• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 2,059 Views, 39 Comments

The First Hearts and Hooves Day: A Legend of Spike Story - DiabloGuapo



When his mentor becomes deathly ill, Spike, along with Rarity and their daughter, go to visit him. During their visit, the ancient dragon, Aurum, tells them the full story of the first Hearts and Hooves Day.

  • ...
6
 39
 2,059

The Story Begins

Off the coast of the zebra homeland, there exists a tropical paradise where prehistoric beasts still dwell known as Krazoa Island. Protected by a powerful magic, the ancient inhabitants have survived the great extinction that had claimed the rest of their kin and have lived in relative peace for eons. The varieties of dinosaurs and other mighty beasts lived in packs and herds and roamed the wild as animals until pony colonists came to the island thousands of years ago. Though the equine settlers are long gone, they had brought civilization to the island, built vast cities, and introduced magic to the dinosaurs. Adopting a tribal structure, the packs and herds organized themselves and took up residence in the abandoned cities.

In the center of the island, there was a valley that served as the crossroads between the different tribes’ cities called ThornTail Hollow. Named for the indigenous species, the Hollow was home to a gentler bred of dinosaur. The ThornTails had bulky quadruped bodies with beaked faces. Their backs and tails were protected by bony plates and spiked protrusions, hence the name ThornTail. With their docile disposition and by the way the chewed the grass, it would be easy to compare them to large, scaly cows.

One of the gentle giants was grazing by the river when it noticed a shadow swoop across the field. Lowing in confusion, it looked up to the cerulean sky while it continued to chew its mouthful of grass. High above it, it spotted the winged silhouette of some creature as it passed over Celestia’s golden sun. At first, the dinosaur thought it was a pterosaur for it had bat-like wings, but then noticed the long neck and tail. As the flying creature drew closer as it circled dowards to the valley, the ThornTail recognized the familiar shape of the being and lowed in contentment as it went back to its grazing.

As the winged being approached the ground, it flapped its green, webbed wings to hover above the valley floor before gently touching down on four clawed feet. The visitor’s body was covered in scales of a deep purple color and had sharp, green spikes running down the length of spine from his head to the spaded tip of his tail. His emerald eyes scanned the valley, taking in the nostalgic sight. Some of the ThornTails hooted and bellowed a welcome to the arriving dragon to which he nodded in greeting back to them.

“Spike darling, could you let us down now?” a melodious voice asked from his back.

“Of course, Rarity,” the dragon replied to his wife, and then lowered his chest to the ground and stretched out an arm. A whited coated Unicorn trotted down the impromptu ramp and walked onto the green grass. She admiringly took in the sights of the lush valley; the palm trees, the crystal clear river, the stone ruins, and the exotic natives. The only things she didn’t care for were the buzzing bugs and the humidity. She spent a lot of time each morning making sure her coiffure was picture perfect, and the humidity was threatening to make friz out of control. Speaking of which, the Unicorn mare trotted over to the river and gazed upon her reflection.

“Oh dear,” she fretted as she saw that her mane had been slightly disheveled from the flight. Using her light blue magic, she pulled a comb and brush out of her traveling saddle to do a few touch ups on her violet mane. In her younger days, her mane and tail were a solid color, but now had a large streak of silvery-white running through both of them. Her friend, Twilight Sparkle, speculated that it was something left over from the time she was possessed by the Nightmare Forces.

While Rarity tended to her hair, another voiced called to Spike. “Hey Dad, flip me!”

Spike smirked and obliged as he arched his back, sending his other passenger sliding down his tail and flicking the tip like a springboard when they reached the end. The rider spun in the air before sticking the landing while cheering, “Ta-da!”

“Amethyst Opal Jade, I wished you wouldn’t do that,” Rarity slightly scolded her daughter as she finished grooming herself. “It makes me nervous.”

“Oh relax, Mom,” her daughter said as she rolled her green, reptilian eyes. “I’ve done it a thousand times. Besides, Dad knows what he’s doing.”

“I just don’t want my precious, little jewel getting hurt,” Rarity pouted coyly as she walked up to Amethyst and nuzzled her.

“Come on, Mom. I’m not five anymore. I’m almost eighteen,” the teenager whined as her affectionate mother continued to hug her, cooing as she brushed Amethyst’s purple mane. Spike snickered as his daughter fumed while Rarity continued to embarrass her. Eventually, Amethyst had enough and tried to push herself free from Rarity’s embrace. “Mom, cut it out! Dad, do something about your wife!”

“I’m sorry, but I can’t help you there,” the dragon chuckled. He then lowered his head down to Amethyst, which was about the size she was, and nuzzled against the other side of his daughter. “You’re just so cuddlesome.”

Though she tried, Amethyst couldn’t escape the double team nuzzle attack and gave up, muttering disgruntledly, “Parents.”

“Alright, I think we’ve embarrassed you enough... for now,” Rarity giggled as she and Spike relented their assault on their hybrid daughter and started to walk towards the mountains on the northern end of the valley. Amethyst was unlike any other creature in the world, being the offspring of a pony and a dragon. She was something the world hadn’t seen in thousands of years; a Kirin. Due to their magical nature, dragons could bred with almost any other creature, though it was hard to so. Since Rarity was a Unicorn, she and Spike had a better chance of producing a child because her race’s affinity towards magic.

Both races’ traits could be seen in Amethyst. Her body, for the most part, was equine. Her head, body, and hind legs were that of a pony’s, but her body was covered in white scales that shone like polished stones. Unlike her father’s sharp, hard, purple scales, hers were smooth and soft. The white, segmented scales of her underbelly were leathery and padded like a plush cushion compared the armored, lime green scales on Spike’s belly. Her rounded, purple spines on her back were flexible, barely harder than the rest of her scales. Though her hind legs were hooved like a pony’s, her front ones were dragon legs, completed with claws. Her tail was long like a dragon’s, but ended a stylish tuft a purple hair that matched her flowing mane. Another thing she inherited from her Unicorn genes was her horn. Though it was curved and more rugged than a normal Unicorn’s, it more or less worked the same. On the scales of her flanks was a cutie mark of a red, crystal heart with six smaller, round, purple gems circling it.

As the family of three made their way across ThornTail Hollow, Spike recalled his adventures on the island twenty-one years ago. Spike had joined up with a mercenary team known as “Star Fox” after he had fled Equestria when he was framed for murder by the Vampire King, Dracula. Though his friends and family ultimately had proven his innocence, Spike had already left for Krazoa Island to save it when it mysteriously started to fall apart. Rarity tracked him down to the island, but ended up as a hostage in a revived King Sombra’s scheme to regain his power. Spike and his friends, the Elements of Harmony, were able to stop Sombra, save the island, and rescue Rarity. After they had returned to Equestria, Spike was crowned a prince by the Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle, his mother. A few months later, he and Rarity were married.

As they reached the northern end of the valley, the three came upon an entrance to a cave. It was the same cave that Spike had discovered upon his arrival to Krazoa Island all those years ago. Inside, he found a fissure which led to a vital source of help that gave him the power to complete his mission.

Following the tunnel into the mountain, Spike, Rarity, and Amethyst descended into the heart of the mountain far beneath the island. The tunnel opened up to a vast subterranean chamber that was filled with an incredible wealth of treasure. Coins of gold, silver, and platinum were gathered into great mounds along with an assortment of jewels and precious stones. The light that trickled in from cracks and fissure reflected off the surfaces of the coins and multifaceted gems, illuminating the chamber with a dazzling, rainbow glow.

Upon seeing the mesmerizing sight, Rarity and Amethyst gasped as they beheld the treasure. This was Amethyst’s first time visiting the island, but Rarity had come with Spike and their friends many times since their adventure. No matter how many times she had seen the stockpile of treasure, it always took her breath away.

Spike looked upon the treasure with wonder as well, though he couldn’t help but to feel a little envious. He had accumulated his own hoard of treasure, but it was tiny compared to this. It would take centuries of gathering and collecting to build a hoard of this magnitude.

As the family stared at the treasure, a rumble reverberated off of the cavern walls as something big started to move. The mountains of wealth began to move like waves of the sea as something stirred beneath them. Like sharkfins, large, curved, golden spines arose from the depths of the gilded sea. Coins and gems dripped off a massive head, filling the chamber with the musical tinkling of treasure. Large eyelids opened, causing an eerie green to bathe the cave. The glowing eyes fell upon the trio, and a smile formed upon the lips of an elder, dark gold dragon.

“Spike, it is good to see you once again,” the old dragon rasped.

“Like wise, Master Aurum,” Spike greeted as he bowed his head in respect. The older dragon raised himself up on his front legs out of the treasure hoard, his colossal body towering over his guests. Like many reptiles, dragons continued to grow throughout their lives, reaching incredible sizes in their later years. Though Spike had grown considerably since he and Twilight Sparkle first moved to Ponyville when he was still a baby dragon, he was nowhere near the size of his mentor. Spike was between forty and fifty feet long while Aurum was larger than an Ursa Major.

A sound like thunder boomed throughout the cave causing Spike and his family to flinch, Rarity and Amethyst covering their ears. They then realized the noise was Aurum coughing and watched as the gold dragon’s legs wobbled before he crashed back down into his hoard, the impact nearly knocking them off their feet. After their shock had subsided, they looked to Aurum with concern. They noticed that the eyes of great wyrm that once burned like a green furnace had dimmed, their inner light now only softly glowing.

“Aurum, are you alright?” Spike asked the dragon that had trained him in the ways of dragon magic.

“My good sir, you look positively drained,” Rarity commented on Aurum’s state.

“How very astute of you, my dear,” Aurum dryly chuckled before coughing slightly. “I am not at my best.” His large eyes rolled over to look upon the Kirin. “You must be Amethyst Opal Jade. I have heard so much about you. I am glad to finally make your acquaintance.”

“Are you feeling okay, Mr. Aurum?” Amethyst asked with concern, repeating her father’s question.

“I fear that I have fallen ill,” explained Aurum. “Fear not, it is not contagious.”

“The letter you sent me said that you wanted to see us as soon as possible,” Spike said to the aging dragon. Just the other day, Spike received a surprise when he belched up a letter from his old teacher that came to him through his magical, green firebreath. The letter was brief and only stated that Aurum wished to see Spike and Rarity immediately. Amethyst, who had never met Aurum nor visited Krazoa Island requested to come along as well. “Is everything alright?”

“I am afraid not, my young friend,” Aurum gravely told them. “This illness… it will be the end of me.”

“What!?” Spike exclaimed upon hearing the dreadful news.

“Oh, Aurum,” Rarity sympathetically cried.

“Mourn not, there is nothing to be done,” Aurum told them, shaking his massive head.

“But there has to be something we can do!” Spike protested. “There has to be a cure or a remedy of some kind!”

“There is not. As I said, there is nothing to be done. This illness is not uncommon amongst dragons. Younger dragons almost always recover, but I am too old. My death is certain.”

“But there might be a chance that you’ll pull through,” Rarity hopefully suggested.

“I appreciate your concern, but I am afraid not,” Aurum sadly smiled at her. “Even now, I can feel my inner fire dwindle. It will soon go out. I just wanted you to come so that I may say goodbye.”

Amethyst was at a loss. She had been raised on the stories of how her parents and their friends went on many adventures, facing many dangers and saving the world from evil. She would go to bed listening to fantastic stories of daring acts of heroism and frightful tales of scary monsters. To her, Aurum was a living legend, and she was excited to finally be meeting him. Now that she finally had the opportunity to see him, he was dying.

“Aurum...no…” Spike quietly said, his voice cracking with emotion.

“All is well, my friend. It is just my time. True, I should have had many centuries of life left, yet I do not fear death. I have long desired to be reunited with my beloved.” The gold dragon paused to look upon the unusual family; a dragon, a pony, and their hybrid daughter. Turning his gaze to Rarity, he said, “I see much of her in you. She too had a generous spirit. She saw past my appearance and found something within me that I could not see.”

“You’re talking about the princess from the Hearts and Hooves Day legend, aren’t you?” Amethyst asked.

Looking to the white-scaled Kirin, Aurum nodded. “Yes, my little Kirin. How much do you know of the story?”

“Only what all little foals are taught in schools and what my dad has told me. I know that you’re the dragon from the legend and that you married the princess. Apparently, the two of you had a child that was like me. According to my dad, I’m the first Kirin born in thousands of years.”

“That is correct. I am glad that relations between ponykind and the dragons have improved enough so that another such union is possible. Back then, ponies were not so tolerant of others, not even of the other tribes of ponies. Perhaps you would like to hear the tale?”

“We would be honored to hear your story, Aurum,” Rarity graciously responded, Spike and Amethyst nodding in agreement.

Aurum smiled and said, “My children, gather around and hear my words. Spike, I may have told you of these events before, but I have not told you everything. What transpired happened long before the founding of the Kingdom of Equestria and the births of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Aside from me, there are none who now live that remember it, and soon, there will be none.

“It began with the death of the King of the Pegasi…”