• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 7,775 Views, 1,387 Comments

Every Cloud has a Silver Lining - David Silver



After deciding to stay in Equestria and learn its ways as a unicorn colt, Silver Lining now faces Canterlot and learning how to be a unicorn with his former-OC and Trixie to watch over him. Will he master magic, or discover the cruel side of foals.

  • ...
50
 1,387
 7,775

11 - Unpacking

Two days off in a row, who knew Equestrians had a weekend too? It was entirely logical, looking back on it. When else would they have put the convention? Smiling, Silver pranced through the living room, searching for... there it was. His eyes locked on the socket and he leaned in. It looked about the same. Maybe it'd work. He reached into his saddlebag with his magic and drew out the rubber ball. "How does this work?" he asked himself out loud as he gave it a light shake. He placed the ball on the ground and nudged it a bit as he tried focusing on exactly where the desk should appear.

The ball shuddered, then popped like a balloon. With the sound of sucking air and a harsh flash of light that left Silver seeing spots, his desk had appeared, along with his precious possessions. Silver tilted his head in surprise. The uncomfortable computer chair had come along for the ride. He hadn't even seen that in the ball! He trotted up to the chair and looked it over a moment before he rose up on his hind legs.

He swung around and dropped himself in the chair. Alright, just as uncomfortable as ever, with the added bonus of having no real place for his tail to go. Somehow feeling nostalgia for the blasted thing, he pulled himself closer to the desk, still seated in it. He began to rummage through the things on and in the desk. Bag of dice, some plastic miniatures, two things of cologne? Why? Deodorant, vitamin and fish oil pills also laid on the desk, waiting for use. Silver ignored them and continued rummaging. Ah, roleplaying books! His expression brightened as he thought of showing these to Rough Draft.

He turned his attention to the drawers. He pulled out a charging cable for his phone with a nod, and some watch batteries he couldn't think of any use for. There were also some XBox 360 controllers secured away, right underneath a copy of Ponyfinder, score. He'd definitely have to share Ponyfinder with Rough Draft. Reminded, he slipped out of the chair and circled around the desk. There were a mess of cords, but Silver had nothing but time to pick through them and slowly untangle the mess. To his relief, the power strip had come along for the ride. He set it beside the power plug and moved the plug into position. "Dang it!" he exclaimed as his plug proved to be just a tiny bit too big. "I'm too close to be stopped now." He dropped the strip to the floor with a thump and went trotting out the door to the street.

It was a lovely day, and it should be. The newspaper said they didn't schedule rain for three more days, but that would be a torrential downpour. What did a mountain city with so few farms need with rain? The idea came to Silver just as he pondered it, gardens. Celestia's fancy gardens wouldn't water themselves, to say nothing of other nobles and elite ponies with their own gardens. Silver looked around for a hardware store of some kind, trotting down the street as his head swept back and forth.

"Hey," called a familiar female voice. Silver looked over to see that red-colored mare that hung around Tumble. She was approaching at an idle trot that Silver knew on some level was an attractive gait, even if his conscious mind only got confused at the idea of any pony saunter being specifically seductive. She put a hoof on his shoulder, "I heard what you did to Tumble."

Silver's ears pinned down, "Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?"

The mare laughed, "A little of both? He was crying like a foal when he told me about it." She rolled her eyes, "I was kind of surprised he admitted to it at all." Suddenly she shoved him, making him stumble back a few paces into the street. "Let's walk."

She turned and did that saunter away. Maybe he was thinking with the wrong anatomy, but he did follow her. She led him to a small warehouse. She had the key to the door and swung it open before gesturing him inside. Silver grew hesitant, peering into the darkness of the building. With a growing expression of impatience, her horn began to glow an instant before Silver was bodily hefted up and tossed in. The door closed, bringing in darkness, though he could hear her walking around.

"So," said Silver as he regained his footing, "I never caught your name."

"You can't catch what isn't thrown," said the mare, sounding amused. "Sit." The magic was back, pulling him back towards the ground. Why was she so strong? Or was his body that weak? "Good boy." He could tell she was close by. That strange appealing scent that all mares had was there. He couldn't get a direction off just the smell. He needed to practice making use of this big nose he had. He felt something go over one of his legs and jerked away. "Sit," came her voice, close, to the left. The magic held him down as ropes quickly fastened to his legs in the darkness.

"Ok, this stopped being cool," complained Silver, struggling against the press of the magic.

Click, the lights came on, revealing the mare standing in front of a worryingly extensive set of power tools, whips, and other exotic implements that Silver couldn't even begin to guess, nor did he want to. He went into a blind panic, trying to lunge for the door only to fall over onto his face. That was becoming a habit... A glance showed all of his legs were secured with taught rope to pillars in the room. But he was a unicorn! He could get out of this. He got back up quickly and focused on the magic, only for soft lips to find his. Magic sputtered and died as he blinked at the mare tilting her head to the side to achieve a full lip-lock with him. Did she want to kill him or love him? Something cool settled down over his horn before she stepped back with a smile.

Silver looked up at the horn as best he could, "What'd you do?" He tried to focus his magic, but a sensation of congestion built quickly. "This isn't cool, please, come on."

The mare shook her head, "You damaged my property."

Silver blinked at the words, "What?"

The mare gestured vaguely, "Tumble. He's mine. He gets things done, but you damaged him. He's deathly afraid another unicorn will show him up."

Silver began to pale. This wasn't some air-headed hanger-on. She was part of the problem.

The mare lowered her head, showing off her red horn, "I don't need him being scared of unicorns. I need him being fat and happy." She did that saunter over to him, but Silver saw only looming threat, not attraction. Her magic wrapped around a riding crop that quickly lifted from its resting place and floated beside her. "I see two possible answers."

Silver shivered like a leaf, eyes locked on her, "And... those would be?"

She smiled, "I show him unicorns aren't so tough." She brought down the crop with a smart slap on Silver's flank, making him jump in place. "Or, I replace him with a more useful stallion. So which is it going to be?" She waggled her back end, though it faced away from him. "You have the look of untouched vegetables. We could change that."

Silver gave a mighty pull against the ropes, but his hoof was firmly attached. Neither the rope nor the cement column it was attached to was going anywhere. He weighed his options. Wait, why struggle? He could always get away later, right? He smiled at her nervously, "You are a pretty mare." True enough, so far he could tell. She was pretty, and terrifying. Pretty terrifying described her perfectly.

She smiled brightly, "You don't even know my name."

Silver shook his head, "Will you tell me?"

"No." The crop came down on his other flank. It stung a little, but wasn't really hurting him, but Silver had no doubt she could swing it harder, or on a more sensitive area. "Tell me why I'm pretty. Be specific."

Oh god, he didn't even know what made a mare more or less pretty than another mare. He looked her over with darting eyes, looking for those poorly defined things that made a woman hot, in this case a horse woman. "You look sexily dangerous with that crop?" he tried with a nervous smile.

She laughed, and switched the crop against his ribs, "I do, don't I? Go on."

He frowned a little. "You have a sexy walk," he said without too much conviction. It seemed hesitant speech was a thing that ponies often failed to notice, as she just smiled and sauntered around him in a slow circle. He was certain she was trying to be attractive, and it was working on the parts of him that didn't think.

She flicked her tail across his nose, giving him a peek at things he shouldn't be looking at. "I'm going to break you. Then you'll beg for it."

Silver felt panic rise in his chest. His heartbeat went into overdrive, pounding in his ears. "Oh god, did you do this to Tumble?"

She tilted her head, "Huh? No. That big oaf is too stupid to play with." She flashed her flat white teeth, "You're going to be much more fun. Maybe I'll forgive you for breaking my toy. Kneel."

Silver hesitated a moment and the crop swatted him on the neck in a painful stinging. He reared back slightly before he began to slowly settle to the ground at the hooves of the domineering mare. "That's right," she said, "This is a stallion's place, at the hooves of his mare. A happy mare is a happy stallion." She brought the crop down near the base of his tail. Was that called a dock? Whatever it was, it twitched at the painful crop's presence. "We will be so happy together."

The door of the warehouse suddenly exploded inwards. Silver wrenched his head over to see Rough Draft just turning back around. He stomped into the building, fury clear in his eyes. The mare went wide-eyed at the full grown earth pony and her crop fell to the ground. She dashed off into the warehouse at a full gallop, soon lost to sight as she ducked around an aisle of tools. Rough trotted up to Silver and leaned down. He bit through the ropes quickly, then... suddenly kissed his horn. Why did that feel so good?! He licked it!

Rough pulled off the horn and spat the ring that was on it off. With a soft snort he looked around, then back at Silver with a smile, "You're safe."

Silver believed him, and a smile spread over his snout, "Good timing. I think she was getting really close to the next step. That's not really the way I wanted to stop being a virgin."

Rough softly nudged Silver, "How do you get in half these situations? You're an impossible colt." He threw a foreleg over Silver and began walking him out to the street, "You can tell me all about it later."

With Rough at his side, Silver found a hardware store quickly, and returned home feeling ready. "You won't believe what I found! My old book, the one I wrote before I came here!" Already the experience with the mare was fading away to a confusing jumble in favor of sharing with Rough Draft.

When they arrived at the house, Silver quickly trotted over to where he left the stack of roleplaying books and grabbed them in a silver hand before bringing them over to Rough Draft. "Look, real human books, on roleplaying."

Rough Draft gave a soft whistle at the treasure trove. "It's going to take me a while to read them. Which ones did you write?"

Silver quickly pulled out the Ponyfinder book and pointed with a hoof at it. Rough Draft snorted softly. He took the book by the spine in his mouth and trotted off with it. Silver looked after his departing form, then returned to the desk. With the tools he purchased, he went to work on the plug. He was no electrician by any means, but it was so close! He filed the metal down and squeezed them together until he could force the plug into the outlet. The light on the strip turned on, and his computer began booting immediately. He forgot he set it to do that. He clapped his hooves together even as a silver hand pressed the tiny button that would turn on the monitor.

This was a good day.

Author's Note:

Overly-Attached Marefriend strikes again! Come on, Silver, she'd show you a good time. Stop squirming so much.

The words were tortured, so look for strained sentences, twisted verb-noun agreements, and spanked spelling.