• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,778 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,778

5 - Big Issues

Silver trotted through the streets of Canterlot. It was bright and early. His saddlebags were comfortable and matched his brown fur nicely. The sun was warm and the ponies just as interesting to watch as ever they had been. Canterlot ponies were well-dressed as a whole, making him feel a little underdressed in comparison. Maybe he should ask Rough Draft and Trixie about clothes shopping? He put the thought aside as he approached the school.

He arrived with plenty of time. A glance at a clock hanging on the side of a building showed there was twenty minutes before class began. He trotted onto the playground area and sat on his haunches, unsure what to do with the twenty minutes until a shadow fell over him. He glanced over to see a large earth pony colt frowning at him. "Hi," he offered, smiling. Say hello and smile, it could never hurt, or so was his philosophy.

The big colt snorted and gave Silver a shove, sending him to the ground easily on his less-than-perfect balance. "Don't get smart with me. Think you're so clever? This is my turf!"

Silver went through a few emotions, feeling surprised at first at the taste of grass (not bad) and dirt (less good). He pulled himself up to his hooves only to be shoved over again. The other colts and fillies stayed away, not willing to get involved. "Look, I'm not trying to make trouble," said Silver as surprise started to fade to a small mote of building ire.

The bigger colt shoved him again, grinding his face along the dirt without even letting him stand. "My name's Rough Tumble, and I live up to that name. Now who's the boss of this playground? Say it."

Silver trembled. He flashed back to equally terrible human bullies he had met when he was in school. He didn't have magic then. He let the magic build within him and quickly released it into his outer horn as Trixie had showed him. Too much must have spilled into the central channel, because Tumble roared and leaped upon him. Silver's breath was knocked free under the crushing weight as the magic fizzled away.

"You think you can fight me?" asked Rough Tumble, standing up over Silver Lining and driving a hoof down into Silver's back painfully. "You're nothing! I bet you can't even use that horn, you blank flank runt!"

Silver seethed even as tears stung his eyes. This was somehow worse than being punched in the face over a candy bar. That was just as senseless, but it had been over right away. This bully was trying to break him. Silver released the magic again, his anger giving focus. He imagined his hands grabbing the bully around the midsection and hauling him up and off of Silver. When the weight suddenly vanished, Silver sprung up and dashed away a few steps before turning. The moment of distraction was enough to release Tumble, who fell to the ground with a grunt.

"I'm going to rearrange your face so hard, your father won't recognize you," roared Tumble. He pawed at the ground once, kicking up a tuft of grass before he charged at Silver. Silver never felt the focus snap back in so quickly.

He put up a firm imagined palm, "Talk to the hand!" None of the ponies present could see his hand, but Tumble felt it as he ran face first into his silvery construct. Silver made its fingers curl around him. His horn began to spark, not with a lack of control, as the hand did begin to squeeze Tumble. "You fucking jerk!" shouted Silver, trembling, "Just had... to pick on the new kid?" He shook Tumble around in his grip, "Did that make you feel better? Do you feel less like a little bastard?" Tears began to flow hotly from Silver's eyes as he rattled the shocked Tumble vigorously, "Just leave me alone! Leave me alone!" The silvery hand faded away, letting Tumble sail away from its last motion and roll over in the grass.

Silver's horn hurt terribly, as did his back. His chest ached as soft sobs forced their way free and he collapsed to the ground. A hoof gently rested on his shoulder. Silver looked up through his tears to see Meadow Leaper smiling down at him. "It's OK," said Meadow Leaper. The friendly colt helped Silver up to his hooves, then suddenly hugged him. "It's OK."

Silver's tears only intensified as he was hugged. He really wanted a hug, and he got one. The simple satisfaction was almost too much. He wrapped his forelegs back around Meadow Leaper, hugging him back and sobbing against him.

Rough Tumble had got himself back to his hooves on his own, snorting at Silver's display. "Little cryfoal. You got lucky." He turned away from them and stomped off onto the playground, the other colts and fillies moving away from him.

A female voice called out, "Are you OK Silver Lining?"

"He'll be fine," said Meadow Leaper. He patted Silver on the withers, "Don't let Rough Tumble get you down. You took care of him good!"

Silver smiled and sat on his haunches, looking around. It was Lily Jump that had spoke up about him. He smiled at her, "Thanks for checking, Lily. I'm OK." He wiped away tears with a fetlock.

Soft Blush trotted over to join the group, "I say, that was awfully brutish, but your skill is hard to not notice. You were mouthing the chalk just yesterday, how did you advance so quickly?"

Silver felt a bit of pride fill the ache in his chest, "I had the best teacher. Trixie wouldn't let me quit even when I wanted to a few times."

Soft Blush raised a brow, "Trixie Lulamoon? The performer? I didn't know she was a teacher."

Silver shook his head, "She is, for me."

The bell went off suddenly, summoning the colts and fillies in to class. As they went, Meadow Leaper whispered, "Where'd you learn those words? You have a potty mouth." He sounded more admiring than admonishing, but Silver blushed gently with shame at having cursed so vehemently in front of all those foals.

School went by without any further explosions. As Trixie had commanded, he spent the boring times working on his channeling. The note he'd given to Butter Scotch explained that he would be nibbling on snacks and glowing occasionally, which he did. The little granola bars Trixie had made were delicious! By the time school was over, the horn-ache from the morning had faded away to an unpleasant memory. When the other fillies and colts trotted out, Butter approached Silver with a set of books held in her mouth, bound by a strap. She set it on his desk, "Here you are." She pointed with a hoof at one with a yellow cover, "I want you to start reading this. See if you can't get through the first chapter by the weekend."

Silver nodded quickly. Eager to practice, he sent out his silver hands and picked up the books. He giggled with a simple joy as he lifted them up and set them in his saddlebags. Butter raised a brow, "It's very good to see you're getting better, but we shouldn't use magic on other ponies." She leaned in, "Especially not to attack them."

Silver's ears fell, "He was beating me up! I was defending myself."

Butter nodded, "Mister Tumble has been spoken to." She put a hoof on his shoulder, "But you be a good pony. It doesn't feel good to hurt other ponies, right?"

Silver shook his head quickly and Butter smiled, "I know it doesn't. Just be mindful."

Silver trotted out of the school, laden with new books. He quickly made his way home, eager to drop them off. Trixie was nowhere to be seen, but Rough Draft was writing something in the den. After dropping off his books, Silver trotted into the den, "Hey Rough! What are you up to?"

Rough looked up from his book, "Writing the book you inspired. How was school?"

Silver wobbled a hoof, "Rough start, but it was alright. What book did I inspire?"

Rough smiled, "Colors of Terra, remember? I'm striking while the iron's hot." He was soon back to writing busily. Silver pondered how much easier it would be for Rough Draft if he had a computer to work on.

Silver focused his magic and gently squeezed Rough Draft around the middle, "Gonna make a snack, want some?"

Rough startled sightly at the embrace, but smiled and nodded. Silver trotted quickly back to the kitchen and set about making some food. That was when he noticed there was no lettuce or tomatoes and even those tasty nuts Trixie had used seemed to be almost out. "We're out of food!"

"Take some money and get some more," advised Rough Draft distractedly from the den, "My bit bag's in the bedroom."

Silver quickly recovered the bag and placed it in his saddlebag, "I'll be back." He was soon out the door and trotting eagerly to the grocery store. Canterlot was too large a city to have the idyllic little markets of Ponyville. This was just as well. Silver knew how to shop in a grocery store, but not so much a marketplace. He quickly began to gather supplies. Some romaine hearts, more of those nuts, milk... He wandered the aisles, filling his saddlebags with food.

"Are you finding everything alright?" asked a mare looking down on Silver. "Your bags are getting a little full."

Silver jumped back in surprise before shaking his head, "Almost done." He pointed, "Check out is over there right?"

The mare nodded, "That it is, young colt."

He returned to shopping, but the mare followed not that far away. He sighed internally. Was she worried he was going to steal the food? Nothing for it but to pretend she wasn't there. The jar of spaghetti sauce he wanted was high up, but magic was the clear answer. He floated the jar down to himself, or so was the idea. The hand wavered at the wrong moment, and the jar fell to the ground with a crash, splattering tomato sauce everywhere. The doting mare hurried up with a frown, shooing Silver away from the mess, "You shouldn't make a mess," she said as if it was his idea to break the jar, "Are you going to pay for that?"

Silver felt a little anger build, but let it go, shoving it aside with a slow breath, "I will, but can you get me another one? I still need a jar." Deciding not to press his luck, he added, "That's the last thing I need." She fetched a jar for him, but didn't give the jar to him. Instead she walked him right up to the check out and placed the jar in front of the checker there. She flashed an insincere smile and trotted off.

Silver frowned a bit but tried to press past the uncomfortable situation. He started placing the rest of his food up in front of the clerk to be tallied and paid quickly before moving to return home with what could become dinner that night and perhaps the next.

Author's Note:

Pony Land isn't all fun and games. Silver isn't regretting his decisions though.

We let the foals write this chapter. They were adorable with their pencils in their mouths, but they probably left some typos.