• Published 7th Mar 2015
  • 2,972 Views, 93 Comments

Good Night Luna - Scribe Scribbles



It takes place thirteen years in the future. I find Luna and raise her for some odd amount of years.

  • ...
28
 93
 2,972

chapter 13: Nothing Lasts

Luna and me finally got everything unloaded. All the books were on the shelves. The furniture was in place. The kitchen had everything. We got all of Luna's new music equipment set up. I was in my room hanging up the last picture. Luna was outside feeding the ducks Moon and Sunny. I walked down and began to make a list of other things that we would need.

Luna came back in with the happiest smile on her face. She loved those ducks. Every morning and every afternoon Luna would go out to feed them and play with them for a bit. Luna went into the basement to play the Xbox. She was very good at it. She had already beat every game I had on every difficulty. I followed soon after finishing the list. Luna was playing COD on Xbox Live. She was very good at it.

The next day I woke up and Luna was outside feeding the ducks. I went down to the kitchen and grabbed the list. I got the car started and Luna hoped in the passenger seat. She buckled up and I headed into town. I went from store to store gathering everything that we needed at home. I went into one store and bought a little metal shell with the word ‘Dream’ carved into it. Luna thought it was a bit cheesy, but she liked it.

I took Luna to see the all of the island that I could show her. I took Luna to the southernmost tip of the U.S. I showed her the petroglyphs that were carved in the volcanic rock. I didn’t get to show her any beaches. When lunchtime came I took Luna to my favorite place to eat. I parked in front of Kioki’s and went in. I went up to the counter and got a couple orders of their chips. I was so tempted to order the fish as well, but I didn’t.

We drove around for a while and then headed back home. We brought everything in and set them on the counter. We put everything where they belonged in the fridge or cupboards. After we got everything put away I gather up all the bags and stored them away under the sink. Luna went outside to see the ducks. When Luna opened door she immediately yelled.

“NO!!” Luna ran out the door as fast as she could. “Get away from her! GO!”

“Luna?!” I went over to the door. What I saw was small group of weasels running into the dens plant life that surround the property.

“Moon!” Luna sat down next to the bleeding duck. The duck was jolting around in near death. Luna rapped her hooves around the bleeding Moon getting the entire front half of her body and face covered in blood. I walked over and stood behind Luna looking at the dying duck in her arms. I knew what had to be down. I got down on my knees next to Luna.

“Luna…” I said getting her look up. Her face was covered in a deep red mixed with tears. “You’re not going to like this but…” I choked up.

“What?” Luna said, her tears mixing in with the blood.

“We… we gotta… put her out of her misery.” My eyes teared up as well.

“KILL HER!?! WHA-NO!!” Luna shrieked. She squeezed the duck tighter.

“It’s the right to do.” I moved a few of her bangs out from in front her face.

“YOU CAN’T JUST KILL HER!!” Luna looked away and pressed her snout in the ducks stained feathers.

“We can’t let her suffer any more than she already has.” Luna lifted her head and looked at the duck. Her horn illuminated with a faint blue glow and so did the duck. Luna closed her eyes and tried as hard as could to try and heal the duck. It wasn't working and Moon wasn't looking any better. “Luna.”

“NO!” Luna protested.

“Luna you can’t hold on to everything forever. Life doesn't work that way. You just have to learn to move on and accept it.” Luna paused for a moment then loosened her grip on Moon. I picked up Luna and held her in my arms. She pressed her face against my shirt. I set Luna down and held Moons head. There was a soft crack and Luna quickly looked the other way. I rested Moons head on the ground. I picked up Luna and carried her to the house.

“We’re not going to bury her?”

“We can’t, the grounds to hard. It’s not meant for burials.” I closed the door behind me. I went into the bathroom and pored some warm water in the tub. I washed the blood out of her coat and mane. Luna continued to cry. She didn't any better for next hour. I finally sat down next to her. “Luna, how about we go somewhere.”

“Where?” Luna didn’t look up.

“I’ll take you somewhere nice.” I picked her up and went into the garage. I opened the garage door and drove the car onto the highway. I drove for a few hours trying to find the best spot. After about two more hours I finally found what I was looking for.

“Why are we stopping her?” Luna looked out the window at a field with a few big hills. I got out of the car and carried Luna through very lush emerald green grass. I kept walking until I reached a lone tree about two miles off the main highway. “Why did you bring me here?”

“I’m going to teach you to fly.”

Author's Note:

wrote this after my dog died. hope it's good.