• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,913 Views, 51 Comments

Sorry, but mom is having a relapse right now. Could you come back later? - Blue Blaze {COMET}



Fluttershy's son deals with many odd things on a daily basis. However, as odd as Ponyville is, nothing is more odd than his mother. But does he have the responsibility to cover for her when she becomes a little "batty"?

  • ...
3
 51
 2,913

Out of the frying pan...

His eyes darted back and forth. The nice mare in front of him kept her smile, and to him it looked really fake and synthetic.

“What do I do, what do I do?” he asked himself. There was a loud crash of more plates behind him, and the two flinched as the ground shook. Berry Batty suddenly appeared confused.

“What was that noise?” she asked, trying to peer past Choir’s head. Choir stood on the tips of his hooves and stretched his neck as high as he could, taking up the entire space of the cracked-open door. He tried to smile.

“Oh, uh, my mom’s trying to deal with an angry bear right now,” There was another crash, followed by the sound of some very expensive and valuable china shattering into tiny pieces. “YES! A very, very angry bear right now. It’s almost angry to the point of being violent–not that it is actually being violent, mind you. Heh. There’s just a simply misunderstanding between the bear and a few of the other animals, you see.”

“That’s sounds bad. Does she need any help? I know your mother knows a lot more about animals than I do, but I’ve written a lot about bears.” Berry Batty offered, still trying to look over Choir’s head. Choir took the moment to notice that Batty’s cutie mark was appropriately a brown bat eating a properly ripe banana.

“I know that she specializes in bats, but I’m not sure if she could help with bat-like ponies!” he told himself just before something else fell in the house. “Oh, no, my mom’s perfectly got it under control. She doesn’t need any help. Nope. Not at all.”

A loud resounding bang shook the foundations of the cottage, and both ponies were thoroughly surprised when the ground shook so fiercely they bounced up and down like an earthquake was occurring. Choir nervously looked behind over his back to see what happened, trying to make his movement as subtle and slow as possible.

“Are you sure?” Batty asked.

Choir chuckled nervously to himself. “I’m pretty sure she’s got it all on her own, but Ibettercheckrealquicksorrycomebacklaterthanks!”

And with that, Choir slammed the door on Berry Batty’s face.

Back in the house, Choir quickly rushed across the living room into the kitchen. His jaw dropped.

The kitchen was in even worse wear than before. The doors of some of the cupboards were in pieces on the floor, and others were barely hanging by the end of their hinges. There were cracks up along the inner wall, as well as several indented hoofprints and smears of condiments on the plaster, applied like a foal’s hoofpainting. There was a tiny flood running on the floor of the kitchen into one of the mouse holes, and Choir could barely imagine all the property damage it would cause to the poor residents that lived inside the insides of the house. There would be Tartarus to pay for certain, and Fluttershy probably wouldn’t hear the end of it from the tiny critters that live in her home. The refrigerator was firmly lying on its front, having gotten tipped over from some kind of strong force. The door was thankfully closed and the plug was ripped from its socket, but Choir didn’t even want to imagine what the insides of the container looked like.

But worst of all, his mother was missing.

The window was wide open too, and with it a warm spring breeze flew into the chaos-lain kitchen, almost making it seem alright despite the state it was in. The sound of trickling water into the overfilled, plugged sink was soothing in a way, and for a brief moment Choir let his head empty and his conscious-self hid in the deepest, darkest box he could find in his brain.

His mental escape was interrupted however with rapid, heavy knocks on the front door.

“What is it now?” he fumed, making his way to the entrance.

He opened it a little more forcefully than normal, and he screwed up his muzzle into a dishonest smile.

“Hello?” Choir tried to chirp cheerfully, his right ear twitching.

“Dude!” the unicorn exclaimed on the other side. His coat was a bright shade of orange, and his long, very dark mane was scattered everywhere in points. Choir thought it looked like roadkill without all of the bodily fluids. His mother would definitely not approve of his vision. The new pony's tail was somehow longer than his mane and was messier than a long mop head, the tip of the hair dragging against the ground unceremoniously. His lavender eyes at first glance were fairly flat with little brain activity occurring beneath them. He was taken aback by Choir’s expression. “What’s up? Why you look so pissed? And who was that lady that was just at your door?”

“Oh! Meteos! Thank Celestia you’re here!” Choir exclaimed, falling to a heap in front of Meteos. “I need your help!”

“Why? What happened?” Meteos asked, looking past Choir’s head. He could barely make out the kitchen in the back. “Whoa. It looks like a hurricane went through your kitchen.”

"Thanks. I've noticed." Choir deadpanned. He suddenly grabbed onto Meteos' sides. "Listen. My mom is having a bit of an episode and now the whole house is in a mess. She left in a hurry and now I've gotta try and find her before something bad happens!"

Meteos whistled. "Sounds dicey. But why would anything bad happen?"

Choir turned to the side sheepishly. "Uhh, let's just say that my mom is definitely on one of her bad days."

Meteos raised an eyebrow. "Estrus?"

"Eww! Dude! Come on! No!" Choir yelled, reeling back and waving his hooves in a pushing away motion.

"Heh." Meteos said, crossing his forelegs. "I dunno..."

"Come on. Please? I need somepony to back me up. It's gonna be Tartarus trying to find her by myself and my dad isn't here to help me because he's off at work!"

"Alright. On one condition though." Meteos stated with a serious face.

"Fine! Fine! Anything!"

A large, wide, hardcover textbook reading "Equestrian History: VII Edition" on the front floated in front of Meteos in a light blue aura, Meteos with a big grin on his face.

"Seriously? Are you kidding me? I'm not any better at History than you are, you know."

Meteos pouted. "I know, but I really need somepony to help with the homework!"

"Yeah, whatever." Choir said, rolling his eyes as he entered the house and motion for Meteos to follow. "Is this the real reason why you came to my house?"

"Noooo. Not at all. What makes you think that?"

Meteos dropped his saddlebags right near the front door next to Choir’s. Choir sighed.

The Pegasus pony entered the kitchen once again with friend in tow. Meteos stopped at the very edge of the doorway, looking down at the slightly discoloured water with a disgusted face. Choir got up in the air and flew over the wet to above the sink, turning off the tap.

“First thing’s first, we have to clean this place up a bit.” Choir said before sticking his hoof in the filled sink and unclogging the large amount of wet dry pet food that was stopping the drain. The sound of flushing rang through the room as Choir grimaced and ran his hoof under the tap.

“Why? Why don’t we beeline for your mom before she gets too far?”

Choir looked back at Meteos. “Well we can’t just leave the kitchen like this, can we?”

Meteos stared down at the broken particles of plates, bowls and cups floating in the water on the floor, as well as the pots and pans that made little islands in the ocean. “I guess you have a point.”

“Help me drain the kitchen, will 'ya?” Choir asked, flying over the lake to a utility closet, grabbing a mop from inside.

Meteos channeled his magic and a spout of water surrounded in a blue glow traveled up from the ground to the inside of the sink. Choir got a garbage bag from the inside of the closet and Meteos grabbed it, filtering bits and pieces of glass that was in the water into the trash. As the water thinned, Choir landed and started mopping the floor, trying to clean what was left of the ketchup and flour.

Soon enough, the kitchen was looking almost back to normal. It didn’t look as nearly as clean as it used to, but the two found it to be “good enough”. The utensils were taken out of the wall and put in the sink to be cleaned later, along with the pots and pans. The fridge was tilted back upright and its plug plugged back into its socket. The floor was relatively clean and the wood that used to be the doors to most of the cupboards were all piled in the corner besides a very large and filled garbage bag.

“What are we gonna do with those?” Meteos asked, pointing to the broken planks of wood.

“We’re gonna leave them there. I’ll put them in a fresh bag once I get my mom sorted out.”

Something from the corner of Choir’s eye caught his attention. He looked out of the open window, spotting several different coloured bird swoop low near Fluttershy’s house, taking perch on the edges of the trees that sat at the border of the Everfree Forest.

“Uh oh.” Choir stated. “I think all the animals are finally coming out now. I might need to calm them down and explain everything before we go.”

Meteos opened his mouth to respond, but Choir was already flying out of the open window to outside. Shaking his head with a small smirk on his face, Meteos went to find the back door.

Outside, Choir landed on a patch of grass. He watched as some of the local critters began peeking out of their homes from underneath the ground and the holes in the trees, searching nervously for the vampony that terrorized them earlier. The chickens, not knowing any better, exited their coop and returned to clucking about their grounds as usual. A few of the birds on the trees flew to the top of Fluttershy’s house, some gliding into the building through the open window and some perching on the birdhouses built around the compound.

“Everyone, everyone gather ‘round!” Choir called, sitting on his flank and waving at the various animals to approach him. The wildlife heeded his summon and came rushing out of their homes, the fright of the flying fanged monster from before completely forgotten. Quickly there was a large ring of critters (as well as a bear) surrounding the young stallion.

“Is everyone ok? Did anyone get hurt or harmed?” Choir asked the group. His question was answered colloquially with headshakes. The backdoor to the cottage finally opened to a mildly surprised Meteos. He took a step outside and sat down, watching the strange occurrence of animals from a distance as the door swung shut behind him.

Choir swept his vision around the group. “Ok, that’s good. I’m going to leave for a while. My mom flew off somewhere and I have to get her before she causes any trouble.”

This got a reaction out of the circle, as all the critters began muttering and peeping to each other quietly in conversation.

“Does everyone have enough food until the evening? Do I need to refill anyone’s food?”

The animals shook their heads.

“Good. I’ll hopefully be back with my mom before sundown. If I’m not, don’t worry about me. I’m not coming back home empty handed, and without curing my mom first.”

Some parts of his audience cheered for him. Suddenly the rows to his right side parted to a few dozen particularly cross mice, moles and badgers, soaked to the bone and still dripping with water. A large mouse, who was directly in the front and center of the group, started squeaking loudly at Choir, pointing at the ground, then to Choir, then to the house, all the while sounding very agitated.

“I’m very sorry Mr. Mouse that your apartments got flooded,” Choir began. “But I can’t really help you until I get back with my mom. The longer she stays out there unattended the more danger she will be in along with anything or anypony that comes across her.”

There were a few more angry noises from the mouse. The other mice around him nodded in agreement.

“You can find refuge with the rest of the animals outside. I’m sure they’ll all welcome you to their homes for a day while I fix things.” Choir said, gesturing to the other critters around the circle, who watched the conversation silently.

The big mouse’s rebuttal was less than pleasant.

“Hey! I’m doing the best I can! You’re just going to have to be a bit more patient until I can get my mom back to normal.”

Mr. Mouse shouted at Choir, shaking his fist at him.

“My Celestia, Mr. Mouse!” Choir exclaimed, appalled. “Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?”

Suddenly something bounded up in the corner of Choir’s vision, its vertical making an audible “Boing!” He turned to his left and looked down. There was a tiny white bunny rabbit waving at him with a wide smile, its tiny black eyes glistening with joy.

“Aqui!” Choir exclaimed with a big fat smile on his stupid face. He hopped out of sitting and Aqui jumped comfortably onto his back. “How are you? How was your day?”

Aqui smiled at him brightly.

“What’s up, buttercup?” Meteos said, approaching from behind Choir as the animals made way for him. He held a hoof at neck level and Aqui sprung up to pound it. “Yeah!”

Choir peered at Aqui. “You wanna help us find my mom?”

She nodded excitedly.

Then, there was a duo of rabbits that somehow made their way through the waves of animals to the front of the circus. They squeezed through the front row with a bit of effort before stumbling forward and coming to a stop inches away from Choir’s hooves. One of them was a shy-looking bunny with a red bow tied around one of her ears and the other looked positively furious. They held paws together and the grumpy one was a good inch taller than the other. He squabbled loudly at Choir for a moment before turning to Aqui, who could only look on with a bashful look on her face.

“Don’t worry Mr. Angel, we’ll take good care of your daughter. I promise.” said Choir.

Angel folded his forelegs and harrumphed.

“I think that’s it. Are you ready to go?” Choir said, looking back at Meteos.

“I’m ready as the early bird gets the worm!” Meteos declared.

Choir narrowed his eyes, digesting Meteos' answer before shaking his head, then took to the sky and flew over the animals, making sure his back stayed steady for the passenger that sat firmly on it. He began to fly slowly around the house towards the front lawn, Meteos following not too far behind.

“Goodbye everyone!” he called as he flew backwards, waving at the critters as they waved back at him. “Stay safe!”

Mr. Mouse ran to the front of the group and glared at Choir. Choir laughed tentatively.

“I’ll help you fix your and your mice’s houses once I get back! I promise!”

After the three got to the front of the cottage, Choir landed and made sure that the front door was closed. He tapped his chin, trying to remember if he was forgetting anything. Then, he looked at the bridge that led over the small stream of water near his house. The sun in the largely cloudless sky was already well past noon.

“We better get going.” Choir stated. Aqui and Meteos nodded behind him as he led the front of the expedition.

“Where do you think Fluttershy went?” Meteos asked.

Choir couldn’t help but smile knowingly. “I think I have an idea.”

“I just hope I find my mom in one piece.” Choir Wings prayed to himself as he crossed the bridge and started down the road towards Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Aqui's name is based of the name of the creatures you control in the dice-based action puzzle video game, Xi, known to America as Devil Dice.

Devil? Angel? Get it?

...

...I'll just show myself out.