• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,774 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,774

23 - Love Talk

Cadance circled around Luna, who was seated on a cushion. "Did you give him everything back?"

Luna perked an ear, "He showed no interest in most of it, but I gave back the largest artifact, which he seemed to prize."

Cadance made a soft gesture, "Alright, that's good enough for now." She marched up to Luna, "Now that the air is clearer, you still have to tell him. You also have to decide." She held up a hoof, "Do you love him?" She switched hooves, "Or is it a fixation? If you love him, he must become more of your equal."

Luna twitched her ears, "The only way I could do that is if he knew how to part the soul as well, which he does not. He is not even close to skilled enough for that. He hurt himself trying to enter an academy."

Cadance pointed, "There you go. If you want to do him a favor, a real favor, you'll show him how to use that horn."

Luna looked clearly uncomfortable at the idea, "He has a teacher, and we have not... that much time."

Cadance shrugged, "He doesn't have to know everything of you to be more equal, but it means you have to bow that neck of yours and stoop down to his level. It means not giving him orders, or expecting him to do as you say, or testing if he'll do what you say. You should be encouraging his strength, not testing his weakness." She looked over her shoulder at Luna, "But I'm not certain you are ready for that."

Luna shook her head, looking forlorn. "I don't think I am either."

Cadance approached Luna and gave her a gentle nuzzle, "Then you must quit him. You are hurting him, and he is hurting you. Neither of you mean to, but it is what it is. Visit him once more to apologize, and to say goodbye."

Luna flared her wings, "That will crush him."

"It will," agreed Cadance, "But it will be a short-term pain. He will recover, and be healthier for it. He has to find someone closer to his own level, not chasing after princesses."

Luna wrinkled her nose, "You sound like a stuffy courtier, insisting the classes not mix."

Cadance nodded, "Sometimes it can be true... He is so far beneath you that he doesn't even know what world you live in. You have no common reference." She paused, then pointed at Luna, "Well, I suppose you have his frame of reference, but you're not willing to dive that deep."

Luna's ears flipped back, "His 'frame of reference' is alien. He has seen things, impossible things, and debased things. He has seen things wonderful and perverse. It is beyond me how any one pony, even of his true age, could have witnessed so much. To say nothing of his thoughts of me! And you!" She raised a hoof and pointed, "If he thought he had a chance, he'd gladly leap on any of the princesses, to say nothing of the Elements. His favored is Twilight. He likes her eccentric nature and her keen hunger for knowledge."

Cadance frowned, "Is he a predator? I'm not going to ask how he knows of any of the Elements."

Luna shook her head, "Yes and no? His species is, but crippling doubt keeps him from ever being much a threat to a pony. I'm surprised he has adjusted so well to pony life. Before he came here, he ate meat rather regularly, and now, none at all." She rose to her hooves. "He is a bad habit."

Cadance nodded, "We agree. You have enough to worry about without entangling your life with an alien. Maybe when he's not young enough to make other ponies worry about the implications?"

Luna snorted, looking thoughtful a moment, "Maybe I should arrange him a partner. It is still within the royal right to do so, is it not?"

Cadance raised a brow, "Technically, but it hasn't been used in practice in a long time. Do you have somepony in mind?"

Luna smiled gently, "Now that I know him clearly, one that I thought was seducing him is revealed to be one he already had feelings for. He still dreams of her regularly."

Cadance nodded, looking pleased, but then doubt came over her, "Is this pony... also a filly or colt?"

Luna shook her head, "She is mature, as is her partner."

Cadance's confidence crumbled further, "Partner? This pony already has a partner?"

Luna waved a silver-shod shoe, "And he desires both of them. They were to be a herd before things came to a head in Manehattan. I thought all his feelings for her were forced and artificial, but I see now that he found her appealing long before then."

Cadance shook her head, "The way you describe it, he finds most ponies attractive. You said he was a biped?"

Luna snorted softly as she moved towards a window, gazing out over Canterlot, "This one is different. They share interests. She plays the same games he does, and admires his species. His being a human, even former, is a plus for her."

"But she's a full-grown mare?" asked Cadance. "Even if they do bond, she will grow old long before he does."

Luna flapped a wing, "Is it not said it is better to love and lose than to never love to start?"

Cadance shook her head quickly, "That does not make it our goal. Think, Auntie. If you insist on searching for him, surely you know somepony closer to his age? His physical age."

Luna snorted softly, "He does not find ponies his own age appealing, beside the euphoria of their scent. He sees them as foals, little ponies, even if he is their size."

Cadance let out a small laugh, "I'm actually relieved to hear there is something he is not drawn to, but did it have to be the one thing he should be? Your colt is one big bundle of trouble."

"Tell me about it," said Luna with a snort.

Cadance poked her in the shoulder, "Alright, from the top. What does he favor?"

Luna considered a moment before tapping her hooves, "A kind temperament, and the ability to see beyond the current situation. An aggressive partner, but not too much so."

Cadance softly huffed, "That writes you out."

Luna frowned, but continued, "Light-hearted, playful."

Cadance smiled gently, "That isn't so exotic. He just wants what most ponies want."

Luna suddenly brightened, "I know it! Somepony with a predatory side, that will challenge him, and chase him." She strode to a writing desk, grabbing a quill in her magic, "Yes, this should work out well."

Cadance pointed at Luna, "Don't forget you still have to confess. I'm not leaving until you come clean. If you don't tell him, I tell Celestia, and she will be very upset."

Luna frowned, "Don't use my sister against me." She turned her attention back to the paper, writing quickly, then folding it shut and sealing with wax. "Let us be off."


Rough and Trixie lay in the bed, satisfied. Rough gently nuzzled with her, rubbing snouts as he looked into her eyes. "You are the enchantress of my heart."

Trixie gave a soft giggle, "That was awful. You are the pillar of my soul." They squeezed together. "My muse I never knew I was missing."

Rough softly nipped at her ears, "The spark to light my fire."

Trixie tilted her head, "Why did you never tell me before? We were together for long enough."

Rough's ears pinned down, "I... was afraid you'd reject me. You're so... wonderful. Your lustrous blue fur, your dazzling eyes. Even your magic has an air of majesty and mystery to it."

Trixie could argue none of these points, but it felt nice to hear, "I'm sorry I never said anything." She ran a hoof gently over his ears and neck, "You always stood at Trixie's side. Even when my ideas didn't work, you just encouraged me to try again." She bumped noses with Rough, "Tell me about my mane."

Rough was only too happy to begin describing the wonder of her mane, its silvery other-worldly hue, the way it held itself so perfectly and made her all the more bewitching. His words made Trixie's heart feel light and she rolled over on top of him. "Will you stay?"

Rough blinked softly, "Stay?"

Trixie made a dismissive motion, "Now that you have had me, will you run away?"

Rough shook his head violently, "No! I want... to stay at your side. Forever, if you'll have me."

Trixie rested her cheek against Rough's, "Forever is a long time. Why don't we try this... I think I like this... like you..."

Rough squeezed her gently, "I love you, and I'll protect you."

Trixie's doubts had returned, with none of Cadance's magic to ward them away, "Trixie has heard that before... But you will get your chance. We are marefriend and coltfriend, yes? Show me that you are sincere before we rush ahead any further."

Rough rolled over, taking the top. He sealed his agreement with a kiss, and then much more.


Silver perked an ear. He closed his game and headed for the door, opening it to reveal Luna and Cadance. He blinked at the two royal ponies and stepped out of the way. They trotted in lightly and he closed the door. Luna looked at him oddly, then away. Cadance nudged her with a hoof, "Go on."

Luna cleared her throat, "We are afraid we have not been entirely truthful."

Silver could hear worry in Luna's voice, but couldn't fathom what she had to worry about. Such a magnificent mare could hardly do much wrong. Maybe she was in trouble? "Can I help?"

Cadance saw the cord between Silver and Luna glowing brightly. Though it was against her nature in every literal sense, she gently pressed down on that connection with her magic, choking it. It was painful in her chest, but she held it shut for the moment. Silver's eyes cleared of the fog gathering in them and he blinked, "Huh?"

Luna glanced at Cadance, then back at Silver, "We took advantage of your weakened state to secure permission to examine you. We have seen all."

Silver went red rapidly, "Everything?"

Luna nodded her head, "Everything."

Silver squirmed in place, "Are you going to banish me now?"

Luna blinked at this response, "Why would I do that? I came to apologize."

Silver shook his head, "I don't actually care that much if you know everything. I told you, I just thought it... would be unpleasant for you, and might get me kicked out of Equestria."

Cadance lightly punched Luna in the side, "Told you!"

Silver continued, "So... you're OK with what you saw?"

Luna took a slow breath, "No. Your thoughts are alien. Never have I seen a mind so divorced from the harmony of Equestria. My mind still reels from the things I have seen." She raised a brow, "Is it common for people of your world to fantasize about other species so much? To say nothing of what is in your head about me alone."

Silver sunk his head ashamedly, "That's mostly just me, but there are others." He looked up at Luna, "I hold you in the highest respect, even if my imagination is terrible."

"Imagination!" exclaimed Luna, "We have seen all. We know other humans have made drawings of our royal personage. We are... flattered, perhaps, but disturbed. To think a bunch of evolved apes are dreaming of me a world away."

Cadance began to grow curious, "Do they... of me?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Luna, then sank in place. "Be that as it may, I have wronged you. It is within your right to demand recompense."

Silver tilted his head one way and the other. So Luna knew all his thoughts, all of them? A horribly lewd thought popped into his head and he opened his mouth to demand something awfully decadent, but it never emerged. "You don't owe me anything."

Luna seemed to grow instantly angered, "You must demand something! I will not be another female to leave you used with nothing."

Silver frowned in thought, then glanced over at Cadance, "Hey Cadance. It's nice to meet you in person."

Cadance smiled and reached to ruffle his mane, "Hello Silver. You have Luna running in circles."

Silver nodded, "On one hand, er, hoof, I just want her to let it go. We made mistakes, it happens. I don't do grudges, and it didn't actually hurt me."

"About that," said Luna. "When I abused your intoxication, it may have muddled your mind towards me."

Cadance shook her head, "It will fade with time and separation, but I am holding it back for now. Your thoughts are your own."

Silver frowned, that explained certain things. "So, I don't suppose you could fix that?"

Luna shook her head, "I do not even understand it. Cadance?"

Cadance allowed her sight to slip to the realm of love. She extended a hoof towards Silver, waiting for that cord to appear. It sprung out, linking them, and she followed it back to his heart, then she blinked, vision returning. "How could I have not realized?"

"Realized what?" asked Silver. Cadance smelled nice and his nose danced lightly.

Cadance pushed Silver away, "It's nothing mystical at all. You just don't know how to handle pheromones. Did your native species not have them?"

Silver shook his head, "People argue about it a lot, but our noses are not that keen compared to most animals."

Cadance nodded her head, "You're being overwhelmed. I shudder to think what would happen if you came on a mare who was in season."

Silver bobbed his head, "Alright, that makes sense, so... what do we do about it?"

Cadance lifted her shoulder, "You get used to it, unless you want your nose crippled. That would just be barbaric."

Luna raised a brow, "I am relieved it wasn't my magic, but you have yet to name your price for forgiveness."

Silver smiled nervously, "Promising not to do it again isn't enough?"

Luna shook her head, "No."

Silver looked between the two princesses, unsure of what he should demand of Moonbutt.

Author's Note:

What should Silver ask for?

How about immunity to typos forever! I can get behind that wish.