• Published 7th Mar 2015
  • 2,972 Views, 93 Comments

Good Night Luna - Scribe Scribbles



It takes place thirteen years in the future. I find Luna and raise her for some odd amount of years.

  • ...
28
 93
 2,972

chapter 14: Flight

At first Luna didn’t seem that interested in flying, but after placing her on a branch.

“Dad. This isn’t funny!” Luna looked nervously at the ground.

“It’s only seven feet. And come on, just use those wings of yours.”

“Uuh…” Luna looked back at the ground. “OK.” And with that, Luna jumped off the branch. She flapped her wings frantically and un-synchronized. “DADDY!” Luna yelled as she fell. I reached out my arms and caught her. Luna was hyperventilating.

“See, that wasn’t so hard now was it?” She shot an angry look at me. I put her back on the branch. “Now. Let’s try that again.” Luna jumped off the branch again. She did the same routine. I caught her again and told her everything that she was doing wrong.

We were there for most of the afternoon. Luna fell down a lot. I was able to catch her a few times and she caught herself sometimes. The ground was relatively soft so I didn’t worry too much. By the time the sun had almost completely set Luna was battered and bruised. We were just about to leave when Luna actually got herself to fly. She was only able to fly a few inches of the ground, but even then she was beaming with so much joy.

“I DID IT! I DID IT!” Luna shouted bounding up and down. I gave her a hug and then headed off towards the jeep. We walked slowly because Luna kept flying every five steps, but I was in no rush. By the time we got to the jeep, Luna could now fly a few feet. One the way home Luna stared out the window. I looked at the smile on her face and I smiled too. Seeing Luna happy always made me happy no matter what.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of hooves clopping on the floor. I sat up and saw Luna jumping off the desk in the corner. She had a routine: jump on the chair to the desk, jump off the desk and try to fly for as long as possible, hit the floor with a clop, repeat. She jumped off the desk again and flew about five feet before she was roughly an inch off the ground and then clopped her hooves on the floor.

“Luna.” I grunted. “Stop that.”

“OK Dad.” Luna jumped onto the bed and came inches in front of my face.

“What?”

“Can we go out again?” Luna was impatient.

“Later. Now, we eat.” I got up and went down to the kitchen and pored a bowl of cereal. Luna pored herself a bowl and ate with me. Luna got done with her bowl fast and waited impatiently for me to finish.

We got in the jeep and drove off. Luna sat in the passenger seat happily bobbing up and down. I drove Luna around for a while. I finally stopped at a cliff overlooking a beach. I had Luna hide in the back so no one would see her. I drove down the side of a cliff on a steep road.

“Where are we?” Luna asked from the back.

“Waipi’o beach.” I replied.

“Why are we here?” Luna looked at me from in between the seats.

“It’s a nice place.” We got to the bottom and I took a right. I parked in the parking area and grabbed a back pack from the back of the jeep. Luna was a big pony by now, but still small enough to fit into a back pack.

“Do I have to?” Luna moaned looking at it.

“Yes.” Luna grudgingly got into the back pack. “Don’t worry, you won’t be in there the whole time.” I zipped the back pack shut except for a little bit so Luna could still see some of what’s around.

The beach was maybe two-thirds of a mile long, if not, three-fourths. There was a stream the separated the beach down the middle. To the right of the stream was the first half of the beach that went right up against the cliff-side. To the left of the stream as the other half of the beach that was split in half. The first half of the left side was a sandy beach, the rest of it was rocks.

I walked across the stream and onto a trail. The beach went from sand to over grown plants almost immediately. There was a trial that ran through the plants. It started near the stream and went all the way to other end of the beach. I unzipped the backpack so Luna could look around. I didn’t worry about any one seeing her because the tourist didn’t know about the trail and the locals were all working on Tuesdays.

After a few minutes of walking we came across a sandy spot where someone would have a beach barbecue. After another minute of walking we came up to the beginning of a hiking trail that zig-zagged up the side of a steep mountain. I started walking up the trail while Luna flew next to me. When we came to the first bend in the trail I had Luna walk next to me so no one on the beach would see her.

The people say that the second bend in the trail gives you a great view. It was true, because the second bend in the trail came right before you would walk off the cliffs edge. I picked up Luna and held her in my arms when we started to reach the second bend.

“Dad. You don’t have to hold me. I can fly just fine.” Luna said a bit annoyed.

“It’s not the flying part I’m worried about. It’s the falling into the ocean, getting swept out to sea and drowning.” The beach had this currant the started at the far end of the beach where the rocks were. It went across the beach and then sucked back out at the other cliff. That was why nobody ever swam at the first one-fourth of the beach. If you weren’t careful, you would get sucked out into the ocean like I almost did when I first came to Hawaii.

We stayed there for a little bit and then turned around to head back down the mountain. We got back in the jeep and headed back up the other mountain. I took Luna to some places on the island that I always liked. We went in for lunch at Kioki’s and went sightseeing some more. When dinner time came around I went to a nice little local place and ordered some food to-go. Every time I went somewhere to eat, I always remember hearing my mom say ‘Never eat dinner in the tourist trap!’ That’s what we called all those places near the shoreline where all the tourists stayed and ate. By the time dinner rolled around the servers there were tired and annoyed.

After finishing our dinner in the car I drove Luna home to sleep. Luna put on her, as I like to call them, headphone crown. In just half an hour Luna was already fast asleep. I parked the car in the garage and carried Luna to bed. Luna never asked if she could have her own room like Dashie did. I liked that because A: I still had living family that visited, and B: I liked having someone, or some pony to keep me company in my sleep. It was nice.

“Goodnight, dad.” Luna said mostly asleep.

“Good Night Luna.” I said as I began to fall asleep. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”