• Published 13th Mar 2015
  • 11,745 Views, 1,288 Comments

The Last Descendant - Cup of Coffee



After traveling into the Bermuda Triangle following a vision, Magnus ends up in a place filled with fairytale creatures and a secret concerning his lineage.

  • ...
65
 1,288
 11,745

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26 - Intermission 1 - Funeral (Edited by JBL 07.31.2017)

One Week After the Dream.

The day gradually approached its end, the skies and the clouds adopting a slightly crimson hue as the sun neared the horizon. Usually, at this hour, Princess Celestia's workday would have concluded, and she would have dinner with her sister before retiring to her private quarters for rest, relaxation, and a few spare hours to spend on her hobbies. Aside from being an avid reader, Celestia had a private garden within the castle grounds. No gardeners were allowed there, only Celestia herself and a few select ponies, with every plant growing in her garden maintained by her. She found having a private garden was a pleasant way to keep in touch with the earth pony side of her. Flying, while mainly being a means of transportation for the common pegasus, was also a hobby that she enjoyed. She would soar above the clouds, watching the earth far beneath her, finding a nice fluffy cloud to rest on and simply observe life continue without her being needed for every single decision. Tonight, she could certain do with stretching her wings for a while.

Wandering into her quarters from the balcony, Celestia closed the glass doors and headed towards her closet. Opening it, she retrieved her saddlebags, cream and gold-trimmed as they were, along with a simple white traveling cloak. She folded the cloak and placed it in the saddlebags, then slung the bags over her back, ensuring that they would not interfere with her wings when flying. She then headed over to a cabinet filled with various items. Some were just souvenirs while others held far more value, being mementos of friends long gone and items from different eras. Amongst the various items, a lacquered brown wooden box stood out. Taking the box in her magic, Celestia opened the lid, revealing a horn resting on a bed of royal purple silk and rose petals.

It felt so surreal to her, looking at the horn of a friend resting on silk and flowers instead of being on his head. The small funeral Celestia and Luna held ages ago had been a simple affair. They had buried a box with some of Star Swirl’s favourite possessions, along with a painting of him. A common funeral gift in the Unicorn Kingdom at the time had been a gem filled with magic; Celestia and Luna had given Star Swirl one each, signifying his importance in the old unicorn realm. They also recorded their happiest memories of him on a scroll which they also buried.

However, Star Swirl would be laid to rest amongst his kin tonight, and Celestia and Luna would gain closure. It had taken nearly five millennia, but he had finally returned home.

Three sharp knocks sounded from the door, followed by a female voice, "It is Luna." Using her magic, Celestia opened the door to allow her sister to trot inside.

"Forgive my lateness, but I decided to see to Magnus before we departed," Luna commented as she walked up to her sister. Twilight and Spike had returned to Ponyville the day prior, having observed that Magnus was doing well, relatively speaking. They would return at a later date when Magnus was to be revealed to Equestria, bringing with them their Ponyville friends.

"That was very thoughtful of you. How is he?"

"He was sleeping.” Celestia fixed Luna with a questioning gaze. “I did not peer into his dream! I did not even touch upon it,” Luna defended before Celestia could ask further. “He speaks in his sleep, and his mumbling told me that he dreamt of home.”

Celestia nodded. The difficult part was over for Magnus, though that was scant comfort to one who had to rebuild his life from scratch. It would not be easy, but at least he wouldn't be alone. She visited him regularly, just to ascertain he was okay. At least he answered when spoken to, but only in short sentences, and he never initiated conversation. Quite often, she found him either staring out the windows or reading all the cards that came with the flowers that now filled his room. The compassion her beloved ponies displayed was touching. Occasionally, a faint smile appeared on Magnus' face when he read a card, and Celestia took it as a sign that he was on the mend.

Luna looked down at the box cradled in Celestia's golden magic. Frowning slightly at the morbid sight, she could not stop a tear escaping her eye. A good friend, a long gone companion, now nothing more than a horn and memories. The horn alone was disturbing, but one part of Luna was happy that at least now they had something physical of Star Swirl to lay besides his family.

Luna looked towards the balcony and the slowly fading daylight. "Shall we depart? Hollow Shades is quite some distance away."

"Yes, let's go." Celestia closed the box, placed it carefully within her saddlebags, and closed the flap.

"I spoke with the new Captain of the Guard, a young Captain Valiant. He was most distressed over us flying instead of taking a carriage, and even more disturbed over us going without an escort," Luna mentioned casually as they stepped out onto the balcony.

"I know, he requested several meetings with me today, desperately wanting at least four guards to go with us. I firmly declined his offer since the funeral is for friends and family only." Celestia sighed. "Sometimes, it feels like our little ponies think we are made of brittle glass."

Luna chuckled. "If only they knew of the adventures we had before we became Princesses. What do you think they would say if we revealed half of the battles we fought?"

"I do believe the Royal Guard would collectively resign since they would think we do not need them."

Luna snickered in response.

Spreading their wings, the two alicorns took to the skies and turned until they faced north-east, heading in that direction. While they flew, the time eventually came for the sun to set and the moon to rise. An appropriate-sized cloud served as a platform for them to land while they performed their centuries-old ritual. Once completed, they resumed their journey.

The moon had held reign over Equestrian skies for several hours when Celestia and Luna finally neared their destination. As they flew over the Foal Mountains and crossed into the misty forest, they saw several faint lights in the distance; Hollow Shades, the Nocturnal town, home of the bat ponies. Nearly every pony living there was a bat pony, with a smattering of the other Equestrian races making up the rest. It was not a huge town, being nearly twice the size of Ponyville. However, their destination was not the town itself, but the single source of light at the foot of the mountain just north of the town.

It did not take long before they arrived at their destination. Celestia and Luna landed at the edge of the forest, just a brief walk from their goal. Stretching their wings after such a long flight, Celestia opened her saddle bags and threw on her traveling cloak, making sure to cover her head with the hood. Luna opted instead for her enchanted cloak. Upon her command, a group of bats formed above her and dove towards her body, clinging to it until they turned to black cloth, thus completing her attire. Celestia sometimes wondered why Luna chose such a dramatic enchantment, but understood that it was part of the mystery of the night that Luna liked to be a part of.

They began walking towards the source of the light, and it soon came into view. Solid stone once made up the walls of the structure, with crenulations on top providing ample cover for both defence and offense. Now, the walls were crumbling, having collapsed completely in some places, moss and vegetation running rampant over it. Where the wall still stood firm, ivy concealed the stone while moss and other plants found homes within in the cracks. A deep moat had once existed around the walls, but was now completely filled with dirt and mud, with no sign of it having ever existed.

They approached the wrought-iron gate which stood open. While passing through, Luna paused to look at the symbol adorning the centre of the gate. It was a flat disk of black stone with an outer rim of silver. From the centre of the disk, five silver arms extended outwards in a spiral pattern from a sparkling circular diamond until they connected with the outer ring. In the spaces between the arms, the black stone was adorned by tiny sparkling flecks of various coloured precious stones. As Luna continued walking, the moonlight reflecting on the disk caused it to flicker and sparkle.

At one time, this symbol had been known across Equestria, signifying success, wealth, power, and magic. This was the ancient crest of the Galaxy family.

Continuing on, the two sisters found themselves in a courtyard, a cobblestone path leading towards the main building. A dried-out marble fountain with unicorns in various poses stood in the middle of the path, with benches surrounding it. Various trees and decorative shrubs once gave the garden around them an impressive flair of wealth, but no longer. The garden itself showed signs of neglect, with parts of it appearing like it hadn't been maintained for at least a hundred years, though there was a small section that had been well-maintained, judging by the freshly mowed lawn.

The main structure loomed ahead. The ancient four storey mansion was built close to the mountain, its back to a steep cliff, with the crumbling outer wall forming a horseshoe pattern around the mansion. It had changed numerous times over the years. The Galaxy family had first built it as a castle, then converted it into both a defensive structure as well as a home. Currently, the structure more resembled a building ravaged by time than the usual opulent mansions found in Canterlot. Still, shades of its former majesty and elegance were still evident in its late First Age of Harmony-era style architecture. Two circular towers loomed from the centre of the mansion while statues of gargoyles and various other creatures stood eternal guard on the roofs. Though diminished, it had not yet lost its glory.

"I remember a time when this mansion was a castle that protected Equestria's northern border," Luna murmured wistfully as she looked at the building. "Twas a time of strife, and danger, a time when strong fortifications were necessary. Alas, time changes many things."

"Indeed it does. Castles to protect Equestria's borders are no longer needed in this peaceful era." Celestia looked at the front door, each step bringing them closer. "Even noble houses are not impervious to changing times."

The conversation died as they approached the door. From windows came the soft glow of light from candles and oil lamps, indicating somepony’s presence within. Celestia lifted a hoof and knocked on the oak door, the sound echoing even outside. It did not take long before the sound of hooves approaching came from behind the door. Creaking loudly, the door opened, revealing a young bat pony mare. She was young, perhaps no more than seventeen, with a dark grey coat, inky blue mane and tail with two light red streaks, her mane held in a loose ponytail. She bore the face of a young filly who had just become an adult mare, and under her upper lip, two short fangs protruded. On her flanks was a collection of flowers and plants, with one flower being taller and bright white.

Standing there in the doorway, the mare stared up at the two larger ponies. “Um, hi? Who are—” Her eyes grew wide as she recognized the faces of the alicorns. She quickly bowed and lowered her head until it touched the ground. “Princess Luna!” she exclaimed loudly with a touch of awe. “A-And Princess Celestia!”

Luna smiled as she lowered herself slightly and placed her hoof under the mare’s chin, gently guiding her face upwards until she could look her in the eyes. “Hello, my little bat,” she greeted her softly. “What is your name?”

The young mare smiled back nervously. “He-Hello, Your Highness, I am Camellia.” Celestia had some difficulty deciding if Camellia’s jumpiness was because of them both, or just Luna. Most likely, it was her sister. Neither she nor Luna played favourites with their subjects, but the bat ponies held a special place in Luna’s heart, and vice versa.

“Hello, Camellia, is the lady of the house home?” Luna asked, to which the bat pony nodded eagerly.

“Oh, yes, yes she is. She’s always home,” Camellia said, sounding slightly more confident. “She’s been real quiet tonight though, but I can go get her.”

Camellia was about to turn around when another figure came wandering from behind the young mare. It was a pony wearing a dark brown cloak with the hood pulled over her head, with a horn protruding from underneath glowing crimson to keep a lit oil lantern suspended in the air next to her. She came to a stop next to Camellia, then looked to Luna and bowed slightly.

“Princess Luna,” the old mare murmured. Luna was polite and greeted her with a small nod befitting royalty. Then the cloaked pony turned to Celestia. Looking up at her, the sound of old bones creaking could be heard. “Hello, Celestia.”

“Hello, old friend,” Celestia replied with a smile. “It is good to see you again.”

“Likewise, ten years if my memory serves me right.” The sound of her voice was that of an old pony with decades of accumulated wisdom, yet still contained a hint of playfulness.

As Celestia and the hooded pony talked, Luna was struck by how casual their conversation was. A thousand years ago, such as exchange was most unbefitting of royalty, but seeing as times had changed and Celestia personally knew this pony, she deduced that it was part of the new age. It wasn’t a bad idea; in fact, Luna had personally requested the entirety of Ponyville to refer to her simply as Luna, in order to get closer to her subjects. So far, it had succeeded beyond her expectations.

“Well,” the old pony said, bringing Luna out of her ruminations, “we should get going. I’m not getting any younger just standing here.”

Celestia nodded. “Yes. We have a friend to lay to rest, and you have family to bury.”

The two alicorns and the hooded pony began walking away from the door, though they reached no further than a few steps before Camellia came trotting after them.

“Grandmother, do you want me to come with you? You’re not as young as you once were, you know.”

The old mare turned to her, and from underneath the hood, a smile could be seen. “I think I could use some help. Thank you, Camellia.”

And so the group walked away from the old mansion. Upon reaching the outside of the wall, they stepped onto a well-trod road that led towards the town itself. Celestia and Luna did not even break into a sweat, but it was evident that the elder pony’s legs were not what they once were. Camellia walked alongside her grandmother and allowed the elder to lean onto her while at the same time placing her wing over her back for added support. Despite this, not once did the old mare ask to stop for a break.

After an uneventful and silent walk, the group came to a fork in the road. The old mare led the way and immediately took the right path which led them further into the forest. Not long after, they came upon a large natural clearing in the forest. A few large trees formed a sparse ring around them while hundreds of flowers were planted among headstones. At the entrance to the graveyard stood a solitary figure, an earth pony stallion with a coat as white as snow that contrasted sharply against his raven-hued mane. On his head, he wore a top hat, and on his back was a black cape. He bowed to them as they approached.

“Good evening, Majesties. I am Wreath, caretaker of the graveyard,” he intoned solemnly. He stood straight, directing his gaze onto the old mare. “I understand that you wish to bury a loved one, Baroness, is that correct?”

“Yes, Wreath.” The baroness stepped forward. “And I wish to bury him with the family in the crypt.” She set down the lantern, floating out a large iron key from within her cloak.

Wreath looked from the old mare to the key, then back again. “Very well, please follow me.” With Wreath leading the way, the small entourage followed him.

The graveyard was silent, with only the sound of the wind and night-time critters being heard. The silvery moon shone down upon the clearing, illuminating the numerous headstones. Some were clearly new, while others were so ancient and worn by the elements that the names of the ponies laid to rest had all but vanished. On top of each headstone, the cutie marks of the deceased had been carved, underneath which were the names, their date of birth and passing, along with a final message.

While passing by the stones, Celestia and Luna were reminded of the many friends they had to say goodbye to over the years. Longevity was a double-edged sword, and death had never gotten easier to deal with.

Eventually, the group came upon a stone building in the oldest part of the graveyard. Constructed of solid alabaster stone with ornamental statues on the domed roof, it was the final resting place of an ancient family, evident by the crest engraved onto the doors. The old mare walked up to the doors, inserted the key into the almost indistinguishable slot, and turned the key. Several muffled clicks came from the door as the locking mechanism was released. Wreath then stepped up to the doors, set his forelegs on them, and pushed. Gradually, the heavy doors opened wide. “Do you need an escort, Baroness?” he asked he peered into the darkness beyond the doors. “It is dark down there. You may trip and injure yourself.”

“That won’t be necessary, Wreath,” the old mare said as she held the lantern in front of herself, illuminating a chiselled stone staircase descending into the earth. “I’ve got my Camellia here, so I’ll be okay.” Although Wreath could not see her face, he could hear the smile in her voice.

“Very well, I shall await your return.”

With that, the group began their descent down into the crypt. At the bottom of the stairs came a long stone tunnel, and at the end of the tunnel was another flight of stairs, twisting further down until they came to another tunnel, this one leading the opposite way than the previous one. On the walls themselves were old murals painted on smooth stone, depicting generations of ponies playing under the sun, practicing magic, and sleeping under a brightly lit moon. The air was stagnant in the first room and became even mustier the further they descended. The walls had square stone plaques mounted on them with the cutie marks, names, birth and death dates etched on them. Some of the names were familiar to the alicorns, though most they did not recognize. The old mare stopped at one particular set of graves, bringing out a rose from within the cloak and placing it on a pedestal in front of the plaque, then allowing her hoof to rest on each for a few moments, mumbling to herself as she did. Celestia recognized the names on the graves as the baroness’ father, mother, and two herdmothers. After that brief stop, they continued until they reached the lowest level.

It was a small square room, the last resting place of the first family members to arrive in Equestria. On the wall, side by side, five thin stone plaques were set into the tombstones, five names carved into them: Marble Chisel, Woodsong, Silvershoe, Rosy Dawn, and Mountain Wisp. On the three other walls were other graves, the wives and husbands of Star Swirl's children.

“Celestia, the middle grave please. That way, he’ll be right in the middle of his children. I think he would like that.”

Camellia looked at her grandmother nervously. “Y-You’re going to open it?” she asked, slightly shaken. “Is-Is there something inside?”

The old mare nodded. “Yes, but only remains, nothing to be afraid of. It’s family, after all, and family never harms family.”

“O-Oh, okay,” Camellia murmured, seemingly reassured.

Celestia’s magic gently grabbed hold of the plaque with Silvershoe’s name, and with a muffled click, the plaque came loose and was gently set to the side, revealing a square hole behind it. The oil lantern illuminated the hole and the wooden coffin within. The coffin was cracked and dry, yet the flowers and stars painted on it was still visible even after five millennia.

With great reverence, Celestia brought forth the box containing Star Swirl's horn, holding it aloft for all to see. “Does anypony wish to say anything?” she asked with a quiver in her voice.

“Yes.” Luna stepped forth. She inhaled deeply, and bowed down, giving the box a gentle kiss. “Goodbye, my dearest friend. May you play under a gentle sun and sleep under a watchful moon forever more.” She then stepped back and wiped her eyes with a wing.

Celestia also gave the box a kiss. “Goodbye,” she murmured with tears running down her cheeks. “Our first, greatest, and best friend. Your long day of work is finally at an end. Now, you can rest peacefully in eternity.”

The golden glow surrounding the box was replaced with a red one, and lowered until it levitated in front of the baroness. Old, caring eyes peered forth from the hood. The box floated down until it was held in a pair of hooves, cradled gently against the mare’s barrel.

“Family is family,” she said warmly. “No matter the centuries that separates us, we are always family, one great herd.” She then held the box in front of her eyes again. “Rest now amongst your children, Star Swirl, for they are here with you.” Her red magic encased the box as she turned towards the last mare amongst them. “Camellia, do you want to say something?”

The bat pony had been so distracted, seeing the two immortal alicorns cry, that she almost didn’t hear what her grandmother said. She sat down on her haunches and looked at the box levitating in front of her, wondering what last words would suffice.

“I… um, I hope you are okay where you are now, and… and that you’ve met your family and friends again. And… that you’re happy now.” She looked to the hooded mare. “Was that okay?”

The lantern’s soft light illuminated the baroness’ face enough so that a smile could be discerned. “I think that was good.” She turned to the open grave and levitated the small box inside, gently setting it down on the casket. Celestia then levitated the stone plaque in front of the hole, and with a gentle click, the plaque was latched into place again. Luna’s horn glowed as she carved additional lines onto the plaque.

Star Swirl the Bearded

Born 1356 in the Third Dynasty of Unicornia

Died far from home, but surrounded by love

After the last line had been carved, the four ponies bowed their heads to the plaque, remaining so for nearly a minute. Afterwards, Luna walked up to her sister and leaned onto her, Celestia doing the same. The old mare gave a comforting nuzzle to her granddaughter, who draped a wing over her back.

After several long moments had passed, the old mare picked up the lantern and looked towards the stairs. “Now, let’s go out and get some fresh air. It’s colder down here than above ground.” The three ponies nodded solemnly and followed the mare, leaving the old crypt in peace once again.

Not once during the ceremony did Luna and Celestia mention the reason Star Swirl had returned to Equestria, nor did they mention his descendant. It was not yet time, but that day would come.

Author's Note:

A serious chapter. This one took me 5 days to write.

Now the time is 2 in the morning here, and I'll start writing the next chapter.

Energy drinks :pinkiehappy:

Edit: added an extra line, hinting at a future meeting between Magnus at the Galaxy family.

PreviousChapters Next