• Published 7th Mar 2015
  • 2,127 Views, 34 Comments

You aren't a bully - Angrywritingskills



Sunset Shimmer tells Twilight how she rose to power in Canterlot High. She didn't do it alone.

  • ...
4
 34
 2,127

The Climb

Inside the junkyard was something that could only be seen to be believed. Hordes of high school students crowded into a big open area. Most were on the ground where they stood so close to one another that they were almost touching. Some had climbed mounds of junk so they could sit at a higher viewpoint. All cursed and shouted at one another, creating a huge ruckus.

Sunset and Badger cautiously crept through the crowd. Neither of them knew what to do or how to act. For Badger, he wanted to remain unnoticed. Freshmen didn’t get respect and out of school it would be worse because now there are no rules to hold anyone back. Sunset on the other hand was scared but had an objective in mind. She was looking for Warden. His words about telling her about bullying rang in her ears.

“Sunset,” Badger called out. The girl had ran ahead. “Sunset,” Badger called out again, pushing through to get to her. “Sunset,” Badger finally got to her.

“What?” she spun around and stared at her companion. Badger stopped, eyeing her back. He wore a worried expression, one which Sunset did not share as she glared. It was enough to get her point across. She turned around again and took a step forward.

The step she took was abruptly halted. Two boys barged through the crowd, dragging behind them another boy. The boy being dragged was in rough shape, bleeding a lot over himself. Sunset only got a quick glimpse at him before he was dragged out of sight. She just stared blankly after that.

“Stay close to me,” Badger gently grabbed hold of Sunset’s hand.

“Don’t touch me,” the girl muttered under her breath but did not resist when Badger held her hand. Slowly, he walked her through the crowd to find somewhere that was less crowded. Both of them swerved around other kids, most of them bigger than the two. There was lots of screaming and zestful cheering. Everyone was acting insane like they were at some sort of bizarre ritual.

Sunset and Badger were slowly starting to become more frightened and anxiety was creeping into their brains. It seemed that there was no escape from the mobs. Sunset took it harder than Badger did. In Badger’s mind he felt that one day this would be him, that he belonged here even though it was frightening. For Sunset, it was the opposite. She wanted to leave this place, regretting ever stepping foot inside. The only thing that kept her from running away was Badger. It was more than his hold on her hand, she felt safe around him. There was something Sunset couldn’t explain but she felt dependent on him.

She hated that the most.

“This is over whelming,” Sunset said as they continued to walk. In front of them two bullies wrestled each other on the ground. Badger stepped over them and eased Sunset to follow.

“What?” Bader said, not hearing anything Sunset had said. He looked around wildly. “We need to get out of this place,” he yelled at Sunset. Looking up in the sky, he finally saw what he was looking for. “There,” he pointed.

Sunset peered her eyes. Badger was pointing to the towering junk piles. It was clear of Badger’s intention and Sunset nodded in agreement. Pulling Sunset behind him, Badger raced for the nearest pile. They had to go through a crowd but they came out fine. As soon as they got to the pile Badger let Sunset go and began climbing up. He took a few steps up, using his hands to give him more traction, before a boot came and kicked him in the face. He tumbled down onto the ground in front of Sunset. They both looked up to see a bigger than life bully looming over them.

This bully was covered in dirt and grease from head to toe. The filth made him harder to see in the night, looking more like a darkened form than a person. He stepped down from the junk pile, causing trash to come falling down.

“You have nerve stepping on my place,” the bully spoke in a gruff voice, maybe the side effect of heavy tobacco use. “Hope you’re willing to fight for your life.” The bully stood over Badger as Sunset watched in horror. Just as soon as it looked like it was the end for Badger, a voice spoke.

“Hold it,” the voice said. Everyone looked to see Warden arriving, holding his hand out. He walked over to the dirty bully, putting his arm around him. “They’re just freshies; don’t waste your time with them.” He patted the dirty bully on the back. “Go get something to eat.”

The dirty bully grunted before lumbering away. He disappeared behind the junk pile. Warden chuckled to himself. “Great guy. His dad owns this place. He’s the reason we get to have this.” Warden bent over and lifted Badger back to his feet.

“Thanks,” Badger murmured.

“Great guy?” Sunset tilted her head. “He looked like he was going to kill Badger.”

Warden shot Badger a disapproving glare. “That’s because Badger was stepping all over his turf. What the fuck, man,” Warden gave Badger a quick punch to the shoulder. “Show some respect.”

Badger looked at the ground. “S-Sorry,” he murmured.

Warden smiled and put an arm around Badger. “Just promise me you’ll actually fight him next year. I can’t bail you out every time.” The two began walking away, leaving Sunset behind. Warden looked over his shoulder real quick. “Are you coming?” he called to Sunset who quickly chased after them.

The trio arrived at another large pile of junk that too towered high above the crowd below. Warden ran ahead and stomped up the pile. He stood halfway up to the top and looked down at Sunset and Badger. With a flick of his head, he commanded the two to follow him up. Badger leapt onto the pile and began the climb. It wasn’t the easiest climb, his feet slipped and he found himself climbing with his hands, like an animal. Badger made it about halfway to the where Warden was when he looked back down.

Sunset was doing her best to keep up with the two bullies. She dug her heels into the junk in an attempt to get some footing but fell when the junk underneath her gave way. At the last moment she caught herself by digging her hand into the pile. Badger saw Sunset’s struggle and started to go down towards her. Before he could make it close to her, a can hit him on the back of his head.

Warden glared at him. “Don’t you dare help her,” Warden seethed. “You two have to make it up by yourselves. And if you fall and break something, it’s your own damn fault.” With gusto, Warden turned and continued to make his way up. Badger gave Sunset one last concerned looked before hauling up the junk, leaving her alone.

Sunset growled to herself and with a forceful heave she restarted her climb. The metal from the pile dug into her soft hands and her knees darkened from the filth. Up ahead, Badger was advancing quicker than Sunset, using his willpower and strength to overcome the obstacle. He still bore signs of struggle, however, such as his mouth set into a determined snarl. Warden stood looking down at the two, already at the top. With a kick, he sent a small landslide down towards Sunset and Badger. Badger took the brunt of it, blocking it with his arm. He picked up some debris and chucked it at Warden to get him back. Warden lamely deflected it with his fist and smiled.

Badger made it up first and stood next to Warden. The two glanced at each other and then to Sunset who was still climbing. She was determined but just not as fierce as Badger had been so she was going at a much slower pace. However, she wasn’t showing signs of stopping and slowly but surely made her way closer to the top. Badger, upon Sunset’s arrival, knelt down and held his hand out to his companion. Sunset reached out for it but before she could grab it Warden interjected. The king bully grabbed Badger’s arm and collar and threw him backwards. Badger landed in a pile of junk behind him, buried in the stuff.

“I said don’t help her!” Warden shouted, barring his teeth. He gave Sunset another stare and then left her alone. She retracted her hand and bit her lip in determination. Then she finished the climb strong, tearing up the junk underneath her. When she finally got to stand on her feet again she was amazed at how high up she was.

Where she stood was on a plateau of sorts made of junk. From up there she could see all of the Rumbler. The crowd looked to be moving as one single organism, furiously thrashing like a sea at the time of a storm. Sunset watched for a minute before turning away. The whole thing frightened her.

Badger emerged from the pile of junk he had been buried in and stood back up. He shook the filth off of him and stepped forward. Him and Sunset exchanged looks before they began looking for Warden. They found him sit on a throne, except this throne was a heap of junk piled together. A junk throne.

Before either of them could get closer, they were blocked by someone. The person who blocked them was a punkish looking girl with black clothing and black hair. She stared angrily at them.

“What are you two doing here?” she growled in a scratchy voice.

“They’re freshies,” Warden spoke up from his junk throne, not caring to look in their direction. “So leave them alone. Go be a bitch somewhere else.”

The girl seemed to get angry at Warden but only snarled a bit in protest. She looked at Sunset and Badger again before leaving, disappearing behind another pile.

After that was over, Sunset and Badger approached Warden and his throne. The spot they were at looked over the entire Rumbler, like a seat in a stadium. Warden rested his head on his fist and gleamed down at the whole scene.

“Magnificent, isn’t it?” he spoke to no one in particular. “The pinnacle of what bullying stands for.” He swept his hand across the landscape. “All of this is what it is to be a bully.” He stood up. “To be a man.” Warden turned to Sunset and Badger, regarding them strangely.

“So this is great and all,” Sunset started, “but what’s the point of all this?”

Warden grinned at her. “You’re right. What is the point of this?” He snapped his fingers. “Badger, how about you answer this? Let’s see how much of a bully you really are.”

“Uh, uh, ah,” Badger gasped, shocked he would be quizzed on basic bully knowledge. “The Rumbler,” he gulped and began, “is when all bullies from Canterlot High and the neighboring communities compete in a massive fight.” He looked down at the crowd. “The fight is till the last man standing and whoever is left becomes the leader of the bullies.” Badger looked back at Warden to see if he did well.

Warden rubbed his chin. “Anyways,” he turned away and sat back on his throne, “we have this every year to decide who will inherit the title. Since the title is mine and I’m graduating this year, I have to pass it on.”

“Was my answer good?” Badger asked nervously, approaching Warden.

Warden shot Badger a murderous glare. “Shut up!” he barked to which Badger shied away.

Sunset leaned down towards Warden, placing herself in front of him. “Listen, you told me yesterday that you would tell me about bullying. I want to know everything. How would one like me have power like you?”

Warden seemed to ignore Sunset, not looking in her direction. He smiled lamely before stretching. He looked at Sunset and then at Badger.

“Badger,” Warden said, motioning for Badger to approach him. When he did Warden spoke again. “Your girlfriend is ambition. Do you encourage that?”

Both Sunset’s and Badger’s hairs pricked up at the word, girlfriend.

“Sh-she’s not my girlfriend,” Badger protested, his face reddening.

“I’m not his girlfriend!” Sunset stomped her foot, her face reddening even deeper than Badger’s.

Warden’s expression did not change, he still was stone faced. “You didn’t answer my question,” he stated coldly to Badger.

“I- uh, no I don’t,” Badger said. “She keeps talking about ruling the school or gaining power. One day I saw her taking notes about the different groups in school. I keep telling her girls can’t be bullies but she won’t listen. She,” Badger was silenced by Warden suddenly raising his hand.

“That’ll do,” he said and then looked up. Approaching them was the girl with the scratchy voice, in her hands was a megaphone.

“Warden,” she said in her scratchy voice, “it’s time.” She handed him the megaphone. “Start whenever you feel like it,” she shot Sunset and Badger a mean look before walking away again.

Warden stood up and puffed his chest out. He looked at Sunset and Badger before gazing upon the crowd. They were unruly as ever, still pushing and shoving one another. Most screamed insults and profanities. Sunset looked at Warden, wondering what he was going to do. As leader of the bullies, she figured he’d have some authority but she had doubts if it would be enough to control a crowd this size.

Warden gripped the megaphone tightly with one hand and held a detachable microphone in the other. “You may want to cover your ears,” he said to Sunset and Badger. Before either of them could react he flipped a switch on the back of the megaphone that read siren. A piercing sound filled both of their ear drums and immediately the two covered their ears. The effect it had on the crowd was sudden. They all heard the siren and at once looked to the source. It started with those closest to the junk mountain and continued to the farthest corners of the junkyard.

After about a minute or so, Warden turned the siren function off. A silence had fallen over the crowd, almost as if they were under a spell. Warden then brought the detachable microphone to his mouth.

“For everyone that has the balls to fight tonight,” Warden gazed down at the crowd, “prepare to lose them. Tonight you all will be competing for the title of leader of the bullies. It won’t be easy. Look to the people around you. They are your enemies. None of them will be standing by the end of tonight.” Warden paced back and forth. “Remember that the Rumbler is for only the toughest and strongest. We don’t accept the weak, fags, pussies, or runts. We do this because those before us did it and now we shall follow.” Warden cleared his throat. “Now I expect a good fight this year. There are no rules here, anything goes. You will only win if you are the strongest, meanest fucker out there. Who wants the title?”

A roar of cheer came from the bullies below. As if on command they all shot their fists up into the air. It resembled a salute of some sort like they were hailing Warden.

“Who wants the power?” Warden screeched, pacing back and forth. There was another loud outcry and another fist raising. The energy in the place was electrifying now. Warden stopped pacing and looked straight into the crowd. “Fucking kill each other,” he said and the fighting started immediately.

The scene that unfolded was that out of a war movie. The center of the junkyard erupted into conflict. This was where the bullies that were fighting for the leadership concentrated. They punched, kicked, and shoved one another in a fight of the ages. The rest of the junkyard was spectators surrounding the brawl pit, cheering the fight on from the sidelines. The volume was now overpowering and could be heard throughout the surrounding area. Lights in houses turned on and dogs barked at the uproar of violence that came from the junkyard.

Warden took the image in, breathing deeply and relaxing in his throne. He tossed the microphone to the side and stretched, putting his hands behind his head. “This is the life,” Warden breathed.

Sunset paid little attention to the fighting, either out of fear of watching or disinterest. Instead she again leaned over to Warden. “Warden, you told me yesterday that you’d tell me about bullying. I expect an explanation. And if you don’t I’ll throw you off this junk pile.” Warden shot Sunset a looked and held up his index finger.

“Alright , bitch, have it your way,” he muttered. “But first,” his eyes darted to Badger. He stood on the edge of the pile. “Badger,” Warden spoke but Badger didn’t respond. “Badger!” Warden barked forcibly but still no response.

Now it was Sunset’s turn. “Badger!” she said sternly and began to snap her fingers in front of Badger’s face. The bully finally reacted to that, jumping a bit and then stumbling like a disoriented drunk. “We were trying to talk to you,” Sunset reprimanded.

“Sorry,” Badger exclaimed. “It’s just, I, uh, there’s, ah,” Badger finally resorted to pointing. He pointed into the Rumbler, right into the heart of the fighting.

Warden was smiling. “Ah, you can see it too,” he stood up from his throne. “The glorious demonstration of power.” Warden clenched a fist out in front of him. “I remember my first Rumbler. The roars, cheers, and screams. All the pain and fear, yet the triumph and energy. Granted it was a much more turbulent period of history in my bay, but even today it keeps to that raw energy.” Warden looked at Badger and then stood to his side. They both loomed over the carnage below, like they were two predators ready to pounce or two ghastly apparitions.

Warden tapped Badger on his back. “Hey, go down there,” he nodded towards the chaos.

Badger instantly flinched at the notion. “Wha-what?” he breathed.

“I said get down there,” Warden gave Badger a light shove. “Remember when I said I expected your participation? Well here it is. Get down there.”

Badger stood on the edge and just stared. He shook in fear at the carnage below. Eventually, he turned to Warden, teeth chatting as he did so.

“I-I c-c-can’t go down t-there,” Badger stammered and shook.

Warden frowned. “Are you kidding me?” he balled his hands into fists. “You’re going to compete next year, right?” Badger nodded his head. “Then you ought to get used to it now,” Warden grabbed Badger’s sleeve. “Come on,” he began to pull Badger’s hoodie off, “let’s get this off you.”

Badger resisted, push his arms down to his side. “What are you doing?” he protested.

“You’re fighting tonight,” Warden stated. “I don’t give a fuck what you say.”

“So what does getting me naked have to with fighting?” Badger whined as Warden continued to try and remove the hoodie.

“I’ll show you,” Warden said through gritted teeth. He pushed Badger to the ground and the two wrestled with Warden pinned on top.

Sunset Shimmer watched on with half interest. She wanted to talk with Warden for her own purposed but this conflict with Badger interested her. She wanted to see how this would play out so for the moment she kept her silence.

After a bit of struggling, Warden did manage to rip Badger’s hoodie off. With the hoodie came Badger’s shirt, leaving his upper half exposed.

“There,” Warden said, dusting his hands off. He stood up and Badger too scrambled to his feet. “Now you’re battle ready.”

Badger awkwardly tried to cover himself with his arms. “What are you talking about?”

“You’re harder to grab now,” Warden said tugging at his own hoodie. “If you wore that hoodie then someone could easily have dragged you around.” Warden picked up Badger’s hoodie and folded it. “Most people down there will be bigger and stronger than you. Just make sure nobody grabs you and you’ll be fine. Focus on using your fists.”

Badger looked quickly back to the Rumbler. “I can’t,” he said again. “There’s no point. I’ll lose.”

“So?” Warden shrugged. “Most people down there will lose too. What’s the big deal?”

“Well,” Badger looked away, “it really doesn’t matter what happens. A freshman doesn’t have the right to be down there. Even if we win we lose.” Shame was prevalent in his voice, like he was disgusted with himself.

“Look kid,” Warden put his hand on Badger’s shoulder. “You wanna know who made that rule?” Warden smirked. “The upperclassmen. They eliminated an entire grade so they could have a better chance at winning this. That way there are less opponents. Clever yet deceitful.” Warden let Badger go and pushed him closer to the edge of the junk pile. “Now go show the upperclassmen what you think of their rule.”

“But aren’t you an upperclassman?” Badger asked.

“Yeah,” Warden replied, shrugging. “What you’re basically doing is telling me to go fuck myself.”

“Go fuck yourself?” Badger questioned.

Warden glared with rage. “Did you just say I should go fuck myself?”

Badger jumped. “N-no, I was just saying”

“Get the fuck out of here before I murder you,” Warden threatened.

Badger looked over the edge. It was a steep way down, he would have to be careful not to slip and fall. However, he was hesitant on making the first step. Just before he finally found the courage to make the first step, Warden felt he was taking too long. With a sharp kick the senior bully sent the freshman bully tumbling down the pile.

Badger tumbled and spiraled down, closing in on the center of the Rumbler. After hitting his back against the hood of a wrecked car, he was sent up into the air and fortunately landed on his feet on the way down. Badger found himself just at the edge of the Rumbler, on a mound of junk overlooking the fight. Right below him there was immense fighting going on. Bullies were getting thrown and punched everywhere. Nobody was without injury and the bodies of the bullies out of the fight were cast aside or laid where they fell.

Badger quickly steeled himself. He realized that this was it, his time to shine. The thought of winning perished from his mind, he wanted to fight. No, not fight. Prove himself. There was so much to prove and people he had to prove to. He had to prove he was a man, a true bully. Additionally, he had to prove himself to the other bullies. Most importantly, he had to prove himself to Sunset Shimmer. She would be so proud of him.

With a leap, Badger descended into chaos.

Warden, who was watching Badger the whole time, chuckled, and dusted his hands off. He turned back around, grinning to himself. Seemingly satisfied he sat himself back on his throne and resumed a leisurely position. Slowly, he turned his head until he stared at Sunset Shimmer who had been patiently waiting for this moment.

“So,” Warden said, looking at Sunset, “let’s deal with you.”

“Yes,” Sunset crossed her arms, “lets.”