• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,125 Views, 101 Comments

A New World, a New Identity - Snek



Pokémon Trainer, Tyler Watsky, is sent to Equestria by the god of Pokémon himself. Now he’s stuck with a new body, a noble pony, and a man-made Eeveelution. Will he be able to adapt to this new world?

  • ...
8
 101
 2,125

Chapter 2

Shadow was carried by the horned pony to a large warehouse where other guards were also taking Pokemon to. He was thrown into a small cage, barely big enough for him and maybe someone else of his size, with enough room that they would be shoulder to shoulder with only a few inches between them. Glancing around, he found hundreds of other cages, many containing Pokemon, most of the others still waiting to be filled. The ponies didn’t seem to be capturing any specific types of Pokemon, as he saw them in almost every type and body style. He tried the bars of the cage, and they didn’t budge. He used a few attacks with no better results. He would have to wait until they opened it to feed him and hope one of the horned ones wasn’t nearby.


Several hours had passed since Shadow had been locked up, and the other cages around him were slowly filling up. He tried making conversation with Pokemon around him but they were all either too scared to hold a conversation or too mad at being locked up. His plan of escaping during feeding time was foiled when a unicorn teleported the food through the bars of the cage, and seemed to smirk as though he knew the strange creatures plan.

Long after Shadow had lost track of the time, and the sun was visible in the large doors on the West side of the warehouse, he was given a cellmate. A winged guard flew in at max speed, immediately asking for a cage. In his arms was a strange Pokemon that Shadow didn’t believe he had ever seen before. It had the size and shape of an eeveelution, but didn’t match up with the characteristics for any he knew. It had a smooth dark purple coat, with several spots around joints where the fur was lighter and spiker, it’s tail was a sharp looking blade, similar to an Absol’s, and long spike covered ears. It was struggling and screaming in terror the whole time it was carried in.

“PLEASE PLEASE! YOU NEED TO PUT ME DOWN! I DON’T WANT TO HURT YOU PLEASE! GET A DOCTOR! SOMEONE! GET SOME PECHA BERRIES OR AN ANTIDOTE BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE!”

Unfortunately the ponies couldn’t understand her Pokespeak, and even if they could it was doubtful they would listen until it was too late.

She was tossed into Shadows cage, an official looking unicorn casting a spell allowing her to pass through the bars so they wouldn’t need to be opened. She jumped up and immediately began begging the guards for a doctor. They just left, figuring she was just mad about being locked up.

After a moment of worry, she turned to her new cage partner. “Please, this is very important, did I touch you, at all. Even just brush your leg. I need to know.”

“Um… I think your ear touched my tail for a second, but you flicked it away when it touched it.”

Panic immediately filled the strange females eyes. “Please tell me you know a status healing move. Please.”

Shadow nodded, closing his eyes for a second before muttering “Heal Bell,” a faint light passing over his body.

The strange Pokemon sighed in relief, before saying “My name is Valerie. What’s yours,” in an awkward tone suggesting a desire for a change in conversation.

“Shadow. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Pokemon like you before.”

Valerie looked down, her demeanor quickly changing from relief to sorrow.

“Oh, um did I say something wrong? Did I touch on a sore spot?”

“No, no. Well… Yes, it is a sore spot. I’m a Veneon. We’re… I’m a new species of Eeveelution, poison type.”

“Really? I didn’t know that a new one had been discovered since Sylveon.” Immediately after he said it, he regretted it, tears now gathering in Valerie’s eyes.

”You wouldn’t have. Um… I don’t like to talk about this but I’ve heard it isn’t good to bottle these sorts of things up… If I tell you can you promise not to talk to others about it without my permission?”

“If you don’t want to talk about it it’s fine. Really.”

“No, no, I should just get it out in the open. Do you know a Doctor Nurem?”

The name sounded familiar to Shadow, but he couldn’t remember from where. “No I don’t believe I have.”

After a sigh from the “Veneon”, she continued. “He was a mad scientist, he… experimented with Pokemon. He killed over eight hundred in his experiments, very few lived. I was one of the lucky few. If you could call living like this lucky. My form has a...very overactive poison point ability. If anything touches me, even for a moment, they’re inflicted. I really hope that guard will be okay.” She tried to stick her head out the cage to check, with none of the guards in sight. “I hurt everyone I touch…” With that she broke down crying. Sobbing uncontrollably into the bars of the cage.

Shadow was stunned, he didn’t know how to deal with this sort of situation, as it wasn’t something he was all too familiar with. None of the Eevee from his family ever really cried, and no one on his team ever really did either. So he did the first thing that came to mind.

Suddenly, Valerie felt two forelegs wrap around her shoulders, and a soft cheek rest against hers. Her eyes widened and she tried to jerk away, but the Umbreon held her tightly.

“It’s okay, I can heal myself. It’ll all be alright. You're not with him anymore.”

She sobbed into him some more. This was the first person to ever be brave enough to touch her purposefully since… No, she can’t think about him right now. She was free. And she had a friend. And she would definitely make the best of this, for her brother’s sakes.


After Tyler came back again he and FancyPants exchanged information about each other's worlds, and concluded that some powerful being had transported all of the Pokemon and likely many humans to Equus, and transformed the humans into Pokemon, or at least hopefully he wasn’t the only one. Fancy pants explained that he was in Canterlot, the capital of a country called Equestria, and explained that he, and the majority of the rest of the country were inhabited by creatures called ponies, and gave a brief summary of the raes, pegasi who could fly, earth ponies who had a connection with the land and were exceptionally strong, unicorns who could focus magic through their horns, and alicorns, which were a mix of all three.
,
FancyPants offered to let Tyler stay at his mansion for as long as he needs, since he seemed to be a “Reasonable fellow,” and that he “Must continue to be noble in more than title, since most are not these days.” He only wished for help defending his home from some of the more aggressive ‘Mons that he had heard reports of around the city. Tyler happily agreed, but made sure to mention that he couldn’t control his new powers yet and would need his team to do so.

And so it was that Tyler found himself walking down the streets of Canterlot calling out the names of his lost comrades. “Shadow! Kenny! Queen! Anybody!” He had been searching for his friends for about an hour and a half. FancyPants had renewed the spell so he could ask for directions back to the mansion if need be, and given him some bits so he could get food without having to return, which currently hung in a small bag around his neck. This wasn’t the right way to do this. At this rate it could take months, or even years to find them. From what he had heard from FancyPants Equestria was a big place, and his partners might not even be in Equestria, they could be anywhere else on the planet too for all he knew. If only there was somewhere he could go to to find his Pokemon. Some sort of Pokemon Reunion Commission. He sighed, for now, until something like that was set up, he would have to do it the hard way.

He looked up and to his right, Canterlot Castle was easily visible from anywhere in the city, but it seemed massive even on the far side of the large mountain cliff that supported the Equestrian Capital. To believe that it was built thousands of years ago, in a world without any modern equipment, was almost inconceivable. Imagining the number of ponies needed to pull off such a feat, and the skill needed to organize and manage the project left him dizzy. From what he had heard the two sisters that lived in the imperious yet beautiful spires known as Celestia and Luna controlled the day and night, respectively. This wasn’t too hard to believe, they sounded like the Equestrian equivalent of a legendary, and there seemed to be a legend for just about every natural function of the Earth except for night and day. “I guess they have a complete set now” he mused to himself.


Once Valerie had gotten most of the crying out of her system, she fell asleep, having had an exhausting day. Shadow kept awake, while the ponies seemed to mostly be scared of the Pokemon and thought they were protecting themselves, he wasn’t sure how far they’d go to do so. He heard a door bang open, and about five guards all fighting to restrain something. He couldn’t see past their writhing bodies to see what they were wrangling, but he could hear a rather familiar voice yelling and cursing at the top of her lungs at them. Suddenly the Pokemon broke free from them and rushed down the aisle between the cages, all of the guards chasing after her. She stopped suddenly, and turned around. The guards all stopped too. She moved forward, they flinched, and with a scream she rushed back forwards, her keys jangling menacingly. With this the guards finally fled, one of them yelling “I don’t get paid enough to fight demonic key rings!” Another threatened, “We’ll be back with more you stupid… thing.”

She floated over to the nearest cage, full of about twenty Rattata, and unlocked it. They dashed out to the nearest doorway, the pitiful shrieks of the guards could be heard as the rodent Pokemon stampeded them.

All the commotion had woken up Valerie, and Shadow finally recognized the Klefki. She was moving down the row, unlocking all the cages she could reach. One of the Rattata wandered back in, and came up to the Klefki. “What do you want,” was the brusque acknowledgment he was given.

“My name is Joey. I’m looking for my Rattata, I used to be human. He wasn’t in the cage with me. Have you seen him?”

“How would I know I know which was yours.”

“Oh I’m sure you would have noticed him. He’s top percentage.”

The Klefki gave him a deadpan stare, and continued unlocking cages. The youngster took the hint and wandered off.

After watching the curious exchange, Shadow finally spoke up. “BBK?”

The Klefki stopped for a moment, turning her glare on the Umbreon, before breaking out in a smile and rushing over to unlock the cage. “I’m so glad I finally found someone. Have you seen anyone else? I haven’t heard anything about the rest of the team.”

“No, sorry. BBK, I’d like you to meet my newest friend, Valerie.”

The Veneon stopped suddenly as she was halfway out of the cage, she could practically feel the Key Ring’s eyes boring into her as she was scrutinized. Just when she was beginning to consider running, BBK smiled, if you could call whatever she did with her keyhole smiling, “Hiya, I’m BooBoo Keys, but most people call me BBK, ya know, since it’s less awkward.”

She held out one of her keys for Valerie to shake, she only faltered for a moment before remembering the Klefki was a Steel-Type and accepting. “I’m Valerie, but you can call me Val; it’s nice to meet you.”

Just as they finished their greetings a door banged open and several dozen guards rushed in. A few of them pointed to the floating key ring and explained that what was giving them trouble. There was a moment of silence, and they all burst out laughing. BBK was quick to piece together what they were laughing at, and slowly floated over to them, putting on her cutest face possible. One of the mares of the guard coming forward, and in a mockingly sweet baby voice, “Awww, wook at this wittle cutie, were the big boys giving you twubble?”

BBK faked sadness for the mare, looking down and letting her ring droop, and nodding. The mare turned around and gave the five from before a smirk, and while her back was turned, BBK’s expression changed to a malicious grin, sneaking up closer to her. When the guard turned back around, she jumped back upon suddenly seeing the Pokemon up in her face, with a very different demeanor.

“Kle Kleflki!” was all the guard heard before a blinding pink light washed over them, released Pokemon that hadn’t gone the long way through the offices rushed out. Knowing full well that her element of surprise had vanished, BBK joined her friends and escaped to safety.


After searching all the way until after dark, Tyler felt it would be prudent to return to the mansion. He managed to traverse through Canterlot unmolested, and entered the stately manor. The hired guards eyed him as he entered, but made no move to stop him. As he entered he was approached by an aged pony butler with a rather obvious toupee. “Greetings Master Tyler, Master FancyPants has been waiting to start dinner. He was not sure of your dietary needs, so you should make haste to order dinner before the cook must return home.”

The Flaaffy nodded in thanks and began to wander off before stopping and asking for directions, which were heartily given. He entered the dining room, seeing FancyPants at the end of a long table, already set up with enough plates and silverware for eight. FancyPants was furiously scribbling down something on a piece of parchment with his levitation, a look of mild fury upon his muzzle. Looking up as he heard the door close, he immediately dropped the pen and got out of his chair, his ire shifting to relief.

“My good friend you have no IDEA how worried I've been! I would never have sent you out to search for your friends had I known that my cousin BlueBlood was having guards detain your kind! I was just now sending a letter to the captain of the guard stating that he has no right to do so, since you are all obviously intelligent and sapient beings! I swear one of these days my dear cousin will get his!”

Tyler was surprised at this, he had only just met this pony, and he already thought of him as a friend, and was worried about him, and he had opened up his home to a complete stranger. Were all ponies, discounting this “BlueBlood,” this hospitable?

“Give me a moment to finish this letter, Loyalty, could you fetch Barnardo so he can begin our dinner preparations.”

“Of course sir,” Tyler jumped and looked behind him, that was one quiet butler, he hadn’t even known he had entered the room.

Fancy chuckled when he saw Tyler’s reaction. “Yes he’s quite the quiet one isn’t he. He is of the belief that the perfect butler is only noticeable when needed, he spooks guests more often than I’d like, but it does make for good entertainment. Go ahead and take a seat, I’ll finish up this letter and we can talk more after.”

Just then the door opened, and a tall white bird creature walked in. He gave a small bow to FancyPants, and seeing that his employer was currently occupied approached Tyler first to get his order.

“Um, I’m not sure what I want, do you have a menu or something.”

“I can make just about any dish, just name what you want and I can prepare it.”

“And don’t worry about choosing ‘high society’ dishes, this is not a formal affair, so just order whatever you’d enjoy,” added FancyPants.

“In that case, can you make pizza?”

The griffin began to speak, before faltering. “I’m not sure if I’m familiar with that dish, is it a specialty of your world?”

“Well, if you haven’t heard of it, I suppose it is. If I give an explanation of how to make it could you still make one? Keep in mind I’m no chef.”

“Young master, I am always delighted to learn a new dish, however, I must return to my home before it is too late, especially with what has happened. No offense intended to Pokemon, but I have heard dreadful things about ongoings in the city, and I would prefer to return before it gets to be too late at night. If you show me tomorrow I can make if for you in the future.”

“That sounds reasonable, how about some pasta? Do you have spaghetti here?”

“We most certainly do, and for you, Master Fancy?”

“I’ll go with my usual garden salad,” was his short reply, without looking up.

The chef dipped a small bow and returned to his kitchen to prepare the dinners. FancyPants made one final scribble on his parchment and rolled it up, handing it (hoofing it?) over to his butler, who Tyler could swear wasn’t there a moment ago. “Hopefully the captain will release the others upon my letter’s arrival. I hate writing to the Princesses, I always feel so needy whenever I do.”

“Thank you, for everything. Are all ponies this hospitable and friendly? I’m not sure if most humans would have allowed a stranger into their homes like this.”

“Well, most nobleponies wouldn’t. Many these days have become absorbed in their titles, and become loathsome of ‘the common rabble.’ I always strive to be a true gentle pony, helping all in need.”

“Well once again, thank you. If you hadn't taken me in I may have ended up captured like those other Pokemon you mentioned, or sleeping in the cold.”

“Oh please, don’t mention it. I’m always happy to help the unfortunate.” He paused for a moment before continuing. “I suppose that you had no luck in finding your friends.”

Tyler took a moment to release a heavy sigh. “No, maybe if your letter works I can go down to wherever they’re keeping the other Pokemon and look around some. Maybe one or two will be there. Most of the Pokemon I’ve seen around have been ones that typically inhabit cities and other highly populated areas, so if we’re going to assume that my team will be spread out by the same rules, the most likely ones to be here would be my Scrafty, Damian, and my Klefki, BooBoo Keys.”

FancyPants snorted a little at the second name. “What? Compared to FancyPants for a creature without pants it’s not that ridiculous.”

“Point taken,” was the noble’s short reply between snickers.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Thadius0 for editing and allowing me to use a character based off of his fic: A New World, A New Mind