• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,751 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,751

15 - Meet my Friends

Tumble started visiting every day, invited or not. Silver had no reason to turn him away, so he let him in and they did homework together, or played video games. Sometimes Tumble would just sit there and watch Silver practice his magic, though there wasn't a lot for the earth pony to see when he did this.

After one such session, it was growing late in the day. Tumble ambled on home while Trixie stayed in the den with Silver. She poked him in the shoulder. "Trixie is not an expert when it comes to little colts, but he is looking at you."

Silver raised an ear, "Huh?"

Trixie snorted lightly, "Looking. He likes you. Every time you glance at him, he looks away."

Silver flushed warm in his cheeks, "Better than pounding me."

Trixie frowned a little, "It is, but is he here because you are afraid of him? Your amazing teacher will send him away if that is the case."

Silver shook his head, "No! He's OK. I mean, he hasn't bothered anypony for a few days now. He's trying to be good." He rolled over onto his side, "He's trying to be a good pony, and if I turn him away, he'll be back to nothing."

Trixie raised a brow, "Are you going to raise your tail for him to keep him as a 'good pony'? Trixie thinks that is a foolish idea."

Silver shuddered softly, "I don't want... things back there."

Trixie crossed her hooves under her chin, gazing at Silver with naughty eyes, "Then maybe you will be the stallion of the pair?"

"Why do I have to be anything of anything?" asked Silver, springing to his hooves. "I want... a family. You don't make cute little foals with another stallion. Biology doesn't work that way."

Trixie shrugged her shoulders, "That is for you to decide. This isn't included in magic lessons." She gestured to Silver's room, "But, for now, it is sleep time. Go to bed."

Silver did just that. The next morning he prepared for the day and trotted off to school. He surveyed the schoolyard when he arrived, spotting Meadow Leaper and Lily Jump playing a game, bouncing a ball off a wall back and forth between each other. He saw Tumble sitting by himself, though that quickly changed. Tumble spotted Silver and ambled over with a smile, "Hey Silver Lining!"

Silver got an idea, and smiled back, "Hey Tumble. Let's go say hi to some friends."

"Uh, OK..." said Tumble, less sure. He followed after Silver as he approached Meadow and Lily.

"Good morning," said Silver, "I want to introduce somepony to you."

"Who's--" Meadow stopped, looking at who Silver was referring to. "Uh... we've met."

Lily bobbed her head, "Everypony's met Rough Tumble before."

Silver shook his head, "That was the old Rough Tumble. The new Rough Tumble is way better." He gently nudged the nervous-looking Tumble closer. "He's nice."

Meadow was the first to go with it, offering a hoof, "Dad always says a pony deserves another chance. Put 'er there." They met hooves in a friendly bump. "There, now we're cool."

Lily smiled when they hoofbumped, looking encouraged, "Wanna join us?" She kicked the ball so it bounced off the wall and came at Tumble at a leisurely rate. Tumble bumped it back, and they began to play. Silver quietly scooted away from the trio, pleased with himself. Maybe now he could get a break from the constant presence of Tumble, friendly as he may be.

The school day went smoothly. At the end, Butter Scotch dismissed all the students, but asked the handful of unicorns present to remain behind.

Butter smiled warmly at the remains of her class, "Next week is a very important week. For those seeking to learn magic more deeply, the academies will be visiting the school. They will take you aside and perform tests. If you do well, they will invite you to come study with them." She held up a hoof, "This is not mandatory. Many unicorns live a perfectly satisfying life without learning magic beyond their special talent, and that's just fine. I know a few of you tried last year and didn't get in, but this is another chance for you. Any questions?"

Silver raised a hoof, "Do we need anything for it? Should we prepare?"

Butter shook her head a little, "You already have a personal tutor. I'm certain she can prepare you for it. Now don't worry too much, you have a week before they start arriving."

With that, school was dismissed and Silver trotted home, thinking about those academies. He really wanted to learn more magic, and a school where that was the focus had a strong appeal over the general and unfocused study of the grade school. Was there an age requirement? Did he know enough magic?

He arrived home to find Rough writing in the living room next to the computer. Trixie was blending up a fresh oat shake. He waved to each of them, "Hey Rough, Trixie. Uh, Trixie? Butter said some academy ponies were going to visit."

Trixie tilted her head, "Already? You are unlikely to catch their eye this year. Maybe next year."

Silver blinked, "Just like that? I shouldn't even try? Maybe they'll be impressed with my dexterity."

Trixie shook her head, "This is doubtful. If you can't even reliably show off the magical alphabet, they will probably not look further." She waved a hoof, "Still, you should try. It will be a learning experience. You will know what they will want for next year."

Silver frowned a little, "Alright... Is it OK if I study the book?"

"You may," conceded Trixie, "But you're not going to memorize it all before they arrive. When are they coming exactly?"

Silver made a vague gesture, "Next week."

Trixie snorted, "Such little warning." She trotted up to Silver and patted him on his head, "Trixie wishes you the best of luck, but there is next year. You are a little colt. We have time."

Silver wasn't interested in using his physical age as an excuse. He marched into the den and plucked the book of magical letters from its resting spot. He spent the rest of the evening reading over the letters over and over, trying to bake them into his mind.

The day passed, and the next day found Silver trotting to school. He blinked in surprise when he arrived. Tumble was playing with Soft Blush and Lily Jump. The two mares were having a tea party, and apparently Tumble was invited. Though the bigger stallion looked awkward, he was behaving himself. Silver smiled, proud of himself and his friends. He trotted over to join them, "Room for one more?"

They graciously allowed him to join in the game of pretending to sip tea and talk about nothing in particular. It seemed that having Silver there also playing relaxed Tumble, and they all had a pleasant time until the bell went off, summoning them inside.

School went by without much of anything interesting happening, until towards the end. Butter summoned the unicorns aside, "Before the testers arrive, we have to measure your basic abilities. Those who can't muster enough light and force will not be tested further." She looked over the small gathering of colts and fillies, "Just to remind you all, this is not a strike against you, as a pony. You may get stronger with time and practice, or not, and either is just fine. Your worth as a pony is not measured by your ability to do magic. That aside, let's begin." She went to each unicorn in turn, having them glow as brightly as they could.

His practice had served him well. Silver could see the magic flowing through their horns. With it, he could see the imperfections in the channeling. Magic flowed wildly into the outer channels where it was needed in the center for light for many of the unicorns, though one other, Soft Blush, seemed to have it down right. When it was his turn, he let the magic flow powerfully through him, growing warm. He opened the floodgate and kept the magic held tightly to the center. He couldn't see his own horn very well, but he could see his silvery light shining off the ponies around him. Butter nodded at him, "Very good." She moved right on to the next in line. When she reached the end, she sent some of the unicorns back into the school, already it was down to only six unicorns.

Butter pointed at a series of weights placed about twenty feet in front of the line. "When it is your turn, you need to pick up each weight, one at a time, starting from the lightest. If you can't lift a weight, then stop. There's no reason to strain yourself." Soft Blush reached the third weight, barely getting it off the ground before she set it back down with a soft panting. Most of the other unicorns got about that far, with one colt grabbing the fourth weight and hefting it up with effort.

Butter look to Silver, it was his turn. He released the magic into the outer channels and took a slow breath. With a silver hand he plucked up the first weight. That was easy. He set it down and moved for the second weight. This one was a little heavier, and it dragged against his magic.

He went for the third one and tried to heft it up, but it didn't want to move. He frowned and summoned his other hand, working it under the weight. He wasn't sure if two mental hands were any stronger than one, since it all came from the same place, but it felt better. With the two mental hands he put his all into it, grunting and heaving. "Silver, this isn't a contest," warned Butter. "It's OK."

Silver wasn't having it. He heaved the weight, flipping it over even as he reared up into a standing position with his hooves raised, sympathetically making the motion that his hands had made. Butter shook her head, "Technically, you did move it. Good job."

Silver settled back down, blushing a bit. That was barely average, and he had to work so hard at it! He plucked a bar from his saddlebag and chewed it with a frown. A glance showed he wasn't the only unicorn nibbling a snack after that.

Author's Note:

The big test is coming up! Will Silver pass and get into a school? Will he get into Celestia's school? Does he deserve it? Does he have the raw talent?

Will he and Tumble confess their true feelings, that's what you all care about, admit it.

The typos couldn't pass the unicorn test and are revolting in protest.