• Published 10th Mar 2015
  • 4,748 Views, 23 Comments

Simplicity - Sindal



King Sombra and Shining armour spend some time together and reflect on their conjoined life and how it has changed since Sombra's clensing

  • ...
11
 23
 4,748

Past's Present

Sombra sat kneeling on the carpet in the middle of the room, the sole inhabitant. Not a thread of clothing or regalia was on the king, bare as any common pony. The magic based fire-pit was at his side but it was not lit. The windows were drawn closed by silken curtains and the place was still, a ghost of sunlight on the edges of the cloth hinted at the early time of day. The room was more cluttered than usual as well, as various books had been collected from the shelves and some of the artefacts had been moved about the place as they had been examined slightly, though there was still some logic and order to where they now stacked and stayed. The flowers in the study hung in their vases over the edge as if they were wilting, yet they bloomed quite widely in a cyan and red mixture. The king’s eyes were fixed on one of the artefacts as it hovered in a containing glass, floating with almost sentient defiance. He didn’t move, just glared at the object with a suspicious scowl, calculating and analysing approaches. After all, he worked best in the shadows.

“Sombra?”

The king turned his head to the only door the study had, slightly ajar, where the call had come from. He raised his voice and called in return “I’m here” and turned his head back to the artefact.

Some seconds passed in more silence as Sombra’s eyes darted to the various other objects in the room. He had already checked them for usefulness and none seemed so, but solutions were often overlooked in haste or a blocked mind. Sombra heard the hooved steps at the door and the solid soft thud of it giving way.

He looked over again to find Shining’s head in the opening, peering inside before entering. “Morning” he murmured.

“Good morning Shining. Have you slept well?” Sombra queried as the other stallion made his way over to him.

Shining’s white coat stood out slightly against the dimly lit room. There was no armour to hide its pearly splendour as he marched slowly towards the king. He dipped and leaned his head over to greet Sombra with a lingering peck to the lips “I did” he said as they parted. Sombra smiled and gave a pleased snort.

“What?”

“You seem to have awoken in a more amorous mood today.” Sombra replied as he petted Shining’s cheek. He could feel the other nuzzle into his hoof.

“You wanted me to be more intimate when we’re alone. I’m trying.”

Sombra regarded the statement as he examined the other’s features, his hoof now under the guard pony’s chin. His eyes were long accustomed to seeing in any variant of dark, but Shining’s still glimmered faintly as he gazed into them. Sleep still dressed his face and his usually smooth flattened mane was in a slight haze of shaggy unrest “You’re quite the natural then.”

Shining broke out into a small smile and looked to the large covered opening “It’s early. You’re not usually up this time”

“Apologies, a dark thought stirred me awake this morning.” Sombra replied, watching Shining move over to the curtain and ungracefully shove them open. Some part of Sombra enjoyed the fact that Shining rarely used his magic for practicality sake. A warm yet still subdued light slipped into the room, dancing on the various crystal and glass surfaces. The low lighting had cast a shadow of much more serious laboratorial work and magic study. Now it just looked like a slightly unkempt work room.

“When’s your first duty today?”

“Not soon if I recall correctly. I won’t be needed till mid-afternoon. I’d wanted the extra resting period to prepare for tomorrows negotiations. The crystal empire has lost many of its trade routes and the past year has only just started showing promise with neighbouring cities as you well know.” Sombra rattled off while looking at a chart on the wall. He counted the branches that still needed to be linked in trade as they used to, as well as other newer routes that needed capitalization “Why, are there any matters that I have not been briefed on?”

Shining Armour nodded “No, just keeping current. You weren’t there when I woke up so I thought you’d maybe left early for more business already.”

Sombra squinted at his mate as he spoke and the way the morning’s rays set his coat ablaze like any true diamond. A dark pulse in the air hung over its splendour and tarnished it…He would not have that.

“…Shining, I would like your thoughts” Sombra stated.

“On what?”

“Your current ones. All of them. They are my current and only concern.” The king stated with sudden seriousness. Shining stared at Sombra’s muzzle a while, slightly confused. When he gave no reply except for a yawn the king shifted to the side and tapped the rugged floor next to him “Come, at my side.”

Still giving Sombra a bewildered look, Shining rolled his shoulders in defeat and walked over, nestling beside the king shoulder to shoulder.

“Now then” Sombra looked the other stallion right in the eyes, attempting to talk a gentler tone but really only deepening his voice “Please, share your thoughts with me. What is on the mind of my mate?”

“Right now I’m wondering what got into you”

“You have. I already told you. You may think this a jest or something else in that nature but it is of grave concern to me. Something is bothering you, something about me. I want to know what it is.” said Sombra, limbs crossed tightly “Do not insult me by telling me it’s is nothing of importance. Your problems and wellbeing is of the highest priority in my life and I won’t let anypony, including you or me, stand in the way of my care for you.”

Shining blinked at Sombra, his guard caught “Well…” he murmured and looked away, fidgeting under the king’s gaze.

“Do not make me beg Shining. Because I will beg, and it is not an attractive trait of mine.”

“…” Shining looked back at the king after finding no answers in the interior around him. The ruby red eyes had softened a bit from their glare, where concern was creeping in a gentler ruby tint. “I guess…I just miss you a bit” he said finally.

Sombra unfolded his limbs and gently placed a hoof over Shining’s “There is nothing to be embarrassed about missing anypony Shining, and you certainly don’t need to hide that from me.”

“I know, just…” Shining sighed and shook his head “I’m just being dramatic”

“Perhaps you are, but that is natural.” Sombra slowly stroked the hoof under his “Why is it you feel you could not share this with me? Did you think I would see you as weak? A hindrance?”

“You’re busy with royal duties a lot and you’ve been going out of the empire alot this month. It’s not like I can just tell you to spend time with me instead.”

“I don’t see why not.” Sombra replied “These ‘royal duties’ of mine do not take preference over you and never will. They are certainly not a pleasant as your company nor do I long for the thrill of establishing networks or authorizing treaties as much as I long for you when we are apart.”

Shining hung his head and found the carpet design interesting again “…I feel silly when I think about it. But I still don’t want to bother you. You had so much work to do to get the empire back, and then running like how it was supposed to.”

Sombra reached the other limb out and stroked the base of Shining’s shaggy mane down, attempting again to make his voice more caring. Shining’s show of insecurity stabbed at heartstrings “I apologise Shining. I’m aware that I sound like an abusive father trying to discipline his colt over his wrongs but that is not my intention. That is why I want you not to fear of telling me these things, or anything. Should you wish any time of mine devoted to you then it shall be given. Should you wish to tell me anything, I will listen. No question you ask me that I know the answer to is too personal. I have no past to hide, no secrets at present or a future to scheme toward.”

Shining looked up at Sombra again. The morning light had just about reached where they knelt together. Sombra’s serious concerned face stared back at him supportively, his mane in a similar state of undress yet it suited the king more than Shining’s. “…We didn’t get to meet like a normal couple…I just feel bad trying to pry into your past” he smiled a bit “Doesn’t sound like it was fun for anypony”

“Is there something you’ve wanted to know?”

Shining glanced around the room a bit, eyeing some of the floating magical items before he asked“…How did you get corrupted? I’ve heard stories but those don’t really add up. None of them mention you used to be normal. They all just say you were this dark cruel king who got banished.”

Sombra glanced up too, following Shining’s gaze best that he could. He took a breath “Shining, have I ever explained what my magic is?”

“Isn’t it just black crystals and smoke clouds?”

Sombra laughed. The darker tone of the room cracked with Sombra’s smile and the hum of his laughter “Well crystals are just a theme my magic has taken, similar to how Cadence’s can be embodied in the crystal heart with her deep understanding of love. But it does not explain where my magic’s core resides.” he paused while smiled sadly “My magic comes from darkness…the darkness that plagues the heart”

“Huh?” Shining tilted his head “What’s that mean?”

Sombra looked at his horn, demonstrating with a small crackling bubble of dark magic forming at the tip for a few seconds. It cracked red around his curved horn menacingly before dissipating. Shining felt a chill take the room for a brief second as it did, a split-second wave of fear. “Doubt, sadness, anxiety, loneliness, anguish, hopelessness…these are the emotions I respond to. I sense and feel them in the air around me as they seep from ponies who bottle their emotions. I always have been able to, even as a young colt, the inner despair of others hung about them like a miasma ready to pull them to their depths. In time, I learnt that I could draw on, inflict, control and steal these emotions.”

Shining nodded slowly, and realisation stuck him “...Wait, that means that-”

“-Indeed, It does.” Sombra smiled somewhat sheepishly. He’d never really thought the explanation of his magic would be more embarrassing than grim. It was a pleasant change “More so than most mates, you have found one who always knows when you are sad or troubled.” Quickly the king added “In my defence I don’t try to sense it, it is simply the way my eyes see the world.”

Shining blinked a bit more then broke into a grin “I guess that explains why you always ask me what’s wrong…”

“Last night I only managed to distract you.”

“Did a hell of a job”

“You make it so easy” Sombra grinned as Shining turned a shy eye “It’s one of the traits that I adore about you Shining. You are easy to please and so eager to reciprocate…”

Shining mumbled something under his breath. As cute as it was to see the stallion become bashful, Sombra wondered if there would come a day when Shining would not look away. “So what happened?” he piped up

Sombra cleared his throat and traced his memory back to the origins of his downfall, a path filled with thorny brambles only at the end of the road “Now that you know of my magic, you can probably imagine the kind of affect it has on the psyche of any normal pony. As a lad growing up I never had much chance to tell others that misery was my gift, let alone the court. My parents never knew. My people certainly did not. Still, I had to tame it. And so I did as I grew, secretly tapping into the unspoken truths my horn whispered in my mind’s ear. By the time I was of age to begin any official proper ruling I had all but mastered and discovered all there was that I was capable of….”

Sombra’s lips creased back into a purse “Being born of darkness…I thought myself immune to its effects. I attribute this to adolescent pride but still cannot excuse myself. In truth I am only more resistant to these shadowy thoughts than most…immunity to the inner blackness does not exist. Not even the spawn of Tartarus comprehend its creeping clutch. Foolhardy was I, seeking a positive purpose my magic could give to my people…I began to burden myself with their struggles on unnatural levels….”

Shining nodded slowly and just listened to the deep voice. He expected to see pain or sorrow, but all he found was a frown of serious disappointment in the king’s face “But a lesson I now know, is that ripping the sadness out of others does not work as practically as it may sound at first. They may find themselves quicker to cheer in that one moment…but their problems have not left them…I tried the exercise on my parents first. They were deeply troubled individuals, riddled with layers of stress under their calm regal faces. Not unkind, simply troubled as if they knew not what to do with all the responsibility at times. It had been a success at the time, the layers peeling and with time their attitudes changed for the better behind closed doors. Naturally I was thrilled, overjoyed even…But that was just two ponies. In the short time I ruled with conscious mind I pulled nearly the entire collective weight of my empire under my care. It worked for some time, the ponies were more productive, thrived…and I was content, seeing the world I knew flourish.”

Sombra looked over at Shining, checking to see traits of disinterest. He certainly felt somewhat pathetic retelling the story of his past’s folly “Then one day…there was nothing special about it otherwise...my shadow slipped out from beneath me and fled down the hallway I stood in. I gave chase and tracked it all the way to the throne room. There it stood, myself in a collection of shifting pitch inky black darkness stared back at me like some haunting beast, bared fangs, blood eyed and sitting on my throne, mocking me with laughter...for it knew I could not hope to best it.”

The king went silent for some time. Shining saw a shiver of disgust run through him “…From that point onward is where history knows the rest…”

“…Do you think it would happen again?”

Sombra looked at his mate carefully. There was no fear that he could see or feel. He saw instead the face of a knight, conviction to a cause and concern for those they swore to protect. That alone was heart-warming enough “I do not know honestly know…but I won’t repeat what I once did, knowing it played a hoof in the process. That is something we all can learn from the earth ponies. They have no horn it simplify tasks, but seldom have they been the cause of a catastrophe that threatened the state of Equestria. So do I follow their example, and find the roots of doubt to weed instead of pruning the hedges.”

“Even if it does, we won’t let it win again.”

“…We…” Sombra nodded solemnly at the word “Not I, but ‘we’…yes, that is a key difference as well. Knowing that makes me certain it won’t.”

Shining looked up, and stared ahead. Sombra traced his view again, though it took no fool to see where they had gone. Shining stood slowly from the king’s comfortable side and slowly walked towards it, the object he’d found the king staring at “What’s this? You keep looking at it.”

Sombra rose as well and approached the artefact. Sealed in glass it looked harmless enough, but he knew better “This is the Alicorn Amulet.”

“This thing? How’d it end up here?” Shining inspected the amulet from different angles “Twilight spoke about it that one time an Ursa minor attacked Ponyville.”

“I’m well aware of its exploits and adventures in my absence.” Sombra scowled at the jewellery. “In truth, this amulet belongs to the crystal empire originally. It is an old heirloom of the ruling line, owned by whoever had currently taken the crown.” Sombra tapped the glass gently. The sleek well-made amulet sparked red in its chamber in response but did not show any more signs of a fight. “It served only as a magical amplifier, should we need the strength to face threats of grand proportions. Luna and Celestia were the only alicorns in that age; no pony’s power could hope to rival theirs. This amulet was the crystal empire’s reply.”

“It turns ponies evil doesn’t it?” Shining replied, still squinting at its eerily red glow. Some part of it looked alive; the Alicorn depicted stared back at him.

“It wasn’t supposed to…it was merely a booster and nothing more…” Sombra sighed in frustration “That is of course, until it was passed down to me. When I performed my syphoning of darkness across every reach of my empire, the amulet was the key to allowing me extended reach over my empire. Even the brief times I wore it to perform one act, one can only imagine the immense level of pure unfiltered negative emotions that now swells inside its confines. All it can do now is bide it’s time and wait for a new host to poison with promises and lies.”

Shining leaned away from the necklace slowly “Can you restore it?”

Sombra ran a hoof through his thick tussled mane “In theory yes. But there is not exactly a manual for handling sacred treasures of times long gone, lest you break them further” He walked slowly to the other side of the room, analysing a map idly as he explained “ The best solution I have found have boiled down to two options. One is riskier, as I try to syphon and destroy the darkness from its core. The other is the more sound option, by utilizing the crystal heart.” Sombra sighed again “Alas, the latter is one I have no control over. It is fuelled by belief of the ponies, and Cadence has shown much more affinity towards it than I. My explorations in the matter continue, but having the amulet cleansed would be a tremendous milestone in our history books.” He said and grumbled as he started looking for a scroll beneath the chart.

Shining turned away from the amulet and looked at the other stallion. More light was seeping into the room, morning almost fully realised. A pleasant glow lit the king’s one side and hid the other in the shadows. The crystal shapes on his cutie mark glimmered in the light “You’d make an awesome Alicorn”

Sombra looked over his shoulder and gave Shining an amused grin “While I appreciate the sentiment Shining, I don’t foresee that as a possibility.” He refocused his gaze in front of him at the still unfound scroll and rummaged on absentmindedly “Alicorns are an embodiment of harmony. They become so only after being carefully tempered through mind and action with some understanding of its flow within the world, as well as the balance that needs to be maintained. It takes much more than just having powerful magic or nobility. I most of all seem a most unlikely candidate, given that my gift goes directly against harmony.”

Shining furrowed his eyebrows “No it doesn’t”

“Oh? And how is that then?” Sombra asked, genuinely interested.

Shining walked a bit closer to the king. He gathered his thoughts in a few moments of silent thinking while Sombra waited patiently, not facing him still. “Darkness isn’t evil. It’s not the opposite of harmony; it’s just another part of it. Without darkness ponies wouldn’t know or feel like we even need harmony. Harmony won’t be a thing if darkness wasn’t there. And you understand darkness. You understand what it is, what it can do and how to deal with it. You see the dark in me and everypony else all the time, you know it’s something that doesn’t go away and that it’s something everypony needs to learn to live with. You’re part of the other side of the balance in Equestria, and it’s not the side most ponies want to be on but that doesn’t make you the bad guy.”

Sombra turned around slowly and faced his guard captain, an attentive and interested look on his face. Somehow looking at it made Shining more confident in his speech “Your gift made you who you are today and it shows in everything you do. Some ponies would never have been able to walk in your horse shoes, with all the things you did and all the things you’re doing now. But you don’t show fear at the challenges you’re given, you don’t doubt your decisions, you don’t sit in your throne room all sad and mopey hoping things work out the way they planned while getting other ponies to do all the work. You don’t even consider those things as choices, because you know what the dark does. You face them all, your fears, your hardships and your troubles without evening blinking. You show all of us that it’s ok to be scared or sad, as long as you do something about it. The way you rule and the examples you set teaches how to shake them off and the elements of harmony only work when we’re strong enough to fight the dark off.”

Shining scrunched his face in thought. It was one thing he wanted to prove Sombra wrong in with all of his heart. He stared Sombra right in his bright red eyes as he closed off “My sister, Cadence, Celestia. They all just build the army and make it tough. You know the enemy…doesn’t matter how big your army is if they can’t fight. And I am proud, to be a soldier in that battle with you.”

Sombra stared at him, eyes widened. “That was…beautiful, Shining” he said, a handsome smile curving onto his muzzle.

Shining reflected the smile best he could, with great ease “Hey my sis’s super smart. You learn a thing or two along the way.” He said while tapping his head cheerfully.

Sombra closed the gap between them in a slow stride. There were moments where he just felt the urge to be close to the other stallion. “I had never thought of my gift in that light…it is an interesting take to say the least, refreshing at best. Such an apt masculine view as well.”

“You never talked about it with anypony else did you?”

“No…no I didn’t. But I’m working to remedy that in this life. It is a mistake my past has made, over burdening myself with my own ideals even when they are for the sake of others. Mine are no good if they don’t bare fruit.”

“I know…” Shining nuzzled the other stallion, nibbling at the fine black fur just a bit “I’ve seen you trying. You’re a lot better than you think, especially with the pony folk.”

Sunlight was streaming into the study now. Morning had more than been born and was greeting the world eagerly. The study was bright and lively, all shadows tucked away in corners where they could not be seen. The flowers perked upward slightly to catch the light, the various treasures started to gleam in their encasings. Some invisible wind had blown some cheer inside as the light danced along the pristine crystal walls and art.

“…Thank you, Shining” Sombra murmured “I had awoken this morning with such an odd mix of anxiety and cause, thinking of the coming days. I had not known what to do with it truly…and you looked so precious in slumber, I could not wake you.” He chuckled a bit as Shining glared at him playfully “But I am glad for it now, that we could spend this morning together and share what has been shared.” the king studied the time from out the corner of his eye “For now time beckons us both elsewhere.”

“When are you coming back from your meeting?”

“The morning after tomorrow”

“Whenever you’re free then. I still wanted to ask you how you managed to get the empire back just like that.”

Sombra laughed again. “Oh that is a terribly dull tale. I will have to gussy it up so as not to bore you. Perhaps I’ll add how my honour was tested by battling a dragon horde to claim the rights of the empire as my own, all for the amusement of our dear Celestia of course.”

“Sounds good to me” Shining patted the other’s shoulder comfortingly. “I’ll be here”

They gave their dismissals, but lingered in the room. Somehow it had become so much cosier for them since entering it. In another life they would have had the time to settle down and spend the weekend like a normal couple. Perhaps go out to the fair and partake in the festivities or rides. Perhaps visit friends and be teased in good nature for their status as a couple. But then again, in another life they wouldn’t be together in the same room enjoying each other’s company. The life they had was as good as either deemed it needed to be.

Still lingering…

Forearms beginning to lock around one another’s neck…

Making weak unjustified reasons to remain longer…

Muzzles and lips at unrest…

Fur and mane so pleasant to the touch…

Throats somewhat dry from all the talking, but only one damp source nearby...

“…Sweet Celestia you smell good…”

A soft, deep rumbling chuckle “It’s the darkness…adds some robustness to the scent when you wear it correctly…”

-Fin-

Comments ( 8 )

5785326
it was supposed to be over last time but that was just an extra since people asked so nicely

If the need arises I may write more of them but ill need to find some justification for it lol

Thanks tho

5785578
Lel
>make sombra and shining kiss
>get all the views

Awwwwww yeeeeeee

Wow, in all my days have i never seen someone pull off a actual som x shine fic so well. bravo! :twilightsmile:

5786106
It's not like theres alot of them, lol

5786140

well ive read about 12 i think? (i kinda seek them out) So to bad, you have to feel good about yourself anyway.:ajsmug:

my favorite fic ever, keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment