• Published 14th Mar 2015
  • 7,765 Views, 6,677 Comments

Putting on a Silver Robe and Wizard Hat - David Silver



Silver Lining, now wielding a cutie mark and an insatiable desire to learn and codify magic, has graduated from grade school and now faces the challenges of a magic academy as a young adult. This former-human is learning his place in Equestria.

  • ...
90
 6,677
 7,765

PreviousChapters Next
32 - All Hail the Queen

Silver followed after Stand, fretting over some recent life decisions along the way. He should have fought harder to leave his mares at home, but they weren't his mares. They made up their minds, and here they were. He took a soft breath and steeled himself, resolving to see this through to the best possible outcome. "You know," he said conversationally, "Fast Change is a huge fan of changelings."

Stand looked over her shoulder, "Really? I find that difficult to believe. She fought fiercely."

Did they really have a pitched battle that he slept through? "She is a loyal member of my herd, and was protecting herself and us without a thought, but it's true. If you'll let her go, I can show you."

Stand In turned around, "Let her go, as in leave the hive? Are you mad?"

Silver shook his head quickly, "No, I just mean so she can stand and speak, right here."

Stand peered at Silver a moment, "You best not be deceiving me." She waved a hoof, and Fast was set on the ground. They freed her of the gunk and she quickly scrambled to her hooves.

Silver advanced on Fast, giving her a soft nuzzling, "Fast, why don't you show them how good you are at changeling magic?"

Fast looked confused a moment, "Chang... Oh! I can do that. Bring your best and let's see who's better." Her expression turned to confidence as she looked at Stand In defiantly.

Stand In huffed, "I'll be your sparring partner. We'll start simple. Earth pony stallion." No sooner said than Stand In became a dark maroon earth pony stallion with a smiley-faced flower for a cutie mark. "Your turn."

Fast clopped her hooves even as she began to change, turning between one clop and the next, and she was a spitting image of Rough Draft. "Earth ponies are fun, so strong and durable."

Stand In gave a soft nod, "Alright, let's bring it up a step. Breezie." He became a she as she was engulfed in bright green flame and emerged as a tiny fluttering breezie.

Fast squinted, "You're skipping a few steps! Breezies are hard." She returned to her birth form, and her horn glowed powerfully as she focused on the change. With a stink of ozone and a loud crackle of power, she shrank down to match Stand. "Hello!" she squeaked in her tiny new voice.

Stand tilted her head one way, and the other, "Very good." She became a changeling again, "I already did unicorn. You do a changeling."

Silver felt a knot form in his belly, "No!" He leaped on Fast, pinning her to the ground with ease, her being so small at the moment. "Anything but that, please."

Stand scowled at Silver, "It was just getting interesting. Very well, I concede that wife has good taste. If she will behave, we will let her walk with you." She turned and prowled, remaining in changeling form.

Silver felt Fast become her usual size just before she shoved him off. She nudged him with a hoof, "That hurt."

Silver sat up quickly, "Sorry, I'm just... I'm afraid you might actually become one, if you tried."

Fast wrinkled her nose, "Well I didn't. Thank you for getting them to let me go." She moved to follow Stand, and Silver quickly caught up.

"To your left, you'll see the feeding pods. It's not too late for you to get a much closer look," spoke Stand In, indicating rows of pods. Most were empty, but a few were glowing a soft green, the heads of ponies visible within.

Silver shivered softly, "Do you need to be in a feeding pod to be useful? That drone that woke me up seemed quite eager to get a personal taste without it."

Fast raised a brow, "What do you mean by that?"

Stand In replied before Silver, "While it is, technically, possible for a lone changeling to feast on your pathetic love, the pods allow all of us to profit. That drone was being greedy, and will be punished." She whistled shrilly, and a drone descended from the swarm to stand in front of her. Stand In slapped the drone across its snout, "Don't do that again. Pods are for feeding everyone." The drone whimpered before retreating, tail between its legs.

Silver glanced around nervously, "You didn't put my parents in there, I hope?" Not that he had seen them.

Stand In shook her head, "Special guests." She gestured at a large sealed door of stone, "Here we are. Watch your mouth and say your prayers. Your life is in Her Majesty's hooves now." With an unseen prompting, the several members of the floating swarm approached, pulling the door open obediently, revealing their Queen perched on a soft cushion.

Chrysalis raised a brow at the group, "They're here? Without complications? Stand In, double rations."

Stand In beamed with delight, saluting and dashing off into the hive.

"Hi," said Silver. Smile and wave, it usually didn't hurt.

Chrysalis raised the other brow, the first falling, "So cheerful. As if your life didn't hang on my whim. Who is that beside you? She should be shackled."

Fast took half a step forward, becoming a large manticore as she advanced, "I am Fast Change, his wife. If you think about hurting him, I'll rip you apart."

Chrysalis laughed, a strange sound that echoed as if two ponies were speaking, "What nerve, what love! Put it aside. Your shape-shifting trickery is no match for mine. I, queen of the changelings." She rose to her perforated hooves, "When my agent first reported you in that nowhere town, I thought she had defected, or was drunk."

Silver rose a brow, "Where?"

Chrysalis tilted her head, "You didn't notice? You've had an uncanny knack for spotting my children since then. No matter. You did not reveal her, and she let you go. My agents later reported you came into contact with a rogue queen."

Silver was getting all the more confused, "You know about her?"

Chrysalis huffed, "Of course I know about her! As if she were nearly subtle enough. Harmless, but worthy of monitoring. You brought Luna's attention down on her, and yet, she still lives. She still smiles when you are mentioned. You have outed my children, yet protect another." She leaned forward, resting her head on her hooves, "Friend, or foe? You are almost as dangerous either way."

Silver squirmed a little, "I don't hate changelings. The one that was caught, I didn't even know he, or she, would be there. I offered them a chance to come clean."

Chrysalis shook her head, "Any good drone would rather die. They were wise to not accept your offer, as naively innocent as it seems to be, but your presence cost me a very talented captain. He had managed to remain hidden close to Celestia," she said the word with clear disdain, "for years."

Silver nodded slowly, "Well, I mean it. I have no beef with changelings for existing."

"No beef?" asked Chrysalis, "What a curious term. Minotaur or griffon in origin..." She looked to Fast Change, "You. What do you think?"

Fast shrugged her shoulders, "I think he's too damn nice. I don't know how one pony could be so allowing. I'm hopping mad that you have us, and our wife, captive." She became her usual unicorn self, "Could you give her back to us, kindly?"

Chrysalis considered this even as the swarm brought down Night and set her before the queen. "A bat pony? How rare. And a herd? I thought those went out of style a century ago."

Silver advanced a few steps, "She's a lunar pegasus, and, please?"

There was a bright flash, then there were two Night Watch's, and no queen. Both rushed to Silver before they seemed to notice each other and gave one another a shove.

"Get away from him, you shape-shifting demon!"

"I'm the real one, you're a changeling hussy!"

"Safeword," said Fast, looking almost bored.

The Night on the left said, "Tuna casserole." Then she leaped for Fast, hugging her and being hugged in return.

The Night Watch on the right frowned, and returned to being the Queen, "How did you know that would happen?"

Fast snorted, "You're not the only shapeshifter. Me and Night work out special keyphrases, just in case."

Silver wondered why he never learned a keyphrase, but put the question aside, "Alright, now that we're all introduced. What can I do for you?"

Chrysalis advanced, circling around Silver, "I want to feed my people, of course. We could start with your little herd, but you present a mystery worth digging into. How do you spot my children so easily?"

Silver shrugged a little, "It was obvious, to me. Their magic is a very specific shade of green, so is the flame when you change shapes."

"Flames?" asked Chrysalis, confused.

Silver cursed internally as he realized the flames were not normally visible. "I can see magic."

Chrysalis gave a slow nod, "And you can see changeling magic, and you just say what you see. Is it that easy?" Silver nodded. "I see. This is good."

Silver tilted his head, "What makes it good?"

Chrysalis suddenly pounced, pinning Silver to the ground and bearing her sharp teeth at him, "When you die, they won't replicate it, of course!"

Silver squealed like a filly as his surprised mind grasped randomly for a spell. His horn flashed, and a small cloud appeared over Chrysalis before starting to rain gently upon her. Chrysalis stepped free of him, laughing, "You truly are pathetic."

Night advanced, adjusting her glasses, "Where are his parents? We want to see them, now!"

Chrysalis looked towards Night, "And if I do not?"

Silver sat up, "I really don't think you want to do this." The Queen frowned at him, but he continued, "You just want what's good for your people. This whole... thing. You're desperate, and you're angry. Ponies have what you need to be healthy, but they won't give it up, so you demonize them in your head to make them out to be terrible people, so you can be terrible back at them, and not worry about it."

Chrysalis prodded Silver in the ribs, "Stop trying to analyze me. I happen to quite enjoy being malicious."

Silver shook his head quickly, "But what if there was a better way? Do you have to pull from a pony so hard that you damage them?"

Chrysalis's prod turned into a solid shove, "Who are you to lecture me!"

Fast stepped over him, "He is an official diplomat, with Celestia's ear, and Luna's heart."

Silver nodded in agreement, "I can't promise it, but would trying hurt?"

Chrysalis scowled, looking displeased at Silver's words, and yet, not stopping them yet. Silver hoped that meant she was considering them, and a peaceful solution may yet be reached.

"Let's look at Shining Armor," said Silver, "As an example. He's recovered quite well, and has plenty of love to share with his wife. You may be..." he wobbled a hoof, "Parasites, forgive the term, but you're sentient, and that means more. You don't have to damage your host."

Author's Note:

Is Silver getting through, or is he fooling himself?

Will diplomacy ever work with typos?

PreviousChapters Next