• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 2,059 Views, 39 Comments

The First Hearts and Hooves Day: A Legend of Spike Story - DiabloGuapo



When his mentor becomes deathly ill, Spike, along with Rarity and their daughter, go to visit him. During their visit, the ancient dragon, Aurum, tells them the full story of the first Hearts and Hooves Day.

  • ...
6
 39
 2,059

The Grand Summit

Prince Zephyr stood at the head of the pyre, his elite guard flanking the sides. His gray eyes stared unblinking at the unmoving body on the altar. The deceased stallion’s coat was a sky blue and his mane was a cloudy white. Zephyr, while maintaining his stoic expression, nodded to two torch bearing guards at the other end of the altar. At his command, the two set the pyre ablaze, the flames consuming the body of the late king.

“Why were they cremating the body?” asked Amethyst.

“Hush, darling,” Rarity mildly scolded. “It isn’t polite to interrupt.”

“No, no. It is quite alright,” Aurum reassured them. “How else are we to learn unless we ask questions?”

The Pegasi that had gathered for the funeral of their king stood back as they watched the smoke and ashes rise up to the sky where it was then carried away by the wind. While the prince and the soldiers wore black armor, the mourning civilians wore black robes to show their sorrow for their fallen king. Before the founding of Equestria and even well after then, each of the three tribes of ponies had their own way of tending to their dead. Burying the dead was the Earth Pony way. They believed their bodies were made from the earth and they had to be returned to the earth from which they came. The Unicorns interned their dead in stone vaults carved beneath their mountain homes, the rich placed in their family tombs and the poor were placed in the catacombs. The Pegasi rejected the idea of having their bodies surrendered to the earth. They were the masters of the sky and lived free above the earth dwellers. To them, the only honorable way was to be cremated and have their ashes blown away by the wind, forever being carried by the breeze across the sky.

After the funeral, Prince Zephyr and his escort made their way back inside the cloud fortress as the civilians returned to their homes. A lot weighed upon the prince’s mind as he made his way through the halls, his council of generals and officers flanking him. Each of them were reminding him of the important upcoming events. With the passing of his father, he was next in line for the throne and the coronation was set to take place in one week. However, the annual meeting of the leaders of the three pony tribes took place before then. In fact, the meeting was tomorrow! The untimely death of the king happened a few days before the appointed time of the summit, and the Earth Ponies and Unicorns were gracious enough to postpone it until after the funeral.

The follow morning, Zephyr stood before the mirror in his chambers as his attendants groomed him. He studied his reflection, noting the resemblance between him and his father. They had the same build, strong and athletic. He would had to be in order to command the respect of his subjects. The Pegasi were a race of warriors. Out of the three tribes, they had the strongest and most organized military force. The kings of old only became kings because they led their forces into battle themselves, and each subsequent king had to prove their worthiness to keep their crown. If a king was seen as weak or unfit to rule, they were cast down and another took their place.

“That sounds very chaotic,” commented the Kirin.

“Indeed, I’d imagine there would have been quite the number of coups d’etat,” Rarity added.

“It was not as unstable as you might think,” clarified Aurum. “The Pegasi were militaristic and firmly believed in structure. If a leader was no longer qualified, they were simply removed and the next in line would ascend to that position.”

“You’re right about them being militaristic,” Spike spoke up. “Even though it’s called the E.U.P. Guard, most of them are Pegasi. They even have their own special squadron, the Wonderbolts.”

“I don’t get it,” Amethyst stated. “All of the history books I’ve read only mention them having commanders and generals before the founding of Equestria. They have nothing on their kings.”

“Patience, young one,” Aurum told her. “I will get there in time.”

Prince Zephyr took one last look in the mirror; he was wearing the dark gray armor common amongst the Pegasi soldiers. It had recently been polished and the gold thunderbolt emblem on the front shined like a mirror. His mane and coat colors were the same as his father’s, but inverted. An aid-de-camp approached and placed a princely crown on his head. He had to look impressive. Not only had he to command the respect of his soldiers, but also of the leaders of the other ponies that will be at the summit.

Satisfied with his appearance, Zephyr exited his chambers and marched down the halls towards a balcony that overlooked his kingdom. Awaiting him on the balcony was a squadron of his finest soldiers. They stood at attention and saluted him as he made his way across the balcony. Stopping at the ledge, he looked down at the cloud buildings and houses that laid before him. Beyond them, he could see the edge of the floating city, where the clouds were sparse. Below them would be the ground, the home of the earth dwellers.

Zephyr spread his wings, the guards spreading theirs as well in preparation. Following the prince’s lead, the Pegasi got into position and then took off from the balcony. Flying in formation, the winged ponies flew over the city, other flights of Pegasi officers and nobles joining them, and then swooped downward below the cloud line. The world the Pegasi knew was one of shades of blue and white, and now they had entered one of greens and browns. Before him were the rolling hills and farmlands of the Earth Ponies.

They flew over the trees and rivers as they headed towards the meeting place on the edge of the Earth Pony domain. In the distance, the mountains of the Unicorn lands could be seen. Below him, Zephyr saw a large stone building with a thatched roof with a crowd of Earth Ponies and Unicorns already filing in.

Stone and straw, how very Mud Pony-ish, he thought condescendingly. He had never before gone to a Grand Summit, but he had heard plenty of stories from his father. According to him, the Earth Ponies were filthy, flea ridden peasants that wallowed in dirt and mud and the Unicorns were prim and prissy weaklings and cowards.

Zephyr and his followers landed and entered the building. As the nobles and officials took their seats in the interior balcony, the prince ready himself to make his grand entrance into the conference room. On the other side of the double doors, he could hear the Earth Pony herald announce, “Presenting the Honorable Chancellor, Fertile Soil!”

“Presenting his Royal Highness, Prince Zephyr!” On his herald’s queue, the doors opened and the white coated prince entered the hall. Maintaining a stern scowl, his eyes panned the room. He could see the three tribes seating in their own sections on the balcony, their nations’ flags hanging from the balustrade. Since the Earth Ponies worked in fields all day, they normally didn’t wear clothes, but today, they wore their “finest,” which was no more than simple tunics, vests, and cloaks of earthy colors. Unsurprisingly, the Unicorns wore their fancy robes, frocks, and dresses of blues, reds, and purples along with the gold and jewels they mined from their mountains. The Pegasi either wore their military armor or senatorial togas.

With his subjects in the balcony behind him and his guards at his side, Zephyr took a seat at the table in the middle of the room. He looked over to the Earth Pony Chancellor. She was a middle aged mare with a dirt brown coat and a moss green mane that reminded him of the colors of the earth that the mare lived on. Zephyr despised those shades of the colors; they looked so… dirty. She offered a polite smile and said, “Welcome, Your Highness.”

Out of courtesy, Zephyr gave a slight nod but didn’t say anything in return. The peace between the tribes was strained at best and it would be unwise to cause any unnecessary tension. Resources were scarce and each of the three tribes had something that the other two desperately needed; the Earth Ponies grew the food, the Pegasi provided rain, and the Unicorns moved the sun and moon. It was at this meeting that the pony tribes discussed the terms and conditions of the trade between their nations.

“They also provided the gold and gems from the mountains,” Amethyst added. “It’s because of the Unicorns that the other tribes had their wealth and jewelry. Also, they were the leading providers of technology and magic.”

“How well versed in economics you are,” Aurum complimented. “Yes, after the coming of the Royal Alicorn Sisters, the Unicorns lost their control over the sun and moon, but were still able to contribute to pony society.

“Now, where was I?” the old dragon asked as he paused to gather his thoughts. He smiled and continued. “Ah, yes. The introduction of my beloved Rose.”

“Presenting her Royal Highness, Princess Fiore Rossa,” the Unicorn herald announced. Hearing the name surprised Zephyr, for he expected the Unicorn King to come.

Oh great. Just what I need, to sit and listen to a spoiled, stuck up, whinny...uh...uh… The prince’s sarcastic thoughts came to a stuttering halt when the doors on the opposing side of the room opened and the most beautiful mare he had ever seen walked in. The outside light bathed her in a heavenly glow, and Zephyr’s eyes widened and his mouth hung slightly open as he beheld the beauty. Her smooth coat was like red velvet, her silky hair was like golden strands of sunlight, and her eyes sparkled like two flawless emeralds.

“Welcome, Princess Fiore Rossa,” Fertile Soil pleasantly greeted.

“Thank you, Madam Chancellor. It’s nice to meet you,” the princess politely said in return. She then turned to Zephyr and said, “Hello, Your Highness. My condolences, I’m sorry to hear about your father. ”

“Uh-huh,” Zephyr muttered in a daze, barely recognizing the words she spoke to him.

“How’s your father, by the way? I thought he would be here today,” Fertile Soil questioned.

“I’m afraid he is preoccupied. There have been reports of a dragon sighting within our borders. He and my brother are investing the matter and have asked me to come in their stead and to offer their apologies.”

“No offense taken,” Fertile Soil dismissed. “Right, Prince Zephyr?”

“Uh-huh,” the prince repeated.

“Very well, shall we get started?” Fertile Soiled asked. Fiore Rossa agreed and took her place at the table. As she walked to her place adjacent to Zephyr, he drank in the sight of her body. Her coat was meticulously groomed and her mane was carefully styled. Her waist was slim, and he couldn’t stop staring at her flanks. They had the image of a pinkish-red rose for a cutie mark and were nicely toned. “Prince Zephyr?”

“Huh?” He snapped out of his trance and looked to the Earth Pony leader.

“Your wings.” Zephyr looked to either side of him and saw that his wings were flared out like he was about to take flight. He cleared his throat and folded them firmly against his side. Fiore Rossa’s face was flushed, making her face a deep crimson, and she suppressed a giggle.

The meeting proceeded fairly enough, though Zephyr wouldn’t be able to recall exactly what was said. He would alternate from nodding his head in agreement whenever somepony would say something to him to stealing glances at the Unicorn Princess and her amazing body.

“Well, I do believe that covers everything,” announced Fertile Soil. “Shall we adjourn?”

“Yes, I think so,” Fiore Rossa agreed. With the meeting at an end, the three clans started to exit the building and return to their homes.

As Fertile Soil walked past Zephyr, she smirked and whispered, “Try not to drool next time.”
The young Pegasus glowered at her, but then looked back to see Fiore Rossa walking away. As he watched her leave, he caught a good view of her backside. With each step, her hips would sway side to side and her tail would swing hypnotically behind her. His breathing quickened and pulse increased. He had to have her.

“Well, that was embarrassing,” a gruff voice said from behind him. It was General Tempest, a storm cloud gray stallion and his father’s top ranking commander. “Next time, pay attention. These meetings are important. You have to be careful or those land walkers might try to cheat us out of...Your Highness, where are you going?”

The amorous prince sped after the departing princess, flying past a bunch of Unicorns in pursuit of the mare. The Unicorns huffed and grumbled indignity as they were shoved aside, but Zephyr paid no heed to them. He was a hunter searching for his prey, which he spotted walking down the trail that would lead her back to her kingdom.

“Princess!” he called after her. She and her attendants stopped and turned to face the Pegasus as he landed before her. The royal mages that surrounded her eyed him suspiciously, but she kept a calm demeanor.

“Yes, Prince Zephyr?” she patiently asked.

“Do you have a moment to spare?” he asked.

“Yes,” she answered, her six mages standing protectively at her side, each wearing a robe that was one of the colors of the rainbow.

“Um...That is…” He then cleared his throat and stood up straight like the prince he was, showing that he wasn’t intimidated by the hooded Unicorns. “May I speak to you in private?”

The royal mages looked to their princess and shook their heads in disapproval, but she waved a hoof to them calmingly before answering, “Of course.”

The Unicorns shot burning glares at the prince, but retreated out of earshot of the two royals. Now that they were alone, the prince spoke. “I must confess. You are very beautiful.”

The princess laughed merrily and responded by saying, “You’re too kind. You’re very handsome yourself.”

Hearing her laugh and her returned compliment strengthened his resolve and he continued. “Are you heading back to your kingdom immediately?”

“Yes. It’s a long trek to and from here, and I want to get back by nightfall.”

“Perhaps you could indulge me and spare an hour or two for me.” he suggested. “After such a long walk and a long meeting, I would think a glass of wine would be in order.”

“I really must be getting back to my own kingdom,” she politely declined. “Besides, I usually enjoy a glass as I retire for the day.”

“...And how about some lunch before you leave?” he added, trying to convince her to stay. “The Earth Ponies may supply your castle with decent food, but I wager you never had food fresh from the fields before.”

The Unicorn Princess thought about his words carefully. She knew she had to leave, but his offer was just too tempting. “I suppose a little snack wouldn’t hurt.”

“Excellent,” he cheered as he took one of her front hooves in his and led her back to the conference building. By the doors, Tempest and his guards were waiting for him, looking surprised and confused that their prince was escorting the princess. “Tempest, see if you could round up some food for the lady.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the older stallion said while eyeing the red mare carefully.

Zephyr and Fiore Rossa sat the long table as his Pegasi soldiers and her Unicorn Mages stood guard outside, each side glaring at the other distrustfully. Earth Pony peasants carried trays of apples, grapes, and grain and laid them on the table before the royalty. Fiore Rossa’s horn glowed green and an apple was raised of the platter in her magical aura. As she bit into the apple, she hummed with delight. The prince was right; the fruit tasted better fresh from the garden.

As she ate, delicately chewing her food quietly, the blue maned stallion watched her admiringly. She was stunning even as she ate. His eyes once again traveled up and down her body, however, she didn’t notice.

“Will you marry me?” he suddenly asked, causing her choke on the wine she was sipping.

“...I beg your pardon? I-I think you just said…” She once again blushed from what she thought she heard.

“Will you marry me?” he repeated.

“M-Marry you? Surely, you jest.” She started to laugh, figuring the prince was only kidding. She stopped laughing when she saw the hungry look in his eye. “You’re serious.”

“I’m in love with you. You must be my bride,” he desperately declared. He moved across the table and sat on his haunches at her side, taking one of her front hooves in his. “I can give you anything your heart desires. Our marriage will bring harmony to our nations. I can make you the happiest mare in the world.”

“I-I don’t know what to say…” she stammered from the shock.

“Say yes and I’ll make all of your dreams come true,” he vowed.

As she sat with her hoof in his, she noticed that his eyes were once again moving up and down her body and his wings had flared out again. A hard look came across her sweet face and she narrowed her eyes as she pulled her hoof away. “Are you? Are you really in love with me?”

“Yes, I am!”

“We’ve just met and you love me,” she said incredulously. “What is it that you love about me, hm?”

“You’re the most beautiful mare I have ever seen!”

“Right… Anything else?” she asked doubtfully.

“Yes… well… um… Our marriage will strengthen the relationship between our two nations!” he repeated.

“Perhaps it would, but I have a question for you.” She paused and he eagerly awaited her question. “What’s my name?”

“What?” he asked, taken aback by the simple question. “That’s easy. It’s um...uuummm…”

“‘Um’ is not my name,” she dryly stated. He opened his mouth to offer a retort, but he couldn’t think of one. “What’s my name?”

Zephyr racked his mind as he searched his memory for her blasted name, but couldn’t remember what it was for the life of him. I think it started with…“F”...Yeah, that sounds right. It was a fancy name that started with an “F.”

“Fi…” He started to say, the princess nodding and gesturing with her hoof in effort to draw the rest of her name out of him. “Fi...Fiona?”

She gave him a deadpan look and said, “You don’t even know my name. If you had paid any attention at the summit, you would have known it.”

“That’s not true! I was paying attention to you!” Zephyr claimed.

“Oh yes, you sure were paying a lot of attention to me by ogling me the entire time,” she muttered. Closing her eyes, she wiped her lips with a napkin and rose from her seat. “We’re done here. I’m sorry, but I won’t marry you.”

“But you’re the most beautiful mare in the world! I must have you!” he desperately shouted after her as he rose back up when she started to head towards the door. Hearing this, she spun around and angrily marched up to him.

“‘Have me?’ What do you think I am!?” Her outburst caused Zephyr to backpedal as she approached him while she continued her rant. “A prize to be won!? An item to possess!? A cheap harlot!? You’re not in love with me! You just want to get into my saddle and have a ride! You come here and saw a pretty face and thought she would just give herself to you! Have you forgotten that your father just died!? When I brought him up before the meeting, you just brushed it off like you didn’t even cared! You don’t care about him! You don’t care about me! You only care about yourself and your own desires.”

Left panting from outburst, she closed her eyes and took a breath, calming herself. Hearing her raise her voice, her attendants wearing the colorful robes came rushing in as did Tempest and the guards. The mage in the red robe asked, “Is everything alright, Your Highness?”

“I’m fine,” she reassured them.

“Your Highness, perhaps it’s time to go,” the mage in the blue robe urged.

“I agree,” she said as she turned to follow the Unicorn mages out the door. However, she stopped and turned to look at Zephyr. “You’re not in love with me.”

“But…” he started to say.

“Go home, Prince Zephyr,” she cut him off. “You don’t love me, and I don’t love you. And there is nothing you can do to change that.”

As he watched her and her company leave, General Tempest and the rest of his soldiers walked up to him. The hardened stallion watched Fiore Rossa as she exited the building and turned to his prince. Having heard the entire conversation, he said, “Come, my prince. Let’s return to our kingdom.” When Zephyr didn’t move, Tempest said, “Forget about her. She’s just a Unicorn. You wouldn’t want a namby-pamby spoiled brat like her anyway. Bad breeding stock.”

Zephyr said nothing, but turned to follow his adviser out the other door and took off towards his own city. As he flew, his thoughts still dwelt on the mare. Her words stung at his pride, yet he felt a fire of lustful desire burning inside of him. She’s wrong. I am in love with her, and she will be mine! “Nothing I can do to change it,” huh? Well, let’s see about that!