• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,179 Views, 404 Comments

Climbing the Mountain 2 - Talon and Thorn



Baron Mounty Max may have thought his troubles were over with the recent changes to the Night Court but instead they may have just started as he has to deal with host of new problems during his second session at court

  • ...
2
 404
 2,179

PreviousChapters Next
43) Month 4 - Relationship Upgrade (Part 2)

Max was rather surprised when Fragrant met him at her door, normally her butler answered and informed her mistress of his arrival but this time Fragrant herself opened the door before he could even knock twice. Had she been waiting for him?

“Good evening,” began Max, “you look...” he trailed off as he took in his dates appearance. It wasn’t that she looked bad, Fragrant would have to work quite hard to not seem attractive, it was just that her outfit for tonight was, odd. Rather than her normal voluminous and intricate dresses her outfit consisted of a dull brown material wrapped tightly around her, almost like a bandage, it even pinned her wings in place. A wide brimmed hat sat on her head apparently designed to hide her features. Max couldn’t claim to be an expert on fashion but this looked like an outfit designed to allow its wearer to hide. Was Fragrant’s dislike, no it seemed to almost be a fear, of the press so extreme she had to cover herself like this? He’d seen her deal with them before without going to such lengths. “You look nice,” he finally managed after a long pause.

“Thank you Max,” Fragrant said with a weak smile, “but I really don’t. I spent the last hour trying on different outfits to distract myself from tonight.” Her hooves shook slightly.

“Look if it really upsets you this much, you don’t have to go through with it,” he hated to see her this way. She was so much different from the strong confidant mare he admired so much.

Fragrant slowly ran a hoof over her face before taking a deep breath and finally stilling herself apart from her tail which continued to thrash around in agitation. “I, well I am not happy, but I know we need to go ahead with this, we cannot hide forever. You deserve better than this, Max. I need to get over my, my issues about the press intruding on my private life.”

“We can talk inside if you want,” offered Max, “it might make you feel better if you explained things to me. It won’t matter if we’re a bit late.” Unfortunately, it seemed he was wrong as the colour seemed to drain from Fragrant’s face and her front left hoof started to tap nervously on the floor.

“No! No. I was hoping we could leave now and arrive early. Maybe before the ponyrazzi get set up?” She looked up eyes wide and pleading.

“Of course,” he said leaning forwards and wrapping an arm around her. “Whatever you want.” He could feel the tension in her but she seemed to relax just a notch as he held her.

“Thank you Max, I know I’m being silly but sometimes I just can’t help myself. We, you and me, it’s just so precious I don’t want to risk it all being destroyed.”

“Don’t worry, whatever happens, it won’t be that,” he said, giving her another squeeze.

“I know, it’s just... I can’t help it!” she stamped a hoof and then looked embarrassed by her outburst.

“Look, Mellow isn’t all that important, there probably won’t be more than a few press at best and all the guests will be too busy congratulating the happy couple to look at us. We can leave early as well, just talk to a few friends and have a dance or two.”

“I, I think I’d like that. Maybe not the tango this time though,” said Fragrant.

“Maybe not, although I like to think of that as our dance,” said Max with a smile.

“We really should get going, our carriage should be ready,” she said hurriedly, “We won’t be flying, it would draw too much attention.”

Max nodded as they set off to the plain hired carriage which was standing near the entrance to the estate. Max helped Fragrant to alight before joining her and giving the chauffeurs a nod. As the vehicle started off he couldn’t help but notice the windows had their curtains shut. Fragrant’s nerves had obviously returned and she sat in silence for most of the journey. Every so often she opened her mouth as if she was going to say something but then closed it before she could start.

“So, um, did you get the couple a present?” asked Max trying to fill the silence.

“Yes, it is customary. It was a bit last minute but I managed to procure a cloud sculpture of their family crests.” She tapped a hoof on a head sized box. “The sculptor was much in demand, my niece Forming recommended her.”

“Ah, um, I got them a pair of matching scarfs in their coat colours, and Mrs G made a blanket for the baby. She’s been making a lot of them recently and she thought she could spare one.” He held up a shapeless package. To his pleasure Fragrant used a hoof to try and hide a giggle. It was the first time she’d looked happy so far tonight. “I hope it’ll be alright.”

“I’m sure the couple with love then, they’re very,” she paused for a second, “practical, just like you.” She reached over a hoof and squeezed his own. “Look Max, about my issue with the press.” She took a deep breath. “As a filly I was rather shy, but as the heir to the Duchy I was expected to spend much of my time in public. My parents did what they could to help me, to train me to put on the right face for the crowds, and well, it worked. When I first became duchess I was, I was the darling of the press, they loved me and I came to love the attention. Then,” her hoof shook a little, “then something happened, something bad. Something private, I just wanted to be left alone. Was that too much to ask?” she looked up into his eyes. “But they wouldn’t leave me alone, they pried and pried and when they couldn’t find anything true out they switched to speculation and then to lies!” She looked down again, blinking. “It was all lies,” she said quietly.

“Look Fragrant-” began Max as the coach came to a sudden stop.

“Sorry Madam, Sir, but there’s a bit of a kerfuffle up ahead,” came one of the chauffeurs’ voices from outside.

Frowning Max pulled aside the curtain. There were a few carriages lined up outside of Mellow’s estate but the entrance itself was blocked by a throng of ponies, most of them carrying camera’s and all of them seeming to be yelling at once. Max’s brow furrowed, whatever could be happening? Ahead of them the familiar forms of Fancy Pants and Fleur de Lees dismounted from a coach and the pack of press ponies immediately descended on them. It looked like there were several servants present trying to hold back the throngs but they were heavily outnumbered. Max couldn’t make out exactly what was being said but it didn’t seem like the couple were replying to the press.

“Max, what is it?” asked Fragrant in a nervous voice as the coach started off again.

“Um,” said Max trying desperately to think of some way to fix this. This seemed to be the worst possible thing that could be happening given Fragrant’s fears, what could be going on? Why would Mellow and Confidant’s party attract so much attention? Before he could think of something Fragrant leaned past him and pulled aside the curtain to reveal the scene outside. Her eyes widened and the colour leached from her face.

“No!” she gasped as she dropped back into her seat. “There here for me!” she mumbled.

“We can just miss the party,” suggested Max desperately. There was no way he could put her through this.

“No Max, no,” said Fragrant weakly. “You wanted this, you wanted to dance, to be able to tell ponies about us.”

“But the press!”

“The press are as they always are, other couples manage, so should we,” Fragrant said but her hooves were shaking and her breath was coming in shallow pants. She looked like she was about to faint.

Max felt his heart crumble at her words. She was really going to go ahead with this, despite how much the whole situation cost her! Then he looked over at her panicked form so different from how confidant she normally was. He’d seen her stand up before the whole court and the princess herself, deal with press about matters of national emergency but the idea of her private life being brought out into the open was almost breaking her. He couldn’t let that happen. Quickly opening the door he hoped out into the glare of the flash bulbs and called to the chauffeurs. “Just take the coach back to the estate, now!”

“But sir!” exclaimed one of the chauffeurs.

“Just do it!” he cried before lowering his head and pushing on through the crowd as the vehicle started to move away with Fragrant still safe in it.

“Baron Max! Baron Max!” cried a nearby press pony. Max was rather surprised she knew him by name. “Do you have a comment on the situation with Glory Glitter?”

“Who?” he asked blinking as several flashes seemed to go off in his face at once.

“Do you believe Baron Dramatic was in a relationship with Ms Glitter?”
“Did you ever purchase anything from her?”
“Do you still consider Baron Dramatic a friend?”

Max didn’t have a clue what they were all talking about. He was tempted to stop and try and sort things out but everything just seemed so chaotic at the moment. Ponies of all tribes were crowding around, bumping into him as he tried to cover the short distance to the door of the estate.

“Baron...”
“...diamonds...”
“... an affair?”
“...resignation?”

Suddenly a hoof landed on his leg. Max started ready to strike out at his attacker. He only just stopped himself when he realised the stallion it was attached to was dressed in the colours of Mellows house. “This way, sir!” he bellowed over the sound of the crowd as his horn lit up to none too gently push back the press.

“Thank you!” exclaimed Max as he galloped forwards into the space now made, in front of him the door to Mellow’s estate opened up and he rushed in before the crowd behind could follow.

“Max! Max! I’m so sorry!” Max looked up and saw Baron Mellow Dramatic literally hovering nervously in front of him. “I didn’t know this was going to happen!” Sweat was streaming off the pegasus as he gnawed at one of his hooves.

“Mellow? What’s going on?” asked Max. “Why are there so many press here?” he growled angrily. This was just the worst timing ever! He hoped that Fragrant was well away from them by now.

“It’s all Glory’s fault!”

“Who?”

“Glory Glitter! She’s the jeweller who made my engagement tokens, she’s worked for my family for years.”

“What’s she got to do with that crowd out there?” Max turned to look back as another guest started to run the gauntlet towards the house.

“Apparently some of her jewels were, well they say she stole them, repurposed them and sold them on!” Max’s eyes widened, he glanced between the couple noting that neither of them were wearing their new engagement tokens.

“Oh, Mellow, I’m so sorry!”

“Yes, well the guards say we might get them back eventually,” he let out a nervous giggle and Confidant reached up a hoof to press against his. “But it’s more than that, there was that story a few months ago about me and Glory being, well us being together. They’ve decided to latch onto that and they think I had something to do with it all! Me!”

Max glanced over at Confidant who seemed for more composed than her husband to be, the only sign distress was the occasional flick of her ears. Maybe being able to predict the future made things like this easier. “I know you didn’t have anything to do with her and that you bought your tokens in good faith,” he said.

“I know, and it’ll probably all blow over in a few days,” Mellow continued chewing at his hoof, “but all the stress isn’t good for the foal.” He looked down at his fiancé.

“The stress isn’t good for any of us,” said Confidant, rubbing Mellow’s hoof again as he slowly drifted back to the ground. “I’m sure it will all blow over in a day or two, and we will get our tokens back.”

“Maybe you should cancel the party?” suggested Max, he imagined many of the guests would be driven away anyway.

“No!” exclaimed Mellow, “if we do that then they’ve won, it might even be seen as an expression of guilt. I’ve sent some servants to the guard, they should be here soon and get them under control, even if they don’t disperse them.”

“I suppose that’s good then.” Maybe if he and Fragrant had arrived just a bit later the press would have been gone and Fragrant would be with him right now.

“If you’d move back into the ballroom,” said Confidant pointing down the hall. “We’ve got a bar in there and the rest of the guests are waiting. We’ll join you once we’ve greeted everypony.”

“Right,” said Max without much enthusiasm. Without Fragrant he wouldn’t really know all that many of the other guests. He turned to go, then remembered something. “Oh, um, I got this for you,” he said holding up the presents, they had gotten a bit scuffed up when he’d run the gauntlet outside.

“Thank you, the scarfs will be very useful this winter,” said Confidant without glancing down, her horn glowing.

“Conny,” said Mellow, giving his fiancé a gentle tap on the shoulder. “You’re supposed to wait until you open the present before you say that.”

“Oh, right,” said the unicorn with a blush. She took the present and carefully unwrapped it before levitating out the scarfs. “They’re lovely.” Then she saw the second parcel and frowned a little. “A surprise,” she mused before carefully tearing off the plain brown paper.

“It’s from my assistant for the foal.”

She blinked as she ran a hoof over the blanket. “It’s so soft, and warm. Thank you Baron Max.”

“That’s alright, I hope your daughter likes it.”

“I’m sure she will, and I don’t have to use my magic to know that,” she said with a smile.

“I’ll leave you to your greeting and go see the other guests,” said Max noticing the small que of ponies which had built up in the hall.

“I’m sure we’ll have time to talk later,” said Mellow as Confidant moved to shake hooves with the next guest.

Max nodded and trotted the short distance to the ballroom. It was a large open room currently decorated with banners showing images of scissors and half masks, the symbols of the lucky couple’s houses. It was mostly empty with only about a dozen guests standing in small groups here and there. There were maybe as many again servants gliding around offering drinks and quite a large band was set up at one end currently playing quietly. Max sighed, he had been quite looking forward to getting to dance with Fragrant.

“Ah, Baron Max, I’m glad you made it.” came a cultured voice. Max turned to see a large white coated unicorn stallion with a carefully styled blue mane and a monocle covering one eye.

“Fancy Pants,” said Max. He wasn’t personally that close to the stallion but he was a good friend to Fragrant and she’d introduced them. He’d found Fancy to be pleasant enough if a bit dull. “Good to see you.” At least he’d have somepony to talk to.

“Likewise,” said the larger stallion a drink hovering nearby in his aura.

“I didn’t know you knew Mellow or Confidant.”

“I’ve had some dealings with Confidant’s father but I’m not really all that close to either of the lucky couple, but I don’t like to turn down a chance for a party.” He gave a braying laugh. “Actually, I’m here representing the crown,” he tapped a hoof against a silver crescent moon badge on his jacket. “I’m acting princess as it were,” he said with a smile.

“We are both acting princesses,” said a thin white coated mare as she slinked over to Max’s group. She indicated a similar badge on her dress.

“Of course, my love,” said Fancy Pants kissing Fleur on the cheek, “but you are always a princess to me.”

“Acting princess?” asked Max. It wasn’t a term he’d heard of before.

“Ze princess gets invited to so many events zhere is no way she could appear at all of them,” explained Fleur, “but if she considers an event worthy she sometimes asks a member of the court, or one of her advisors to go on her behalf.”

“Those she sends are sometimes referred to as acting princesses. It’s sort of a joke,” said Fancy Pants giving another laugh.

“Oh, that makes sense,” said Max. He accepted a drink from a passing servant. It was some sort of cocktail thing with a cherry on a stick in it. His ears drooped a bit, they didn’t seem to have anything like a mead or ale.

“Oh, baron,” said Fleur, “I must think you again for your aid in getting Vinyl to attend Fancy’z party.”

“It was nothing really, I just delivered your message. She’s got some... odd ideas about the court.” He remembered her accusing him of being some sort of insect in pony form and that the court was affected by a ‘stupidity ray’.

“Yes, well my daughter can be somewhat free spirited, she got it from her mother,” said Fancy, “but she has a good heart and is surprisingly observant. I did wonder if she’d choose to enter the family business someday.” Max actually didn’t know what Fancy did, if anything. “Still, her music career is doing well you know, apparently she has quite a following, she’s even recorded with the Royal Musician,” he continued with pride. “She’s never asked me for any help on that front, not that I wouldn’t give it, but she wants to show that she can manage on her own. However, I do owe you quite a favour for getting her to come to my birthday party, it wouldn’t have been the same without her.”

“Well that’s good, but I really don’t know what I’d ever need from you.”

“I might not be a voting member of the court Baron, but I am not entirely without influence. The princess has even been known to listen to me now and again.” That was an understatement from what Fragrant said, Fancy was apparently one of the princesses most influential advisors, maybe even above her cabinet. “I’ve heard that you are looking to allocate funding to road building in the outer provinces?” Max nodded. “It seems like a good idea to me, I’m sure I can spread the word.”

“Thanks,” said Max with a grin. “I could use the help.”

“Don’t put yourself down baron,” said Fleur, “It iz a good idea, I am sure it will help a lot of ponies.”

Max nodded and glanced around the room. It was still mostly empty but a few other guests had arrived after him. He didn’t recognise most of them apart from a few courtiers and the members of Mellow’s and Confidant’s family. Kibitz was standing near the door apparently keeping an eye the new arrivals and Advisatrix was quietly talking to an Earth Pony stallion in a military uniform. “It’s not very busy is it? Do you think the press have frightened off the guests?”

“Possibly,” said Fancy after a moment consideration. “It’s rather an occupational hazard to most of us, you get used to it over time.” He waved his empty glass at a servant who had been lurking nearby. “Still sometimes it can get a bit over the top. There really is no reason for them to be spoiling tonight. If that jeweller mare stole they really should be hounding her, not spoiling Mellow and Confidant’s night.”

“It really does seem wrong,” agreed Max. “It’s not like they did anything wrong. I don’t know why the princess allows it!”

“Well, freedom of the press and all that, maybe they keep us all honest. Still they can go a bit over the... oops!” Fancy Pants reached up a hoof to claim another drink but staggered into the servant serving him sending him staggering. Fleur seemed to just appear on the other side of the servant, she held out a hoof to help him keep his balance, but instead somehow managed to knock something out of a pocket in his jacket.

“I say!” said Fancy picking the object up in his aura. “Is this a camera? It’s rather small.” He rotated it around a bit. “What does this do?” The back of the camera snapped open releasing a stream of film into the light. “Oh, so sorry.”

“Wait! Why do you need a camera?” asked Max turning on the servant.

The stallion stuttered for a few moments before turning and running from the room.

“Don’t you want this?” asked Fancy holding up the camera. “How odd. I was going to ask where he got it, it could be rather useful.”

“I think he was a journalist!” exclaimed Max. “Trying to get pictures!” He remembered how Lilac Lane had disguised herself at the opera to try and get an interview with Fragrant. He stamped angrily, how could they do this? Traumatise Fragrant outside and now not even let up inside the party!

“You know baron, I think you might be right!” said Fleur, holding a hoof to her mouth, almost as if she was trying to stifle a giggle.

“You know after that bit of excitement,” said Fancy, “I think I could do with another drink, from a real servant this time. Would you like anything baron?”

“I haven't finished this one yet,” begun Max before his attention was drawn to the entrance to the room. There was the last sight he had expected to see tonight. Fragrant had just entered the room, still dressed in the tight outfit he’d last seen her in although without the oversized hat. “Fragrant! You made it!” he exclaimed, suddenly realising he must have crossed the entire room probably quite quickly by the way his heart was pounding, or maybe that was for another reason.

“Ah Baron Max,” said Fragrant her eyes glancing left and right. Max realised he had almost shouted that last time. “It is good to see you as well. I did say I might make it, although the crowd outside did put me off but after some thought... well I decided that letting my fear control me, I could not allow that.”

“Then we can-” began Max with a smile.

“Then we can wish the couple a happy day,” interrupted Fragrant looking down at her hooves. “Now you’ve seen how the press can be you must see how hard their relationship will be.”

Max felt a sinking feeling in his stomach. Fragrant wasn’t going to go through with it. “Of course, but-”

“Now if you would excuse me baron, I need to talk to Kibitz for a moment. I’m sure we will get a chance to talk further later.” She took his hoof and gave it a gentle squeeze before turning away.

“Of course...” whispered Max again as he watched her go. He sighed, they would need to talk about it later, obviously Fragrant had changed her mind about them making their relationship public. He had to admit given what he’d seen outside and her reaction to it he couldn’t blame her. Turning around again he looked for somepony else to talk to. It must have been quite rude of him to have just run out on Fancy and Fleur but they seemed to be happily talking to another of the guests now, he’d have to apologize later. There weren't all that many other ponies he knew well. He’d seen most of them at court before but he couldn’t remember all of their names.

“What do’cha think baron Max?” came a voice nearby. Max’s head swivelled to see a face that he recognised, baroness Gustysnows. Like him her lands were on the northern border of Equestria and although not quite as primitive as Nulpar they stood to gain quite a bit from his road and rail building proposal. She’d actually supported him in his ill-advised attempt to push through the bill at the opening of court. They’d talked through the revised bill a few times and she helped with some of the editing of the finalised version.

“Pardon?” he said.

“About the princess's decision?” said the blond mare, “to continue her tradition of spending the longest night in one of the smaller settlements? Obviously if she spent the day hiding in Canterlot then it would be as good as Corona winning, don’t cha know?”

“I’m not saying the princess should cower away or anything!” spluttered a nearby unicorn stallion wearing a top hat. “But if her sister chooses to do anything,” he paused, “dramatic, for the anniversary of her return it would be better if she was easy to contact, not to mention well prepared. Don’t you agree baron?”

“Um, well,” began Max trying to gather his wits. It wasn’t that he was entirely ignorant of the debate, he’d heard more or less the same arguments made around the court for several months now. Not that the princess seemed to be taking their advice on the matter. “I agree that we probably need to keep on alert in case Corona attacks or something.” He’d heard that most of the military had had their holiday leave cancelled and that messengers had been kept on call all over the country in case of a fault with the telegraph. “But I also agree with the baroness that the princess shouldn’t change her schedule. It will just make it look like she’s scared of her sister.”

“You mean you’re not?” asked the stallion. “I was in Canterlot when that creature attacked! I certainly don’t want a repeat of that! The princess should remain in the city to protect her government!”

“I think we should believe in the princess,” said a pegasus mare with a bit for a cutie mark. “I’m sure she’s doing what’s best for us.”

“But is she?” snorted the stallion, “I’m not sure her head is on straight when it comes to her sister.” There were several gasps from the crowd at his bold statement. Max had to admit the thought was somewhat shocking, the princess was, well she was the princess, she’d ruled the country forever, but it couldn’t be easy to fight your own sister. No matter how crazy she might be. He was just glad he didn’t have much say in the matter. Still, he guessed there was no way the princess could protect her whole nation so it didn’t really matter where she was, she was probably powerful enough to get almost anywhere in an hour or so. He was about to point this out when he found a hoof on his shoulder.

“Do you mind if I borrow the baron for a few moments?” said Mellow. Max turned to see his friend and his bride-to-be standing there, leaning against each other. The crowd of ponies mumbled generally affirmative things and went back to their conversation. “I’m glad you could make it Max, especially given what happened outside.”

“It’s nothing,” said Max, “I’m glad you’ve calmed down a bit.”

“Yes, well Confidant is very good at that,” he admitted giving his marefriend a quick kiss on the cheek. “And the guards have started to disperse them.”

“Are you enjoying the evening, baron?” asked Confidant.

“Yes, it’s,” he caught a glance of Fragrant chatting to some ponies off to one side and tried not to frown, “it’s very nice. It’s good to see so many ponies having such a good time.”

“Yes, we have so many ponies to greet tonight,” agreed Mellow. “But there was something I wanted to ask you Max.”

“Yes?”

“Are you doing anything for the longest night?”

Max considered for a moment. He had planned to stay in Canterlot before heading off to spend Hearthswarming with Fragrant. “I don’t really have any plans.”

“Would you like to spend it with us?” asked Confidant.

“With you? I’m honoured, but wouldn’t you prefer to spend the time with your families?”

“We thought we’d have a quiet holiday this year,” said Mellow, “given we’ll have our foal from now on,” he nuzzled up against his fiancé. “It’s probably our last chance.”

“And you played a big part in us getting together, baron,” said Confidant returning Mellow’s affection. “It can be our way of saying thank you.”

“It won’t be much, a meal, some chat, maybe we could visit the castle grounds to watch the sun rise. That’s something of a tradition here in Canterlot,” said Mellow.

Max couldn’t help but smile at their offer. He didn’t want to intrude in their time together, but he didn’t want to be alone for the holidays either. It was really very kind of both of them. “I would be honoured,” he said.

“Good,” said Mellow with a smile. “We can work out the details later, but I’ll be happy to see you. Now if you excuse me I have to show the room what me and my mare can do.” Confidant looked rather apprehensive at this but followed Mellow into the centre of the room without comment. The pegasus nodded to the band who brought their current tune to an end. “Friends,” he bowed to the crowd, “family,” he nodded to his own and Confidant’s parents. “We are both very glad to see you all here to honour our upcoming union, despite the commotion outside.” Max saw Mellow tense a bit but Confidant ran a calming hoof over his back. “I would like to thank my soon-to-be wife for making me the happiest stallion in Equestria by accepting my proposal.”

“And I would like to thank my true love,” said Confidant, “for never once losing hope that the two of us should be together, regardless of what life threw at us.” She gave Mellow a gentle kiss on the cheek. “Now that you have all had a chance to get to know each other I hope that you will join,” she faltered for a moment, “join the two of us on the dance floor.” This time Mellow gave her a comforting pat on the back with a wing as the two of them moved towards the centre of the room.

On cue the band started to play again, a slow waltz. Mellow bowed to his fiancé who, looking rather nervous, put an arm around him. Slowly the pair started to move in time with the music, Mellow moved smoothly but Confidant was rather hesitant, stumbling over several steps and even driving her hoof into her partner’s causing him to flinch for a moment. It looked like she was going to apologize but he rested his head next to hers and whispered something which was inaudible beneath the music. Whatever it was made Confidant blush and her gaze moved away from her hooves to the eyes of her lover.

Max sighed, that was what he wanted. Just a chance to dance with the mare that he cared for, to get to show his peers how he felt, but it didn’t look like it was going to be possible tonight. Glancing over he saw Fragrant standing alone on the opposite side of the dance floor. She met his gaze and gave a weak smile. There was applause as the first dance came to an end and the music became somewhat faster as other couples joined Mellow and Confidant on the floor. Max recognised some of the couples, Fancy and Fleur, Confidant’s sister and the military stallion she had been talking to earlier as well as Gustysnows and the top hatted stallion. They all looked so happy.

Sighing again Max turned towards the buffet table, now was probably a good time to fill up on snacks. Then he noticed Fragrant again, she was staring across at him and gave something like a shallow curtsey. He frowned and she repeated he gesture. Cautiously he bowed. Looking rather self-conscious she reached out a hoof as if grasping an invisible partner. Were they really going to do this? Thought Max, unable to stop a smile spreading over his face as he likewise moved into a dancing pose and began to rock from side to side more or less in time with the music. The rest of the room seemed to fade away leaving only him, Fragrant and the music. Despite the distance between then he could have sworn he felt his partners coat against his leg, his mane against his neck, her body pressed against his own as they moved together as one. If anypony was watching he must have looked ridiculous, but no thought was further from his mind.

All too soon the music came to an end and the illusion was broken leaving the pair of them standing many lengths apart physically, but Max still felt as if he was part of Fragrant emotionally. Fragrant gave a small curtsy again before turning towards the door only stopping to give Max a slight nod. He returned the gesture and waited only a few minutes before giving his regards to the happy couple and leaving to follow her.

________________________________________

It took Max a while to get to Fragrant’s home. He could have gotten a coach but he was a little paranoid that the chauffeur might report to a journalist or something. It was silly, but the events of earlier were making him rather paranoid. As usual the butler met him at the door and showed him to the sitting room where Fragrant was, still dressed in the same outfit as she’d worn at the party. She stood as soon as Max entered.

“Max, I’m so sorry about my behaviour earlier!”

He held up a leg. “Don’t worry about it, I’ve seen how bad the press can be. I understand now.”

“No, I shouldn’t have let them affect me like that, you deserved better, and seeming to snub you at the party-” she bit at her lip.

“I know why you did that.” He took a seat and after a moment Fragrant joined him.

“And it’s something I will have to learn to deal with better.”

“I’m actually surprised you turned up at all, you didn’t have to do that.”

“I did,” she sighed, “I have learnt ways to deal with the press most of the time, it is when they might find out something about my personal life. About us. That is what distresses me. I will deal with it-”

“But not now?”

She hung her head. “No, sorry, I-I can’t, but I will. Can you wait just a little longer?” she looked up into his eyes.

“As long as you need,” he said taking one of her hooves in his own.

She nodded. “I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve you. I can’t let my past haunt me forever, I need to be able to move on. To start something new with you. You didn’t even get a real dance.”

“What you did was good enough for me, it was... It was very special, and romantic,” he added rubbing a hoof against the back of his head.

Fragrant blushed. “Well on the way back I had an idea, something we can do together which might make up for tonight.” Max raised an eyebrow. “Not that!” she said with a blush, he grinned happy to see her spirit return. “Follow me.” She stood and led him into her home.

Max frowned as he passed door after door. He hadn’t realised the place was quite so large. Fragrant must have seen the expression on his face. “The estate was built when the Posey’s were rather more numerous, much of it hasn’t been used for a while.” She pushed a pair of double doors open revealing a ball room even larger than Mellow’s. Here and there were dust sheet covered pieces of furniture. Fragrant fiddled with something by the door and a chandelier flickered into magical light scattering shadows around the room. “It has been quite a few years since I last held a ball here, Fluttering’s debut I think.” She scowled for a moment. “Maybe I should start again?”

Max slowly turned in place to take in as much of the room as he could. “This is all rather impressive but what-”

“Well if we couldn’t dance properly at the party, I thought we could here,” she glanced down at her hooves, “where nopony else can see.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” said Max with a smile, “Although I hope you mind if I’m not all that coordinated, without music-”

“Oh, yes, I thought of that,” she turned away to a wooden box nearby. “I asked my servants to bring this here.” She unfolded the object to reveal a gramophone. Max had heard of them but he’d not seen one in use before. “Dangerous gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago.” she explained. “I haven't used it much. There are some recordings to go with it.” She pulled out a few flat cardboard packages. “Crescendo... Crossbows and Roses... Crazy Jester Company... I don’t think these are suitable. Ah ha,” she lifted a record, “At least I recognise this one, although it’s not all that good.”

“I’m sure it will be fine,” said Max as Fragrant cranked the handle on the gramophone. There was a crackle. then tinny music started to play. An upbeat dance, Max couldn’t recognise the exact type.

“So,” said Fragrant standing up. She twitched a little. “Actually, would you mind helping me take this off,” she nodded to her outfit, “dancing is better when I can use my wings.” Raising an eyebrow Max examined her dress. There was something like a short cape holding her wings down. It was fixed by a strap and buckle which ran around her barrel, clearly it wasn’t something designed for a single pony to be able to put on or take off. He grinned and slowly used his mouth to unfasten it, he was pleased to feel Fragrant give a little shudder as his muzzle brushed her belly. As soon as the clip was undone Fragrant’s wings snapped open like the rays of the dawn, her feathers shimmering in the light from the chandelier. “That’s better,” she said sensuously stretching her limbs.

“I don’t know why you were wearing that anyway, it looks uncomfortable,” said Max with a shrug. What did he know about fashion.

“Well, you’ll think me silly,” she mumbled looking aside.

“Silly isn’t always bad.”

“I told you earlier I was shy as a child? Well I learnt a few tricks to deal with it and, clothes are one of them. They’re my armour against the world, they help me be ‘the duchess’ so I’m not scared. Tight clothing, well it makes me feel safe, it’s like a hug.” She looked away again a blush spreading over her face. “Like I said, silly.”

Max moved forwards and held his forelegs around Fragrant. “You let me take off some of your armour, so I guess I’ll have to provide the hugs then.” Her eyes closing Fragrant slumped into his embrace.

“Thank you,” she whispered. “I don’t deserve this.”

“You deserve everything,” he replied. They stayed there for a while just holding each other until the gramophone came to a halt.

“Weren't we supposed to be dancing?” said Fragrant eventually.

“Oh, right,” said Max untangling himself and trotting over to the gramophone. He gave the handle a few cranks and reset the needle causing the crackly music to once again fill the room. “So, where were we?” With a smile Fragrant moved into position holding out a hoof. Max took it and wrapped his other foreleg around her. Slowly, a little hesitantly the two of them started to move over the floor. Max wasn’t entirely sure of the dance so he let Fragrant lead. The tempo increased as it went and Max tried his best to keep up. He was hardly as talented as Fragrant but he liked to think he was holding his own as they want.

“Hang on,” said Fragrant suddenly as the music reached a crescendo. Her legs tightened around him and her wings shot out, with a mighty flap she propelled both of them into the air making a graceful arc through the air. Max’s heart leapt along with them and he couldn’t help but let out a whoop of surprise and enjoyment. “I thought you might like that,” said Fragrant with a smile as they touched down again. With a twirl and another flap she once again carried them into the air in a spin. He gave another cry of joy.

“I didn’t know you could do that!” he exclaimed as they touched down.

“I have been working on my lifting capacity recently,” panted Fragrant, apparently worn out, “I saw how much you enjoyed flying with that griffin back in Nulpar and thought that we might go flying together. I’ve rather spoiled the surprise now.”

“No, it’ll be fun!” insisted Max, “I’ll look forwards to it.”

“It might be a few more months before I can carry you for long, but I think I’ll manage it soon.” She took a deep breath and flapped her wings again lifting the two of them a few inches off the ground.

Max’s ears twitched as the music once again came to an end. “Shall I set it up again?” he asked.

Fragrant nodded. “The night is still young and I have a lot to make up to you.”

Author's Note:

So here's the second half of the chapter, sorry for the bait and switch about Max and Fragrant's relationship becoming public but I have plans for that further down the line.

I'm planning to work on another story for a bit now but hopefully not that long as I've at least started to make good time on that one but I'm planning to come back with Max returning to Nulpar for the new year and catching up on what's been happening there.

Thanks to Rainbow Double Dash for his editing.

Comments are always welcome

PreviousChapters Next