• Published 10th Mar 2015
  • 2,083 Views, 38 Comments

Unexpected Bonds - Sky Melody



After a freak accident, Rainbow Dash has to relearn the basics of flying and walking. An unexpected stallion turns to be her guide and trainer. They become fast friends, but will they discover more on this adventure of friendship?

  • ...
4
 38
 2,083

Chapter 1

Rainbow Dash soared through the air, the wind flying through her mane and tail, as she glided around the obstacle course of clouds with ease. She was at one with the sky, the clouds and the air. She eased into her routine by doing a few flips and barrel-rolls along the way. She was a Wonderbolt on her opening show, about to wow the audience with her amazing stunts and daredevil tricks. Her brain screamed at her to stop, but she wasn’t finished. She narrowed her eyes and pushed her arms forward as she went in for a dive. The wind whipped around her body, pushing her into a tight cone.

The ground was nearing. 500 feet.

She smirked as her wings were flung back by the sheer force of air, squeezing them behind her.

400 feet.

A few buildings came into view and she grinned happily. The Friendship Castle came into view and she knew she was nearing her grand finale.

300 feet.

Ponies down below stopped what they were doing and looked up, at the pegasi flying at a straight angle downwards. A daring feat, that only experienced flyers could do.

200 feet.

She showed no fear as she mentally prepared herself for what she was about to do. The Sonic Rainboom? No, she had other plans.

100 feet.

The ponies’ jaws dropped and one fell backwards slightly, from being shocked. Their eyes widened as they stopped in their tracks. A few fillies and colts from the playground in Ponyville School stopped what they were doing and ignored Ms Cheerilee as they watched her, Scootaloo, namely, jumping around from excitement.

50 feet.

Almost there, not now, almost, she thought to herself as she tightened herself as much as possible, an air cone almost forming.

20 feet.

Rainbow shut her eyes; this was the part she- Rainbow ‘Danger’ Dash- was scared about, even though she wouldn’t admit it.
She thrust her wings out sideways and lifted her neck, keeping at as much of a point as possible. Any wrong move and she could easily break her wings or worse. Rainbow flattened her wings out and tilted the front feathers and primary feathers upwards slightly, just enough to catch the wind and change her direction. She engaged her air-breaks, temporarily, at the same time and was forced forwards, when her hooves were just mere inches away from touching the ground and severely damaging- or killing- herself.

She opened one eye, just in time to see a nearby apple tree, getting closer and closer to her with each short second. That wasn’t planned…luckily she was fast.

Rainbow reacted quickly to this unexpected obstacle and tucked in all her hooves tightly whilst curing her wings inwards. Once she was through, there was another tree, so she dodged it with ease, using the same technique as before, only this time she tilted to the left slightly to fit through a large gap in the branches.

When did I take a wrong turn and end up at Sweet Apple Acres, I thought I was nearer Fluttershy's house, she thought.

The trees kept coming and she kept weaving around and through them, doing the occasional barrel-roll to even everything out and keep her hooves from colliding with branches. However, what she didn’t take into account was her speed slowing down after not being able to flap her wings more than once or twice at most between each one. With each tree, dodging became more and more difficult.

Rainbow took a different route, and attempted to veer of the course off the trees. She dodged one more apple tree and then tilted her left wing downwards and her right wing upwards whilst putting her hooves in front of her, in case she did collide with a tree to cushion her fall. She thrust her neck backwards and went left. Her right wing caught on a branch and she was thrown upside down and off to the left.

“Ow, ow, ow, ow!” she cried out as she tumbled around for a few spins before landing flat on her face. “Bleugh!” she spat the dirt out of her mouth and sat on her haunches, her head pounding. She glanced at her legs and her eyes widened, her left leg was fine, save for few bruises, but her right leg was twisted at a wrong angle. What worried her most was that she didn’t feel any pain.

Rainbow stood up and was greeted with a sharp pain shooting through her right leg. “Owwww,” she winced, “now I feel pain…” she whimpered slightly and flopped back down on her haunches. She turned around to examine her wings, yet again her left one was fine, but her right one was bent at a funny angle. “Great, looks like I’m grounded to a bed,” she muttered as she watched blood drip down from her nose, “and I have a nosebleed.”

She looked behind at her legs, her left one had a large cut down the length of it and the right one was badly bruised. A bit of fur had also been burned off because of the friction of the fall.

A chill ran through her spine as the wind blew freely through the orchard and her head started to pound more as she shivered. “Dammit,” she groaned as she had no way of moving to anywhere else. The barn wasn't in sight and there was no familiar scent of Apple baked goods, meaning she was on the outskirts of the orchard. Work had long stopped, as it getting closer to the evening, around the same time the Apples would have their tea.

Somepony must have seen her fall right? There was a crowd of ponies where she originally dived after all…

Rainbow tried to stand up again, only for a larger pain to travel through her arm and up to her shoulder. She shouted for help, but nobody came. She collapsed onto the ground slightly and curled up into a ball, hoping that somepony would come by and notice the rainbow in and amongst the large apple orchard.

Author's Note:

What? You may ask, another soarindash story and two new stories in two days?! What is this madness? :trixieshiftright:

It's my brain not shutting up at night and keeping me awake :/

Yes, this is very short but it's more of a prologue. The actual story will begin next chapter! (And be longer)

Thanks for reading! :pinkiehappy: