• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,178 Views, 404 Comments

Climbing the Mountain 2 - Talon and Thorn



Baron Mounty Max may have thought his troubles were over with the recent changes to the Night Court but instead they may have just started as he has to deal with host of new problems during his second session at court

  • ...
2
 404
 2,178

PreviousChapters Next
41) Month 4: Engagement

Max let out a yawn as he opened the door to his office. “Evening Mrs G,” he called as he stepped inside.

“Good evening dear,” came the reply from his assistant. She almost always seemed to get in before him recently. “You look tired. Were you up late with the duchess again?” she asked with a smirk.

Max tried hard not to blush. He wasn’t even sure how she found out about him and Fragrant falling asleep together after working on the bill last month. “No, I got to bed at the right time. I just have problems getting up when it’s dark.” Unfortunately, they were well into Autumn now and given the nocturnal pattern of the court it meant that the sun had set by the time he got up. It often didn’t rise again until after court had finished, so soon it wouldn’t even be dawn by the time he got to bed.

“I’ll put the coffee on then,” said Mrs G turning towards the small gas stove by her desk. It had originally been set up in the small kitchen alcove on the second floor of the tower but soon after they’d moved in, Mrs G had called dibs on it.

“Thanks,” said Max. “Any post this morning?” he asked, his eyes roaming over his assistant's desk.

“Mostly the usual, next month's voting schedule, Piste’s report from home,” said the old goat without even looking up. Max nodded. It was important to get updates on what was happening back in Nulpar even if most of it was about Sadlzberg. The next mayoral election was just before the new year so soon he’d get reports from somepony else, probably Zephyr. “It was that nice unicorn filly delivering again today,” continued Mrs G. “You know, the one that’s always humming? She looked very much like the cat that got the cream this morning. She’s dating one of Greengrass’s ex-bodyguards, and they went out to a dance last night. She said he’s got four left feet but he made up for it afterwards once they got home he...”

Max started to tune out Mrs G’s gossip when he spied a purple envelope amongst the rest of the pile. He frowned. The colour was supposed to tell you the rank of the pony who had sent it, from the brown he used up to the silver than personal missives from the Princess came in. He didn’t think he’d seen purple before. He wracked his brain for a moment; it was for Viceroys and Vicerenes if he remembered correctly. “Where did this one come from?”

“Humm,” mumbled Mrs G, not looking all that happy at being interrupted. “Oh, that. It wasn’t with the rest. It was delivered by a page, a rather stuck up filly. I didn’t think she was going to leave it with me. I told her you’d be in soon but she seemed quite put out that are weren't here to meet her in person.”

Max’s heart dropped, had he forgotten some sort of appointment with Puscience? Or Wallflower? Night Light even? He was sure he’d submitted all his budget paperwork to the former on time, most of his communication with Wallflower came via Fragrant and he really didn’t have all that much to do with the third... He hurriedly grabbed the letter off of the table and ripped it open with his teeth. His eyes flicked from side to side as he took in the words on the paper and a smile appeared on his face slowly growing wider and wider.

“Good news then?” said Mrs G, looking up from the simmering brew she was working on.

“It’s from Viceroy Night Light!” exclaimed Max almost jumping up and down on the spot. “It’s about my transport bill!” It had passed its initial committee reading thanks to the corrections he and Fragrant had put through, but as it potentially affected all the provinces in Equestria, there were at least another dozen stages it would normally have to go through before it could be seen by the whole of the court. It would take a year or more for all that to happen, maybe even more. “He says that since the princess has highlighted the need for improved transport in her speech at the opening of the court, he is willing to use his prerogative as minister of the interior to bypass the various lower committees and arrange a reading at the highest level in his ministry! He even says he doesn’t think it will need more than a few tweaks before it can be voted on by the whole court! It might be put into practice as early as the beginning of the new year! He’s even listed the changes he thinks need to be made.”

“That sounds excellent,” said the nanny passing the cup to Max, who took it nervelessly. “I knew it was a good idea.”

“Fragrant said it probably wouldn’t happen for years, if at all,” mumbled Max.

“She doesn’t know everything, and you have been very lucky. Still it probably deserves a celebration.” She produced a small flask from somewhere and started to pour an amber liquid into Max’s cup.

“I should go tell her, as soon as-” began Max before he was interrupted as the door to the office suddenly crashed open. A brown coated pegasus tumbled into the room, almost slamming into Max.

“It’s wonderful! And terrible! Terribly Wonderful or Wonderfully Terrible!” came a panicked cry as the pony tried to pick himself up.

“Mellow?” exclaimed Max recognising his colleague and friend, Baron Mellow Dramatic. “What is it?” he asked cautiously. Mellow was rather high strung, to say the least. He was the type to panic over not having the correct colour tie, but this was extreme even for him.

“It’s Confidant, she’s, I just found out, she’s, she’s...” he stuttered breathing heavily as Max helped him up off the floor.

“She’s what? Is she ok?” asked Max. He hadn’t interacted all that much with Mellow’s marefriend but she’d seemed nice enough when he had met her, and he knew that Mellow loved her very much.

“She’s fine, she’s perfect, she’s pregnant!” Mellow finally managed.

Max blinked, digesting this news slowly. “Oh, congratulations!” he eventually exclaimed with a grin, patting Mellow on the back.

“She’s pregnant,” repeated Mellow. “I’m going to be a father,” he said as if he’d only just realised it. He looked shocked for a moment before a smile started to grow on his face. “I’m going to have a foal!”

“Meala-naidheachd!” said Mrs G holding out her flask to Mellow. Who took it, apparently still in a daze, and took a deep draft of it. He savoured it for a moment before gagging at the powerful brew.

“Where’s Confidant?” asked Max, “Are you going to have some sort of party?”

“I haven’t seen her yet. It was her father who told me. He didn’t seem all that happy,” he mused still seeming a bit dazed. “He’s never really approved you know. He said something about us getting married, because he’s rather traditional that way.”

“Well, you did have that planned anyway, didn’t you? You showed me the bands.”

“Yes!” Mellowed frowned. “But if I propose now won’t everypony think I’m doing it just because she’s pregnant?”

“I suppose some might, but anypony who knows you wouldn’t. We all can see how much you two care for each other.”

“But the press! The newspapers!” Mellow seemed to be working himself back up into a full-blown panic again. “They always think the worst! I can’t put Confidant through all that, not in her condition!”

“When I was last in her condition, I was working a twelve hour a day, and caring for two other kids,” grumbled Mrs G. “Although it was nice to come home to somegoat to give me a hoof massage at the end of the day,” she added a little wistfully. “It’s not like she’ll break under a bit of stress.”

“Calm down,” said Max trying to stop Mellow getting completely out of hoof. “Just talk to her about it. I’m sure she’ll understand. She knows you.”

“Maybe,” agreed Mellow breathing heavily. “But what about her father? He’s never liked me; our families have never been friendly. He’ll suspect the worst! Plus, I think I flew away from him when he told me. It’s a bit blurry.”

Max tried not to facehoof. “Maybe you should talk to him as well? It’s going to be his grandfoal after all.”

“Yes, he said something about that.” Mellow squeezed up his face, apparently trying to remember. “I think he invited me, well told me really, to come to dinner at his estate. He said we could sort things out there, said I should be prepared to do my duty. You can come as well, Max!” he said brightening. “You know that I intended to propose, so you can speak on my behalf. That should work, everypony likes you!” He leapt into the air with a flap of his wings.

“Now wait Mellow why don’t you just-” began Max trying not to get sucked into Mellow’s plans.

“It’ll be perfect, the day after tomorrow after court. I’ll see you there!” he exclaimed as he swooped out the door.

“Wait Mellow!” called Max after his disappearing form.

“I guess I should clear your diary for Wednesday morning then,” said Mrs G.

“Please tell me there’s something important going on then,” pleaded Max. He hoped the best for Mellow but he really didn’t want to get sucked into a family feud.

“Sorry, you’re completely clear,” said Mrs G looking at him over her glasses.

Max sighed. Maybe it wouldn’t be all that bad. He did like Mellow, he was a good friend and a font of useful connections at court, when he calmed down. From what he’d seen, Confidant was normally a stabilizing influence on him, but he supposed she had her own problems at the moment if she’d only just found out she was pregnant. Hopefully, things would have sorted themselves out by tomorrow, maybe the dinner would be cancelled. At the very least he might be able to talk the situation over with Fragrant, since they were due to have breakfast together tomorrow evening.

“When you’ve finished wool gathering, you have to read over the minutes for your next committee meeting,” said Mrs G pulling Max out of his contemplation.

“Right, yes, sorry,” said Max shaking his head. He grimaced as he took a swig of his now cold coffee. “I better get started,” he said turning towards the stairs. Then something clicked in his mind. “Actually, that talk of foals reminded me of something I wanted to talk to you about.”

“Really,” Mrs G raised an eyebrow, “Is there something I don’t know about the Duchess?”

“No! No, it’s not that, but Caoimhe’s kid is due before the end of the year, right?” he thought that was correct, goat pregnancies were fairly short, six months sounded right. His mother could have told him exactly. Mrs G nodded. “Wouldn’t you like to be there for the birth? And spend some time with them afterwards? I’m sure Caoimhe and Brian could do with the help.”

“If she gives birth over the holidays it should be fine,” mused Mrs G. “I can spend a few weeks with them and be back in time for court’s reopening.”

“And if she doesn’t?”

“It’s not like I can leave you all alone here. You need all the help you can get,” she grumbled.

Max tried not to flinch. “I think I can handle things on my own for a while.” He took a deep breath. “If needs be I’m sure I can get another assistant. Temporarily,” he added hastily.

Mrs G scowled. “I worked for your father and grandfather while I was raising three kids! They thought they didn’t need the help as well! And they were wrong, I certainly don’t need anyone else messing up my system!”

Max wanted to explain that running the whole province was much harder than just a town but the look in her eyes stopped him. “It would only be for a while. It is your first grandkid after all, and nothing much happens around the holidays. Once the kid’s settled in you could come back.” He secretly hoped that he might be able to get Mrs G to take on her own assistant longer term. He tried to help as much as possible, but she was working longer hours than him most days.

“Well, maybe for the kid. Caoimhe’s a good nanny, but kids are always harder than you think,” she mused.

“Just think about it for the moment,” said Max. “We can talk later.”

After a moment, Mrs G nodded.


“So, I don’t think Empty Suit is going to work out as my assistant,” said Fragrant, delicately wiping her mouth with a napkin. “He’s competent enough, but he just won't show any initiative, I have to tell him to do everything. He might be too young for the role, maybe in a few more years he’ll have learnt to be more assertive.”

Max nodded as he bit into a bun full of haybacon. “Do you have anypony else in mind to replace him?” Honestly, Max was rather glad that Fragrant was dismissing her temporary assistant with his shiny coat and slicked back mane. He was far too handsome in Max’s opinion, although thankfully Fragrant didn’t seem to have noticed it, unlike many of the other mares around her office who found reasons to pass by his desk several times a day.

“There are a few possibilities from the regional offices,” noted Fragrant, “but the problem is most of them are too useful where they already are. It could be months before they could train replacements and come work for me.” She sighed. “I’m beginning to regret letting Notebook go,” she admitted grudgingly. “He did betray me, but he was very good at his job. What do you think Max?”

Max swallowed. He hadn’t felt it was a good idea to fire the stallion in the first place but he’d also seen how upset Fragrant had been by the whole thing. She did value loyalty, if she did take on Notebook again would she just be constantly doubting him? “I don’t know. It’s your decision really, because you’ll be the one working with him.”

“You’re right, I just don’t...” she stared off into the distance for a moment. “I’ll need to give it some more thought, maybe a trial period?” She shook her head. “Anyway,” she glanced carefully around the canteen for anypony who might be listening in. “Have you given any further thought about Hearthswarming?”

“Hearthswarming? Oh, yes, right. Me spending it with you in Cloudsdale. I wrote to mum about not being able to spend it with her this year and, well, I think she understands.” Her latest letter had been included in the pack he’d gotten from Piste yesterday. “Are you sure you’ll be able to get me back to Nulpar for the new year?”

“Cloudsdale will be quite a distance from Nulpar come the holidays, over Manehatten actually, but I do have some of the fastest sky chariots outside of the military at my beck and call. It should only take a day or so to get you home.” She rested a calming hoof on his. “You and your mother should have a week or more together before you have to return to court.”

“That’s good. I know that Piste and Doctor Martin and the others will look after her, but I don’t like the idea of her being alone for the holidays.”

Fragrant smiled. “That does you credit, but I’m glad you can spend the time with me. Cloudsdale looks so nice around the holidays. I got to see your province, so you should get to see some of mine.”

“I’m looking forwards to it,” said Max. “I just hope your family is okay with it.”

“I’m sure Edelweiss will be overjoyed to have somepony outside the family to talk to, and you get on well with Forming. Dangerous will want to talk to you about Nulpar given it’s got so many mountains. Thunderous...” She paused, “I’ll make sure he’s on his best behaviour.” Max giggled a little nervously. His first meeting with Fragrant’s giant of a brother hadn’t gone perfectly, but hopefully he’d be a little more relaxed in his own home. “Maybe even Fluttering will be able to make it this year. She seemed to like you when you met.”

“I hope you have the room for all of us.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” she waved a dismissive hoof. “We have whole wings of the house we hardly use.”

Max nodded. It sounded like they’d have a good time. He hoped that the part of Fragrant’s present Greensleaves was making would be finished in time. She’d reported it was almost done, but the post from Nulpar could take weeks. “I’ve got some good news as well.”

“Really what is it?” asked Fragrant.

“I got a letter from Viceroy Night Light yesterday, about my bill.” He took the paper from his bag. “He thinks that it can get fast tracked to a vote in the new year.”

“Really?” said Fragrant, looking very surprised. She held out a hoof and he passed her the letter. Her eyes quickly flashed over it. “This really is a surprise.” Max had hoped her reaction would be a little more positive than that. She looked up and must have seen his frown. “I really am very proud of you. Very few courtiers ever pass a bill within a year of starting service.” She reached out a hoof to his. “But don’t count your clouds before they’re condensed. You know what happened at your first attempt to get a vote on this.”

Max winced at the memory. “I know, but things are much better this time.”

“Yes, but don’t get complacent. If the bill gets read quicker, you will have less time to gather your supporters. Do you have an idea of who's going to vote for and against? Do you have plans to flip any extra support you may need?” Despite the sudden panic of realising how much he still had to do Max couldn’t help but smile at how energised Fragrant seemed. She really was at her best at this sort of thing.

“I’ve got some things planned,” he mostly lied. “Night Light’s support will really help.”

“Yes,” said Fragrant doubtfully, “but Night Light doesn’t specifically say he will help at a vote, does he? This letter just says that he will try and fast track it. It could be possible he wants to get it to the floor quicker to make it easier to crush.”

“He wouldn’t do something like that, would be?” asked Max in surprise.

“I didn’t used to think so, but... I did see another side of him recently. He apologised for what he tried to do before the gala, and he has seemed to be acting honourably in court for the last few months...” Max nodded. Fragrant had told him about Night Light’s threat. It had been an underhoofed tactic, but the stallion had been trying to protect his daughter. At least that was how Night Light had seen it.

“Maybe I should talk to him about it?”

“Possibly, but even if he’s not trying to sabotage the bill directly, he might try to steal it from you.”

“Steal it? Can he do that?”

“Your name would still be on it, but given your relative positions it could easily become attached to him by reputation rather than you. Everypony would assume Night Light had planned it himself. It happens more often than you might think, and given his previous actions Night Light could do with a few high profile ‘wins’ under his belt.”

“Even if that happened, the bill would still go through though? There would still be funds to help Nulpar?”

“Well, yes, but nopony would know all the hard word you put into it.”

“So? That’s not the important part, is it? I’ll know what I did and the ponies in the less developed provinces would still benefit. It doesn’t matter what other ponies think.” He shrugged.

Fragrant smiled. “That’s very noble of you Max, and yes it doesn’t exactly matter who gets the publicity, but that goodwill would make it easier for you to put forwards other bills to do more good for your province, and the whole of Equestria. You deserve the respect for the work you’ve done.”

“So you don’t think I should accept his help?” asked Max sounding puzzled. To be honest he thought Fragrant had done quite a bit of work on the bill, helping him draft it, acting as a sounding board, educating him on the proper procedure. She wasn’t getting much out of it all either.

“I wouldn’t go that far, because his help could be very useful. Just don’t accept everything at face value.” She sighed. “Maybe things shouldn’t be so complicated, so underhoofed, but unfortunately they are. This could be a big thing for you, and I’d hate it if you didn’t get the credit you deserve.”

Max nodded. “Thanks for looking out for me.”

“You’re welcome,” said Fragrant grasping his hoof again. “Now, unless you’ve any other news I should get going. I’ve got a cabinet meeting in half an hour. I need to read up on my status reports.”

“Actually, there is something I want to talk to you about,” said Max. He really hoped Fragrant could think of some way to get him out of Mellow’s family problem.

“What?”

“You know Lady Confidant, Count Kibitz’s daughter? She’s pregnant!”

Fragrant raised an eyebrow. “I hope you didn’t have anything to do with that!”

“What? No!” exclaimed Max, colouring. Fragrant looked stern for a moment before holding a hoof to her mouth to muffle her giggles. “That was mean!”

“Sorry. Congratulations to her and whoever the father is, but I didn’t take you for such a gossip.”

“It’s not that, the father is Baron Mellow Dramatic, and they’ve been dating for months now. Her father hasn’t approved, and now that there’s a foal involved it looks like he might be considering a crossbow wedding.”

“Really, isn’t that somewhat hypocritical if he never wanted them together in the first place?”

“Maybe. I think he doesn’t want his daughter humiliated by Mellow running off before the foal is born. Not that he would, he adores Confidant. He might be a little surprised by the whole thing right now but I’m sure he’ll be a good father.” He’d probably spoil the foal rotten.

“You know him better than I do so I’ll take your word for it,” said Fragrant with a shrug. “I don’t see any problem really, baron Mellow wants to marry Lady Confidant and she loves him as well. It’s not like her father really needs to force anything.”

“There isn’t, but Mellow always makes a mountain out of a molehill. He’s worried that marrying Confidant under these circumstances makes it look like he was forced into it rather than choosing to. He did plan to ask her last month, but he was waiting for the right moment.”

Fragrant sighed. “This all sounds far too complicated. They just all need to sit down and sort things out like adults. There’s no reason they can’t just explain their feelings to each other. I don’t see why this is anything to do with you.”

Max agreed, although maybe Fragrant was being a little hypocritical given their own relationship would have been much easier if they’d talked sooner, but he didn’t fancy raising that point right now. “Well, Mellow has sort of dragged me into it. He wants me to meet with Kibitz and explain the situation. He hopes that the old stallion will believe me more than him.”

“And you agreed? Really, you shouldn’t let yourself get dragged into these things. You can be too helpful sometimes.”

“I didn’t exactly agree, Mellow just sort of assumed I would. I couldn’t get a word in edgeways at the time.”

“Max! You really should stand up for yourself more.”

“I know, but Mellow is a nice guy when you get to know him, and he could use a hoof,” said Max wringing his hooves.

“I know, you can be too nice for your own good.” She sighed, but with a smile. “But then if you didn’t, you just wouldn’t be your lovable self.”

“Lovable, you say?” said Max, his ears pricking up.

Fragrant blushed. “Yes, well anyway, I really need to go now,” she said hurriedly. “I hope you sort out the thing with Mellow, Confidant, and Kibitz. I should be able to meet you for breakfast tomorrow, and don’t forget it’s my time to choose this weekend's, um, meeting. I have a private box at the Wonderbolts show I thought we could go to.”

“That sounds good,” said Max, still grinning at being found lovable. “Hopefully, the whole Mellow thing will just blow over, he might not need me at all.”


“I don’t think I can do this!” whined Mellow as he and Max arrived outside of the Schere estate.

“Sure you can,” said Max, trying to be soothing. Mellow was high strung at the best of times, right now he looked like he was about to faint, or run off screaming. Sweat was streaming from his flanks and his legs were knocking, he couldn’t seem to stop his wings from flaring around ready to fly off. “Just think about Confidant. This is what you wanted to do, isn’t it? You were waiting for the right moment to ask her.”

“Yes, but I didn’t expect it to be like this! Her father’s never liked me, he thinks I’d run out on her if he doesn’t force me to marry her!” He gnawed nervously at one hoof.

“Prove to him that’s not true, and show him how much you care for his daughter.”

“He can be so intimidating sometimes... Well most of the time really.” Mellow made a visible attempt to pull himself together. “Think of Confidant,” he mumbled. “Think of the foal.” He swallowed painfully.

“Given her magic, I’m sure she knows how things are going to turn out anyway,” joked Max, trying to lighten the mood. He didn’t understand it really, but apparently Confidant could predict the future.

“It doesn’t always work that way,” said Mellow distractedly. “Still... Maybe...”

“Come on, we can’t stand out here on the street all day,” said Max, giving Mellow a shove to get him moving. He had to admit that the Schere estate was a nice home. It was on the third tier of the city along with many of the older noble houses. He’d walked past it a few times in the past, because it wasn’t far from Fragrant’s place, but he’d never been inside. Maybe it was a little smaller and a bit less well kept than its neighbours, but really that just gave it a more lived in feeling. The grounds were small, with various statues of famous members of the house positioned amongst the greenery.

With only a little more coaxing, Max managed to get Mellow to approach to the main door. It immediately swung open, making Max believe they had been observed while they approached. Behind the door was a unicorn mare in a butler's uniform who led them, with icy politeness, into the drawing room.

The room was spacious and contained numerous extremely plush chairs as well as a large drinks cabinet and several servants discreetly placed around the room. Probably more than were needed, because Max suspected they might be there to restrain Mellow if needs be. Judging by how the pegasus’ gaze was snapping from one to the other, he guessed his friend thought that as well. Overall, it was a place that Max would have enjoyed spending a few hours if things weren't quite so tense right now.

The owners of the house were already present. Kibitz and his elder daughter Advisatrix - a much taller and thinner version of Confidant - were seated at one end of the room while Max and Mellow were guided to seats opposite. Clearly battle lines had been drawn, lacking only barbed wire and trenches for the war to begin. Only Confidant herself seemed willing to cross no stallions land, rushing over to Mellow as he entered and giving him a rather self-conscious nuzzle. Max couldn’t help but glance at her abdomen. She couldn’t be more than a few months gone, so there wasn’t really anything to see yet.

“I’m glad you could make it, Baron Max,” said Confidant trying to break the ice. “Mellow talks about you quite often.”

“Yes,” said Mellow looking down at the floor. “You’re a good friend. It’s always nice to have some support.”

“Support!” snorted Kibitz glaring at Mellow. “And why would you need support! This is family business. I’d hope you’d been keen to do your duty! You were certainly keen enough to put us all in this situation, certainly no hesitation there!”

“Father!” exclaimed Confidant.

“It’s not like that, um, sir,” stuttered Mellow, “I would love to, I mean it’s not a duty, it’s a pleasure to, I mean...”

“Be quiet!” snapped Kibitz his moustache bristling. “Now, we are here today to settle this matter. You will do right by my daughter, boy. I will not have her disrespected by you running off on her, not like you ran when I told you about this whole thing.”

Mellow shrunk further into his seat. “Father, you surprised him,” exclaimed Confidant. “I wanted to be the first to tell him the good news. If Advisatrix hadn’t gone running to you.” She glared at her older sister who had the good grace to look embarrassed.

“Your sister did the right thing, dear,” said Kibitz his tone softening a little. “It’s my responsibility to look after you, now that your mother... Well, your sister knows how important protecting family is. I don’t want you to get hurt or your reputation damaged.”

“There’s going to be a new member of this family soon,” muttered Confidant holding a hoof to her abdomen. Mellow hopped out of his chair and rushed over to her, resting a wing over her back and pulling her closer to him.

“And it’s important that your foal gets the best start in life, without any shame hanging over his or her head. You might have left it rather late boy, but you are going to do the right thing.” He glared at Mellow.

“Of course, I, well I would have, if… I was waiting for the right moment, sir.”

“I would say the right moment has passed.”

Mellow stared pitifully at Max, seeming to look for support.

“Um, well you see,” said Max taking his cue, hopefully the old stallion would believe him, “I know Mellow did intend to marry your daughter. He showed me the ring last month, he was waiting for the right moment.”

Kibitz stared at Max for a moment as if trying to decide if he was lying or not. “Got cold hooves did you boy? Maybe decided that my daughter wouldn’t get you as much political leverage as you’d hoped. Maybe you thought you saw somepony better?” he snorted.

Mellow winced as if he’d been struck. “No!” he exclaimed.

“No what, boy?”

“No! I would never,” said Mellow taking a step closer to the older stallion, “see anypony better. There simply isn’t anypony better than Confidant. It’s just not possible! She’s talented, and beautiful, and sweet and generous and understands me more than I do myself!”

Confidant seemed a little overwhelmed by this barrage of compliments and slumped down on her haunches with one hoof held to her month. Kibitz likewise seemed surprised, although he quickly rallied. “Nice words, but what are you going to do about it?”

“This,” growled Mellow turning to Confidant and taking a moment to compose himself he produced the horn ring that Max had seen last month. “Lady Confidant,” he dropped to his knees, “I know I can be silly, get things muddled sometimes, but please believe that I am entirely serious when I ask you to make me the happiest stallion alive by accepting my proposal of marriage?” Max could see the worry in the stallion's eyes as he looked up towards his marefriend.

There was a tense moment before Confidant dropped to her knees and threw a leg over Mellow’s back. “Yes, yes, yes!” she squealed peppering his face with kisses. A look of joy flashed over Mellow’s face as he returned the affection. After a moment he gently pushed her away and stood, turning towards Kiditz.

“To show that my affections are true I am willing, if you wish it my Lady. To offer my resignation to the Princess and give up my position at court so there can be no doubt that all I do is for your, and our foal’s, good. Not my own political benefit!”

Max started from his seat. Mellow could sometimes take things a bit far, but this was rather over the top even for him. It was certainly a romantic gesture but would he really go through with it?

“Very dramatic boy, but do you really expect me to believe that you’d give up everything if I-” said Kibitz.

“No! Not if you asked me,” snapped Mellow. “If Confidant did. This is between me and her, it’s not up to you to decide what we do. If she wants to marry me, I will, but it will because we want to, not because you think it will save you from some non-existent scandal! Don’t you even trust your own daughter to know her mind? To know her heart?”

Kibitz almost staggered back and seemed to be lost for words at the change in Mellow. Max was rather impressed. “Daddy,” said Confidant slowly walking towards her father gently pulling Mellow behind her. “I know you want to look after me, but I’m an adult now and I’ve made my decision.” She glanced over towards her fiancé. “I love him, but I don’t want the two of you to fight.”

“Confidant, I, I, well I have to protect the family, he might hurt you,” stuttered Kibitz suddenly seeming smaller and older.

“He is family, or he will be, so will your granddaughter.” Confidant reached up to take her father's hoof and gently tugged it over towards Mellow letting the two of them touch.

“I would never do anything to hurt your daughter, sir,” said Mellow grasping Kibitz’s hoof and shaking it.

“Well, um, see that you don’t, er, son.”

Confidant smiled and let out a long breath Max hadn’t noticed her to be holding. “I’m glad you’re getting along now. We have so much to organise for the wedding.” Her eyes widened. “Oh, my gosh, the wedding, I’m going to get married,” she exclaimed seeming to realise for the first time. “I’m going to get married!” Her sister rushed over and grabbed her and the two started to hop up and down seeming to communicate in short squeals.

“Yes, well,” said Kibitz, composing himself, “We need to celebrate. “Black, bring out the brandy, the ‘76 I think.”


“They seem to be getting along better,” said Max looking over at Kibitz and Mellow as the former was showing the younger stallion the portraits which covered the walls. Mellow still looked rather nervous in his soon-to-be father-in-law’s presence, but calmer than he had before. Although the remains of a large snifter of brandy he held in one hoof might partially explain that.

“There’s so much I need to organise,” rambled Confidant standing next to him and apparently not listening at all. “I’ll need mares of honour, I’ll have to write to Lyra and Moondancer and... Sorry what was that?” she said, shaking herself.

“I said it looks like Mellow and your father are getting along better.”

“Oh, yes. I thought they would, eventually. Mellow just needed to stand up to him, earn his respect. Daddy is so sweet really but he’s a bit overprotective of me. I guess I’ll always be his little filly, but I saw that if I gave Mellow just the right push he’d-” She held a hoof up to her mouth and blushed furiously, “I mean...”

“You saw?” asked Max frowning. “Did you use your seeing the future thingy?”

“It’s not exactly like that,” she said, looking away. “It’s not the future, it’s a future but it was a really good future. Good for all of us.”

“Isn’t that a bit manipulative?” A thought struck him. “Was your foal really an accident?”

“Well, maybe not exactly an accident. I think we all know what leads to foals. I knew Mellow wanted children sooner or later, and that he wanted to propose, but it might take him forever to work up the courage. So I thought, a little push.” She mimed tapping something with her hoof. “Just to make him stand up for himself, just so he’d be the stallion I know he can be.”

Max nodded. He still wasn’t sure about the morality of what she’d done, but it did make sense, Mellow was a good friend but he was hardly decisive. He guessed Confidant had done it all for a good cause. Maybe he should try to be a bit more decisive about his and Fragrant’s relationship. A good push might be needed there as well although not in quite the same way as Confidant. He was tired of having to hide things. Mellow and Confidant were openly engaged now, and maybe he didn’t want to go quite that far, yet, but just being able to date in public would be nice. Sure, neither Mellow or Kibitz’s families were as well-known as Fragrant’s, but they were far more important than him. Would it really result in a media storm if they were seen together? An idea struck him. He was sure the new couple would have some sort of party to celebrate, so maybe he could get Fragrant to come as his date. He would have to ask her. She’d probably say no, but he had to try.

“Anyway,” said Confidant, breaking Max from his thoughts. “I am glad that everything did work out so well. Daddy’s never been good about me dating. I suppose it’s hard to see your foals as all grown up.” She sighed. “I guess I’ve got that to look forward to in a few decades when this one,” she tapped her stomach, “starts dating. I might find out that I appreciate daddy a bit more once I’ve been through all that.” She laughed. “I’ll have you to blame for it all anyway.”

“Me? What have I got to do with it?” asked Max in surprise.

“Well whose foal do you think she’ll be dating?” asked Confidant with a raised eyebrow.

Author's Note:

Not the most thrilling of chapters I know but I needed to move on a few story lines to get ready for some more important stuff later on.

This will probably be the last chapter of 2017 unless I'm extra productive. I'm hoping to write a Christmas story as usual, probably a sequel to my only main universe story 'Why?', its about half done at the moment but I've run out of steam a bit but I'm hoping to pick it up again this weekend.

The next Mountain chapter will pick up at Mellow and Confidant's engagement party as well as maybe taking up the speciesism arc from back in mountain. We'll see.

Thanks to Geog for his editing of this chapter.

PreviousChapters Next