• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 712 Views, 5 Comments

Inhuman: Ruby Arc - SparkStone



Vent is ditched in Equestria along with his past out to get him and a sudden explosion of events that triggered fro his arrival. The question is if he can turn his life around or will he bring everything down to shambles.

  • ...
6
 5
 712

Chapter 2 - Who to Trust


-Vent's POV-


Here I am in some world thanks to a portal. I'm currently inside a giant tree full of books with a nerdy unicorn and a lizard from across the table, as he just placed a plate of pancakes before us. As we ate, the lizard continued to stare at me. I ignored him as he leaned over to the nerd and whispered something.

"Twi… what the heck is he?"

"I told you we were having a guest from another world, didn't I?" She reminded him.

"I thought you meant from another country or something! Not… an alien!"

I finished my meal and past the plate to the lizard. Doing so, I added a remark to him as well. "They were kinda plain."

"Use the syrup then." He retorted.

"I did. They were both plain."

The lizard groaned while Twilight gave a nervous smile. "Anyways, why don't I introduce you to each other? Spike, this is Vent, he helped us defeat Dr. Metallic after crossing over to our world. Vent, this is Spike, my number one assistant."

The little lizard smiled with pride. I was a bit mystified how this non pony creature was here, talking and being part of this pony society.

"Why do you have a lizard?" I questioned.

The smiling lizard became sour and slammed the table yelling, "I'm not a lizard! I'm a dragon!"

"Okay, why do you have a fire breathing lizard?" I corrected myself.

"I told you, he's my assistant." She said once more. "I couldn't do much without Spike's help. With him around, it makes things a whole lot easier."

"Do you pay him?"

"Hmm?" she muttered before holding her chin. "No, I don't." That's a slave then, isn't it?

A knock then came to the door. Twilight got up and opened it, revealing Applejack right behind it. She gave a smile as she greeted to her.

"Hi Twilight. How ya doing?"

"Fine Applejack. What brings you here?" Twilight wondered.

"I was wondering if you could do me a favor." She explained. "This year's harvest, I wanna try and get more apples before cider season starts. Have an extra surplus so every pony can have a drink. I know a couple would complain like always about how short the supply is."

"So basically, horses want bubbly apple juice." I thought to myself. "I prefer soda."

"I'd be happy to help Applejack." Twilight happily accepted.

"Great then! Drop by the farm soon!" She told her before looking to me. "You too Vent! It'd be great if I could get your help too!"

"What? Why do I have to go?" I questioned.

"I'm just suggesting is all." She claimed. "Could use a strong fella like yourself. I bet you got a good kick to buck down some apples."

What happened to you owing me one?

Looking to the side, I answered. "It all depends if I have nothing better to do."

"I'll be happy to pay you for your efforts." she added. "You could use the money after all."

"Fine." I sighed. "I'll be there."

"Great! See you around partner!"

With that, she left. I looked up and thought about my life. It may be very well have been stuck to these horses for the rest of whatever's left. I'm definitely going to spend every waking moment with them now. Just perfect.


-Applejack's POV-


After a while, I managed to get all of my friends over to help, including Vent. Meeting up near the barn, I thanked them for coming.

"Thanks every pony! I'm glad you can make it! With your help, this year's cider will last even longer!"

"Anything to ensure me getting a sip of that stuff!" Rainbow stated. She then flew closer to me and said, "You also… owe me one for this you know."

"I don't have enough bits to pay all of you ya know." I informed her. "I'm paying Vent because he needs to get used to working in a new world."

"I'm aware on how jobs work." Vent remarked with a frown.

"Fine, then. Just make sure you get me a spot on the cider line."

"I'm not gonna promise that." I responded to that request. I got every pony to look to the orchard and showed them where to go. Bringing Vent with me, I showed him how things were done. After getting some wagons and splitting up, we started working.

"Okay Vent, let me show you how to do your job."

"You just pick the apples, right?" He stated. "How much simpler can it get?"

"You gotta buck them first."

"Buck?" He repeated.

"Yeah, like this."

Demonstrating him the how to, I kicked the tree hard enough to get all the apples to drop. I was able to catch all of them using a basket and poured it into the wagon. Vent's expression turned from annoyed and despised to a raised eyebrow of interest. He rubbed his chin and kicked the dirt nodding.

"Hmm… That was a decent kick."

"Thanks Vent." I replied gratefully before looking back to him. "Now you give it a try."

A quick kick and two brought all of the apples down. I had to say, I was impressed as he picked up the apples from the ground.

"Is that good enough?" He asked as he puts all the apples in the wagon.

"Good, but next time you wanna get all the apples before they fall." I told him.

"Catching them before they fall? Asking for a bit much don't you think?"

Chuckling, we continued working. As we walked and bucked the trees, I found myself asking him questions. This was when I learned that he didn't like being bothered by something personal.

"So, tell me about yourself Vent." I asked. "What'd you do back when you were in your world?"

"No comment." He said in response.

"Okay then… Where'd you come from? What was your hometown like?"

"That's a bit personal."

"Not much talking comes to mind?" I questioned.

"I don't like it when people interrogate me." He stated.

"I didn't mean to peer into your business Vent." I ensured him. "Just wanted to get to know you better."

"There's no difference. You wanting to get to know me means you want to get into my business. Contradicting your intentions, don't you think?"

"Trying to get smart with me now?" I chuckled with a smirk at him.

"Why do you need to know anything about me anyways? What does it matter?"

"I guess you're right. No matter what you say, I think you're a good guy… whatever you are."

He looked as if he was surprised at what I said. Turning to me with his head lowered, he got us to stop as he then spoke in curiosity. "Why would you think that?"

"Think what?"

"That I'm a good person. You don't even know me. Just because I saved your hide once doesn't mean a thing. I could turn my back on you, and no one would be the wiser."

"Maybe." I admitted. "Just say that I have a gut feeling that you're not evil or anything of the sort."

"That's a sorry excuse." He muttered under his breath. "Are you really serious? Why would you tell me this at all?"

"I've got nothing to say but the truth." I told him.

"Not being able to tell a lie is a major weakness. I could use it against you if I ever betray you."

"And I trust that you won't, so it's okay."

Vent huffed to the side and gave up on the conversation. After a couple of apple trees were bucked, something happened. We heard it coming not so far away. We waited for it to show itself, but when it came, I was in awe. It was another alicorn, only it wasn't one of the princesses. It was a male, black alicorn with red eyes and a blue mane. It didn't have a cutie mark strangely. Vent stared at it with some confusion.

"What, is this a mix breed of unicorns and pegasus now?"

"Nice to see you again." He spoke in a low voice. I got baffled by what he just said. "I've been looking for you ever since. Did you miss me?"

"Um… I'm sorry mister, I don't believe we've met before." I told him.

"Not you missy." He stated before pointing to Vent, making his eyes shrink. "It's been a while… Vent…"

Vent unsheathed his sword halfway, getting ready to attack. "How do you know my name!?"

"How could I not know you after what you've done to me?"

"What…?" I muttered.

"I don't know you! Stop lying!"

"I know everything about you Vent." He said before suddenly appearing behind Vent, throwing his sword down to the ground. "All of yours sins… All of your regrets… What shaped you to what you are now… A blood thirsty murderer, still hungry for war…"

Vent froze as the alicorn's teeth became sharp and took a huge bite onto his shoulder. He screamed while I was shocked. And pushed the alicorn off, letting Vent drop to the ground, tired.

"What are you doing!?"

"He owes me a lot of blood after what he's done…" The alicorn stated. "The way he is now, he deserves nothing less than the destruction he's brought ever since he was born."

"You… You're a liar…!" Vent breathed. "I don't even know you! I just came to this stupid world! You don't know anything!"

"I know the mark of darkness when I see it." He declared before pointing towards him. "Under your sleeve is a marking that destines you to have the very power to destroy society and throw everything into chaos. Worst than Discord can ever do."

I was stunned. I could tell he wasn't lying. Looking over to Vent, having eyes shrunk to pinpricks, looking at his shoulder. He slowly lifted it, showing the marking. It was a skull with its forehead cracked, reading, DARKNESS underneath it. Vent was lost as the alicorn walked up to him, charging his horn.

"To rid you from this world is best, Darkling." He stated.

Vent was still, not sure what to do. I stood before him, and blocked the way. The alicorn looked at me with a raised eyebrow and said, "Step aside. This must be done…"

"N-No!" I told him. "I may not know much about Vent, but you're wrong about him being bad! He… Can be good!"

"Darklings like him will destroy society, trust, and friendship. Did you not witness how he pushes everything away? That's how he was raised."

"Well I don't believe it!" I told him. "He's different!"

"What are you doing!?" Vent yelled. "Stop talking!"

"But Vent! He's gonna kill you!"

The alicorn sighed as he poked my head and said, "Having feelings for this creature… a pity. But I have no choice. If you don't step aside, then I'll have to erase you first."

His horn glowed, and then the spark was shot. I closed my eyes, but Vent jumped on me and took it. The alicorn grinned while Vent lied on me, not moving at all. I panicked and checked him quickly. I turned to glare at the alicorn, but he left before he could say who he was. Vent was bleeding out. I dropped the barrel of apples out and brought Vent onto the wagon. I raced over to the house as quickly as possible.

I just hope I'm not too late.


-3rd POV-


The six ponies surrounded Vent once more as he lied on the bed. The ponies had dropped their jobs after Applebloom and Big Macintosh went out to get them. As he woke up, they all sighed in relief.

"Whew! This is the second time we had to save you!" Rainbow pointed out.

"Ugh… What happened…?" Vent wondered.

"Applejack told us you were attacked by an alicorn." Twilight explained. "She brought you to her house and got you treated. We came as soon as we heard about it."

"Why do you all keep worrying about me?" Vent questioned. "I'm not your kid you know."

"Stop bantering on like that and explain yourself!" Rarity scolded. "Why didn't you tell us who you were?"

"Destroyer of society?" Applejack spoke. "What did he mean by that?"

"You're not bad, are you?" Pinkie asked.

Vent looked away saying, "I'm me… that's all there is to it."

Twilight pulled his chin and got his head to look back at them. "Stop looking away. It's time to give us answers. We can't help you if you don't tell us anything! It's time to open up!"

Lowering his head, he grits his teeth tightly. "What do I have to say…"

The ponies exchanged looks of confusion before Rainbow asked, "What are you talking about? Just talk about yourself!"

"I don't know!" He shouted. "I… Don't remember anything…!"

In silence, they stared at Vent as he clenched his shoulder marking tightly. "I don't know anything… Just that I'm a human… My name is Vent Psych… and that I can fight… That's all I know… I lost all of my memories when I passed through that portal…"

"Oh my…" Fluttershy whispered.

"You poor thing…" Rarity cooed.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Twilight asked.

"Why should I trust you!?" Vent barked. "You expect me to trust the next thing I see after I lose my memories, get brought to some equine world, and go along fine and dandy!? I can't just trust someone who can lie to me! I… I…"

"It's not like you can do much by yourself…" Rainbow stated without making eye contact. "If you don't know anything, how can you trust yourself?"

"… That's why… I'm scared…" Vent admitted.

Surprised by Vents words, he holds his hands and says, "I was fine with being alone before, because I knew who I am… but now, I can't even trust myself… I don't know what to do, or what I was going to do… But to rely on someone, it was just…"

"Really scary." Fluttershy finished, getting everyone to look at her. "It's hard to get to know new ponies, especially when you're not sure about yourself."

"Yeah…" Vent sighed. "It's like that I guess…"

Withing sympathy, the girls remained quiet and saddened for his situation. It wasn't long before Applejack kicked the floor a bit before placing her hoof onto Vent. "Don't worry. I'll be there for you. You won't have to worry about me at least. I already told you about me, didn't I?"

"… You can’t lie…" Vent muttered.

"So… How about it? Can you trust me to let me help you out a bit?"

It was then Vent now had a new feeling. For a long time, he has yet to feel so secure. So safe knowing she would not betray him with lies. Even if this was a small start, it was comforting. Vent closed his eyes and accepted.

"… Just… don't hold me back…"

Author's Note:

Vent, you're a jerk.

Be nice you jerk.

She's trying to help you jerk. >_<

I don't make Alicorn OC's. I just don't see the point. Using them as an antagonist was more fun than a "good guy".

Name? I don't know yet. *Derp*