• Published 14th Mar 2015
  • 7,767 Views, 6,677 Comments

Putting on a Silver Robe and Wizard Hat - David Silver



Silver Lining, now wielding a cutie mark and an insatiable desire to learn and codify magic, has graduated from grade school and now faces the challenges of a magic academy as a young adult. This former-human is learning his place in Equestria.

  • ...
90
 6,677
 7,767

PreviousChapters Next
201 - Would You Like to Hear About Amneigh?

These were the words he heard. Silver blinked at the little lunar colt that stood before his desk. The colt was an adorable little thing, but had asked a confusing question. "What's Am-Neigh?"

"It's a new business." He produced a catalog from under a wing and held it up for Silver to look at. "Would you like some? You could even make more bits by selling some yourself, oh! Be sure to put my number. You don't get any less, and I'll get some! It's barely any bits to get started."

Silver tilted his head as he flipped through the catalog with his magic, seeing vitamins and various household things all mixed within. "I'll, uh..." The colt looked so hopeful, he couldn't just say no... He pointed to a small bottle of vitamin C he spotted. "I'll take this. So, how'd you get into this?"

The colt took the catalog back and made a few dutiful notes with deft motions of his wings. "Oh, a pair of singing unicorns told me about it and it sounded really good. Look, I made my first sale!" He bounced in place with so much enthusiasm that Silver felt his heart breaking with the mixed feelings.

Something was off, and this colt was involved... "Do they pay you to sell for them?"

"Uh huh!" He tucked the catalog away. "For everything I sell, but I can get even more if I can get other people to sell too with my number."

Silver clenched his teeth. The mechanism sounded familiar, too familiar, but he couldn't put a hoof directly on it. "The bottle I just bought is ten bits. How much of that do you keep?"

"One bit," reported the colt, tilting his head. "But if I get somepony to sell too, I get a bit from them too, and their sellers and their sellers, so I can get up to four bits! See?" He tapped his hooves together as if trying to do this math in his head. "Are you sure you don't want to sell too?"

Silver reached across his desk to pat the colt on the head. He really was adorable... "I have a job right here, but thank you. You don't get paid for trying to sell things?"

He looked confused. "We get paid when we actually sell things. To get rich we have to work hard and be industrious! I'm working hard, sir." He stood so proudly that Silver felt awful.

This wasn't how ponies should be treated... He tilted his head to the left and looked at the pony's flank to see nothing there. "Shouldn't you be in school and earning your mark?"

"Huh?" He glanced back at the soft, featureless, fur. "I have a job now. I don't need school. Well, I should get going! I won't earn more bits here, unless you want any more?" He held out the catalog hopefully.

The colt fled when Silver didn't seem to be moving to buy more. Samantha tilted her head left and right. "Maybe I should have signed up."

Silver blinked at that. "I gladly support you."

"But you wouldn't have to if I earned more bits on my own." She put a hoof at her chest. "Wouldn't that be the right thing to do?"

Silver hopped down from his chair and moved to nuzzle Samantha gently. "You're fine just as you are. If you were going to get a job, you should do something you're good at, or at least like, not that."

Samantha pointed where the colt had fled. "If even he can manage it, I'd probably do great at it. I bet there are wa--"

"No." Silver rose to his tallest. "On this, I refuse. Look, what do you like doing?"

Samantha considered that a moment, glancing around the room a moment before she looked at Silver, who was pointing at her? No, her side. She looked down where Morning Glory was trying to escape. Her horn glowed as she got him secured. "Oh..."

Silver nodded as things seem to reach an understanding. He returned to the desk, confident that she, if she would have to get an official job, would be a foalsitter or something.

This was not how Samantha's thinking worked. To her, being reminded of Morning Glory only was relevant to Morning Glory. Her thoughts were on how to approach her new activity. She'd get to be social too! She'd be the best! She would learn the system and become the best seller they ever had! She had something to do... "I will be back."

She departed Silver, foals riding along. She went to find that foal. Sure, she'd pay the fee to become a seller with Silver's funds, but he would not mind her using it, and she'd pay it back, and she would lend bits to Silver if he needed, so the Golden Rule seemed all in order. There was nothing to do but to enact her plan!

Samantha found the colt wandering the halls of the castle and the little pony smiled up at her. "Oh, hello! Did you realize something you had to buy?"

He was about to produce his catalog but she prevented him with a hoof over his reaching wing. "Nope. I want to become a seller. What do I have to do?"

His eyes lit up and a huge smile spread over his face. "Oh! You're gonna make tons of bits, follow me!" He started leading her along as he dug out a form and passed it back to her. "Fill that out and the fee is only sixty-seven bits."

That was a lot of money. Not that she couldn't afford it, but imagining a colt having that... "Here you are." She produced the funds and passed it to him along with the completed form.

He giggled with building joy. "Alright! Follow me and they'll give you all you need to be a seller just like me! You'll love it."

She was led out of the castle and to a pair of unicorns dressed in brightly striped clothes. "Look here, brother, do you see what I see?"

"Why yes! I do think that I do."

They both leaned towards the colt, asking in perfect chorus. "Did you get yourself your first seller?"

"I sure did! Here." He offered the filled out form and surrendered the bits that Samantha had paid.

"Very good."

"Fantastic."

"Welcome to AmNeigh!" He tipped his hat towards her. "Samantha, is it? A pleasure to meet you."

"An honor."

"I can't wait to get you started on the path to a brighter--

"--better--"

"--Stunning future! Are you ready to sell?"

Samantha bobbed her head fiercely. "I am ready to sell! Give me a catalog and one of every item we sell, I will--"

"It's like this, my dear. You earn a commission not just on all of the sales you make, but on all of the sales made by ponies you recruit, and by ponies that recruited ponies recruit, and by ponies recruited by ponies recruited by ponies that you recruit, and-"

"What my brother means to say is that you're not just selling vitamins and toothpaste, but rather selling opportunity!"

"Quite so, dear brother, quite so! With AmNeigh, you can earn money on sales without ever leaving the comfort of home, once you've signed up enough distributors who'll then sign up more distributors of their own! With this ingenious plan, their successes are your successes!"

The idea sounded appealing, but she wanted to win on her own, of her skill. "I don't need other ponies to sell for me..."

"Why would you deny another pony the chance of a lifetime?" asked one of the two unicorns.

"It's not like you can't sell while you recruit."

"Or recruit while you sell!"

The colt raised a hoof high. "I did that! Um, did you say you'll take one of everything?" His eyes shined with the joy of a sale made.

Author's Note:

Samantha walks right into something with a wide smile. Will she still be smiling by the end, or lamenting the typo she's made?

PreviousChapters Next