• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 16,817 Views, 837 Comments

...And It's Freaking Cold Up Here - TailsIsNotAlone



So I got in a car crash and the hospital put me under for surgery. The next thing I know, I wake up as a small pony with wings. And I can't see. And it's freaking cold up here.

  • ...
94
 837
 16,817

XVII: Smokes on the Water

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy a good party. Dancing isn't really my thing, but I can drink with the best of them, and back on Earth I was always looking for an excuse to celebrate. It made my life less tedious, especially after the divorce. My friends and fellow coaches would be amazed to see me sitting alone in a corner, staring into space like I am now with a piece of triple-decker mascarpone cake and a cup of perfectly non-alcoholic punch in front of me.

I think my new friends here are surprised, too. When Pinkie Pie suggested a No More Yucky Winter Party - no, wait, a Snowdrop Memorial Party - no, wait, a Goodbye Jay Party (there were several working titles and she never settled on an official one), I went right along with it. It was a chance to say a proper goodbye to the ponies. While she planned the shindig, the other ponies used the time to clear all that snow out of the roads, Snowdrop's spirit rested to recover her energy before trying to send me home, and I went back to the castle with Luna to make a lot (and I mean A LOT) more snowflakes. By the time that was over, I was really looking forward to visiting Sugarcube Corner and tasting Pinkie's baking for the first time.

She should have called it a Sit On Your Ass and Try Not to Cry Party, because that's all I'm doing right now.

I shouldn't be this bummed about leaving. Putting aside my obvious handicaps, I've run into a few dozen things and fallen on just as many hard surfaces. I've been attacked with magic, had my dreams invaded, nearly drowned and fallen to my death, you name it...but it still won't be easy to put Equestria behind me. More than that, I'm scared that Snowdrop won't be able to send me back to my world. Imagine going to a grocery store you've never visited before, finding a nondescript bottle of ketchup in an abandoned shopping cart, and trying to put it back where it belongs. That's more or less what Snowdrop will be trying to do with my soul. It's not impossible, but it's not easy or convenient and there's plenty of room for error.

With all that on my mind, I'm just not in a partying mood right now.

"Hey," a boyish voice says over the music. It takes me a second, but I recognize it as Spike's.

"Twilight let you out of your cage, huh?"

"Gees, what's your problem?" he retorts. "Oh, I get it. You're trying to get me mad so I'll leave you alone."

I shrug, still not looking at him.

"Well, it's not gonna work." I hear a chair skritching on the floor as he sits down across from me.

"I was afraid of that," I mutter. "How you been?"

"Cold, but good. Thanks for fixing winter and everything. Snowdrop will probably be back soon, so I just wanna say it's been nice knowing you. And go easy on those 'medicine sticks', okay? I mean, dragons breathe smoke all the time, but I don't think other animals are so good at that."

I nod vaguely. "Yeah...I guess that's true. Well, take it easy. Don't work too hard."

"Tell that to Twilight," he chuckles.

"Speaking of Twilight," I tell him as he gets up to leave. "Tell her I said thanks for everything. Take care of her, okay?"

"No sweat. I'm her number one assistant, remember? I'm always on the job."

He scampers off and I sit in silence once again, nursing my punch. Naturally, since this place is jammed with ponies and I'm one of the things they're celebrating, I am not left in peace for long. This is why I never gunned for Art's job as head coach. I don't like all the attention.

"Excuse me, Mr. Jay?" a rich, warm female voice says. It sounds kind of familiar. "I am Silver Platter, Silver Spoon's mother. We met briefly when you visited her for a study session."

I suppress a shudder at the memory of that night. "Yeah, it was...interesting."

"She seems quite interested in you, too. I haven't heard her talk about another pony so much since Diamond Tiara," Silver Platter continues, either forgetting or just disregarding that I'm not a real pony. "It's a shame that you have to leave us, and I want to thank you for keeping an eye on her. When we found out she wasn't at Diamond's and had joined your expedition uninvited, Shoe Polish and I were beside ourselves with worry."

"No problem. Princess Luna and Twilight Sparkle watched over her the whole time." Actually it took us at least a day to find out she was hiding in the applecart...and between saving my life, slaying an eldritch abomination, and putting a king-hell beating on some changelings, I think she can pretty damn well take care of herself. But I'm not about to spill all of that to her mother. "By the way, she said she was the 27th pony named Spoon in her family. Who are the others?" I'm not interested; I just want to get her talking so I can safely zone out.

"Oh! Well, obviously it's a very long list. My husband would know more about his side of the family, but her great-great-great-great-great grandfather Golden Spoon was the first, and her youngest relative with the name is her uncle Ivory Spoon; he's a well-known museum curator in Canterlot. She's also descended from the Silvers on my side. I come from a long line of philanthropists, and Shoe Polish comes from a long line of antiquarians, so it's no surprise that she has such a passion for history and preserving valuable things. Most of us do, really, except for the odd black sheep here and there. Don't get me started on Silver Shill--"

"Mom!" Silver Spoon whines, approaching from a short distance away. "What are you doing?! I told you not to talk to the zombie. He's weird!"

"Silver!" Platter sounds outraged. "Mr. Jay, I do apologize for my daughter's rudeness. She apparently needs a few extra lessons in social etiquette. I'm sure there will be plenty of time for them, considering she's grounded for the next three weeks."

"Three weeks?!" Spoonbutt squeaks in protest as I try to hide a wicked smile.

"That's right, and if you'd like it to be longer, just keep arguing with me. Now come along, young filly."

"Mooooom! That's like, so not fair!"

Their voices recede as they go off somewhere else. Finally, another few seconds of quiet. I close my eyes and, although I'm not really hungry, I feel around the table for my fork and take a bite of the cake.

It tastes amazing.

Don't you dare start crying. You're 37, goddamn it.

I get up and walk down the back hallway towards the bathroom, feeling my way along the wall. Maybe if I splash some cold water on my face I'll snap out of it.

One thing I learned from Snowdrop's thoughts was that she got really good at identifying familiar ponies by scent. Silver Spoon's is the only one I've learned to recognize, because what other pony smells like expensive soap over coffee grounds and sealing wax?

"What is it, Silver?" I say impatiently.

"Whoa! Like, how did you know it was me?" she says, approaching from a few yards behind me. "Never mind. There's something I totally need to ask you before Mom notices I'm gone."

"Make it quick."

"What's the hu-mane world like, anyway?"

I shrug. "It's full of antiques and obnoxious, entitled young people who drink too much caffeine. You'd fit right in."

"Cool!" she chirps. "By the way, you didn't tell my mother about the dark magic book, did you?"

"No, and let us never speak of that night again."

"Or my death metal collection?"

"No."

"Or the coffee?"

"Silver, will you get the hell out of here?" I snap, hoping she doesn't notice the hitch in my voice.

"Like, excuse me! And Snowdrop said I was rude. Look, this could totally be the last time we ever talk to each other."

"What's the bad news?" I turn away from her. I'm not going to miss this kid. I'm not.

She sounds only mildly offended. "This is no way for two special ponies to say goodbye. You're not even looking at me."

"That's because I'm blind, you jackass."

She's hugging me before I can stop her. Her glasses poke into my ear. I don't complain. I lean into her, hiding my face in her coat so she won't see me cry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


I don't think Luna is cut out for mass dream-walking. Trolling one or two ponies at a time is no big deal for her, but pulling nearly a dozen of them into the same dream so everypony can see my human form - and I can see them - must be a ball-buster. Her face is strained and kind of squinty, and when she looks at us she opens only one eye at a time. She won't be able to keep this up for more than a few minutes, but if Snowdrop's plan works, that's all we're going to need.

It's pretty amazing that I'm seeing some of these ponies with working eyes for the first (and last) time. The hardest part is connecting those familiar voices with the images they belong to; it seems surreal and overwhelming. I almost want to go back into the dark, where everything made sense. We say our goodbyes without unnecessary delay. Most of them blur together, but Applejack says something that sticks.

“I'll tell ya one thing, sugar. Nothing aggravates me more than when folks go on and on about the joys of being young, 'cause that's just not honest. Anypony with sense knows that growing up is tough and sometimes downright painful. I don’t know much about hue-mans, but I think it must be just the same for them. And bein’ a foal all over again, under the circumstances? I think you’ve done real fine, and I’m mighty proud of you.”

Snowdrop is focusing and gathering whatever energy her spirit has left. It won't be long now, which is good, because I'm not one for speeches. At least I'm all cried out now.

"I'm not really sure what to say. I spent most of my time here with no clue what was going on, and I think you could use a better weather management plan. Everything about Equestria is weird to me, but...I guess I seem pretty weird to you guys too. You were all really helpful and it was good to know you, even if it wasn't for long. Rainbow...we don't need the mushy stuff, do we? Thanks for saving my life and everything else. Take care of yourself."

"You too, kid," she salutes me with a hoof and both wings. "Try not to fall off any more clouds."

"Shy and Rarity, thanks for watching out for me. A.J., we need more ponies like you around. Keep working, because I will too. Pinkie, thanks for the party, even though I didn't celebrate much. Twi, thanks for letting me crash at your place. You're smart as hell, just take better care of yourself. You don't have to do it all. And if someone's expecting more than you're ready to give 'em, I hope you'll be able to say 'no'."

Twilight smiles politely and tilts her head, like she doesn't quite understand. Luna and Snowdrop exchange a brief but serious glance.

"Luna, thanks for the dreams and the good talks. No thanks for the practical jokes. Stay crazy," Luna pouts; Snowdrop grins. "Snow, thanks for hanging on to my soul. Just send me back in one piece and we'll call it square."

"Understood, Jay. I will do my best. And thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for helping me to keep Equestria safe."

Snowdrop holds up my mostly-empty carton of cigarettes. I still don't quite understand, but apparently the soul is easier to handle if you bind it to a physical object the person had some attachment to. Basically, the cigs are to me what the urn is to Snow, and that's why they appeared in Equestria with me. When the time came, she reached out for a wandering soul that could easily be connected with an object, and I was the lucky guy.

I guess in some ways, I was lucky to experience this. For a bunch of crazy four-legged hippies, these ponies weren't too bad.

I take the carton in my hands. The edges of my vision begin to fade, and when I look down at my dream-body it wavers like a reflection in a pool. Below me, dozens of flowers - snowdrops- are blooming so brightly it almost hurts to look at them. These again.

Beth, I think to myself. You again. If you're there, bring me back. I'm ready.

The last thing I see is a bunch of colorful pony shapes waving goodbye. Then the light gets so bright I can't see anymore. A voice I can't identify shouts "no, WAIT!" Then my hearing fades out and it doesn't matter. Maybe somepony wasn't ready to see me go. Part of me wants to stay too, but now that the whole thing is out of my hands I feel kind of relieved. I'll miss them all, but it's time to go back and find out what's left of the Corvette.

The light grows and grows until I can't see anything anymore. It seems brightest of all directly above me. I wait.

And wait.

And wait some more. Nothing happens. I never thought hopping dimensions would be so boring. Or am I dead after all? Damn, I want a smoke. It's not just a habit, it's a routine. It's something to do. If you're antsy, have a smoke. If you've just argued with your wife, have a smoke. If you're done with a good meal and want to put off doing the dishes, have a smoke. If you're bored, have a smoke. It's my solution. It's not something I recommend, but it's always worked for me.

"Hey," I complain in a rough, gravelly voice that sounds like it hasn't been used much recently. "Where the hell am I and where are my cigs?"

For a moment there's nothing. Then I hear a rustling, a quiet exclamation of "holy shit," and something appears in the light. Something short, dark, and muscular with buzzed black hair and the funniest-looking ears I've ever seen, wearing an old Brett Favre jersey. Whoa. That's not God. That's...

"Jarvez?" I groan. "The hell are you doing here? Did they get you too?"

Feelings begin to come back to me. I have a body again. My limbs feel like they weigh a thousand pounds each, but they're here. My stomach feels empty as a football and my head isn't clear.

"Coach, you're awake!" Jarv smiles so wide his face nearly splits in half. "Holy shit! Coach Art! Come quick!"

I wince at the loudness of his voice. That's my quarterback, all right. You could hear the kid calling signals from the next county.

"Mr. Jarvez, may I remind you yet again that you are in a hospital?" Something tall, pale, and crabby walks up next to him and peers down at me. "Good morning, Mr. Bratzke. Although it is currently six o'clock in the evening, I believe that is the appropriate thing to say."

"Hospital?" A few fragments of memory are coming back to me. The drunk driver. The crash. Lots of sirens. Going under for emergency surgery.

"Yes. Aside from a brief return to consciousness yesterday morning, you have been in a coma for approximately four days," the nurse is matter-of-fact and impersonal. "That was quite a blow to the head you took. Your left arm is broken, and we had to remove several fragments of glass and plastic from your face and chest. All in all you were quite a project and we still have to run some tests, but now that you're up, I'd say you're going to be all right."

So much for the 'Vette. Urgent hoofsteps - I mean, footsteps - pound their way into the room. A roly-poly man with thinning red hair and a Douglass High jacket appears over my bed, then a tall bald man with a beard almost as thick as mine and a solidly built woman with the best fashion sense in the hospital. It's Coach Art, my father, and my sister, looking as happy and relieved as I've ever seen them.

Now it begins to sink in. I'm here. I'm myself again. They're all talking to me and it's kind of a blur, but finally I get a question in.

"Beth," I mutter. "Is she here?"

Art and Dad make some room around the bed, and there she is. She looks as beautiful as the day I married her: deep gray eyes, long brown hair falling down her back, a flannel shirt and jeans. She probably would have worn overalls to the wedding if they didn't stop her - and I hardly would have noticed. I thought I had the perfect future ahead of me. But my dreams of a football career never became reality, and it changed me. It changed how I treated her. Before long we were leading separate lives, more like roommates than spouses near the end. But seeing her again, I feel some of that closeness we once had, the feeling that I could tell her anything. And I have a lot to say now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


It took a few days, but I was finally released from the hospital. I've got several scars and a bad arm that will need to be in a sling for a while, but I'll be back to work soon. Today I'm taking time for something I never bothered with before: gardening, in the little house where we used to live together. Beth is alone there now. I have to admit it's a lot cleaner, and the garden looks great.

"This is the best time of year to replant them," Beth kneels in the soil near the edge, in the shade of the giant maple tree. "When the summer flowers are fading, but the leaves are still green."

I lower myself carefully to my knees. This would look pretty silly to anyone who was watching: a big, bearlike man trying to plant these tiny flowers. But I don't really care. This is something I have to do.

"Where are the new bulbs?" I ask, looking around the garden. All I see is some compost and a bag of fertilizer nearby.

"Right here. They multiply and grow their own, see?" Beth delicately scoops away handfuls of soil to reveal a clump of little green bulbs. "If you catch them at the right time, you can just take the new ones off and replant them. That's one thing I love about snowdrops: they never really die."

I smile. That sounds like another Snowdrop I know.

"Jay," she touches my good shoulder cautiously, like she's afraid I might break. In all the time I knew her she almost never cried, but she looks close to it now. "I'm really glad you're back."

"Aw, we all need a good car wreck once in a while," I shrug. "Keeps a man focused."

She smiles and shakes her head. In the old days she would have said "same old Jay." But I'm not quite the same old Jay, and we both know it. I haven't told her or anyone else about Equestria, not yet. Who would believe it? Some days I wake up and I don't quite believe it myself, but then...well, never mind that now.

"Seriously, though, it's good to be back," I say. "I know it doesn't make up for the past. But I'm glad I could do this with you."

I was never much of a husband to her, and I've had a lot of time alone to realize it. What we had is gone, and I'm not asking to get it back. But Beth will always be a part of me, and I'm grateful for the chance to show her that.

About an hour later, the flowers are safely planted and I'm driving home in the old blue Buick I'm borrowing from my dad. It's no vintage Corvette, but it'll have to do. My mind drifts to the cigarette pack in my pocket all the way home. The funny thing is, I haven't had one since I was in Equestria. Have I felt the urge? Oh, hell yes. Something like that doesn't just go away. But I haven't given in. In fact, I've just reached a decision.

I cross a small bridge over a creek and stop the car next to it. I take the pack out of my pocket, tip it over, and shake out the six remaining cigarettes into the water. I watch them float away, out of sight forever. I have new responsibilities these days, you might say, and I have to be around to take care of them.

I pull into the parking lot and grab the old pillowcase from the passenger's seat next to me, getting out of the car slowly so I don't aggravate the arm. I jog up the fire stairs of my apartment building, let myself into my room and shut the door quickly behind me. There's nothing in here that anybody else needs to see. The lamp in the cluttered living room is still on, and there's a sudden rustling sound on the ancient vinyl couch. A steaming mug of coffee sits on the end table next to it.

"It's just me," I announce gruffly.

She slowly peeks over the back of the couch at me.

"Okay," she sounds relieved. "Did you get them?"

"I got them." I hold up the pillowcase, full of spare bulbs from Beth's garden.

"Like, it's totally about time! I was getting hungry."

My guest scrambles off the couch, dropping an American history book on the arm. Her eyes are violet; she gets that from her dad. Her hair is silver, or maybe gray; let's just call it silver-gray. She's wears blue designer glasses and an antique pearl necklace. And...what else can I tell you about her?

Oh, yeah. She's a bratty, spoiled, know-it-all cartoon freaking pony.

"Mmm!" she exclaims as she samples one of the plants. "Very good. The presentation leaves much to be desired, but the flavor is worthy of a Spoon. And a Silver, for that matter."

"Oh, yeah! Your family. As in your mother and your father, who are going to KILL me as soon as Luna figures out what went wrong with Starswirl's spell and how to get you back to Equestria."

"Yeah...that's them," she laughs nervously. "Oh, well. They're, like, talking to us in our dreams. So at least they know we're okay. And until then, there's so much I can learn about human history! And human treasures. And human money. And human music. Oh, and human coffee!!" She grabs the mug and takes another huge gulp. "Mmmmm! Nectar of the goddesses..."

I sigh and heave myself onto the couch. "Oh, Celestia, why me?"

"Hey, don't hog the sofa! I have to watch 'Antiques Roadshow'."

"Then I guess you'll just have to share it, Spoonbutt."

She hesitates, sighs, then jumps onto the couch and snuggles up behind my knees. "Well, I guess it's all right, since we're both special ponies and everything. And special ponies have to stick together. I mean, can you imagine what it's like to be - pffft - not special? I don't even want to, like, think about it."

Someday, I'll find out just what the holy hell is going on here and how to fix everything. Until then, I have an extremely annoying but true friend by my side. And when this winter comes along, the cold won't seem so bad.

Author's Note:

Well, what more can I say, folks? We've arrived. It took much longer than I anticipated, but 'Freaking Cold' is done. :scootangel:

I'd like to thank all the readers who followed and commented on this story so faithfully: GreenPony32, BlueYoshi, Twilight_Shimmer, Shocks, femikol, PinkPearl, Mallory Shadowielder, Divine Path, honeyhoneyhoney, Szalhi, Shadow Bolt, Niighty, Rejigged, Zilverfoss, redsospine, kooarbiter, Braininthejar, Pinklestia, Ruise, wlam, destinedjagold, badninja, Canary In The Coal Mine, ferret, Hoppa_21, Texus, Pony With a Box, Fourpony, Dragonlover553, Skeeter the Lurker, Dusty Old Qrow, redtap, the one and only Minalkra, and many more.

Your roll deserves to be called. To your interest, feedback, and above all your patience, I owe much of this story's success. It was thanks to you that through all the RL changes, computer issues, and distractions, I was eventually able to finish it. I think the ending I chose implies, even demands, a sequel at some point in the future. We'll see how it all shakes out!

In the meantime, enjoy yourselves and stay warm. And at TheDriderPony's suggestion...

Jay's Cigarette Count: 0

Comments ( 76 )

I sure would love 1000 down votes

All's well that ends well. Maybe they're kid will be Snowdrop reborn or something. (Jay & Beth's)

Wait, is Silver Spoon human or a pony? Also how old is she psychically right now, going to be a little creepy having a grown man with a minor, unless I have forgotten her age or something. Overall this was a nice ending to this story and it would be fun to see Jay and Silver Spoon have some adventures on Earth.

This has been a very good story to read and I hope to see a sequel to read. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

is there going to be a sequel to the story

7974163
Silver is the latter. ("Oh, yeah. She's a bratty, spoiled, know-it-all cartoon freaking pony.") A weird situation, no doubt, but if a pony turned up in your apartment what else could you do with her? Turn her over to scientists? Worst possible thing. :raritycry: What's important, I think, is that it's not creepy to either of them. Just irritating.

Hot damn that ending was EXCELLENT! I laughed myself silly at Silver being in Jay's apartment, which oddly makes sense, I mean she DID sneak off to go with Jay on the trip to make the snowflakes, as such they are best friends so it is only natural something go wrong and she be dragged along :pinkiehappy:

I have to really thank you Tails for writing such a wonderful story, the wait between chapters was well worth it. You have an excellent talent at telling a story and I look forward to more stories from you in the future. I also look forward to hopefully seeing a sequel to this story, who knows maybe Jaydrop will make another appearance in Equestria :twilightsmile:

You know something is probably going to choke to death on those cigs, what a vile litterbug :fluttercry:

This has been a truly marvelous adventure, and I'd only make one change to it: One line at the very bottom of the last chapter to wrap everything up:

Jay's Cigarette Count: 0

It's been quite a fun ride.

Well dang, quite the ending to quite the story.
Thoroughly enjoyed this tale, it was very well written and stayed interesting the whole time!
Great job with this, and I do hope to see a sequel in the future!


7974244

if a pony turned up in your apartment what else could you do with her?

I'm thinking something along the line of hugs.
With permission, of course.
But that's just me.

Snowdrop will probably be back soon, so I just wanna say it's been nice knowing you. And go easy on those 'medicine sticks', okay? I mean, dragons breathe smoke all the time, but I don't think other animals are so good at that."

Snowddrop itself is going to be back? one part of me is happy, the other part is affraid that Snowdrop would be that ind of character that maybe could affect the main char in a akward way if there should be a sequel. You know what, I shouldn't already see the bad stuff happening before it does and just enjoy the story.

Oh yes thank you, at least Silver Spoon got accidently there. This is more to my liking.

I remembered Beth in some way, maybe I read it again if I know about a possible sequel, then it would be good to have that knowledge again.

Okay I should say that you did a really good job, I only complain if I really like a story.

Congrats! I was going to make a smarmy, sarcastic comment but it was about me and, honestly, this isn't about me. That was a good romp and while the end seemed to come really quickly once things happened, it ... worked. Very well at that. So yeah, good job!

Here's a cute thought, Beth going over to Jay's to check on him when he isn't home, lets herself in and meets Silverspoon

7974244

I agree turning her over would be something far to heartless. However they do make fast friends.

Yay! That was a really awesome story from start to finish! :twilightsmile: I'm very glad to see that Jay made it back to Earth safely and reunite briefly with Beth again. That was a heartwarming moment right there. :heart: I totally didn't expect Silver Spoon to travel to Earth with Jay, though. :rainbowhuh: Looks like Silver really wants to be with him after Jay's adventures in Equestria.

Anyways, once again, thanks for writing this awesome story for us! :rainbowdetermined2: I wish you good luck in your future works.

Is good ending, it can finish here just fine, but still open to the possibility of a sequel

Silver Spoon on Earth?:rainbowlaugh:

That is one of the greatest endings for a fic, that's for sure!:ajsmug::rainbowkiss::scootangel:

Yes it was continued!!!!!

Thank you for writing this!

Here's hoping we see Jay in a pony body once more some day!

Why can I imaging silver becoming anthro in a sequel and going to were jay works

7974527 accident sure though seems more likely she tackle hugged him as he went home

7974418
I agree. Line added! :raritywink:
7974269
You're very kind, T_S. I'm grateful for your patience and rewarding feedback.
7974479
Totally. How could you not hug Silver Spoon? She's been one of my favorite characters for a while and I really enjoyed developing her talent and her personality when Diamond Tiara's not around.
7974541
Thanks, Minalkra! I always had a really basic ending in mind, and I resisted the temptation to draw it out. It seems like that decision worked.
7974647
You know, I thought of having Silver travel to Earth on purpose, but I don't think she would go quite that far. It made more sense to me that she would get pulled into Jay's dimension accidentally. (Redsospine's idea of a tackle hug occurred to me as well.) She didn't plan to be here, but now that she is I'm sure she'll try to enjoy it to the fullest - and drive Jay crazy in the process. :rainbowlaugh:

7975296 Your very welcome! You deserved all the praise you have gotten for your story . :twilightsmile:

Like, how do i give this story more than 1 like?
Nice ending :pinkiehappy:

I just love the fiction, I really want to read some of slice of life between them, like what she does when he is outside of apartment, or when they decide to get out together because of one silly thing like museum, or when Beth comes to visit him and found her. Hehehehe

Well that was a really good read, and that ending. Also really good, it just makes me want more.

I definitely think one of my favorite lines in the story is when A HIGHLY Caffeinated Silver Spoon yells out. "I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!" :rainbowlaugh:

7976599
I loved writing that scene! The details of Silver's freak-out were from my own imagination, but I owe the "lizard queen" line to The Simpsons. I don't remember anyone catching that reference, so here it is! :pinkiesmile:

7976765 Oh dear Luna thats hilarious :rainbowlaugh:

Thank you for finishing this story. So many that have gone on this long (just short of two years) are left to dangle forever without a resolution. It frustrates me to no end. Kudos to you for seeing it through.

You handle the male-to-female conversion very well, to the point where I didn't even think about it after a while. You also handle the sighted/sightless transitions excellently.

You also deserve props for making me like the plot point of Jay's addiction to nicotine. I have very personal reasons to hate smoking, but you made me not mind it.

Of course Silver Spoon would find a way to mess up the portal spell and end up in the human world.

This doesn't need a sequel, but if you write one, I'll be on board 100%.

Thank you for a wonderful story.

7983017
7983034
That's enough, guys. If you're going to pick a fight don't do it in my comments section. :ajbemused:

7983049 it piss me when someone who say i have bad English.
it can't be help it with my hold life.

7983061 Personally, I think your English is pretty good. It seems that all you need to work on are pronouns and tenses, it seems like you've got the rest down pat.

So, TailsIsNotAlone, will your next story be about an OC or SI that's reborn as a a minor mare character in the show, tries to avoid interacting with the Mane six to avoid the apocalypse yet nothing goes as she planned and she changes things anyway?

7994997 Nah, I've got my HiE fix for now. I think I'm going to update Scholarly Pursuits pretty soon, and for the future I'm kicking around a very evil idea about Starlight Glimmer. We'll see what happens!

Had to include that twitst at the end didn't you :trollestia::moustache:

Imagine going to a grocery store you've never visited before, finding a nondescript bottle of ketchup in an abandoned shopping cart, and trying to put it back where it belongs.

I think that's a bad comparison because you can always ask an employee. :facehoof: :pinkiecrazy:

she has such a passion for history and preserving valuable things.
Reminds me of my love of Thomas and Friends classic destinations, set, and rolling stock. Classic is before the moving mouths aka cgi. :scootangel:
I will definitely make a note of their love to preserve things. :pinkiehappy:
I never read a story about Silver Spoon so this was new for me. :twilightsmile:

And until then, there's so much I can learn about human history! And human treasures. And human money. And human music. Oh, and human coffee!!
She just had a Twilight moment. :twilightsmile:

"Hey, don't hog the sofa! I have to watch 'Antiques Roadshow'."
:rainbowlaugh: very fitting.

And special ponies have to stick together. I mean, can you imagine what it's like to be - pffft - not special? I don't even want to, like, think about it."

I almost liked her for that moment. I just had to add this.

8000464 I couldn't resist. :twilightsmile:

8005251 Thank you for all your entertaining comments! I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. My mom and I used to watch Antiques Roadshow together when I was a kid, and I've bought a few antiques in my time (cheap ones, 'cause I'm broke) so that's kind of where my whole headcanon of Silver Spoon comes from.

I like how something came back with him from Equestria to Earth, to show that the story actually happened and wasn't just a fever dream. It didn't have to be a spoon, but that was a nice touch all the same.

Well that was adorable. I'm seriously impressed you managed to take such a silly concept and roll with it for such an entertaining adventure. I liked how you made Silver approachable, without making her less of a brat than she was in the show. Writing not nice characters as protagonists is hard to do! You gave a vivid, or... un-vivid picture of—okay, wait. You gave an un-vivid, un-picture of what it's like to be blind, using her disability to great effect, lovingly describing how she couldn't see, instead of just omitting what she would see. The story was exciting, even thrilling in places. I was genuinely surprised at many points, yet there was enough foreshadowing of those points that they weren't just plot holes. Your concept of Equestria was interesting, very multi-layered and complex, yet not self contradictory. Familiar enough to warm our hearts, yet just alien enough to give us a thrill. Good job! :twilightsmile:

Mooooom! I told you to not talk to the zombie! :raritydespair:

I would say "Well done", but that wouldn't nearly cover the sheer comedy gold of this fic. :twilightsmile:

8018732 Good to see you again! I really appreciate your feedback. The story started off as, in the words of another reader, "cracky nonsense fun" that I wasn't putting any real thought into, but then I decided it should have a bit more drama and adventure, so the story had to make some kind of sense. I'm glad you enjoyed the plot; I really had no plan for what was going to happen, just a rough outline in my head, so the story unfolded very naturally, including the twists with the hydra and the changelings.

As for the world-building, I figured that Equestria must be a volatile place overflowing with magical energy, and only species that could direct and control that energy would be able to thrive. The Running of the Leaves, the Winter Wrap-Up, and the concept of the first snow that was introduced in the 'Snowdrop' animation - all this stuff we've seen isn't just ceremonial. It serves a practical and necessary purpose, which is to manage the weather. Leave out just one of those steps and all hell breaks loose. Going even deeper in, it could be that the mythical Windigoes from the Hearth's Warming Eve story were just a metaphor for the nasty winters and how the unicorns, earth ponies and pegasi had to work together to survive them. (That's my headcanon, anyway.)

8022647 Thanks! I had a blast writing this. :pinkiehappy:

8028443
It shows. It really shows. :twilightsmile:

An HiE(kinda) story where the MC actually gets back home in a tasteful way with a nice hook/ending to leave the author some options in the future or a gag ending. I like it.

Amazing ending, you finished it so well! Great job!

Login or register to comment