• Published 6th Mar 2015
  • 12,316 Views, 64 Comments

Celestia's Twilight - Foals Errand



Five hundred years ago Celestia's neice was born. Since then Celestia has sought out proper foster parents for the unique foal. All of that has now changed. Celestia and Twilight are on their own.

  • ...
7
 64
 12,316

Twilight's first word

It was a rare opportunity when Celestia was able to spend any significant time with her niece. Usually the foal was in the care of a trusted adoptive family. Celestia gazed into the crib where the purple unicorn foal fitfully slept. She ran a gentle hoof through her short mane. What luck, just as the ponies of Equestria have decided they no longer need a princess to guide them, Twilight’s adoptive parents were unable to care for her. In all honesty, Celestia had been legally exiled from Equestria.

Celestia glanced at her back with a soft sigh, still not used to seeing a bare back. Princess Celestia may have been exiled, but the unicorn mare, Breaking Dawn, and her infant daughter, Twilight were quite welcome in their Canterlot... well, former Canterlot apartment.

Celestia sat on her haunches beside the crib as she read over her manuscript again, checking it for errors. She was starting her new job in the morning, assuming that herd of unicorns was actually able to raise the sun.

“You know, Twilight, this vacation is kind of nice. Granted, I did not enjoy being dragged before a judge and labeled as a tyrant, mind you, but being here and having you…” Celestia took a deep breath. “Your mommy will return to us, Twilight. I’m certain of it, it’s just a matter of our patience. However, until then, we have each other.” Celestia turned to look at the crib to see two big purple eyes staring at her.

Celestia beamed, “Well hello there, Twilight! Just like your mommy, I see; more at ease during the night, not that I find that surprising.” She wrapped Twilight in her golden aura, lifting her out of her crib and settling her into her forelegs. “I bet you’d like a nice bottle of milk, hmm?” Twilight fussed the smallest bit at the mention of a bottle and Celestia nuzzled her while grabbing a pre-made bottle from the fridge. She tapped into the power of the sun for a split second to warm the milk.

She waited, her ears twitching. If they had sensed the touch she’d be arrested on the spot. She had to be very careful. After a full minute she released the breath she didn’t notice she was holding.

Twilight wasn’t sure what was taking her baba so long to reach her mouth. She let out a small cry, reminding the white mare holding her who was in charge. Baba, now, mine. She glimpsed a look of fear in the mare’s eyes, but it vanished quickly. A smile had quickly replaced the frightened look. Twilight began suckling the nipple that was put to her lips. Mmm, that was better.

Celestia barely held back a laugh. “My you are an impatient little thing, aren’t you, Princess Twilight?” She kissed the foal right under her horn. “We have to be careful right now, Twilight. This… takeover, it will fail soon. Until then, you and I must have the patience only a pony who does not fear death can achieve.” Celestia watched her niece gulp down the bottle’s contents before lifting her to her shoulder and patting her back. The foal let out a large belch and Celestia laughed, unable to hold it back.

“You always make me happy, Twilight, just like your mommy did…” Celestia trailed off, setting the foal on the floor to crawl around. Celestia turned to the television that was built into the wall. It had come with the apartment, not that that was unusual; technology like that was springing up all over Equestria. Celestia glanced towards the laptop that was in sleep mode on her desk. She had to admit, it was all very addicting. She picked up the remote from where it sat on the small table and aimed it, turning on the television. She flipped through the channels, searching for a news program that might be on so late at night. She knew it was unlikely, but there was always…

Ah, there's one.

“In our final story for the night, we go to correspondent Starfield for the results of the first election primary. Starfield?” A mare with a dark blue coat appeared smiling at the camera. “Thanks, Rainy Skies. I’m here in the city formally known as Canterlot as a long day of speeches are wrapping up.” Footage from earlier in the day showed three stallions giving speeches to a packed auditorium. “The unicorn candidate Brass Bell seems to be leading in the polls, but we won’t count out his opponents Blustery Winds, of the pegasi ticket, or Paper Thin, of the earth pony tribe.”

Celestia tuned the rest of the report out as she watched Twilight chew on a block. “It’s happening again, Twilight. The ponies are starting to return to the old ways; every tribe for themselves. One tribe to rule all. I guess it is true, those ponies who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.” She shut off the television. “Wondrous advances in technology or not; this is not the way for ponies to live. They call me a tyrant, yet they mean to allow one stallion to control Equestria. Whether they vote him in or not, a pony of a single race can never rule Equestria, there will be too much discontentment. That’s why Luna and I were chosen to become alicorns.” Celestia smiled at Twilight, who was staring at her while gnawing the squeaky block. “I do appreciate you listening to me ramble.” Celestia lifted Twilight on to her back. “Come on, it’s late enough. Most of the lights should be out by now.”

Celestia trotted outside onto their balcony and took a deep breath of the air. It seemed clear but she could feel the discontent in her bones. It was only a matter of time, and time was something Celestia had plenty of. She lay on her back, settling Twilight onto her barrel.

“See that, Twilight? All of that beauty was designed by your mommy, she’s such a wonderful artist… M-maybe if I had told her that more often she’d be here laying next to us. She’d cheer me up and we’d plan how best to handle the crisis that is coming. She’d tell me not to worry and fuss over her. I’d swat at her and remind her I was the older sister and she’d laugh.” Celestia didn’t realize she’d started crying until she felt the softness of Twilight’s tiny tongue on her cheek. “Mo-Mommy,” Twilight babbled out.

Celestia felt her heart break. No, T-Twilight isn’t calling me Mommy, is she? No, no, no, no! I’m so sorry Luna, I’ve tried so hard to tell her all about you! I don’t deserve to be called Mommy! You deserve that honor, and only you!

“No-” Celestia stopped as she looked towards the direction Twilight was looking. She was staring into the night sky, looking at the moon which hung low. The outline of Luna’s profile was unobscured. Twilight lifted her forelegs towards the moon as if to be picked up. “Mommy!”

Celestia felt a tear run down her cheek as she began to smile. “Yes Twilight, that’s right.”

Someday Twilight’s mommy would be able to pick her up and cuddle her in her forehooves, but for now Celestia was honored to do the job for her. “And Mommy loves you so much, Twilight.” Celestia encouraged the foal to lay down, and together they lay under Luna’s masterpiece. Several minutes later, Celestia felt Twilight’s respirations soften and smiled. She carried her sleeping niece back inside, tucking her back into her crib. She kissed her cheek, then approached her computer.

She had a book to finish.