• Published 14th Mar 2015
  • 7,767 Views, 6,677 Comments

Putting on a Silver Robe and Wizard Hat - David Silver



Silver Lining, now wielding a cutie mark and an insatiable desire to learn and codify magic, has graduated from grade school and now faces the challenges of a magic academy as a young adult. This former-human is learning his place in Equestria.

  • ...
90
 6,677
 7,767

PreviousChapters Next
132 - Because We Care

Silver and Night were expecting to be greeted by familiar faces on returning to the castle, but this particular one and her expression were beyond their expectations.

Samantha stared at them with wide and worried eyes. "Where were you two? You were out of tracking range, and the readings I received, they were just awful! Are you harmed? Are the foals harmed?" She rushed them to start patting them down with a hoof. "No obvious trauma..."

Silver coughed softly as he began to be patted down. "That's quite alright, Samantha. We're both fine."

That seemed to just be a cue for her attention to focus on the foals, inspecting them carefully until Morning Glory's horn flared brightly and Samantha was tossed across the room.

She rose and shook herself out with a sudden little giggle. "He's alright. Tell me everything!"

Night shook her head slowly. "It's a unicorn thing. Tell me it's a unicorn thing. It has to be. You're all hyper-focused psychopaths." She saw Silver's hurt expression and moved to nuzzle him gently. "I love you for your quirks."

Samantha tilted her head a little. "Is that how you see me?" She rose a hoof and tapped her chin once. "Fascinating. I'm pleased to report you all seem to be in fine physical condition."

Silver let out a little sigh. "We were frozen in crystal, but it was harmless, just annoying and restrictive." He licked his lips as he looked down the hallway they were in. "Right now we're both tired and frazzled."

"Is it true?"

Night raised a brow behind her thick glasses. "Is what true, exactly?"

Samantha waved a hoof between Night and Silver. "Are you letting him look for other members of your herd?"

Night colored swiftly. "N-no! You stop spying on us this very instant." She drove a hoof down in a loud clop. "That was the last straw."

Samantha's manically pleased face turned to utter horror instantly. "I didn't mean to bother you! Question withdrawn." She turned to Silver, nodded, then spun around and fled.

Night put a hoof over her face. "I'm pretty sure I'd go insane if I had to deal... She's still spying on us, isn't she?"

Silver couldn't help but to snort out a chuckle at that. "I would put bits down on it. She's not a bad pony." He rubbed his cheek against Night's gently. "Forget her for now, we have a family to fill in."

They returned to their room to find it crowded. Besides Trixie and Rough Draft, Celine and Sunny were present. Sunny raised a hoof to point at them. "And here they are."

Silver raised an ear. "Were you talking about us?"

Trixie clopped her hooves. "How could we not? Our foals are too brave and wonderful to not speak of frequently. Trixie may also have been prying for details. Who is this unicorn with magic beyond Trixie's? It's bad enough to deal with Princess Sparkle"

Celine shook her head at Trixie. "You are a fine magician, but not the best, Trixie Lulamoon." Her comment earned her a bit of a glare. "The unicorn we speak of has the power to remove cutie marks and the talents that come with them. She is also very driven, and angry."

Sunny smiled gently, as seemed to be one of her favored expressions. "But beneath that angry shell, there is a good pony waiting to emerge."

The smile proved infectious as Silver returned it. "I have to keep reminding myself of that. I wanted to get really pissed at her a few times during that."

Night rolled her eyes as she gathered up both foals and carried them towards the nursery. "I'm glad I was there to support you, Silver, but I won't hold my breath on her suddenly changing."

Celine raised a brow. "Will they use their rainbow powers?"

Rough Draft perked. "Rainbow powers?"

Sunny waved a hoof. "It will be far more personal. She will not be defeated with force, but with friendship and forgiveness, or so we hope. Thank you, both of you, for helping. I'm certain it wasn't easy to do, and you know your part is not yet complete."

Silver knew, but Night seemed less pleased. As she returned without the foals, her head shook. "So now we wait for Silver to either be foalnapped or simply assaulted one day?"

He nodded to her. "That's about the summary. I won't be hurt, I don't think. She's not after me, she's after revenge and so long as she gets what she needs to further that, she won't spend much time worrying about other things." He flopped down onto his haunches with a little frown. "A shame though."

Rough tilted his head at Silver. "What is?"

Silver shrugged a little. "We were better friends, last time. Of course, she also indirectly led to my first death, so it was a bit of a mixed bag. I think she'll become a pony worth being a friend of, but it won't be with me."

Trixie waved the whole thing off. "Who would want to be friends with an egocentric unicorn bent on revenge?"

The room became quiet a moment.

"What?"

Rough coughed into a hoof. "Yes, well, it's becoming late. We should all get some sleep and be ready for tomorrow."

Tired ponies climbed up onto beds and got comfortable even as Trixie tried to get an answer as to what everypony was being quiet about to no avail.

Silver and Night were mutually surprised to find other bodies in bed with them. Celine had slid in beside Night and Sunny with Silver.

Night raised a brow lightly. "One of you is still on trial, and the other isn't even that far. Why are you sharing our bed?"

Celine gently nuzzled Night's shoulder. "We will do nothing untoward. May we rest here?"

Sunny smiled gently and nestled in closer. Her eyes closed and she was soon asleep without words.

Silver felt himself growing warm, but didn't have the heart to banish either of the royal simulacrums. Night seemed more ready to do so, but either she enjoyed the company, or was too tired to fight it. She dropped the argument, and soon the entire suite was peaceful and quiet. Sleep came to them.

"I do not agree with my sister."

Silver sat up on his human bed to see Celine seated across from him. "Oh, hey there Luna."

Celine perked her ears. "I am Celine."

"Who is Luna, I hope?"

She huffed softly. "Keeping separate names helps me keep things straight. Being in two places is harder than it might otherwise appear to be." She pointed at Silver. "You are too eager."

Silver blinked. "I haven't made a move."

She blinked in return then shook her head violently. "Not that! You are too eager to do what is right. This is not some whimsical narrative waiting for you to simply select the right path. This pony who may yet be redeemed? She certainly isn't yet, and could harm you, or those you love, quite terribly."

Silver sat up slowly. "Night knows what to expect. If Starlight comes for me, we'll let her have what she wants so she can do what she has to do."

She frowned a little. "And if Starlight decides Night may be a challenger despite this and moves to attack beforehoof? You and sister are too trusting! It infuriates me..."

Silver licked his lips as he looked over Celine, thinking back to the first time he knew Celine, his first romantic partner. Those were good times... "Do you love me?"

She started. "W-what?"

"Do you?"

Her cheeks colored as she glanced away and back. "Such a sudden question... I came to question you, impertinent foal of a stallion..."

He waved a hoof at her form. "If you don't, you're putting in a lot of effort for a pony you don't love. What do you want, Celine? Let's just pretend a moment everything went perfectly, where would you be?"

Celine sat up and looked tensed to flee, but she visibly fought that urge and slowly sank back down to her belly. "I can feel her love, still echoing through me. She loved you so much, so fiercely... I want to know that love."

The dreamscape shifted suddenly. Silver was on top of Celine, belly-to-belly. "Was it physical?"

Silver colored a little at their position. It would be so easy to... "Partially. I loved her physically, and mentally." He leaned in and nuzzled Celine under her chin gently. "I loved all of her, and now you have all of her. It's left me a little lost."

Celine smiled gently. "And if I surrendered to this feeling... If I threw my hooves wide and gave it all up, and accepted you as part of me, would this please you?"

This felt sudden, and fast, to Silver. He pushed down, his hooves on either side of her and allowing him to stand up instead of being pressed to her so intimately. "This isn't about me. You already know how I feel." He smiled a little. "I will accept you, as a friend, or more. I would even accept you as less, though more sadly." He tilted his head. "I..."

She put a hoof to his snout, quieting him. "Friend or lover, may I have you tonight?"

Silver felt a wave of conflicting emotions wash over him. Having Celine again, it was so very tempting. Was dream-sex infidelity? Would he be betraying Night? "We shouldn't."

Celine gave a slow and quiet nod. They were seated facing one another again. "I'm pushing too hard, again."

Silver smiled a little. "You wouldn't be you if you didn't." His tail flicked as he looked over her. "I'm not mad at you, heck, that was very very tempting... but I think I can't use dreams as an excuse when I know exactly what I'm doing in dreams. If you become part of the herd, I will try to be the best husband I can be."

She quirked a smile. "Then it is up to me to win my way into it, or accept my failure. As for this Starlight Glimmer, I continue to have my reservations about this entire plan." She reached out a wing she didn't have an instant prior. An image of Starlight appeared balanced atop it. "She could visit great harm on you and yours, and you accept it without hesitation."

"She could." Silver sat up tall. "I've seen her, at her best, and at her worst. If I can help nudge her towards the best, then I will." A little quirk of a smile spread on his snout. "I got to return our first meeting."

"Hmm?"

Silver shook his head. "In my dream, she had me captive and made a very... forward pass, confusing me at the time. I didn't exactly mean to, but I flipped the tables around and left her confused and reeling."

Celine blinked softly. "When will you tell me of your dreams? Mine sister has already seen so much. It isn't fair... You claim they were at least half formed from my own mind as much as your own."

He frowned a little at that. "I didn't mean to share with her. She came and took it while you had me locked up, I'll remind. You both did something wrong, though in that particular case, I'd rate yours a little higher." The frown broke into a little smile. "We're not here to yell about that, again, but you don't get to be mad at her. You basically gave it to her."

Celine pointed at Silver. "I am more irate at you than her. I want to know." She reached for him, poking him between the ears. "What secrets lurk here? What things have you seen?"

Silver dipped under her hoof and gave her a quick smooch on the cheek. "Ask me after you've settled things with Night Watch. I'll feel so much less tense about the whole thing once we're past the point I've seen. I'm very tired of living 'in the past' as it were."

Celine narrowed her eyes a moment, a hoof raising to touch the spot where she had been kissed. "Sleep well."

She was gone.

Silver slid from his bed and sat at his computer, ready to idle the hours away until the morning.

Author's Note:

Debriefing has occurred, with a bonus round for good luck, one might hope? Luna, stop acting like a typo.

PreviousChapters Next