• Published 5th Mar 2015
  • 5,605 Views, 173 Comments

"Tomboys Don't Fall in Love!" - Luvbuttonmash

  • ...
11
 173
 5,605

Chapter 1

"Okay guys! We got two days until the next game. We want to win this thing! Then we'll make it to the championship!" Rainbow said. Spitfire, Fleetfoot, Soarin, and Thunderlane were all on the soccer field, getting ready for practice.

"All right, team! Let's get started!" Rainbow said, and she blew the whistle. Fleetfoot and Thunderlane placed the orange cones in a single file line, and Rainbow put the ball in front of the first cone.

"We've gotta work on our directions. If we don't, we might as well give the ball to the other team! And we don't wanna lose to the griffons!" She yelled. Everyone grunted at the mention of the Griffons' name. They were the school's arch enemy. Everyone who went to Cloudsdale Academy were deeply hated by Canterlot High, and vice versa.

"Thunderlane! You're up!" Rainbow blew the whistle and started the timer around her neck as Thunderlane swerved left and right with cones. Careful not to trip, he made it to the end of the line.

Rainbow stopped the timer."13.4 seconds. Not bad. If you were in a middle school team! Come on, guys. We gotta go faster so they won't even see us pass by. Fleetfoot! You're next."

After about five minutes of swerving and slight tripping, the team started on the field, practicing kicking the ball to each other and Spitfire trying to catch it as a goalie.

"Good work, guys! Keep this up and we just might win!" Rainbow said, wiping sweat from her forehead. She walked towards the bench and sat down, grabbing her water and drinking half of it up. It was their five minute break.

"Ya know captain, I thought you were pretty good out there," Soarin said, sitting his water down beside him.

"C'mon, Soarin. You don't have to call me captain. What ever happened to Dashie?" Rainbow said, turning her head towards Soarin.

"What? I thought you liked being called "captain." You said it gave you power," Soarin said, softly chuckling.

"But you're my friend. I'm cool with you calling me by name. Call me whatever you want. That's appropiate, of course," Rainbow said, punching Soarin's arm softly.

"You sound like one of those uncool teachers who try to be friends with their students. Gross," Soarin said, making a face at Rainbow.

"Shut up, soldier," Rainbow said.

"Yes, sir!" Soarin said, saluting to Rainbow. They both laughed, and then the timer on Rainbow's neck buzzed off.

"Break time's over, losers! Time to get back to practice!" Rainbow yelled. Everyone groaned and got off the benches.

"Let's get back to business!" Rainbow said, and they started to practice once again.


"Ugh. Today was exhausting. I don't know if we'll be ready next game," Rainbow said, crossing her arms. The gang was at Sugar Cube Corner, getting smoothies and shakes.

"Welp, at least ya don't have to pick apples for a livin'," Applejack said, drinking her melting smoothie.

"Well, I had to design dresses for the Richington family. And you know how strict they are. 'They must have an elegant flare at the trim.' 'The top part must be covered completely with gems.' Do you know how hard it is to find gems in the city?" Rarity said. Everyone looked at her.

"No, I'm seriously asking. I already know where to look. I was just wondering," Rarity said.

"Well, it was very busy at the shop today. A lot of people came in to adopt cats, fishes, dogs, and hamsters. It was very depressing to see then go, but I know for sure that they're going to a nice and safe home," Fluttershy said, smiling.

"Wow Fluttershy! That's almost as exciting as the day I had! Miss Cheerilee said that I could help the special kids out in the library to day! It was awesome!" Pinkie said, squealing.

"Um, what exactly did you do?" Rainbow asked.

Pinkie drank her milkshake until it was empty."Well, we painted pictures of ourselves, told stories about visits to the hospital, Oh! And a kid had to be sent to the doctor because he passed out after eating a piece of a pencil," Pinkie said, smiling.

"At least nothing extreme happened," Rarity said.

"Nope! Miss Cheerilee was keeping a close eye on me so I wouldn't mess up anything or get one of the kids sent to the ER! It was as if she didn't trust me around them for some reason. Oh well," Pinkie said, throwing her empty cup in the trash.

"Thank goodness she did!" Rarity said.

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?!" Pinkie asked her, slightly offended.

"Oh! I didn't mean to offend you, darling, I just meant that-"

"You get crazy in the head. A LOT," Rainbow said, drinking her strawberry-banana smoothie.

"I'm not THAT crazy," Pinkie said, crossing her arms.

"Do you really want to go down memory lane, Pinkie?" Rainbow said.

"Alright. Shoot," Pinkie said.

"Fifth grade. Tacky Day. Paint," Applejack said.

"You promised to never bring that up again!" Pinkie whispered loudly,"It's supposed to be a secret!"

"How could anyone NOT keep it a secret?!" Rainbow asked.

"You weren't there that day, remember? She made everyone Pinkie Pie promise to not tell anyone about. It was the fifth grade secret," Fluttershy said.

"But Sassaflash told me about it the next day," Rainbow said.

"She will rue that day!" Pinkie yelled. Everyone in the cafe looked at her.

"Calm down, Pinkie. It's all over," Rarity said.

"Fine," Pinkie said,"I'm just gonna go home then." Pinkie got up from her seat and stormed out of the cafe.

"I can't believe she's still so rattled up about that. It was years ago!" Applejack said, finshing the last of her smoothie.

"I guess some people just can't let go," Rainbow said drinking her smoothie.

"Just like people can't let go of crushes?" Rarity said, directing towards Rainbow.

Rainbow spat her drink out and coughed."Really?"

"Yeah. Now look behind you," Rarity said.

Rainbow turned around to see Soarin right behind her.

"You okay, Dashie?" Soarin asked.

Rainbow smacked her head on her head."Wrong time for the nicknames, Soarin," she whispered to herself.

"Ooh. Pet names already," Rarity said.