sleeping with Sunset, enjoying her warmth. Twilight and Trixie were also in these memories, helping out, making Spike smile. There wasn't a single memory of her putting Spike down. Despite her age, she tried her best to be the best for her baby dragon, and it all seemed a matter of course.

'Yes. We're very self centered...' her other self repeated, a smile on her face as Sunset looked to her. 'Spike was our responsibility. We hatched him, after all. So we put our everything to taking care of him. We had to stay up late many times to catch up on studies. We were always busy, but we always managed. And we did so, because we didn't do it alone.'

As if on cue, Cadance's memories welcomed Sunset. In hindsight, there were times when Sunset had been pushy with her, even outright mean, assuming that she knew what was best for Spike. Yet, Cadance took it all in with a smile. She never once faltered under Sunset's light, and was always kind. Cadance wasn't that much older than Sunset, only a few years, yet the pink pegasus seemed to carry a wisdom about her that reminded Sunset of Luna. Sunset always felt like she was a step below Cadance, and it annoyed her, but she didn't dislike Cadance. If anypony managed to press Sunset on who she considered her third friend to be, she'd reluctantly admit that it was Cadance.

'It's nice to see that not everyone we've ever met was put down by our radiance.' Sunset's other self said with a teasing tone, making Sunset take up a small smile. She then glanced out the window, her eyes widening when she saw that the fog was significantly closer, now clouding half of Canterlot.

“It's getting closer! Let's-” she turned around, and found herself in Twilight's home. Even more alarmed than before, she looked out a nearby window, seeing the fog was no closer, even though Twilight's home was in the part of Canterlot that was fogged up. So, it's proximity is in relation to me? Sunset wondered as she started to look around. “Why are we here? I've already seen Twilight's memories.”

'Twilight wasn't the only pony living here, you know.' Those words beckoned up the memories of a particular colt, only these were not Shining Armor's memories, but Sunset's.

It started off as an adorable crush. She saw Twilight's brother, and immediately found him handsome. From there, the fact that he was kind of dorkish helped cement those initial feelings. Sunset then saw other memories correlating to her draw to Shining Armor.

The way the other colts treated her, and later in her years, how other stallions treated her. Envy, jealousy, deception, greed. Becoming Luna's student lowered her interaction with other colts and fillies, and when she did interact with others, it was during some sort of political affair. The noble's foals looking to converse with Luna's students during important issues.

Of all the colts and stallions Sunset has encountered, only Shining Armor treated her like an equal. There were a small number of others who had done the same, chance encounters on the streets of Canterlot, but none of them earned Sunset's attention. And looking to those others, Sunset saw herself from their eyes. A mare that was not worth the effort, a prude, or somepony on a level above them. Seeing herself in that light both annoyed, and depressed Sunset. Still, there was only one stallion she had her eyes on, so she wasn't too bothered by that. Shining Armor saw Sunset when she was at her worst, yet he never seemed too bothered by it.

'Yeah ... he's pretty amazing,' her other self quickly affirmed with a radiant smile, 'I mean, he's always played as the heroic knight in O&O, and now he's captain of the royal guard! He managed to become his aspiration, how is that not amazing!?' Sunset found herself carrying the same smile.

That's what she truly liked about him. He was a hard worker, just like she was. And thinking on it, she noticed that he had practically all the qualities she preferred in a stallion, a fact which made her blush slightly as she thought on it. Strong shoulders, smart, a little bit of a dork, willing to tolerate her failings, and a hard worker. Thinking about him, she found herself looking around eagerly in anticipation. Her smile then slowly faded as she appraised their location.

“So, what, I'm not allowed to see his memories?” Sunset said with a hint of annoyance.

'Well, I guess since we want to see them...' her other self stated with a small sigh.

“So, that's how it is,” Sunset affirmed as she looked back out the window, seeing the fog now having reached the streets nearby. “And it looks like I'm just about out of time. I guess this was just a waste.”

'If you think so...' her other self said with a slight smile, 'I hope everything works out tomorrow,' She stated, clearly amused, reminding Sunset of an imminent date, and bringing on worry for the stallion in question. 'There's one place left.' Her other self added, prompting Sunset to give her a confused look.

Sunset's heart then skipped a beat as she suddenly found herself standing outside a home not too dissimilar to Twilight's. The door was open and inviting, and Sunset hesitated, the fog on the streets getting closer by the second. It was the home she was raised in. His home. Her eyes shifted between the open door, and the encroaching fog, and didn't know which she preferred.

'Stop being like that and go in,' her other self demanded as she looked to the closing fog.

“But-”

'Move!' her other self ordered, pushing Sunset towards the door. Sunset resisted, then was caught by surprise as she was levitated through the doorway.

She can still use magic!? Sunset thought as she was unceremoniously dropped onto the floor. She looked to the doorway, where her other self stood, giving her a reassuring smile, as the fog behind her started to envelope her. Before she vanished into the dark, she closed the door, trapping Sunset within. Alone, her eyes focused on the door, as she began hoping that her other self was going to be okay, and tried to avoid imagining what would befall her other self now that she was in the black fog.

Okay, Sunset warily thought, trying to collect herself, Shadow Flare's right outside the door, and I'm stuck in my least favorite place in all of Equestria. Darn it, if only I could use my magic! But nooo! I had to fall for her stupid trick and let my stubborn efforts make me a sitting duck for this stupid maze of self discovery! Good job! Good job, Sunset Shimmer!

If her other self was still here, she'd be glaring at her right now. Sunset then blinked, realizing that she wasn't doing a very good job at collecting herself. Letting out a long sigh, she slowly turned around, expecting the be flooded by memories of her and her father at any moment.

She wasn't disappointed, as she was immediately assaulted by her oldest memory. The first time she'd cast telekinesis, and the proud smile her father had given her. A smile that cemented a drive in the young Sunset Shimmer. She practiced, learned, and together, she and her father discovered of her strength with magic. At first, he was even more proud of her, amazed by what she could do at such a young age. But as time passed by, that smile was shown less and less often, so Sunset would try harder and harder to bring it back. At some point, that proud smile, was exchanged for an enviously look. But by then, Sunset had stopped trying to earn his smile.

She had once worked to impress him, but as the bond between the two stretched, she found herself working to best herself. At some point, she couldn't stand looking at him anymore, always seeing traces of that look which separated them. So she looked for a way to strike her own independence from him, and when the opportunity presented itself, she took it for all it was worth.

Now, Sunset Shimmer was looking to the last memory she had of him. The morning she left for the castle, with all her possessions. She had gotten up extra early, for the walk from his home to the castle was a long one, and she hoped to leave before he got up, and slip away without even a goodbye. All of her things levitating with her, she hesitated as she was about to reach the door. He was standing next to it, scrutinizing Sunset, as well as her possessions.

“Leaving?” he asked in a neutral tone, prompting Sunset to look away from him, eyeing the ground.

“Yes, I gotta go to the castle. I won't be back anytime soon,” she said as he nodded slowly.

“Alright then,” and with that, he opened the door for her. She looked to him for a long moment, and he avoided her gaze. With nothing but silence between them, Sunset left, her things floating behind her, and she didn't look back, as the door closed. The memory continued, informing Sunset that it wasn't her memory, but his. He stood there, alone in the cold home, looking to the door, as he quietly muttered something that made Sunset's heart catch in her throat.

“Take care of yourself.”

He said it with such a caring tone, while wearing a sad smile. Yet, in that smile, was something Sunset hadn't expected to see. Pride.

Sunset felt tears start to trickle down her cheeks as she looked to where her father stood, as the memory vanished. She had feared this home, because she was afraid to learn that he still loved her. She didn't need to be shown memories of him dealing with his envy, or the self loathing he tackled for feeling that way for his own daughter. Those words confirmed a truth that Sunset had hidden from herself for years.

She shielded herself in believing that she was the only one hurt by the distance between them. That the cold departure on that day was the end of it, and she'd never have to see that envious look in his eyes ever again. And now, that shield was broken, and with it gone, she couldn't help but cry. Sunset sat down, eyeing the floor as she realized she had absolutely no idea how he was faring these days. Whether or not he still lived in Canterlot. If he still cared about her, or if he was in good health.

And as she sat there, thinking of how terrible, how inconsiderate she was, the door opened. She didn't look up as the sound of hooves striking the floor came closer to her, and she didn't even flinch when her foe spoke.

“Now you see. Every light casts a shadow, and the shadow born of your radiance, is envy. You envied the bonds others had, and your light made others envious of you. The little filly that became a student to Princess Luna, whose power is so great that she can even move the sun. Do you understand now?” Sunset listened eagerly, turning her regret into anger as she took in Shadow Flare's words.

“Understand what? That I'm not perfect?” Sunset asked as she looked to Shadow Flare, caught off guard by what was standing before her. It had Shadow Flare's body, but it was completely pitch black, with no distinguishing traces of form besides the silhouette. There were no eyes to mark her face, she was just a large pony made completely of darkness.

“I mean, do you now understand your destiny?”

“You seem to think it's ruling Equestria.”

“Correct.” She then offered her hoof to Sunset, “Together, we shall form a pact, and rule Equestria.” Sunset glanced from her offered hoof, then back to her face.

“And doing that frees Celestia?” Sunset asked snidely, getting a nod in return.

“Not only that, but the sun will become yours, and together we'll guide Equestria to a prosperous future.” Shadow Flare stated, prompting Sunset to shake her head.

“In case you didn't notice, I'm a very independent pony. You're not my friend, you're not even an acquaintance! You're my enemy, so why should I do anything with you!?”

“Because of the possibilities. Just as Celestia and I are one, you and I shall become one, and you'll have a power beyond imagining at your grasps. You can free Luna and her Shadowbolts, letting the two sisters reunite while we rule in their stead. We can cast aside the useless nobility, cement Equestria's dominance in the world, and ensure that everypony we know will have happy lives.” The passion behind Shadow Flare's words was a little compelling, but it didn't stop Sunset from rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, right. That sounds too good to be true. I'm not going to form a pact with you, so stop wasting my time and let me out of here!” Sunset demanded, and she could feel as though Shadow Flare was giving her a cross look.

Do you think you can change?”

“Huh?”

“If I let you out, do you think you'll change? You knew that hatching that dragon egg would close off your father's heart from you, yet you still did it. You knew that you were growing distant from your friends, and they were growing distant from you. Yet, you didn't do anything about it. Do you honestly think that'll change if I let you go?”

Sunset hesitated to answer, unsure if anything would change. Together, they'd find a way to take down Shadow Flare, probably with the Elements of Harmony, and then after that, everything would return to normal. For a few weeks, she would reach out for her friends, and it would look like things were improving, but then she'd get washed away in some new project, and the distance would grow again.

Sunset could picture that with such ease, that it greatly troubled her, and she couldn't help but feel Shadow Flare smiling at her for it.

“By becoming one with me, you can save your friendships. I'll grant you the courage to apologize to your father. I can shield you from your envy, and save you from your own radiance, just as I did for Celestia,” Shadow Flare assured, making Sunset scoff at her.

“You saved Celestia? But you were both banished!” Sunset pointed out, making Shadow Flare shake her head.

“Celestia made the pact to shield herself from her loneliness. Now, she isn't alone, and when I leave her, she will continue to be content, for I have helped her with her shadow. As I will for you, when we become one.”

Sunset couldn't deny, that the offer was tempting. Unfortunately for Shadow Flare, Sunset Shimmer was never one to take the easy path. She may drift from her friends. She may never gather the courage to apologize to her father. But she would rather face those problems on her terms, alone. Not with the aide of something trying to coerce her into giving up her freedom.

“The answer is still no, so get lost!”

“So, you'd betray your friends, and Equestria, on the hope that the Elements of Harmony will defeat me?”

Wait, she knows we're getting the Elements!?

“I'm not betraying anypony! I don't need help taking care of my problems. They're MY problems, my responsibility! It may be hard, being myself while also keeping my friends close, but I've accomplished harder things, so I'll manage, without you!” Sunset declared. There was a slight pause following her words, and she could almost feel animosity radiating off of Shadow Flare.

“Maybe you don't understand what it is I'm offering to save you from,” Shadow Flare stated as she took a step forward, the fog from outside suddenly seeping into the home, quickly surrounding Sunset, who tried to summon her magic to defend herself, only to bring about a headache that almost made her fall over. “Behold, the envy your light has cast!”

The fog closed in around her, and at the moment, Sunset understood why the shadow snare made her go through all those memories. It was a warm-up, to this moment. Countless ponies she's never met before, in Canterlot, Manehattan, Ponyville, all places within Equestria, all of their envy over the years was forced upon Sunset Shimmer, in an instant.

A filly unicorn whose magic was below average, hearing of the radiant Sunset Shimmer, Disciple of the Moon, and her amazing talents as Luna's student. Some mare imagining that Sunset got all the stallions she ever wanted, and cursing her luck. Countless memories like those, all clumped together into a mass seeking to drown Sunset, and under its barrage, she learned something new about herself.

She actually did care about what other ponies thought of her. She thought she was above the opinions of others, but now she knew just how wrong she was. Her desire to impress her father eventually extended to her friends and Luna. And a very small part of it extended beyond them. She didn't like being called a Disciple of the Moon because she didn't feel like she'd earned it, yet that was what everypony else referred to her as. The opinions of others mattered to her, just a little bit. And now that these memories were being forced upon her, that 'just a little bit' quickly added up to an overwhelming amount.

And it wasn't just envy that Sunset saw, her radiance also brought about jealousy and bitterness. It felt like years, even though it had only been moments, but when the fog backed away, Sunset stood there, her face locked in shock, tears streaming down her face. As the memories faded from her mind, she wavered on her hooves a moment, before slumping to the ground. Though it was her mind that was assaulted, her body felt heavy, and her breathing was ragged.

Shadow Flare stood before her again, patiently waiting as Sunset slowly collected herself.

That... is my shadow? Sunset thought through the haze the assault had left her in. Is that all I'm good for? Casting envy? Shining bright, all alone...? She looked up to Shadow Flare with tired eyes, who looked back to her.

“I can free you from all that. All you have to do, is say yes. You'll gain everything you've ever wanted, and discard all the troublesome things your light has brought about.”

If ... I say yes. I, won't be myself anymore. How can I be with Twilight, Trixie, or Spike, if I'm not me...? She lay there for several moments as she pieced together a realization that brought about a bitter taste in her mouth. I ... can't beat her on my own. No, it's not just Shadow Flare. The distance between my friends. By myself, I can't close that gap, not without them. She mentally nodded to herself, seeing the truth of it. I-I'm going to need their help. She lay there, mentally exhausted, yet, the notion of asking them for aid didn't seem as bad as she had thought it would be. I ... need their help? She adopted a small smile, Yes... I want us to stay together, so the least I can do for them, is swallow my pride ... and ask them.

“Well, Sunset Shimmer, shall we end this?” Shadow Flare asked as she moved closer, offering her hoof, “Just take my hoof.” Sunset weakly looked to her, and tried to get on her hooves, and though she could slowly feel her strength return, she was unable to get up, even in this mentally fabricated world. Still, she found the strength to express exactly what her heart wanted.

“No.”

What?”

“It's... a two letter word...” Sunset replied with a weak, yet sly smile, immediately inciting an angered response.

“You stubborn fool! You should just yield! Can't you see that it's best for you, your friends, and Equestria!?”

“A part of me really wants to... A small part, that wants to take it easy, and make everypony happy... But, how will that help me reconcile with Twilight? Trixie? I'll become a princess, more powerful than Luna. And that, will be a distance they'll never be able to cross... After all I've done to them. H-How could I? The distance between us is already too big.”

Sunset fell silent for a moment as she collected her breath, “I know I'm selfish, and stubborn. But, darn it, I want to keep them close. And if I'm going to change, I want that change to bring me closer to them. Not further from them. So, my answer, is still, no. T-they're my friends. And without them," Sunset paused, her voice catching as she managed to get on her hooves, giving Shadow Flare a determined glare, "Without them, I ... I'm nothing... So, no.” She took a deep breath, gathering herself as she affirmed her stance. “No! NO! I'll keep saying no, as long as I can! So get away from me! I'll have nothing to do with you, because the only thing you'll do, is tear me away from them! And without them, I have nothing!"

'Well said, my other self!' Sunset heard from behind, prompting her and Shadow Flare to look in unison. Her other self stood there, her horn giving off a fierce red glow. 'Let's get out of here!' And Sunset, acting on an unexpected compulsion, turned to her other self, who quickly moved forward, touching her horn to hers, and upon contact, a red light radiated out in all directions. Sunset couldn't help but smile as she heard Shadow Flare let out a surprised cry, as color returned to everything around her, including herself. She didn't even have to look, to know that Shadow Flare had been cast out.

Feeling a light breeze, she blinked, feeling a little renewed with the return of color. Looking around, she saw that with the banishment of the fog, she was no longer in her father's home, but back on the observation tower, with the sun setting on the horizon. However, she felt as though she was still under the effects of the shadow snare, as if this was all a dream, rather than reality. To affirm that, she saw at her side, her other self, who was basking in the sun's glow.

“So, why didn't you do that earlier?” Sunset asked, her voice filled with a small amount of curiosity, and gratitude.

'I actually didn't know that I could. But, your words, your emotions, they filled me with power.' She then looked to Sunset, 'Our power,' she then looked back to the sunset with a smile, 'Our destiny. I am you, and you are me, and I know, you won't let our friends drift away. And it may take time, but I have faith, that you'll return to that house you left behind, filled with courage.' She started to glow, her body becoming translucent as she placed her hoof on Sunset's chest. 'You don't know it, but you have a really big heart. Spike and Cadance know, so does Luna. Take these words of advice from yourself, don't be afraid to share your heart with others.' She finished, as she completely faded away. And in her place, a warmth spread from Sunset's heart, making her smile as she nodded.

Sunset suddenly felt a weight around her neck, and looking to it, she found a gold necklace adorning it. The necklace had a red gemstone shaped as her cutie-mark at its center, and Sunset couldn't help but feel like she had somehow gained something important, as she looked back to the sunset.

She then felt that she wasn't alone. To both of her sides were two others, and without even looking, Sunset Shimmer was struck by a wave of deja-vu, seeing this scene before, feeling this sensation before. The night she got her cutie-mark, in a dream where she and four other ponies watched the sunset together, a smile radiating from each of them. Smiling to herself, Sunset closed her eyes, eager to awaken, and return to her friends.

Author's Note:

That moment of dread, before hitting the publish button. I don't think I'll ever free myself from it. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and found everything in it to be not offensive to the point where I need to change my home address. :twilightblush:
Thanks again for reading, and also:

Season 5! Wooo~~!!!!!!!:ajsmug::rainbowkiss::raritywink::twilightsmile::yay::pinkiehappy::moustache: