• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,178 Views, 404 Comments

Climbing the Mountain 2 - Talon and Thorn



Baron Mounty Max may have thought his troubles were over with the recent changes to the Night Court but instead they may have just started as he has to deal with host of new problems during his second session at court

  • ...
2
 404
 2,178

PreviousChapters Next
46) Month 5 - Hearthswarming

Consciousness returned slowly to Fragrant. She screwed up her face against the early afternoon sun trying to penetrate her eyes. She would turn away from it but she felt the heat of Max’s body spooning against her back, she didn’t want to wake him if she could help it. She raised a hoof to her mouth to try to smother a yawn. Why couldn’t every Hearthswarming feel like this one? Actually, why couldn’t every day be like this one? No responsibilities, little reason to even get out of bed and a handsome stallion sleeping wrapped around her. Really, this was a little slice of paradise.

Giving a gurgle, her stomach protested that maybe a few things should be added to the day to make it perfect. Still, dinner was always served late in her house on Hearthswarming day. After the efforts of organising the clearing of a city most of its inhabitants tried to sleep in until the mid-afternoon. It hadn’t always been like that though, a few years ago the patter of hooves from Dangerous, Forming or Fluttering would have been heard long ago as the foals searched the house for presents. Barging into rooms to try and find out why the big ponies didn’t want to play. She smiled, she really missed that time, having foals around really made the holiday, it just wasn’t the same without them.

Without them...

Despite Max resting against it she felt a block of ice flowing down her neck. How... how could she have forgotten? She felt her stomach heave again, this time forcing bile up her throat. How could she have forgotten what her duty was today? Just who she had to extend holiday greetings to? What kind of pony could forget something like that? Tears started to gather. It had been twenty years, but that should not matter, twenty, two hundred, two thousand she should never, ever, forget what had happened, what she had lost, what she had caused! Maybe sensing the type of creature he was sharing a bed with she felt Max began to stir. She couldn’t let him see her like this! She would have to hide just for a little longer so as to not ruin his holiday as well.

“Mornin’ Fragrant,” he mumbled squeezing her tighter for a moment.

“It’s afternoon,” she managed after a few moments squeezing her eyes closed to try and force the tears back in. It was just as well he could not see her face.

“Huh? Wha,” he mumbled again before letting out a huge yawn and resting his head in her mane again. “Afternoon? I suppose it is, we were up late last night.”

“I had a good time last night, Max. You’re a good pony, you make me happy, maybe happier than I deserve,” said Fragrant blinking.

“Fragrant?” asked Max struggling to sit up, “Are you alright? You sound a little...”

“I’m fine Max,” she said sitting up as well, her best mask firmly in place. “I just don’t tell you often enough how happy you make me.”

“Well, me too you know,” he said awkwardly, “you know how I feel about you.”

“Yes, I do,” she smiled weakly, “you wear your heart on your sleeve.” Unlike me.

The two of them sat next to each other in silence for a moment, to Fragrant it felt like they were a million miles apart despite almost touching.

“Oh, happy Hearthswarming,” said Max eventually, “I got you something.” He hopped out of bed causing Fragrant to tense for a moment. She couldn’t quite loose the fear that he’d vanish through the floor. You never knew just how quickly somepony could be gone.

“Happy Hearthswarming,” she replied. “I did as well,” she reached for the drawer by her bed and opened it to reveal the silk wrapped box within. For a moment she found she couldn’t touch it, was it too much? Would he think it meant more than it did, or would he think it meant less? Just as she worked up the nerve to touch it she felt Max next to her again. In his hooves were three parcels. Two were shapeless masses wrapped neatly in plain brown paper and the third a rather less professionally covered, but more colourful, box shaped package. She grabbed her own present and laid it on the bed.

“These ones are from Mrs G,” said Max passing over one of the brown parcels. “they’ll be scarfs.”

“Well thank you for ruining the surprise,” she said dryly.

“Sorry, but they’re always scarfs. She has some very good points, but imaginative presents aren’t one of them. I suppose I'm not that better given what I got Mellow.” Fragrant quickly unwrapped the present to reveal a long brown knitted scarf with her cutie mark picked out at both ends. Max’s was matching with his own mark on it. “They're very warm,” he said wrapping it around his neck.

“True,” she agreed, “and you should have mentioned it to me that you were feeling cold. It’s easy to forget that you’re not as resistant as a pegasus, there’s no need to suffer.”

“But then we wouldn’t need to share body heat!” he protested pouting.

Fragrant stifled a giggle. Even at her lowest he made her feel so happy, she didn’t deserve him. “Now this is for you,” she said passing over her own package.

He took it in his hooves and gave it a gentle shake. “Not breakable?” he asked slightly too late.

“No.”

He carefully took the end of the ribbon in his mouth and pulled, unwrapping the bow and causing the silk to drop away from a velvet covered box a little larger than his hoof. Flipping the box open revealed an anklet similar to the one he had on at the moment, only much more intricate. There were several small gems set into the etched silver which glittered in the sunlight. Max turned to around slowly in his hooves. He paused near the clasp where she knew sat carefully concealed engravings of both his and her cutie marks. Intertwined in the same way some engagement tokens were patterned. His brow furrowed before he looked her in the eyes quizzically. She lowered her gaze blushing. “It has a cloud walking spell cast on it as well, it is... rather more complex than the one you have at the moment. It will draw its power from your own aura to sustain it,” she explained.

“It’ll last for ever?” he asked in awe.

“No, such magic is... well is almost unknown, but it should last a lifetime, give or take.”

“This... this is too much, this must have cost a fortune!”

In truth it was expensive, even in her terms as one of the richest ponies in Equestria, but the idea had struck her when she was planning his trip to Cloudsdale. She couldn’t shake the idea of his spell wearing off and him falling through the clouds, always just out of reach until he hit the ground. She closed her eyes for a moment. “It is a present, I want you to have it,” she looked him in the eye. “Please!”

He paused for a second then nodded. “Thank you,” he said clipping it onto his arm opposite the other.

“There is a key,” she reached into the box and withdrew it. “You should keep it safe. It won’t be easy to take off without it.”

He held the key on its chain for a moment before passing it back to her. “You keep it,” he said, “I’d only lose it after all.” He smiled gently.

“O-ok,” she said blushing again.

“Now, my present to you. It’s nothing like yours, just something I thought you might like,” he said holding out the last parcel.

She carefully peeled the paper off piece by piece while Max waited impatiently. Once she had finished a wooden box about the size of a brick was revealed. She carefully turned it around, the outside had Hearthswarming scenes carved on it. The three tribes working together around a flame covered the top, the smoke billowing up like the leaves of a tree. “Thank you Max, it’s beautiful,” she said.

“My cousin Greenleaves made it,” he said, “she’s always been good at carving. Now open it!”

She carefully manipulated the simple brass latch and it opened out to reveal a segmented tray, each compartment containing seeds of all shapes and sizes. Some she recognised, but most she didn’t.

“You remember that field in Nulpar? Where we met the Tors?” he asked. “Well you seemed to like it so much up there that I collected some of the seeds. I got others from a few plants I found during my tour. They’re probably nothing special but I thought you might be able to do things with them-”

“Max,” she interrupted hugging him. “They’re perfect. I’ve been meaning to start a garden in Canterlot. Once I get them going I can try to cross them with my sky vines. Nulpar and Cloudsdale mixed together, it’ll be perfect. To create new life, it’ll be...” Once again she remembered what she had to do today and her face fell.

“Fragrant are you-” asked Max worriedly.

“I’m, I’m fine thank you. Your present is wonderful, perfect.”

“Yeah well, it seemed a good idea.”

“It was,” she leaned forwards to hug him again, “it was very thoughtful. We, we better get up soon. We normally have dinner late on Hearthswarming, but there are limits and there are a few duties I have to take care of first.”

“Duties?” asked Max.

For a moment she had the urge to tell him, to warn him what sort of pony she was, how broken, but she couldn’t bring herself to force him away. “Nothing too time consuming, but they are necessary.”


“Happy Hearthswarming Thunderous, Edelweiss, Forming, Dangerous” said Max as he entered the sitting room nodding to each pony in turn. There was a chorus of replies from around the room. Thunderous and Edelweiss were laid out on the settee intertwined with each other, the large stallion had a large and garishly coloured knitted tie on whereas Edelweiss had several shiny clips in her mane. Forming was flipping through a book and Dangerous was running a hoof over a tight-fitting garment similar to that Max had seen a few athletes wear.

“I’ve got a present for you,” said Forming putting her book aside.

“You didn’t have to,” said Max a little awkwardly, he hadn’t gotten anything for the rest of Fragrant’s family. He’d considered it, but he didn’t really know them well enough to decide what to give them.

The mare carried over a large box about the size of Max’s head. He took it, it hardly weighed anything, and gently shook it. Nothing seemed to be moving inside. Carefully levering the lid off it was revealed to be full of a fluffy white substance.

“A cloud? You got me a cloud?” It was a surprising gift, he supposed with Fragrant’s present he could use it as a seat, that would certainly get some strange looks.

“It’s modelling cloud, daddy’s factory only just started to make it. I made statues for the rest of the family so I wondered if you wouldn’t mind if I made one for you too? It shouldn’t take too long.”

“I’d be honoured,” said Max smiling. Maybe he could put it in his house in Nulpar for when he wasn’t there?

“Would you care for a drink Max?” said Thunderous nodding to a large cupboard on which sat a very impressive collection of bottles. A servant stood unobtrusively next to it. Max hadn’t noticed her until how, it felt a little strange to have ponies working for him on Hearthswarming.

“I think I’ll wait, given what happened last time.”

“I quite enjoyed our little outing you know,” said Thunderous sipping from his own glass, “I should go drinking with you more often-ow!” he said as his wife batted at his ear.

“Where is Fragrant?” asked Edelweiss, “You haven't tired her out I hope?” she said with a grin.

“I think she might be feeling a bit off. She said she had some business to do, in the grounds round the back of the house,” he explained. “She said she wouldn’t be long.”

“Oh,” said Thunderous, his face dropping. “I thought she might give it a miss this year, given you're here.”

“It’s her way of coping,” said Edelweiss, “she’s better than she used to be.”

“Give what a miss? What’s back there?” asked Max.

“The graveyard,” muttered Thunderous, “the family crypts are back there.”

“Ah,” said Max looking down awkwardly. Fragrant must be paying her respects to her parents. “I thought you, um, carried out air funerals, put your bodies in clouds.”

“We do, the crypts are more to remember the dead than to inter them,” explained Edelweiss.

“Mostly,” mumbled Thunderous.

“It’s creepy!” exclaimed Dangerous.

“Dangerous!” warned Thunderous glaring at his son.

“Well it is! Her hanging around there like some sort of ghoul!”

“You will not refer to your aunt that way!”

The young stallion seemed to realise what he had just said and his ears lowered. “I’m sorry, but it’s just not normal.”

“We all grieve in our own ways,” muttered Forming glancing out of the window.

“I guess we do think of the ones we lost during the holidays,” said Max. For a moment he considered his own father.

“True,” said Thunderous nodding. Max wondered if the other stallion had visited his parents as well.

“Do you think she’d appreciate it if I joined her with your parents for a bit?” He wouldn’t mind supporting her, she’d been there when they’d passed the post his father had died. But it might be something that Fragrant wanted to do by herself, he didn’t want to intrude.

“Our parents?” asked Thunderous. “Hasn’t Fragrant told you about-”

“If she hasn’t decided to tell him, that’s her decision,” said Edelweiss sharply.

“I suppose so,” growled Thunderous, clearly not happy.

“Told me about what? Who's she visiting if not her parents?”

“It’s her own business if Fragrant hasn’t chosen to tell you,” said Edelweiss levelly. “I hope she will soon, I think she trusts you enough, but... don’t push her. It was a long time ago but it cuts deep, it would to any pear- to anypony.” Her eyes flickered over to Forming and Dangerous.

“Ok, I’ll try not to,” said Max. He was really intrigued by whatever they were talking about. There was clearly something he didn’t know about Fragrant’s past, somepony she’d been close to had died. He really wanted to know, but also he didn’t want to cause her any more pain. He hoped that eventually she’d feel comfortable enough to tell him.

He felt a breeze and turned to see Fragrant enter from the door behind him. She did not look good, the fur around her eyes was matted from tears and she seemed pale. He rested a hoof across her back. “Are you alright?” he asked gently.

“I’m-I’m,” she stuttered blinking before burying her head in his mane. He returned the hug tightly. “I had something to do,” she finally managed. “It’s done now. Sorry for spoiling your Hearthswarming.”

“You’ve done nothing of the sort,” said Max as the rest of the family started to gather around, even Dangerous looked concerned.

“You’ve made your peace?” asked Thunderous resting his hoof on his sisters.

“As much as I ever can,” she mumbled before turning to Max. “I’m sorry I, I... I can’t. I know you must have questions but I... it still hurts.”

“You don’t have to tell me anything if you’re not ready,” he said gently.

“Thank you,” she said sighing and visibly trying to pull herself together. “I’m sorry for spoiling the mood. I guess lunch will be ready soon.”

As if on cue a servant appeared in the doorway, glancing around the family he hesitated for a moment. “Dinner will be ready shortly,” he announced, “the main dining room has been prepared.”

Thunderous nodded. “We’ll be through in a minute.”


Max had expected the dining room to be a huge cavern with a table long enough to seat dozens of guests. Instead the room they were led to, although opulent, was actually a bit of a squeeze for all of them. The table was only large enough to seat the six of them with a single extra place, which was for some reason laid. Max did wonder if there was some other guest he was unaware of but nopony else mentioned anything. He was a little surprised that Fragrant took the head of the table, it made sense but he’d sort of expected Thunderous to assert his dominance. Fragrant pointed for him to sit at her right side while Thunderous took the left with Edelweiss next to him. Forming sat on Max’s other side and Dangerous took the seat next to his mother leaving the foot of the table empty.

Once they had all taken their seats Fragrant turned to him. “Before we eat it’s a family tradition that each member give an account of what they are most thankful for over the last year. You don’t have to take part if you don’t want to.”

“I’d love to,” said Max overjoyed that he was being accepted into the family. Fragrant smiled and he began to wrack his brain to see if he could think of something to talk about.

“I,” began Fragrant, “Am thankful that the threat of Corona has not brought harm to Equestria and hope that she will be brought to justice before another year passes. I am thankful that my people have remained secure and prosperous. I am thankful that the princess has chosen to give me another chance to serve her, despite my earlier weakness.” Max reached out with a hoof to grip her leg. “I am thankful that my family has remained healthy and that, that Fluttering,” she glanced down at the empty place, “That Fluttering is recovering. And,” she looked down at Max, “and I am thankful for Max, his presence in my life has made me so very happy. You are my rock, Max. I can’t imagine life without you anymore,” she blushed a little before hurriedly sitting again.

There was silence over the table for a moment as Max and Fragrant continued to gaze at each other before Thunderous cleared his throat. “I am thankful for my wife who puts up with me even when I’m being a fool, and for my wonderful talented children, even if I don’t tell them that enough. I am thankful that Posey Weather has once again gone from strength to strength this year,” he grinned with pride, “Clouds Inc have been pushed even further into second place. And I am thankful that my sister is happy, even though she has terrible taste, Rising has been waiting to sweep you off your wings for years now.” Grinning, Fragrant reached out and gently punched her brother in the shoulder. Max was glad to see that Fragrant’s mood seemed to have lightened since earlier. “Just kidding, you seem a half decent stallion Max,” he continued with a nod.

Max nodded along and then realised that all eyes were on him, was it his turn already? “Oh, right. Well I guess I’m thankful for all the ponies of Nulpar for believing in me as their leader,” well most of them anyway, “and for the princess giving me the chance to do right by them and the rest of the court for showing me what to, and what not to, do. And for all of you welcoming me into your family at this time of year.” He turned to Fragrant. “I am very thankful for Fragrant, for her taking me into her life and, showing me just what a courtier should be, and for making me so happy as well.”

“Kiss!” cried Edelweiss, the cry was taken up by Forming after a moment. Blushing, Fragrant leant forwards and gave Max a peck on the cheek. Max wrapped an arm around her and pulled her in much more tightly stretching out their contact and causing a cheer from all but Thunderous who didn’t look all that happy.

“I am thankful,” began Edelweiss once the couple had separated, “for my family and my friends. For thoze here and,” she paused for a moment looking down the table, “thoze not. For my husband who always makes time for uz despite running most of the city, for my daughter,” she turned to Forming, “for her talentz and brainz, for my son,” she nodded to Dangerous who blushed a little. “for his bravery and skill, and for Fluttering,” she addressed the empty place, “for her grace and her strength in r-recovering. For my sister,” she turned back to Fragrant, “for her wizdom and strength in overcoming her loss. I am thankful for my place in this family and the chance it has given me to help so many ponies out there.” She sniffed and Thunderous reached out a hoof to her.

“I am thankful,” said Forming after a moment, “for my family, for all the opportunities and support they have given me. For my friends. For my tutors. For the gift I have been given to have a chance to serve all the ponies of Equestria,” she grinned, “and for my auntie lending me her chariot for the summer, it was a sweet ride.” Laughter ran around the table.

“I’m thankful for getting a chance to ride tornados,” said Dangerous, “for finally finishing school. For all the cool stuff I got to do, and for all the really great friends I got to do it with.” He paused for a moment and looked like he was going to set down but stopped. “And I’m thankful for my family, you know you guys are great. Forming, you’re, well you’re the best, smartest big sister a stallion could want. Mum, you’ve always been there when I need you, and Auntie, you’ve always believed in me and finally Dad, we don’t always agree on stuff but I know you’re looking out for me and want the best, right.” His gaze dropped to the ground. “So, can we eat now?” he asked.

“Of course we can dear,” said Fragrant with a wide smile and the servants carefully made their way around the table depositing the first of several courses in front of the family.


The food was exquisite, a cold tomato soup for starters, followed by a large nut pie with a huge selection of vegetables. The sweet was a rich cake with tiny models of the founders carved from sugar placed on it. The cake was cut so that each slice had a different pony on it and the diners had to decide which they wanted. Max hadn’t heard of the tradition before but apparently each founder was supposed to provide some different boon to the pony who selected them but Fragrant refused to tell him which gave which benefit. After a little thought he finally decided to select Pudding Head, it might have been a little stereotypical but he did like the eccentric earth pony. Fragrant took Clover, Thunderous took Commander Hurricane, Edelweiss picked Princess Platinum, Forming Smart Cookie. Dangerous didn’t seem all that happy to be left with Pansy but accepted it with good cheer. Once the cake was finished, cheese and biscuits were offered and finally thick black coffee. Max wasn’t entirely sure he could make his way back to the sitting room under his own power after all that.

“Thank you, the food was excellent,” he said to the servant who took the final plate away. He turned to the rest of the table. “You know it doesn’t seem all that fair that we do all the eating and they have to do all the cleaning up.”

“The servants get paid for their efforts,” said Fragrant looking a little embarrassed to be discussing the issue while the staff continued to clean the table. “Our late start meant that they had time to spend with their families in the morning. They are not harshly treated, and they have tomorrow to look forward to.”

“I suppose so, but-”

“Come on Max, you’re not one of those equalists are you?” asked Thunderous leaning back on his chair.

“No politics at the table, dear,” said Edelweiss rolling her eyes.

“No let’s settle this, Cloudia,” he called. A blue coated mare with a yellow mane who Max had noticed hovering in the background during the meal came forwards. “Do you have any problems with the conditions here?”

“No sir,” she said quickly although to Max she didn’t look entirely convinced. “I had plenty of time to spend with my daughter this morning, and this afternoon's schedule is likely to be light as well.”

“Dash is visiting?” said Dangerous his ears perking up.

“Yes, master Dangerous,” said Cloudia a little warily.

“I’ve got to show her my new racing suit, I bet I could actually beat her this time!”

“We were going to spend the evening together dear,” protested Edelweiss.

“I won’t be long,” said Dangerous, “Just a few races!”

Max noticed Fragrant stiffen next to him, he knew she had some issues about different classes mixing too much but she held her tongue.

“If Dash is here, who's looking after Fluttering?” asked Thunderous darkly. “She’s not spending Hearthswarming alone is she?”

“She said she was spending it with some of her new friends,” said Fragrant glaring at her brother. “I think it is the bearer of the element of kindness and her daughter.”

“Dash can choose to spend the holiday wherever she wants,” said Cloudia causing most of the eyes around the table to move to her. “Sir,” she quickly added.

Thunderous looked back and forth between his sister and his seneschal and slowly nodded. “Of course.”

“So can I go talk to Dash?” asked Dangerous eagerly. Max couldn’t help but wonder if the boy had a crush on whoever this Dash was.

“If she agrees,” said Edelweiss, “but do try not to be that long.”

“Thanks,” said the boy before rushing from the room followed at a slower pace by Cloudia.

“See,” said Thunderous, “She didn’t have any problems with the conditions.”

“I suppose so,” muttered Max. It still didn’t seem entirely right and Cloudia certainly didn’t seem all that pleased with her employer thinking he could plan her daughter's life. Still it did seem like Dangerous got on well with that daughter.

“Good,” said Thunderous slapping his belly, “I think I could do with a nap, all this eating takes it out of you.” He grinned.

“Would you mind if I started that statue of you now baron Max?” asked Forming.

A nap sounded very nice to Max as well, but he was interested in seeing Forming practise her craft. “I’d love to. Will it take long?”

“I can probably get the general shape in an hour or so,” she said, “I can work on the details tomorrow. It should be done by the time you leave.”

“Sounds great!” said Max glancing over at Fragrant.

“I’m sure me and Edelweiss can find something to do while our stallions are busy,” said Fragrant with a smile.


“So how should I stand?” asked Max after Forming had led him into her studio. There were a few other partially completed works here and here as well as a number of adjustable magical lights and a chair.

“Well what sort of sculpture would you like, whole body? Just your head?” asked the younger pony starting to check the lights.

“I don’t know,” just a bust seemed a little conceited to Max, but then he’d never considered himself the sort of pony who’d have a statue made of him. “Maybe something more action oriented? Me climbing a mountain? Or me at work, defeating an evil bill!” He reared up as if ready to punch something.

Forming giggled. “Maybe something like that. Can you hold that pose?”

“Not for long,” he admitted falling back onto all fours.

“Ok, lean against the chair then. Just try to stay still while I get your basic form down.” She placed the block of cloud in front of her on a rotating platform and peered at it carefully turning it as she went. “Right, here we go!” She said striking out with a hoof at the fluffy mass, slicing part of it off. Slowly at first but speeding up she began to create the general shape of the statue cutting away some sections while smoothing others down. After half an hour or so it had formed the general shape of a stallion rearing up on his hind legs.

“Ok, you can relax for a bit,” said Forming teasing off a bit of cloud from the statues mane.

“That’s very good,” said Max looking over at the work, it wasn’t personalised yet, the face was oddly blank but it already had a certain energy to it, as if it was going to start moving. He wasn’t sure if she’d gotten the mane quite right though, it wasn’t that spikey, was it?

“Thanks, the material helps, it’s something new Dad started making just for sculpting. Its thicker than weather grade cloud but not quite as much as building cloud. That makes it easier to work with. Plus you can run a lightning bolt through it and it becomes almost impossible to reshape. I’m not sure if that’ll catch on though, the fact you can always make alterations is an important part of cloud sculptures. Of course, the real traditionalists say you should never use a cloud for sculpture that you didn’t hunt down yourself. I sort of get it, some clouds just call out to be made into something. Still it’s a lot of effort for casual work.”

“I didn’t even know there were different types of cloud,” said Max.

Forming gave him a strange look. “There are loads, all for different purposes. Hopefully this one will sell, Dad talked about making it in bulk but I think he might just be humouring me. The main problem is it doesn’t last all that long, it precipitates out quite fast.”

“So, the statue will evaporate?” That seemed odd, he’d always thought of a statue as being something that would be around longer than its subject.

“It’s another feature of the medium, unlike ground sculpture cloud sculpture doesn’t last long term. Without extensive upkeep even the best are gone in maybe five or six years. This one probably won’t last a year, then I can make you another next year! Cloud sculpture isn’t meant to be permanent, it changes and alters over time, it’s one of the reasons I love it so much.” She grinned at Max. It was nice to see her in her element like this. Forming had always seemed rather subdued to him, nervous even, as if she was scared something would suddenly go wrong. “Anyway, could you get back into position, I’ll start on some of the detail.” Max leant against the chair. “Could you raise your muzzle a little, I want to get the shape right.”

Forming’s face became a mask of concentration as she returned to her work, both hooves and wings flashing over the body of her creation as she started to work on the smaller details. Max watched in amazement as his form started to grow out of the blank in front of her. “That should do for the moment,” said Forming eventually, “I can do the final touches later, what do you think?”

Max shook himself, he’d gotten a little stiff staying in place for so long, and trotted over to the sculpture. The image was of a stallion rearing up apparently ready to fight, his mane flowing back in the imaginary wind and a look of determination on his face. It certainly looked impressive, if maybe a little exaggerated in places, he didn’t think he looked quite so masculine in person. Still the likeness was quite striking. “It’s amazing!” he enthused, “you could do this professionally!”

“Thanks!” she said with a grin then her face turned tense. “I’ve been thinking about it you know.”

“Thinking about what?” asked Max.

“Going professional, just being a sculptor. But I have a duty to my family to take my place at court. I won’t be able to do both,” her ears drooped.

“Well a lot of the court have hobbies you know. I’ve got my climbing, Greengrass has his garden, your aunt has her plants as well.”

“I know but they’re just hobbies not full time things.” Max nodded, not sure what to say; yes, running the country took up a lot of time, he got to go climbing a few times a year but not as much as he might want to.

“Don’t you want to be a courtier?” he asked.

“I don’t know, I do find it interesting but... oh, I don’t know. I don’t know if I want to do it forever. I used to think that I could do what I wanted with my life, sculpt, maybe work at dad’s factory, but then Fluttershy got sick and... well I didn’t think it would be this way!” She stamped a hoof.

“Maybe you should talk to Fragrant about this, or your parents?” He felt sorry for the mare but he didn’t want to stick him muzzle into her family's affairs if he wasn’t wanted.

“Maybe,” she admitted, “But what would they think of me? The Posey’s have run Cloudsdale for centuries, how can I break that line?”

“I’m sure you’re not the first to get cold hooves. It’s a big responsibility, I was sure the princess had made a mistake when I became a baron. I still do sometimes but I’ve gotten better at it. I don’t think Fragrant is going anywhere soon, you’ve got time to sort things out and I’m sure whatever you decide to do your family will support you.” I hope, he thought, that seems to be the problem that Thunderous has with Dangerous.

Forming suddenly darted forwards and gave Max a crushing hug. “Thank you uncl... I mean Max. It’s nice to have somepony to talk to.”

“Any-anytime,” gasped Max patting her mane for a moment. “Now maybe we should get back to the rest of the family? I’m sure they’ve missed us.”


They returned to the sitting room to see the rest of the family lazing around. Thunderous was dozing in one of the chairs while Edelweiss and Fragrant were reading. Dangerous had apparently returned only a short time ago as his flanks were still flecked with foam.

“Ah, Max,” said Edelweiss looking up as they entered. “I’ve got a few things to show you.” He sat down next to her as she lifted the top book from a large pile in front of her.

“Oh, come off it Mom,” cried Dangerous watching them, “the family albums!”

“If Max might be,” she glanced over at Fragrant, “joining the family it vill be good for him to know all about us.”

“But they’re so embarrassing,” he complained.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll be more interested in your aunt's history. Although there is that adorable picture of you in the bath as a foal! The one where you’re chewing on your wing!”

“Mom! No!” cried the young stallion reaching out to grab the book before his mother slapped his hooves away.

“I’m sure Max doesn’t want to see all that,” said Fragrant putting her own book aside and standing up.

“Nonsense, I’d love to see your pictures,” said Max. Edelweiss had mentioned Fragrant modelling when he was younger, and he had to admit he was curious.

“Well I’ve known Fragrant for, oh, it must be twenty-five years now. Where does the time go?” she gazed into the distance for a moment before shaking herself and opening the album. The pages were covered with black and white images each with careful annotations around them.

“My family come from Pferdereich, they own a clothing company. I got my mark,” she indicated the flashbulb symbol on her flank, “modelling their clothes. They decided to branch out into Equestria itself and I was sent to help advertise the wares.” She flicked through various photographs and newspaper clippings showing her younger self in glamorous settings. “There I was young, innocent and in a strange land when I came across a wild young mare who showed me the seedy underside of Canterlot!” She pointed to a picture of her younger self next to another mare who it took a moment for Max to recognise as Fragrant. She had her mane up in a huge fluffy perm and was dressed in a short black dress with large shoulder pads. The two of them were leaning heavily against each other, apparently the worst for wear, outside some sort of club.

“It was not like that,” said Fragrant rolling her eyes as she trotted over to her sister in law. “True back then I might have been a little less reserved,” she blushed, “but if anyone was doing any corrupting it was you! My parents had recently had their accident, and I had to step up to become duchess. It was you who suggested I had to ‘let off some steam’”

“You should have seen her back then, Max,” continued Edelweiss elbowing Max, “out dancing at the wildest new clubs every night! Drunken debauchery! She was even in a gang!”

“I might have stayed out late a few times, but I never missed any time at court! And the Mustangs were hardly a gang. We were mostly a gathering of the children of courtiers and some younger courtiers, like myself, plus a few hangers on.” She gently prodded the other mare. “We even did charity work! Sometimes.” Max grinned as he looked through the pictures of young Fragrant in various outfits. Even back then she’d apparently liked to dress up. He frowned for a moment, glancing over at Fragrant herself, she hadn’t gotten dressed this morning. For the first time since he’d met her she was actually naked. He smiled, given what she'd told him about her preference to remain dressed to deal with her nerves it was nice to see how relaxed she was around her family.

“Wow, auntie, you were cool back then,” said Dangerous with a grin.

“I can’t believe you used to have your hair like that,” added Forming.

“Everypony did their manes like that back then,” said Fragrant defensively. “I wonder if your mother had a picture of when she dyed her coat black for month?”

“So, moving on,” said Edelweiss quickly as she turned the page. The next picture was of a group of ponies gathered around a table. The banner and decorations suggested that it was probably somepony’s birthday. To Max’s surprise he recognised a few of them. “Is that duke Sands?” he asked pointing to a stallion partially out of frame. “And that can’t be Prince Blueblood, can it?”

“No, it’s his father, Duke. He was always hanging around despite being far older than any of us. It was a bit creepy really,” said Edelweiss.

“And that’s Holly Bush, Vicereine Wall Flower's wife,” said Fragrant, “and that’s Silver Glow.” Her hoof skipped over herself and a tall unicorn stallion standing next to her with his leg across her withers. “That’s Merry Berry, I haven't seen her in years,” exclaimed Fragrant.

“Last I heard she’d married a fruit magnate, was thinking of doing some writing. I don’t know if anything came of it. And that back there,” said Edelweiss pointing at a figure in the background, “is Thunderous”.

Max looked back and forth between the lanky teen in the picture and the huge stallion napping in the nearby chair. It was hard to imagine they were the same pony. It looked like Dangerous and Forming were having the same issue. “He always begged me to allow him to come along with me so he could hang out with the cool ponies,” said Fragrant, “what he meant was hanging out with you!”

“He eventually got the nerve to ask me out, he looked so terrified, this gangly adolescent with a greasy coat. Of course, I turned him down.”

“What!” exclaimed Forming.

“Well he was hardly a catch back then, and I might have been just a touch conceited. Still he kept trying again and again, slowly wore me down. It didn’t hurt that he filled out quite a bit later that year.”

“He spent all summer working out,” said Fragrant.

“Eventually I agreed, and the rest as they say, is history.” The next few pictures showed Edelweiss and Thunderous together at various events obviously a couple. Ending with a large portrait of the two of them in wedding attire. Edelweiss’s loose dress doing a rather poor job of concealing her bulging abdomen. “Fluttering came as a bit of a surprise to us,” she admitted.

Max examined the wedding photos. It looked like Fragrant had been a bridesmaid, she wore a baggy dress to match the bride. The stallion from the earlier picture was kissing her on the cheek. “I guess that’s Green Horn?” asked Max pointing at the stallion.

Edelweiss’s eyes flicked between Max and Fragrant. “You told him about Green Horn?” she asked quietly.

“I told him we dated and things ended badly,” said Fragrant pointedly.

Max chewed on his lip. Clearly there was something he was missing about how things had gone, but he didn’t want to intrude if Fragrant didn’t want to tell him.

Nodding, Edelweiss turned the page to reveal an empty space. “I really need to sort these out better,” she said tensely turning through a few more likewise blank pages. “And then we were three!” She announced at an image of herself and Thunderous looking tired but proud as they held the sleeping form of an enormously cute looking foal in their arms.

“Aww!” exclaimed Max at the image, “wasn’t Fluttering adorable!”

“Yes,” mumbled Fragrant blinking quickly as they turned to a picture of a rather drawn looking Fragrant holding the slightly older foal.

Edelweiss continued to flip through various pictures of Fluttershy as she grew being attended to by Fragrant or her parents. Despite her earlier promise she eventually moved on to another album showing Forming and her big sister as time passed. The two of them playing together and finally the addition of Dangerous to the family and procession of school photographs for all three Posey children.

“And that just about brings us up to the present,” said Edelweiss closing the final album. “I know, we should take some pictures now.”

“I wouldn’t want to trouble you.” said Fragrant.

“No problem,” exclaimed Edelweiss as she rushed from the room. “It’s good to keep my hoof in.” She returned a few minutes later with a large camera on a tripod. She prodded her husband until he woke up and ordered him to line up with the rest of the family and proceeded to take picture after picture of them in all combinations. She even got a servant to help so that she could be included in some of them.

Although Fragrant protested Max couldn’t help but think she quite liked the attention. He certainly enjoyed standing close to her so the two of them would fit into the frame. Without her usual dress if felt good to be able to feel her coat against his own.


After a light evening meal mostly consisting of the remains of lunch the family settled down to an evening’s entertainment.

To start with Dangerous got the rest of the family to agree to a game of blindmare’s bluff. Max felt he was a little unfairly disadvantaged not being able to hide up near the ceiling like most of the rest of the family. Still he certainly got a rise out of Fragrant when he claimed not to be able to tell the difference between Edelweiss and her when he caught the former.

Once they had tired themselves out the family gathered around to have a game of charades which Fragrant turned out to be very good at. Max then suggested a Nulpar game called Smiles where you had to try and get someone else to crack a smile, everypony seemed to want to pick on Fragrant in that game, but she took it in good cheer.

After that Edelweiss suggested something called Alphabet Minute where they had to carry on a conversation starting each sentence with a different letter. After a few rounds Thunderous announced that speaking in Pferdereichish was cheating, but was overruled as his wife and children were fluent. Max surprised most of them by being able to speak a few words. He explained that Nulpar wasn’t all that far from the exarchy.

Then they moved on to cards, which Max thought he might actually have a chance at. He’d played more than a few hands back in Nulpar against Piste and the rest of the town council. To his, and most of the rest of the family’s surprise, Forming wiped the floor with them. The young mare seemed particularly gleeful when she beat her brother. Once they were done Forming blushed as she explained that she hadn’t been spending her entire time at university learning about architecture and art. Apparently her and her friends had regular card nights as well. It was probably just as well they’d only played for jangles or Max’s finances could have taken a hit.

Finally the family gathered around the piano for a sing song. Max discovered that his marefriend was a surprisingly talented pianist. Fragrant explained that she’d had lessons as a foal. Max got to introduce the others to a few Nulpar songs and in return learnt a few Cloudsdale operas as well as the traditional Hearthswarming carols stretching back to the time the founders were frozen into their cave.


“That was a really fun time,” said Max as he and Fragrant entered her room. “I like your family.”

“Thank you,” said Fragrance, “I’m glad you’re getting on so well with them.” She was actually quite surprised how much her coltfriend and brother had bonded, Thunderous could often be... difficult when dealing with new ponies. Forming seemed to be really taken with Max as well. Even Dangerous was friendly with him, she should have guessed her thrill-seeking nephew would find Max a kindred spirit.

“They’ve all been so welcoming, I’ll have to take you to meet mum someday,” said Max, his ears drooping slightly. Fragrance noted the sign of Max’s uncertainty, she wondered what it was about his mother, or her, that made the idea so problematic.

“I’d like that, when you have the time,” she said cautiously.

“Yeah, it’s a shame you can’t come with me tomorrow.”

“Unfortunately, I have duties for the new year's holiday, there are events I must host.” The new year's ball was the height of the Cloudsdale social circuit. All the important ponies of the city, of the entire province would be there. It was bothersome, but she couldn’t miss it. “You will see me back at court in the new year.”

“But not like this,” said Max leaning over and cuddling her, planting a light kiss on her forehead.

“No. This, this is nice,” she returned the embrace.

“At least I don’t have to leave until the afternoon.”

“I suppose so, although I will be busy for at least some of the morning.” That reminded her, she had to make sure she got up early tomorrow to prepare.

Max frowned a little. “Well at least we had some time together.”

“Yes, I have very much enjoyed your company for the holiday,” she said running a hoof down his barrel.

“Me too,” agreed Max standing up and making his way towards the bathroom.

With him no longer present Fragrant turned to her bedside drawer and quietly opened it revealing the silk saddle and other items of lingerie present. Her hoof hovered over the items, was now the time to give Max a further present? Something else to unwrap? She felt her heartbeat and breathing increase but she couldn’t decide if it was due to lust or fear. It had been a long long time since she’d last been with a stallion, she didn’t want to disappoint him. She couldn’t help but nervously giggle, she imagined the basic process hadn’t changed much since her youth, but what if he wanted something that she couldn’t give? What if now wasn’t the right time? What if it was going to be too late? They’d been dating for half a year now, was Max becoming frustrated with the situation? It was a topic they’d skirted around rather than truly talking about.

“Bathroom’s free if you want it,” came Max’s voice from behind her. She slammed the drawer closed and spun around eyes wide.

“M-max!” she exclaimed.

“Sorry, I frightened you,” said Max stepping back.

“No, sorry, sorry, I was just thinking.”

“What about?”

“No-nothing important,” she stuttered. Liar! Her mind called out, Coward!

Levering himself onto the bed Max stretched out admiring the anklet she’d gifted him. “Thanks again for this, it really is nice.”

“You’re welcome,” she said feeling her body relaxing against his. His hoof stretched out running lazily up and down her flank.

“You know, I think this has been the perfect day, I wouldn’t add a single thing to it,” he noted.

She frowned, had he seen what was in the drawer? Had he read her mind? Or was she overthinking things? She tried to stop her flow of thoughts and just accept his words at face value. “Me too,” she agreed resting her head on his chest. “Thank you for a wonderful Hearthswarming.”

“You too Fragrant,” he mumbled.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Grass and Clouds 2 and Void Knight for their suggestions and to Do Contra for editing.

Comments are always welcome.

PreviousChapters Next