• Published 14th Mar 2015
  • 7,764 Views, 6,677 Comments

Putting on a Silver Robe and Wizard Hat - David Silver



Silver Lining, now wielding a cutie mark and an insatiable desire to learn and codify magic, has graduated from grade school and now faces the challenges of a magic academy as a young adult. This former-human is learning his place in Equestria.

  • ...
90
 6,677
 7,764

PreviousChapters Next
87 - Temporary Solutions

With the help of the umbrum, Luna quickly erected a dilapidated house. Its sketchy nature only added to its spooky allure. A rapid bit of work ran a rail through it, and she sat at one end, grinning like a filly trying to be good to earn some candy. "Step on up!" she boomed with the full voice of Equestrian authority. "Come and dare yourself to face the true horror within! Bring a loved one, you'll want their support!" She leaned forward towards a curious crystal pony standing there. Her voice lowered to a conspiratorial whisper, though still easily heard by many. "'Tis an excellent time for hugs when the alarming does occur."

Her pitch worked, and she got a few couples to fill the car and buckle into place. "We wouldn't want any precious and brave explorers to get lost in the pit of madness forever, now would we?" She flashed them a devilish grin. With a glow of her horn, she propelled them inside.

One of the stallions made a dismissive motion. "It can't be that bad. Princess Luna's known for being dramatic. I bet some fake eyeballs will drop from the ceiling or something."

Before them suddenly opened two huge gaping holes of quivering black, the darkness rolling off of them. The strangest part was that it was already dark, making it somehow blacker than black. "Welcome, friends." A big grin leered at them. "Welcome... to your dooms!" The car suddenly accelerated, carrying them through the visage as it laughed at them, bringing a few surprised squeaks from the ponies, and needed sustenance for the umbrum collected in the ride.

The umbrum, it seemed, could take on a variety of macabre forms once they were freed of the one visage they had become frozen in. They rose from the dead, looking like freshly animated corpses, rushed the car like hungry spectres, and carried on haunting harmonies together as only heads, blood oozing from their supposedly-severed necks as they sang together despite not having lungs or a chest.

Their 'victims' shrieked and laughed hysterically, the laugh of one trying to deny they're scared. There were hugs. There were some tears. By the time the car rolled out, the group was visibly shaken and many of them shivered. Luna nodded towards them, her horn ceasing its glow as they came to a halt. "You have survived, my brave little ponies. You should be proud!"

One of the mares sat up and thrust a hoof in the air. "I-I could handle it! You can't scare me that easily." She pulled her stallion out of the car. "If he wasn't so scared, I'd go again," she proclaimed, hiding her own terror in her bluster. They went off together, pressed close to one another.

A gaggle of small fillies and colts rushed the car next. "Us next, us next!"

Luna tilted her head at the small adventurers. "What small thrill-seekers are these? Do you have permission from your parents to endure such things, from which some ponies may never return?"

Soon they were buckled down into place, giggling and squirming. They were as loud as the ghosts they would face as the car began to move, making loud bets about who would scream first, and who would cry. Unlike the adults, some of them were normal ponies, not crystal at all, and they were quite confident they could be braver than the traditionally cowed crystal ponies.

They were proven wrong. The screams and shrieks of the children made the ponies outside flinch in worry. One of the parents locked eyes with Luna. "Our children are safe, right?"

Luna held up a hoof. "I would not willingly allow a foal to harm. Banish the thought. Mine own magic is surrounding their car, keeping them from any harm, no matter how hungry the ghosts may be."

In the end, only one pony suffered any harm, and that was an elder Luna attempted to dissuade, but was too stubborn. Fortunately, some quick attention got the aged stallion back to his hooves. He laughed it off in the end. "Guess the old ticker ain't what she used t'be!" He hobbled off as if nothing had happened. The evening was a success in the end, with every umbrum getting their chance to be creative with their scares, and not a single dark pixie belly left empty.

When the house was closed up, the umbrum came dancing out, whole and happy. One bounced up and down in front of Luna. "I have an idea! Instead of just using us as the scary parts, I bet we could make scary parts of the ride itself. Things that toss and turn, things that go fast, and fall. They'll scream with delight!"

The other umbrum nodded their heads in support as offers to help construct the umbrum's vision were quickly thrown into the pile.

Luna smiled at her new children. "Hold onto that thought. Your home will not be here. The Crystal Empire is not suited. Instead, I will bring you to Hollow Shades, home of the lunar ponies. You will be as cousins, both children of mine." She put a hoof to her chest. "And there you can build your thrilling experiences, to excite ponies, and feed yourselves."

A little tugging at her mane brought Luna's eyes down to a scholarly-looking umbrum with thick glasses on his smaller snout. "Excuse me, Your Highness, but what of us that don't want to run around scaring ponies, even if they enjoy it? I prefer talking."

Silver spoke up from where he had just been sitting and watching, "Then talk to scared ponies. You could help them face their fears, by taking the edge off of it, and letting them face towards it instead of running away from it."

The spectacled stallion tilted his head. "Oh... That... might work." He wandered off with a thoughtful expression, clearly considering.

Luna spread her hooves wide. "There are many ways you could help make Equestria a better place. Like any other pony, it is up to you to find your part, where you are happy and make others around you happier. This is an exciting time for you all, as a tribe. You're just discovering these niches for yourself, so experiment, and don't be afraid." She flashed a little grin. "That's for other ponies. You are fear, so it doesn't behoove you to fall for that trick."

She rose to her hooves. "Follow me. We have a train to catch. Ambassador, are you coming with us?"

Silver looked around. "Let me fetch Night. I'll be with you in a moment."

He trotted off in search of his wife, and she wasn't hard to find near the castle, speaking to Shining Armor. As he approached, she turned to him and smiled. "There he is. Where's your battle damage?"

Silver perked his ears. "I didn't know that was a requirement."

Shining snorted softly. "Radiant Hope healed all of mine away, so don't feel out of place." His head tilted a little. "You look ready to go."

Silver nodded at Shining. "Good eye. Thank you for hosting us, and do tell Cadance thanks for me too."

"Why don't you tell me yourself?" Cadance stepped in, somehow sneaking up on them despite being a large pink target. "Thank you, both of you. You've lent a vital hoof where it was needed."

Silver pointed at Cadance. "Oh no you don't. This was your victory, and you handled it super well."

Cadance snorted at Silver. "I'll have none of this modesty! Night Watch established the first lines of communication with the umbrum. You both saved me from Sombra's misguided control, not to mention you two saving Shining Armor. You are owed thanks, if nothing else." She leaned forward and planted a kiss on Silver's forehead. "Travel safely. You're always welcome here."

Silver went red despite himself. The more he tried to battle with the blush, the worse it got. His neck was grabbed in jawed teeth and Night began hauling him away from the royal couple. Once they were out of sight, he snapped out of his daze and began to walk under his own power. "Sorry about that." He was colored for a new reason. "I hope I didn't upset you."

"And why would I be upset?" Her tone implied she was. Her eyes were directed forward, not even glancing at Silver.

Silver threw a hoof over her. "I can think of many reasons, but how about I give a good reason not to be? We're done. We'll get off the train at Canterlot, and then I'm retiring for a while. I will be your personal servant, seeing to your every whimsy and being there for every last bit of this road you're on." He leaned in and nuzzled the side of her faintly-frowning face. "And because I love you wildly. Forget Cadance."

"You first." Night shoved Silver back, then let out a little sigh. A smile crept into her features. "It must be hormones... I know it wasn't meant as anything. Come on. I'm going to make you live up to that promise of yours."

Silver followed after Night, and they both arrived at the station where Luna was shepherding all the umbrum aboard. "Penny and Stick are already aboard," reported Luna.

Silver nodded. "Oh good! We'll be going as far as Canterlot, then it's time for us both to take a leave of absence until our family finishes growing."

Night nudged him. "Mister teacher, perhaps this would be a fine time for you to squeeze in some more actual teaching time?"

Silver perked his ears at that and nodded. "Good idea. You coming?"

Night shook her head. "I'm going to get a nap. I'm not a unicorn, magic talk mostly goes over my head."

Silver poked her in the chest. "You have your own magic, and so much of it. No fancy unicorn trick solved this problem, in the end. A little lunar pegasus magic was more suited." He leaned in and they rubbed noses softly a moment before they both boarded the train.

Surprising Silver, the Mane Six were also on that train, bound for Ponyville.

Pinkie grinned at him. "I keep running into you, Mister Ambassador guy! Good job on the whole 'avoiding war by talking' thing." She rolled a hoof. "And here I thought I was good at making friends. Last time I tried to call off a war with talking, well, I just started singing and everypony got even more angry. It was kind of upsetting, but hey, can't win 'em all, right?"

Silver blinked softly at the stream of consciousness that had just flowed over him. "I'm sure you tried your best, Miss Pie." He flashed a smile. "I need to talk to Penny, but have a safe ride home, alright?"

Before he could get far, Twilight thrust a hoof in front of him. "I have too many questions, and you have some answers."

Night interjected herself between the two. "Now is not the time, Your Highness. Please, send a letter."

Twilight huffed, but let them pass. As they went, Silver felt an old pain gently niggled at him. In another world...

He put those sad thoughts aside and smiled as he approached Penny. At least some magic would be taught that day, and taking on the role of mentor sat well enough with him. "Did I ever mention my dad was a math teacher?"

Author's Note:

That arc is now officially over!

The tale of Sombra and the Umbrum is complete. I hope everypony enjoyed the ride.

PreviousChapters Next