• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,779 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,779

25 - Home Life

Silver opened the door to his house to discover Celine had somehow beaten him home. She was seated beside Rough Draft and the two were having a conversation. Silver closed the door behind himself and went to the fridge, fetching a celery stalk to nibble on. The noise must have given him away as he turned away from the fridge to bump nose-to-nose with Celine. He squeaked in surprise, but soon smiled.

"Hey," said Celine, "What took you so long?"

Silver held the celery in the corner of his mouth as he spoke, "I rode here in a truck. Until I learn teleporting, that's about as fast as I can go." Celine advanced and nuzzled him under the chin. Silver went still, caught off-guard by the affection. There was no attack in it, and she backed off. He relaxed and leaned forward, returning it with a gentle bumping of noses. He could get used to this. "Ready to do some homework?"

Celine led the way into the den and they were soon hard at work. While Silver breezed through the technical portions, finding the linguistics and math portions childishly simple, Celine was a great help for history. "I knew him personally," she said with a smile. "He was stubborn as a, well, bull, but a pleasant enough fellow."

With their assignments complete, Trixie trotted in and pulled the introductory book from the wall. She laid it in front of Silver and sat down with a patient look. Silver quickly flipped it open to the alphabet and resumed trying to memorize, "So... I passed one of the exams."

Trixie blinked, "What?"

Silver looked up from the book, "The exams, I passed one."

Trixie tilted her head, looking shocked, but then her gaze slid along to Celine and the expression darkened to a frown.

Celine looked away, "What? I didn't do anything..."

Silver spotted the many tells and thumped the carpet with a hoof, "That was you?! I thought I figured it out on my own!"

Trixie shook her head, "You cheated, even if you were not aware of the fact. Which test was it?"

Silver let out a soft sigh before he explained, "He, or she? Whoever they were, they did changes on the inside of each unicorn and challenged them to identify what changed."

Trixie tilted her head, "How far did you get without your little helper?"

Celine stuck out her tongue, "I only helped him at the end. He had it almost all figured out."

Silver gave a hesitant nod. "I used the flow of magic in me as a kind of radar."

"Radar?" asked Trixie.

Silver waved a hoof, "I felt where the flow changed, and I could tell a lot about what was changing it, but I was stupid and forgot how large and what shape his heart crystal was. He had put it in my shoulder. I..." he frowned, "How did that not put a lump in my shoulder, or hurt?"

"Magic," said Celine simply with a smile.

Trixie snorted softly, "The true answer is more complex, but, yes, magic is a valid answer. Are you thinking to run off to his academy tomorrow?" She looked ready to argue, body tense.

Silver shook his head, "He suggested I finish learning the basics first, but that I was welcome. There's still one more examiner, right?"

Trixie relaxed immediately, "Good, and yes. The least of the schools, Canterlot Academy of Higher Magic. Perfectly fine, as schools go, but with no specialization, they have the fewest stand-out unicorns to their name."

Silver tilted his head a little, "Did I miss the one from Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns?"

Trixie snorted, "You have to go to them. That university will not come to schools. There is also a significant entrance fee that is not refunded if you fail the test." Trixie poked Silver, "Twilight went to that school, and look at her."

Silver considered this a moment, "Now she's a princess?"

Celine giggled softly, "And neurotic."

Trixie pointed at Celine, "Precisely. You already have Celestia's attention. You don't need to go to her school. Besides." She poked Silver gently, "You can't be a princess."

Silver stuck out his tongue, "That's sexist. I'd make a perfectly fine princess."

Celine tilted her head, "You don't have the right kind of magic to be an alicorn."

This made Silver blink softly, "What?"

Celine bobbed her head, "Alicorns can only exist where all three tribes can blend together in magic. Even the most non-magical mare has this magic, inside of her. It's how a unicorn can make an earth pony or a pegasus make a unicorn."

Silver gave a slow nod, "Well, alright. That sort of makes sense. So princesses are what they are because of womb magic?"

Trixie raised a brow, "This makes sense..." she said in a tone that implied she hadn't heard the idea before.

Celine went on, "That's why gender-changing magic is so hard."

Silver clopped his hooves together, "Because you'd either have to add the whole new magic system, or take it out. Either way would be a huge deal."

Trixie nodded her head, "You have expanded the Curious and Attentive Trixie's knowledge."

Silver pointed at Trixie, "Since she has one, a womb that is, does that make her a better wizard off the bat?"

Celine shook her head, "She doesn't cast using that power. It is strictly internal unless you become an alicorn. So, you two are on even hoofing."

Trixie scoffed, "My student is very ambitious, but he is still years from even dreaming of challenging his teacher."

Silver rose to his hooves and took a few steps up to Trixie. He leaned forward and touched his nose to hers, "Thank you."

Trixie went red lightly, "What was that for?"

Silver smiled, "For being my teacher, and my mom." He returned to his book and laid down. "So when should I expect a brother or sister?"

Trixie's red went to full force as she frowned, "That is a very improper question! We haven't even married yet."

"Yet," said Celine with a little giggle.

Trixie hopped to her hooves and stormed out of the room, "Trixie does not have to take this!"

Silver let her go, then looked back at Celine, "Before the end of summer?"

Celine stuck out her tongue, "Before the end of the month."

Since the book on patterns was left on the floor, Silver availed himself of it, working through them with his horn. He'd memorize them, eventually, he hoped.

After an hour of cycling through the patterns, Celine nudged him, "You look tired, let's go to bed." She was quite insistent, and soon he found himself under the covers with her. He was tired enough to start fading out, but then he felt her touch somewhere... sensitive.

Silver jumped, but the sensation continued. He didn't know what to say or do and mostly laid like a lump as she had her way with him. In the end, he was panting for breath as the sensations tingled through him. He felt her teeth nip at his exposed throat. "Next time I expect you to play along."

Silver trembled lightly. Was that enough to consider his virginity lost? He hadn't been... He tilted his head in the dark, then squeezed Celine close. He stopped caring as he gently inhaled her scent and faded to sleep in her hooves.


The next day, Silver and Celine trotted to school together. They arrived to see the usual group playing a game of loopty hoops. Silver was surprised at how well Tumble could keep his hoop going. Glancing around, Silver spotted his truck parked not far away. He looked over at Celine and saw her eyes roaming the schoolyard. He decided to approach his friends, "Hey!"

Lily Jump's hoop fell to the ground as she stuck out her tongue and lowered herself to all fours. "Hey Silver. How are you?"

Meadow performed his namesake leap, the hoop ending up in his mouth before he set it down gracefully. "Good to see you two." He looked at Celine directly, "Are you two... together, like for real?"

Celine grinned as she reported, "We are married. I am his first wife."

Soft Blush raised a brow high, "First wife? You hadn't mentioned you were forming a herd."

Lily Jump tilted her head, "That's so weird! I thought only country ponies did that kinda thing."

Meadow threw a leg over Silver's neck, "I clearly underestimated you, you mare-killer you." He squeezed Silver before letting him go, grinning with the pride of camaraderie.

Tumble gave a slow blink and leaned in, "W-wait, you mean..."

Celine nodded her head, "I can suggest other ponies to join the herd, and if both of us agree, then the herd grows."

Silver blinked, "Oh, is that how it works?"

Celine gave an mmhmm, "I'm already looking for good ones."

Silver shook his head quickly, "I'm still getting used to you, Celine. I mean... I like you... But I'm not used to having a marefriend. Can't we just be... us for a little bit?"

Lily Jump gave a loud aww, "That's so sweet!"

Celine bobbed her head, "Alright, for a little bit, but it's my job to make sure you are surrounded by loving mares."

The bell rung and they all filed into class. Butter Scotch's social studies lesson of the day had to do with Equestrian banking. It wasn't that terribly far off from American banking, but the banks had no power to lend money that they didn't actually have, nor did the idea of doing that seem to even enter Butter's mind. Checks written from one bank to another involved an actual transfer of the bits from one bank to another, and often had transportation fees attached. There was no 'virtual' currency to be seen.

The final examiner trotted in mid-morning. She looked like a perfectly normal unicorn mare with a nice jacket. "Hello students," she said in a friendly tone, "I'm here to administer tests. Don't worry, pass or fail, there's always next year, and we do offer study assistance programs." She was the friendliest by far, but Silver supposed that made sense for being the least prestigious of the schools. She led the four remaining qualifying unicorns out, then looked them over. When she saw Soft Blush, she checked a scrap of paper held in her soft blue magic. "Are you Soft Blush?"

She nodded.

The representative smiled, "You already earned a full scholarship. You don't need to take the test." Soft Blush nodded and returned to the school, leaving Silver and the two others behind. The examiner looked over the remaining three, "This test couldn't be easier! You just have to show mastery of the basic patterns."

Silver swallowed nervously. Of course. He watched as the filly went through the alphabet, but even he could see where her horn tripped over a pattern, a discordant flash before his eyes. She braved on through it and he saw no other obvious errors.

"So close," said the examiner with a smile, "A little study and you'll have it down. Don't be discouraged." She turned to Silver next. Why couldn't he be last again? "Your turn."

Silver took a slow breath as the filly returned inside. He formed each pattern slowly but carefully, but there were several he just didn't remember, so he skipped them rather than make a random pattern.

"Very nice," she said, "Your patterns were crisp and straight, but you missed a few. Once you learn the rest, you'll get in with no trouble at all!" And she turned to the last student. She hadn't said 'Failed', but he had. Silver trotted back into class.

Author's Note:

Things stabilize quite a bit in this chapter. Silver is... mostly just happy for a change, which is nice! You go, colt. Tumble sees a glimmer of opportunity as Silver's herd status is made public.

This chapter failed the test because of its typos and will not be attending the Canterlot Academy of Higher Magic.