• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,777 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,777

27 - I was in Town

The next morning, there was a light knocking on the door. Silver closed his game and was on his hooves quickly, trotting to the door with a light, clumsy stumble. Maybe a month wasn't quite enough to work out all the kinks? He put the thought aside and opened the door, revealing a familiar face.

Nicole Foalman smiled down at him brightly, "Hello, little colt. Is David Silver in?"

Silver blinked but quickly recovered with a smile, "Right here, Nicky. How are the boys?"

Nicole tilted her head a little, "You didn't tell me humans could do this?" She entered and nudged the door shut with her magic, "Are you playing a joke on me?"

Celine trotted out from the back and looked up at Nicole, then at Silver, "Hello Nicole."

Nicole smiled winningly, "Hello little filly. Have you seen me before?"

Celine nodded, then nuzzled into Silver's side, making him blush.

Silver gestured at Celine with a hoof, "I've been busy since last we met. I'm kinda married now. Meet Celine."

Nicole leaned in closer, "And you're a unicorn? And a colt? This is becoming hard to believe." She looked over Celine, "Nice to meet you, Celine. Is this really David?"

Celine shook her head, "He was David, now he's Silver Lining, and my stallion. I am his first wife, so if you want him, you'll have to impress me first."

Nicole burst into a soft laughter, "Well! I'd better get my act together then." She reached for Silver, ruffling his mane, "I wanted to say hello, and thank you for your recommendation. Soft Blush is a very talented mare. She'll let some actors be almost as good as me at looking the part."

Silver smiled, "So she got the job?"

Nicole waved a hoof dismissively, "I could barely wait for the ink to dry. She's off to Warneigh Brothers where her talents will be put to work right away. So, are you going to tell me? How did you end up like this?"

Silver tapped his chin with a hoof, "I made a lot of stupid decisions, followed by a few good ones. I'm living life from the start basically." He turned and bumped his nose into Celine's cheek, "It's working out so far."

Nicole tilted her head one way, then the other, "You're cute for a colt, but I'll miss the big shaggy human." She rose up and began to turn, "Still, it's nice to know you're doing well. Do drop a letter once in a while, I don't bite unless you request it."

Celine grabbed the door in her magic, opening it for Nicole. "Have a nice day!"

Soon she was gone, and Silver looked at Celine, considering pouncing her for a change. He waited too long, and was bowled over by her. She soon had him in a strong hug, snuggling him into the ground. He gave a soft giggle and hugged back gently, "It'll be sad that she's gone, but I'm glad she got a nice job."

Celine tilted her head, "Life is change. She's an adult now. Your first real job is when you can stop being called a filly or a colt."

Silver raised an ear, "Is that how it works? So people just... stay in school until they find a job?"

Celine shrugged, letting Silver stand just to lean on him, "To a degree. Once in a while, a foal just never finds work, out of laziness, or indirection, disaster, or something. Thankfully that's rare." She nipped him on the cheek, "You have a job waiting for you."

Silver shivered softly at the nip, then pressed against Celine. She allowed him his victory, being laid out on her back as he slid in over her. She grinned up at him, "Are you going to do it, uh..." she looked thoughtful a moment, "Missionary? What does that mean? That's a strange name for this."

Silver flushed gently, "That wasn't the goal, not that I'd mind it, but not on the living room floor, sheesh." He snorted softly, "And stop digging through my memories for position names, that's creepy."

Celine twisted strongly, and soon Silver was pinned under her, "We can do it cowboy style instead?"

Silver wriggled under her, "You're impossible!" He stopped then and reached, putting a hoof on her belly, "So, uh, what about this? If we play like that, we'll make a foal, right? What are the rules about that? I don't want to be a deadbeat father, heck, am I old enough to make a foal?"

Celine wriggled her ears, looking thoughtful, "I can't think of a time a stallion without a cutie mark fathered a foal unless they just never got one." She pressed against him in a delightful fashion that made his heart start to pick up, "Though you are a special stallion, but you don't have your mark. We should get you one."

Silver tilted his head, "You say that like we should stop by the cutie mark store and pick up a nice one."

Celine giggled and silenced his questions with a kiss that seemed to go on forever. When she drew back, she ran her hooves down along his body, teasing over his blank flanks, "I have a pretty good idea what could bring your mark to you. It's still a guess, but I'm kind of in the best position to make that guess."

Silver shook his head, "How do you keep all of 'me' up there?"

Celine shook herself out from head to her dark tail, "Easy! When Luna split, she gave most of 'you' to me. 'You' are a big part of me. I think about 'you' a lot. Luna gets to be free of 'you' and your confusing human thoughts." She stuck out her tongue, "Everypony wins. I'm made for you, so having 'you' there is just... lovely for me."

Silver looked concerned with a soft frown, "Is that right? I mean... you don't have free will?"

Celine suddenly punched Silver in the belly, knocking the breath from him. "I am not your slave! You get that thought out of your head. If you start acting like a jerk, I'll stop liking you. It's not unconditional love."

Silver struggled to regain the breath violently torn from him, nodding, "Sorry... Please don't hit me like that." He flopped back, looking at the ceiling, "You can tell me I'm being a jerk, or stupid, but I... want to know you'll never hurt me."

Celine looked guilty, glancing left and right before she nodded, "I won't hurt you again, but no promises on tackling, nibbles, or tickling."

Silver smiled, "I can live with that, even if I cry like a filly." The moment passed in one another's forelegs, comfortably entangled.

"So," asked Celine, "Did you want to try?"

Silver raised an ear, "What do I have to do?"

Celine sat up on Silver, "Well... I'm not entirely sure, but I have a hunch you need to see magic, real magic, spells!"

Silver nodded lightly, "I've been trying to do that, but everypony insists I memorize those patterns first." He frowned sharply, "I hate it. I don't memorize that way, usually. I memorize by doing, and by using pieces in a system I can tinker with. Give me bits of game rules and I'll work them together. Give me shreds of a programming language and I'll make it bend backwards to do something it's not designed to do."

Celine looked thoughtful for a moment before she hopped off of Silver and trotted off. He quickly rolled over, following her, "Where are you going?"

Celine didn't answer as she stepped into the plushly-carpeted den and made her way over to the magic books. She reached for a book and an image of Trixie appeared, "You are either a thief, or my naughty colt. Either way, no book for you! The Great and Powerful Trixie has spoken." With the warning spoken, a field of force appeared over the books, barring the way. Celine's horn shone with a rapid pattern and she thrust a hoof through the field, knocking one of the books free. It was grabbed in her magic before it hit the ground and Celine trotted back to the surprised-looking Silver.

"Read this," she beckoned, flipping it open to the first page, the part Trixie had skipped.

Silver tilted his head a little before he flopped down and got to reading curiously. The book seemed to go over the flow of magic, from a high-level viewpoint. It talked about how the patterns came together to form spells and shape intent with a specific sort of syntax and phrasing. The more he read, the more it seemed to make sense. Though the entire first chapter had no specific facts that would allow a colt to cast a spell, likely why Trixie had skipped it, it made it all come into focus for Silver. "Magic is a programming language!" he exclaimed as he sat up.

Celine paused, digging through her borrowed memories to learn what that was, "Yes, sort of, though you're programming the universe, not any silly computer."

Silver thrust a hoof into the air, "I can get behind that! These patterns are just the primitives. Why am I memorizing primitives? I can reference those!" He snorted softly, "I'd rather get to work on a real spell." He flipped ahead to the basic alphabet and pointed, "Can you make copies of this? So I can have a reference chart?"

Celine's horn flashed with complex magic before copies of the pages floated up and bound together into a small leaflet of the alphabet.

Silver tilted his head, "Hrm, can you make it one big sheet of paper, so I can see them all at once?"

With some magical tinkering, the papers were reconfigured into a big sheet, all the information in one place. "Perfect! Thanks." He kissed her on the nose, then plopped back down in front of the book, flipping past the alphabet. "Simple spells for foals, now we're talking..."

"Silver Lining!" came the angry voice of Trixie from the open archway to the den. "What are you doing?" She trotted up, her magic slamming the book shut, "Trixie did not give permission to study the book today. How did you get this off the shelf?" She saw the big floating reference chart and blinked at it before waving it away, "Go study that, that's harmless." She shoved the book back into its original place, leaving a disappointed Silver there on the floor as she cast a different defensive ward and sat watching them, "Go on."

Silver only realized then that Celine wasn't in sight, though he could see a faint haze of her magic lingering. He sat up, "Uh... sorry."

Trixie pointed at him, "Go outside and play like a normal colt. You don't need to study over the weekend. You may be an adult inside, but that won't stop Trixie from tanning your bottom if you disobey her again. It's for your own good."

Silver's ears fell. He didn't want to be spanked, least of all by Trixie. He wondered a moment how hooves, or a furry rump, would work with that, but decided not to test Equestrian physics and dashed from the room and the potential pain. He was soon out of the house, head full of half-aborted glimpses of real magic.

Author's Note:

So close...

Trixie's new spell scrambled some of the letters to keep Silver away from those spellbooks.