• Published 14th Mar 2015
  • 7,764 Views, 6,677 Comments

Putting on a Silver Robe and Wizard Hat - David Silver



Silver Lining, now wielding a cutie mark and an insatiable desire to learn and codify magic, has graduated from grade school and now faces the challenges of a magic academy as a young adult. This former-human is learning his place in Equestria.

  • ...
90
 6,677
 7,764

PreviousChapters Next
39 - Fixing Him

Silver's eyes came into focus. He was... awake. He knew it beyond even the faintest shadow of a doubt. Whatever world he was in, it was his. He slowly sat up on the pillow somepony had set him on. Luna was asleep, as was Night Watch, her glasses perched messily on her snout.

The scent in the air hinted that the two had thoroughly enjoyed one another's company. Silver tried to spread wings he didn't have, just to have the reality of that settle on him. He wasn't a prince. He was never a prince, or a princess. He'd never traveled the world, or taken dozens on dozens of wives. He was a young pony. A young... stupid pony that had just tried to throw his life away over nothing.

Tears welled up in his eyes and he began to sniffle in spite of himself, trying to hold back those emotions. He was awake. That was one thing he knew for sure, but there was so much more... So much. He didn't want to bother the mares in the room, but he saw little alternative to getting answers. "Night?" His voice surprised him. Even when he had turned back into Silver Lining, it was just that little off. He truly was Silver Lining. Silver Stars was dead, and never was.

Night stirred with a sleepy grumble. She sat up, which was enough to rouse Luna, and soon he had two pairs of eyes on him.

Silver looked between them. "First, Luna... Was that you?"

"You remember that much?" Luna perked her ears. "Most forget swiftly their dreams. Are you well?" While she spoke, Night adjusted her glasses to fit better. Silver smiled a little, remembering she used to do that more often. Did he forget in his dreams?

"I'm... Okay, let's go through this. I have about a lifetime and change in my head, or so it feels like." He pointed at Night. "We had a foal together... twice..."

Night went a bright cherry red. "In a row?"

"N-no... It's not that simple."

Luna reached with her magic, drawing Silver up against them. "You had many dreams, we should think. While you slept, I wove through the thick tangle of your thoughts. I dared not weave them with my own hooves for their intense complexity, so I simply laid them so you would see them, and work through them, yourself. Are you well?"

Silver licked over his lips. "None of it was real?" Luna shook her head. Silver's ears pinned back. "Not even a little?"

"As real as any dream can be, which is not very." Luna perked an ear. "But look inside yourself. Are you better?"

Silver wanted to panic, to thrash and flail, but he resisted. He cleared out his mind as Luna's gentle words commanded, and let out a slow breath. "I feel..." He opened his eyes. "I feel like I'll miss the dream... But I'm a kid again." Silver set a hoof on his chest. "I still have my... wonderful wife... I'm not going to scramble for what I don't have. I want to make the best of what I do, and try to make it better."

Night smiled as she leaned in. "No more hurting yourself?"

Ah, right. That was what got him there. "No! No... Lord no."

"Princess." Luna seemed confused at being called a lord.

"No, sorry, saying, a human saying." Silver smiled, expecting fangs, but they were gone. He was a unicorn. A normal unicorn, if one discounted the human soul residing in him. "Wait, does this mean?"

"It does. You are free to go, and to resume your duties, if you wish." Luna nodded firmly. "It would be a pleasure to have you back as a servant."

Silver felt conflict rise in his chest. He had learned so much of Luna, and her isolation, and the joy they could bring to one another, but to reach for her could hurt Night, or maybe thrill her? It felt like ages ago when they last talked about it. "Night?"

"Yes?" Night's ears twitched softly. "What's up?"

"How was your time, with Luna, while I was dreaming?"

Night sighed softly. "It was a pleasure to serve her, and to reside with her. I have always been loyal to her, but this was... different." She colored brightly. "Please don't be jealous! I didn't mean it in any way like that. You're my stallion!"

Silver bit his lower lip, a gesture he couldn't do easily without bleeding when he had fangs. "What if... I suggested we not let her go?"

Luna raised a brow high. "Young pony, you have no claim to me. Even my temporary claiming of your mate while you were recovering means nothing in return."

Night glanced between them. "Silver, you should be royally cheesed, not... doing that."

Silver looked between them, unsure what to say. "I learned a lot about you, Luna, in those dreams..."

Luna raised a brow. "Much of which was likely false. We are glad you are feeling better, but you can leave us now." She gently waved her hooves to dismiss them both. "A bright young soul as yourself has no need for the Night Mother any further."

With an intense wave of magic, they were evicted out to the hallway, their saddlebags landing nearby a moment later, then the door to her chambers slapped shut. After the briefest moment, it swung open a few inches. "He's cured!" came Luna's shout, then it closed.

The lunar ponies standing there nodded lightly. "Congratulations on your recovery. Are you taking your position back?"

Silver gathered himself up, taking his saddlebag in his magic and fitting it in place. "Night, I did a horrible thing, and you were the victim. I'm in your debt. What would you rather I did?"

Night leaned in and rubbed noses with him. "I want you to be happy, and doing what you can do and enjoy doing, just as you would want for me."

Silver brightly returned her smile. "I don't deserve you, but I'll work on fixing that." He turned to the guard. "Yes. I'll be taking the Ambassador position back. Have there been other human guests?"

The guard pointed down the hallway. "You'll want to talk to Princess Celestia. She would be up to date on any new humans. Welcome back, sir."

With head held high, Silver began to trot, only to slow, looking sidelong at his wife, pregnant... Could it be with the filly he saw? What of his colt? That colt was created in a situation that would never happened unless Silver really bent over backwards trying to make it happen, and even then, it seemed terribly unlikely. Clear Twilight may yet be, but Morning Glory, what hope was there for him?

"What are you looking at? Ugh, I'm a mess right now." Night settled and began brushing her fur out nervously and rapidly. "Is something wrong?"

Silver shook his head. "I'm wondering what could be, won't be, and may be."

Night raised a brow behind her thick glasses. "Wow, Luna really did a number on your head. Are you sure you're alright?"

Silver felt a moment, and knew without doubt... "I'm awake, and ready." Together they strode through the halls of the palace, to announce Silver's return. Ambassador Silver Lining would resume his functions. No prince, princess, half-human, or any other countless things. He hadn't bedded a worryingly large amount of the main six, or ever gotten that close to Twilight Sparkle.

Perhaps it was for the best?

Author's Note:

Did you get here from: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/255839/the-silver-stars? Good, you're in the right place!

Ever wonder why I didn't update the canon with... all of that? Now you know why.

The Silver Verse is much more open again.

PreviousChapters Next